Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Baked potatoes!
  • hedleyrocks247
    hedleyrocks247 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    tim hortons timbits... yes, i know they're mini donuts in a sense... but, still, 50-70 cals a pop.. and before i started this, it was nothing for me to get a 20 pack, and eat them throughout the day... that's 1000-1400 cals in one shot... not to mention everything else i'd eat in a day...

Totally agree with this one!!! And Tim Horton's xl English Toffee coffees - I knew that they wouldn't be "low" cal by any means....but almost 500 for a cup?!?!?! I used to drink a couple a day!!! Not anymore! Started MFP had one, entered it, and said NO MORE!!! Haven't looked back since!!! I have a timbit once in a while....that's right - one timbit - sour cream glazed = 90 calories for one.....i try to make it last as long as possible!!! Big change from slamming back 10 in a couple of hours LOL!!!
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Nothing really surprise me except how much diet food are not worth the calories!!!! i'd rather eat full fat cheese and mayo than to eat the low fat stuff.
    This! I stick with full fat cheese and milk etc. I much prefer the taste of them so to me it's worth the extra calories.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Flatbreads and tortillas are so calorific for what they are - I don't make home made vege enchiladas for myself anymore cause I can't afford the tortilla calories!

You have to eat way too many calories of pasta to get anywhere near full also.

I think most wheat based products are really bad at filling you up - I still eat bread, and sometimes weetbix for breakfast, but I now keep away from wheat based noodles and pasta, flat breads, and biscuits.
  • it_be_asin
    Options
    My friend gets 500 more calories a day, and he's losing 1 pound a week, and I am on maintenance? WTFOMGBBQ!
  • it_be_asin
    Options
    Pizza surprised me cause of how few calories it had for thin crust vegetarian varieties. It's a lot easier for me to fit in for dinner than what I first thought.

Cheesecake, however, is higher in calories than what I thought, one slice = dinner!
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Booze and bakery! I always knew these were high calorie but until I started actually weighing (bakery) and measuring (booze) I didn't realize how quickly the calories add up. Good thing for me that I'm not a fan of exotic mixed drinks, so can keep the calorie total by having water or seltzer as a mixer. Some people recommend the lower calorie versions of some types of alcohol but I've not found the taste of them to my liking. Kind of like low fat cheese vs. regular cheese.

For what it's worth, the recipe tool on MFP is really great to get accurate calories counts for your own recipes. I've created a few for favorite desserts that I often bring to potlucks, etc., and am able to consume them in moderation.
  • catniph
    Options
    Fruit...
    When I first dieted I was soooo shocked by how quickly the calories added up... and oooh the sugar!!!

Whenever I mention to someone that I'm only having really small portions of fruit they always seem shocked too.
    "But it's so good for you; you HAVE to eat at least 5 portions of fruit!" I now just try to get all my goodies from veg instead as it's loads less calorific!!
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Pizza hut pepperoni personal pan pizza.. I used to get these all the time at Target with the breadsticks combo on lunch breaks... Of course I knew it would be high, but wow. Just the personal pan itself is 610 calories... If you eat the breadsticks without the sauce, that's another 420. So very yummy, but not worth it man!
  • vannie18
    Options
    I was really craving pancakes yesterday so I thought I'd buy a shake and pour...well I looked at the back, and it says 2 pancakes are a serving, and there are 3 servings in the container, and I know I would probably end up eating the whole container. One serving was 220 calories!!! No thanks!! Not worth it. I just had a delish breakfast for 360 calories that is nutritious, I would rather have that!

Is really easy to make your own pancakes from scratch, that way you can control what goes in it.
  • apash
    apash Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had Grimaldi's thin crust cheese pizza last night and I was surprised 2 slices= 625 calories! I was shocked because it has a really thin crust and not too much cheese. I had to do several Google searches and that is what I came up with, it still does not seem right to me...
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Pasta shocked me- and cheese- I can munch and munch on cheese- like yesterday- holy moly! 600 calories on cheese!

Also, the keebler original chocolate chip cookies I just ate (lol)- I had three and didn't realize it's 230 calories!!! whoops.
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    pizza and ranch dressing. Pizza used to be my favorite "food". But heck, at like 300-400 cals a slice..no thanks. I used to also eat ranch dressing on EVERYTHING. We'd go otu to dinner and I'd eat all of my french fries dipped in ranch dressing. Fat dipped in fat. Can't even stomach the thought of that anymore.
  • booatx
    Options
    Something I learned in all of my health food investigating is that Fast food as a general rule is not the enemy. It is still the choices you make at those fast food establishments. I use to think that fast food places were the scourge of the earth, but after watching a health documentary show (Fathead) on netflix and then finding the myfitnesspal app on my iphine, I visit fast food places regularly. One thing you gotta love about fast food options is their consistency. the nutritional content is very dependable and easy to gauge. If you think fast food is the enemy, I definitely reccomend you watch this show. Under the weekly care of my doctor, I implemented the strategy outlined by this movie and even my doctor had to ask me if my results were real. I only logged onto myfitnesspal a few weeks ago, but I lost 30 pouds prior to becoming a member. Check it out!
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
  • lovinmamaxo
    Options
    An Italian cannoli yes it's bakery but OMGOSH!!! Check out the calorie content on those and they are not even all that big!
  • ShellyElson
    Options
    Oh where to start! I can't believe some of the stuff they put in things, and it usually the most innocent looking things. But then on the flip side, I'm amazed at the stuff I thought would be laden with Calories and isn't actually that bad and also the abundance of the lighter versions of foods popping up in the UK now. I honestly don't feel I'm missing out or are deprived of anything because with a little forethought, awareness and planning I am actually enjoying what I'm eating. I'm also experimenting with foods I thought I hated and I'm enjoying some of them now. I have a hectic life as most people do and I don't have time to prepare lots of of complex lunches or dinners, but I am finding the options are so varied now, meal preparation is quick, simple and above all, affordable.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    pizza and ranch dressing. Pizza used to be my favorite "food". But heck, at like 300-400 cals a slice..no thanks. I used to also eat ranch dressing on EVERYTHING. We'd go otu to dinner and I'd eat all of my french fries dipped in ranch dressing. Fat dipped in fat. Can't even stomach the thought of that anymore.

I was the same way! A total rancaholic, used to eat it with everything. Fries and ranch were my fave... I still eat it every now and again though, but only light ranch with carrots!
  • lovinmamaxo
    Options
    luncheon meat- i get it in for the kids, and have a tendency to nibble at it. i even got the low fat one thinking it would be better. the cals aren't that bad, but have you seen the amount of sodium in 1 slice????? like 1500 per piece!

the amount of cals in nuts makes me sad.

but ice blocks are awesome! i get small ones for the kids and they're only 35 cals each! i can eat them all :-)

I get the Thin-n-Trim the roast beef variety is best in terms of calorie wise and sodium. I also get Thin-n-Trim honey roasted turkey breast those are low cal but around 470mg sodium for 2 slices. May be a much better option for you though. =)
  • MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    On the high side I miss Pizza (I have always known it was high cal but the lack of protein, unless you go for the super fatty meat feast option, means if I eat pizza I usually miss my protein target by miles). I also miss cheese. Even with the low fat cheeses I have to eat a lot less than I used to.

The biggest surprise was the amount of calories in a smoothie, I assumed lots of fruit is good, but I guess you can have too much of a good thing!

Biggest surprise lately on the low side was a indivdual serving yorkshire pudding at only 39 calories - I was expecting it to be three times that (so I had two - which I probably shouldn't have, all carbs and fat!!)