Honest opinion required... (pic)

Options

Replies

• Heidi64
    Heidi64 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Not sure how many people posted this, as I didn't read all the comments. I do know at least one person said it and I agree. Your friend is mistaking your self-consciousness for looking "aged". YOU like the dress. YOU are a very beautiful woman. What YOU need to do now is believe in yourself and GO ROCK THIS WORLD!!!! Anything decent looking (and the dress is more than that) will look FABULOUS on someone that walks with pride and confidence. Go get 'em woman. You've earned that right!
  • soonskinny01
    Options
    Coming from someone who doesn't wear dresses...you look great. KUDOS to you for stepping outside your comfort zone and wearing a dress. The more you step out of your zone the more you grow. And if that dress made YOU feel good, then that is all that counts. So proud of you! keep pushing your boundries!!!
  • jem728
    Options
    You look great!!!
  • Luckiestmomever
    Luckiestmomever Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Every person you ask will have a different opinion. IF you trust her advice because she knows you well, then be glad you have a friend who can be honest. Lord knows I wish someone had been honest with me and told me I looked huge. In the end, no ones opinion of your clothes should matter except yours. If you love it wear it! Who needs her approval anyway?
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    1) You look great!
    2) The sweater is not my favorite to be honest. I think the dress would look a lot better without it, or if you could find one that just covers your arms and is open, or wear it plain! It's not as bad as you might think, and I hate my arms too.
    3) I know you didn't ask about this...but your shoes kind of cut your leg off, and they're not very youthful. You could totally pull off black heels!!
  • kelley_lynn
    kelley_lynn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Over all... how did you feel??? Did you like the way you looked?? I took it that you did. WTG thats the important thing, how you felt. Not what others think, we all, like different things, be it colour, shape, stripes what ever.
  • aalanclose
    aalanclose Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i guessed your age at 22-23 and then checked your profile, it definitely doesn't make you look older than you are, honestly - you are really pretty, don't let that person make you feel bad
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Doesn't age you, but the dress doesn't "fashion" on you well.
  • kaylynn54
    Options
    I got myself what I thought was a nice dress yesterday and wore it last night to see my 2 friends for my birthday. I never usually wear dresses and wanted to start wearing them more often now i'm a little happier with my shape.

We had a picture taken last night and I put it on facebook, whereby a good friend of mine (who always gives her honest opinion) told me that it didn't really look good and it 'ages' me. To be honest, it is a terrible picture of me but the comment really cut me deep. I already have big issues with my self esteem and this just knocked my confidence right back. I just wanted to know if I really do look as bad as she made me feel...

This dress by the way is sleeveless. I just wear a black shrug over the top to hide my awful fatty arms. I'm the blonde on the left by the way.

307213_2236199817268_1016144222_2532509_1565277848_n.jpg

I actually like the dress and how it looks on you. Everybody is going to have a different opinion, but I think that the majority of people would tell you that you look great and keep up the great work :-)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I love the dress - I know not everyone likes florals but I think the combo of the black and the colours looks great.
    I think you could get away without the cover up, but you have to wear what makes you comfortable.
    You look really cute!
  • atd81
    atd81 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you look lovely. Your legs look great, and I love the shoes. The dress itself is really pretty, and I'm going to go with the majority of the opinions on here and say that you would look better without the shrug.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Sweetie...you know what I think already. Be true to yourself and let her comments roll off your back...I know more easily saif than done. Been there done that and I still feel bad at time when someone makes a comment at me that's negative. I just remind myself that I am being healthy and fit for myself...no matter what anyone thinks. If someone...even my best friend or the man I'm dating says that I don't look good in something and yet I feel amazing...it's for me...not them. As long as I love myself I will be okay. Also...as I mentioned earlier...you look amazing! *MUAH*
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It doesn't age you at all - what was your friend on about?! My one gripe with your outfit is your shoes - the ankle strap cuts your leg off and makes them look shorter than I suspect they actually are (camera angle may also have something to do with that). I think I'd go for a simple black court shoe, or perhaps a peep toe or sandal?

You are beautiful so don't let your friend's insensitive comments get you down.
  • garysgirl719
    garysgirl719 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I am going to disagree with 99% of the comments here. I don't think your friend was rude, insensitive, or jealous. I think she was being a good friend.

While I may not always agree with my friends opinions, I would MUCH rather they give them to me honest, than sugarcoat them. Lets face it, if our friends are thinking it, so are the strangers. A jealous, rude comment would be "You look like an old cow". Your friend didn't do that. She tried to nicely suggest you wear something "younger".

As for the dress, I think it's precious. I do agree with everyone else that it would look better without the cover up. I would love to see it with a nice pink bolero lenth short sleeved sweater.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I love the dress and I think it makes your legs look fantastic. I also think you look the youngest in the picture. However, I am 31 years old so if I want to wear it and you're much younger, maybe your friend has a point? In any case, it is fresh and pretty and I love it.

Just a word of advice about the shrug - the sleeves look a little too tight as evidenced by the color of your skin showing through. A different color (like pink) would probably be a better choice. I also prefer longer sweaters to where a shrug or bolero hit my body.
  • dnsrmr
    dnsrmr Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think you look very nice. You're a very pretty woman, and your dress is very tasteful. If your friend is critical about you, can you imagine how she is with herself? It's hard to deal with someone else's criticism, but I've always believed the saying "A lot of things are opened by mistake, but none so often as the mouth"
    If she's a good friend, and you asked - remember that was just her opinion as your friend, but if you read all these posts - you will get your answer to honest opinions :o)
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    It's cute, floral and fun! I love those shoes with it as all; a very cute look. Very summery and "flirty." I do agree with others saying that it would look even better without the shrug, but that will come as your confidence increases, with time. :smile:
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Honestly! I think that she may be a little jealous of your success!

I have had comments like that blown my way and then I heard them talking saying they wish they could look as good as me etc etc

PS don't think she is the nicest friend no offense.

I was thinking this exactly. You look cute. I think many girls are just way too competitive. Whether they are smaller or not. If she's bigger than you, well yeah she wishes she could do what you did! If she's smaller, she's probably scared that you are going to steal her light with your cuteness and whatnot. Screw her.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Honest manly opinion coming up. You look rocking :) nuff said. And I'm from Middlesex so you know I know my shiz ;)
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    Honestly?

The top half definitely ages you, but as far as the bottom half (and the actual dress), I think you look good. The shrug (I don't think that's a shrug BTW) makes you look like you're in the 50s and doesn't compliment the style of the dress at all. I also think it makes you look bigger than you actually are.

So no you don't look horrible, but next time try and open sweater with the dress and I bet you'll look better!

Yep, you should have gone with a cropped, open cardigan in a lighter color to brighten the look up and open up your face and neck. The lace is way too heavy/busy to go with that cut of dress and it honestly does make you look a little dowdy. The dress itself cuts you in a great place on your leg and the shoes were a really good choice but you need to lighten it up, not drag it down. Covering up doesn't have to mean being heavy or aged! Pop on a white or nude colored cardigan and you'll look 50 times cuter :)