What food as surprised you with the number of calories, fat,

Options

Replies

• cjack19
    cjack19 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    The amount of sugar in milk. If I have cereal for breakfast I struggle to stay under my sugar allowance for the day. And I love milk :frown:

:noway: ME TOO!!! :noway: I have 1percent in my smoothie and was SHOCKED that that was sugar in it! WHO KNEW!!??!!?? Going to switch to skim/nonfat after this jug is gone.... :( I love my milk too
  • TressaBarron
    Options
    Pizza. Oh my god the amount of calories.

^^This... So sad... And beer! I knew it wasn't good, but damn, the good beers I like pack a wallop! I used to think nothing of having 3-4 beers on a night out... not anymore! But I did find this article for the beer drinkers around here. They list some good beers under 200 calories a bottle. Unfortunately, that's still A LOT! ha ha ha.

http://www.austinfitmagazine.com/Nutrition/Features/2009/October/21-healthy-beers.html :drinker:
  • Natasha233
    Natasha233 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have been ordering the "grande mocha frappucino light" at Starbucks from time to time... after I entered in at MFP, I realized that it has 17 GRAHAMS OF SUGAR! Yikes! This "light" propaganda is a total lie. Yeah it's only 140 calories, but still - the sugar is being retained.

And balance bars...17 grahams of sugar per bar!!!

This is supposed to act as a healthy option?
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I recently went to Applebee's and had the 550 calorie dinner option. When it came time for dessert, and my companion ordered the brownie, I ordered the tiny little chocolate mousse shooter. About 5 bites and 450 calories!!!!!!!!! FOUR HUNDRED FIFTY?!?!?! That was almost as much as the steak and broccoli I ate!
  • PlumLovin
    Options
    Anything barbequed the southern way!! Football season has started & I have been shocked at the amount of fat, sugar & calories that are in any type of barbeque!! Not even chicken is safe with the sauce around here!!

Cereal was a big shocker to me too b/c I love it & used to eat it all the time. Hmmmm....maybe that's where this extra 20lbs has come from!!
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

Have you tried almond milk? Almond milk has a lot less calories per 8 oz. serving, usually about 60 calories. I absolutely LOVE it, and when I want to give myself a special treat, I will have an 8 oz. glass of vanilla almond milk. It has 90 calories per 8 oz. serving, but it is still lower in calories than milk.
    Hehe, just finding regular milk recently has been a challenge never mind almond milk. Recently moved to Germany and don't speak the language yet. I'm learning though and keeping an eye out for things so will bear this in mind, thanks.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I was really craving pancakes yesterday so I thought I'd buy a shake and pour...well I looked at the back, and it says 2 pancakes are a serving, and there are 3 servings in the container, and I know I would probably end up eating the whole container. One serving was 220 calories!!! No thanks!! Not worth it. I just had a delish breakfast for 360 calories that is nutritious, I would rather have that!
  • naturechyld
    Options
    Rice-a-roni! Especially since I was accustomed to eating more than a serviIts like 260 cal in a serving to begin with. Tiles!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I recently went to Applebee's and had the 550 calorie dinner option. When it came time for dessert, and my companion ordered the brownie, I ordered the tiny little chocolate mousse shooter. About 5 bites and 450 calories!!!!!!!!! FOUR HUNDRED FIFTY?!?!?! That was almost as much as the steak and broccoli I ate!

At least you didn't eat the Maple Blondie like I did...900 calories later.
  • turnerjh
    Options
    I agree with the restaurant salads...Zaxby's buffaloed blue salad made me very sad. It weighs in at 1140 calories and 80 grams of fat. Holy moly!

8913474.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Macaroni and Cheese... Holy Crapolla!!! A serving is 1 cup, ONE measly cup, who eats a CUP of Mac and Cheese???
    400 calories for that.... I almost cried when I realized it!

Then I ate at a friends not that long ago and it was on the plate, she was kind and only gave me a "taste", 200 calories later, I realized it doesn't really taste as good as I remember! Course, I'm 30 pounds lighter, and having not eaten a whole lotta processed foods for a couple months.

Sonia

I love mac and cheese too! I am usually fine eating just a cup though, especially if I eat some steamed veggies and/or grilled chicken to go with it. Give it a try!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Nothing really surprise me except how much diet food are not worth the calories!!!! i'd rather eat full fat cheese and mayo than to eat the low fat stuff.
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    Pinto beans. One cup is like 360 calories. Another one of those healthy meals that just doesn't seem worth it when added up.
  • Kate6868
    Kate6868 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    mine is for the opposite. i'm totally surprized at how FEW calories are in my fav roasted red pepper hummus. i can have two TABLESPOONS and it's only 70 cals?! i could eat a gallon of the stuff. it's like heaven on veggies.

Mine is also hummus, but when I looked at the calories for the entire container (MY portion size), it was downright scary! LOL
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Ice cream. I was shocked how high the calories is in a bowl of icecream. And really sad too

On the otherside, sushi and popsicles. At a company picnic I had a popsicle, checked the calories, and for a massive popsicle (it was a spiderman one lol), it was 90 calories. Sushi i can eat about 1.5 rolls, and only eat about 400 calories
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I would say pasta, cheese, ice cream. I am pretty much avoiding pasta now even though I love it. It doesn't really keep you full for the amount of calories you consume.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    luncheon meat- i get it in for the kids, and have a tendency to nibble at it. i even got the low fat one thinking it would be better. the cals aren't that bad, but have you seen the amount of sodium in 1 slice????? like 1500 per piece!

the amount of cals in nuts makes me sad.

but ice blocks are awesome! i get small ones for the kids and they're only 35 cals each! i can eat them all :-)
  • TrishaRN_74
    TrishaRN_74 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    For diet food, I have been eating the Michelina's Lean Gourmet...they are quite tasty, usually under 300 cals, and even the sodium isn't outrageous. And the best part....they're like $1 - $1.25 each! And SO easy to take to work for lunch!

I've also been very good with my salads...I make a nice big salad with 1 cup of lettuce, tomato, green peppers, cucumbers, 1/8 cup of shredded cheese, 1 slice of ham and 1 slice of turkey, and 1 hard boiled egg white. Top it off with 1 teaspoon of EVOO and some Nature's seasoning and I've got about 200 - 225 cals for that meal and a whole lot of food!
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Good grief - tortilla wraps! I made fajitas last week, and ate three, and it was about two-thirds of my daily calorie allowance on the wraps alone before I got to the chicken & veg!
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    We all know beer is empty calories, carb-loaded, blah blah blah. But some take it to the extreme. My absolute favorite beer, Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Barleywine-style Ale. One 12 ounce bottle is 520 calories. Let me repeat that, ONE 12 OUNCE BOTTLE OF BIGFOOT IS 520 CALORIES! And to think I used to drink that by the sixer!
    Of course, Dude. Bigfoot is a barleywine at over 9% ABV with a lot of residual sugars.

I litebeer is made up of about 2 oz of barley. Bigfoot uses about 7 oz, probably. Most of the calories in that barley ends up in the finished beer.