• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    Okay, it's settled once and for all.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Werd yo!

There is also a big difference between "attacking" an idea/advice and "attacking" someone personally
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    This world needs more BearTigers. :)
  • trinityj1
    trinityj1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Completely agree.

People here are less willing to engage in a discussion involving disagreement than any community I've ever browsed. Caring and kindness aren't all pats on the back. I warn people: don't ask for my opinion if you don't want to hear the truth, because I don't believe in lying to spare your feelings right now when the hurt will be tripled in the long run.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    BearTiger is always right. So listen to him! =D
  • ncgatorfan
    Options
    Dead on right. Totally agree and well said!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I'm all about honesty. However, there is a difference between constructive honesty and brutal honesty. While most people here are honestly trying to help people, even if that means telling them something they don't want to hear, there are most definitely people here who put people down. You can tell the difference. MFP is just a sampling of society. We have those people who put others down to make themselves feel better. It's just a fact. I agree that we should not keep our mouths shut unless it's to say something nice, but on that same note, I believe in trying to shut up the naysayers and constantly negative people, too.
  • Ireshgurl
    Options
    Isn't there a saying "honesty is the best policy"?? I personally prefer that over the whole "if you ain't got nothing nice to say"....
    I totally agree with part 2.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Agree wholeheartedly...sunshine and flowers responses are what helped me GAIN weight. I don't want sunshine and flowers, I want a good slap in the face when I need it!
  • RocketsGirl75
    Options
    So now it all becomes clear....this is why I :heart: you!

LOL!

:flowerforyou:
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Why does any one person get to "shut up" the naysayers? Or "negative people"

That attitude lost us Taso who was easily the most valuable, friendly, supportive, truthful person on here.

One persons nattering nabob of negativity is another person's lifeline. Perhaps people need to get off of their mission to rid the mfp world of that which they do not approve
  • Ireshgurl
    Options

That attitude lost us Taso who was easily the most valuable, friendly, supportive, truthful person on here.

One persons nattering nabob of negativity is another person's lifeline. Perhaps people need to get off of their mission to rid the mfp world of that which they do not approve

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • PatientBearTiger
    Options

Thank you for saying that in a much more constructive way than I ever would have.
  • trixylewis
    trixylewis Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i appreciate honesty in my life...
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

I think I love you.
  • macpatti
    Options

I have no idea who Taso is, nor did I say I wanted to "rid the mfp world" of that which I do not approve. There is a difference between telling people the truth, even if it's a good kick in the butt, and putting people down. It doesn't take a genius to know the difference. Why is it okay for some people to be honest, but others have to keep quiet when they don't agree with the way it's done? Tell someone they shouldn't rely on drinking lemon water to lose weight. But, don't tell them that they're a frigin idiot if they do. It's the latter comments that bother me.
  • macpatti
    Options

3 - We are all adults. Get a grip. No one is purposely putting anyone down the way many people were insulted in school growing up. Why can't we have an intelligent debate with opposing viewpoints without people saying "they are just trying to make themselves feel better by putting you down" or "they are a troll" or "I'm going to go tell mommy" or something along those lines? Opposing viewpoints are good people!! Quit being so defensive and you just might learn something about yourself. I know I have since joining MFP.

[/quote

I was responding to your third point. You said "no one is purposely putting anyone down". I disagree. There are people on here who do troll and do try to put others down by belittling them. Opposing viewpoints and constructive debates are great. I'm not talking about those at all. You really cannot believe that no one on here trolls or is intentionally rude to others. It happens all the time.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

I have no idea who Taso is, nor did I say I wanted to "rid the mfp world" of that which I do not approve. There is a difference between telling people the truth, even if it's a good kick in the butt, and putting people down. It doesn't take a genius to know the difference. Why is it okay for some people to be honest, but others have to keep quiet when they don't agree with the way it's done? Tell someone they shouldn't rely on drinking lemon water to lose weight. But, don't tell them that they're a frigin idiot if they do. It's the latter comments that bother me.

Its not a difference in being honest by saying something in a kind or rude way. The difference is in saying the truth directly to a person or behind their backs, to someone else. I am sure you can understand the difference here.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options

and if someone calls someone else a "frigin idiot" :huh: - then you REPORT that post. Not make a huge deal about it. You do know how to report, don't you?
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    truth truth... usually the ones who get upset about honesty are the ones that just wanted someone to say what they wanted to hear... that's with anything, not just weight loss.