Old Sayings

Options

Replies

• tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Another gem from Granny...

On, erm, flatulance...(burping and the other)

"Better to let it out and bare the shame than to hold it in and bare the pain."

(and yes I use this all the time when I burp :laugh: :laugh: )

Or

"It's not bad manners...just good food"
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    When something said was ignored it was "like water off a ducks back"
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    When someone I knew was hungover or feeling bad they'd say " I feel like I've been ate by a bear, and *kitten* off a cliff"!
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Busier than a one-leggd man in an *kitten* kicking contest
  • tashjs21
    Options
    When someone I knew was hungover or feeling bad they'd say " I feel like I've been ate by a bear, and *kitten* off a cliff"!

:noway: :noway: Now that is one I have never heard. :laugh:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    How about these?

Nervous as a cat in a roomful of rocking chairs.

Wound up like an $8 clock?
  • BEFORE
    BEFORE Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

I'm surprised.
    :drinker:
    :bigsmile:
    :smooched:
  • tashjs21
    Options

I'm surprised.
    :drinker:
    :bigsmile:
    :smooched:

:embarassed: Maybe, I have and I just don't remember. :drinker: :laugh: :laugh:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Another gem from Granny...

On, erm, flatulance...(burping and the other)

"Better to let it out and bare the shame than to hold it in and bare the pain."

(and yes I use this all the time when I burp :laugh: :laugh: )

Or

"It's not bad manners...just good food"

Regarding the other, my mom used to say "There's more room on the outside than there is on the inside".
  • MsLaine
    MsLaine Posts: 10
    Options
    Hey. I'm from Maine. My mother always told me to go play in the door yard and then got mad at me because I didn't know where the hell it was! Anybody else out there from Maine that can direct me to it? It's not to late to find it is it?????
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Hey. I'm from Maine. My mother always told me to go play in the door yard and then got mad at me because I didn't know where the hell it was! Anybody else out there from Maine that can direct me to it? It's not to late to find it is it?????

That's a new one on me. Never heard of a door yard. :ohwell:
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    How about, "more busy than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest!"

I always heard "busier than a one armed paperhanger".
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Back to the sayings topic....my grandma had the best saying when someone ticked her off. "Go *kitten* in a hat and pull it over your ears" I crack up every time I picture this.

I`ve heard *kitten* in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up first.

Dang, You can't get more pessimistic than that.
  • FloridaGranny
    FloridaGranny Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    As kids, my older brother used to tell us "go play in the street"..........

Now I tell him " You could hide your own Easter Eggs"......................... (KNOW WHAT I MEAN!!!)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

door·yard (dôryärd, dr-)
    n.
    The yard in front of the door of a house.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
  • MsLaine
    Options
    door·yard (dôryärd, dr-)
    n.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Well that was too damn easy wasn't it! I don't recall having a yard with a door. Driveway then yard....I guess that'll do!
  • MsLaine
    Options
    door·yard (dôryärd, dr-)
    n.

Well that was too damn easy wasn't it! I don't recall having a yard with a door. Driveway then yard....I guess that'll do!
  • MsLaine
    Options
    How about cold molasses going uphill?
  • MsLaine
    Options
    As in, he was slower than cold molasses running uphill
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    door·yard (dôryärd, dr-)
    n.

Walt Whitman (1819–1892). Leaves of Grass. 1900.

When Lilacs Last in the Door-yard Bloom’d

from http://www.dooryard.ca/index0.html
    dooryard \'dor-yard\ n - The exterior area of a home surrounding the most commonly used entryway, typically the driveway area; "Buddy does a good job of plowin' out th' dooryard." A logical extension of "barnyard," "back yard" and "front yard," it is likely that this compound word grew out of a necessity to distinguish working areas from living areas. In a practice common to the region, homes were attached to barns and other out-buildings; dooryard identifies the exterior area of a home not given over to farming. A household word in the County, dooryard is seldom heard elsewhere. NEXT»