What food as surprised you with the number of calories, fat,

Options

Replies

• Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    We all know beer is empty calories, carb-loaded, blah blah blah. But some take it to the extreme. My absolute favorite beer, Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Barleywine-style Ale. One 12 ounce bottle is 520 calories. Let me repeat that, ONE 12 OUNCE BOTTLE OF BIGFOOT IS 520 CALORIES! And to think I used to drink that by the sixer!

^^^ WHOAH! That's so many calories!!!^^^
  • babycoconut249
    babycoconut249 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This might sound silly but, the calories in Pop Tarts the Smores kind. I mean people give this to their kids for breakfast. Each one is 200 calories, BUT they put two to a package, so your eating 400 calories right there. And your not even full afterward either.
  • coatsie79
    coatsie79 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Quiche....I usually have 1/2 a small bacon & leek quiche with a salad for lunch on a Saturday. That's 598 Calories!!!

I shouldn't be suprised though, all that cream and cheese. Didn't stop me having it today again though.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Cheese! Sargento Colby Jack cheese cubes are 110 calories for 7 cubes!
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I'm still at the point in my journey that I have a high calorie allowance and a high burn, so I don't really worry so much about the calories in the things I really want to eat, what has gotten to me is the amount of sodium in the things I thought were "healthy". Frozen chicken breast has a crazy amount of sodium in it. I get a salad with grilled chicken from Panera and it has 900mg of sodium in it. No wonder I felt like a water balloon. When I first started keeping track of it, I was consuming average 10,000 mg of sodium a day without even thinking about it.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    2 things: first is muffins, i totally agree with that one! esp the Otis Spunkmeyer....owch they're high in calories & fat!

another is a salad from our fav sandwich shop. we thought we were getting a healthy alternative to the sandwiches, and turns out, the 1,000 calorie salad we ordered (1 each!!!) was more than some of their low-cal sandwich varieties!!! and there really wasn't much in the salad to constitute the high cal. it was lean chicken (not fried) and low-cal dressing too! ugh!
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    The amount of sugar in milk. If I have cereal for breakfast I struggle to stay under my sugar allowance for the day. And I love milk :frown:
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Cereal surprised me. I've always known (roughly) how many calories are in the recommended serving size of cereal, but when I started weighing it out I realised I'd pour 3x the recommended amount in my bowl, taking it between 400-500 calories BEFORE the milk!
  • nancyl8198
    nancyl8198 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to meet my friends at TGI Friday's (not my idea) and was looking at the calories - holy cow - almost everything on the menu is over 1000 calories!! I can't believe it. Even the stuff they say is healthy has 750 calories. Ugh - I'm gonna have a really small dinner tonight!!!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    anything from cheesecake factory. that stuff averages at the low end 1200 most has alot more than that

Their new skinnylicious menu is pretty exciting! I'm impressed with them....it took them a looooong time to get with the program, and their sodium is still HIGH but finally a whole bunch of low cal choices!
  • kaylynn54
    Options
    I was surprised how many calories are in cornbread, even without butter it is crazy high in calories!

No wonder I am so fat!!! I could eat cornbread and black-eyed peas for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!!! Although I have not touched a piece of cornbread since I have joined MFP :-)
  • katharos3
    katharos3 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Baked goods. I love to bake, and I knew that cakes and muffins weren't good for you, but I never really understood how bad they were until I started loggin on here. I thought something was medically wrong with me because I was gaining weight SO quickly. But it was just all the cake I was eating. lol I've had to mostly give up my baking hobby, because I can't stop myself from eating it when it's in the house. Now I plan my baking for special occasions or for when I can give away most of it. :)
  • BrownEyedBetty
    BrownEyedBetty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Chipotle... i could eat there everyday! : (
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to put in here that if you can get Dreamfield Pasta in your area, it' wonderful. It's low carb and is the ONLY pasta that does not stall me. I love it and it comes in every shape, even lasagna noodles! It's in a black box. You can't miss it.

I think 10 cashews at 170 cals floors me!
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Ranch dressing :( I love the stuff and never in my life thought it was that high in cal :( I still use in on sandwiches I`m just very careful with messureing it now ( I hate Mayo and mustard so I can`t give ranch up )

Marie's makes a yogurt Ranch dressing that is super yummy and only 70 cals for 2 tbsp..... I love it and 1/2 the cals and fat of regular
  • kaylynn54
    Options
    The amount of sugar in milk. If I have cereal for breakfast I struggle to stay under my sugar allowance for the day. And I love milk :frown:

Have you tried almond milk? Almond milk has a lot less calories per 8 oz. serving, usually about 60 calories. I absolutely LOVE it, and when I want to give myself a special treat, I will have an 8 oz. glass of vanilla almond milk. It has 90 calories per 8 oz. serving, but it is still lower in calories than milk.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Chicken thigh with skin.
    Was a liiiitle over my fat goal for the day lol
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Jesung?date=2011-09-01
  • kaylynn54
    Options

Have you tried almond milk? Almond milk has a lot less calories per 8 oz. serving, usually about 60 calories. I absolutely LOVE it, and when I want to give myself a special treat, I will have an 8 oz. glass of vanilla almond milk. It has 90 calories per 8 oz. serving, but it is still lower in calories than milk.

I also need to add that the milk that I buy for my husband has 12 grams of sugar but my almond milk only has 7 grams of sugar :-) On the downside, the vanilla almond milk has 15 grams of sugar, but it is soooooooo good!!!!!!!
  • ursulas2002
    Options
    IHOP garden omlette! You think you are doning good because it is packed with veggies, but think again! 1,030 calories 20.5g saturated fat 1,230mg sodium it's crazy how bad this is for you!
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Pizza. Oh my god the amount of calories.