I Beg You......PROVE ME WRONG!!!!

Options

Replies

• kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly sure what #2 means but I have lost 90 pounds and I'm single with no kids. Does that prove your statement or disprove?
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    1. 89% of people who have posted pictures on here have been at thier goal weight at one point in time in their adult life, or highschool aged (don't know what to call that) life. So it's kind of like its a do-over. They've been there once, they know they can do it, and they did it again. Big whoop.
    Might be true -- so what? You can do it, too, whether you've ever been there before or not.
    2. Anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight (I'm going to say 50lbs or more) cannot be single and have kids.
    Wouldn't all that running around *help* you lose weight? It counts as exercise. :)
    3. Anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight spends a majority of thier day exercising.
    Just plain false. In fact, you don't have to exercise at all to lose weight. See: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/238136-myfitnesspal-builds-in-your-deficit-for-you
    4. 75% of women on MFP have their calories set at 1200 intentionally, even if MFP calculated them at 1600-1700 etc.
    Maybe so. But if they understood how the system really works, they wouldn't ignore the recommendations. See: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics. Also it has nothing to do with being a woman or not.
    5. The average amount of time to lose weight and keep it off is longer than what is on here. I.e. losing 30lbs in 3 months is one of two things, someone who is very large to start with, or someone who exercises no less than 5 -6 days a week.
    There is a healthy rate of weight loss for each person, depending on the state of your body when you start out. You can't compare yourself to others' successes or failures. Based on how you worded your statement # 5, I think you know this. Also see my answer to statement # 3.
    6. If you are relatively healthy, but just carry a significant amount (say 30-50lbs) of extra weight, it's harder for you to see results than someone who is not relatively healthy (meaning hdl, ldl, cholesterol, bp all in line)
    Wrong. Results will always continue to be seen if the person is observing the program correctly. Although, it may be true (and healthier) to see results occurring more slowly as you approach your goal weight. So, it's not *harder* to see results, it's harder to see *fast* results.
  • songofserenity81
    songofserenity81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Never been at my goal weight , was always large
    At most I spend 3 hours 2 days a week, the rest is a 2 hour walk a day which I see more as me time than exercise
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    1. 89% of people who have posted pictures on here have been at thier goal weight at one point in time in their adult life, or highschool aged (don't know what to call that) life. So it's kind of like its a do-over. They've been there once, they know they can do it, and they did it again. Big whoop.

I have been at my goal weight before, but I got there in a very unhealthy way (EDNOS) and so have never seen myself as being thin, even when I was. This will be the very first time that I will be thin and KNOW that I'm thin. So far, it's been awesome. :bigsmile:
    2. Anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight (I'm going to say 50lbs or more) cannot be single and have kids.

I'm not single but have no kids...
    3. Anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight spends a majority of thier day exercising.

I exercise 30-60 minutes, 5-6 days a week. That has been my exercise plan for most of my weight loss journey (the past 2.5 years)
    4. 75% of women on MFP have their calories set at 1200 intentionally, even if MFP calculated them at 1600-1700 etc.

This is NOT me at all! I actually considered raising MFP's goal, but by changing from "lose 1 pound per week" to "lose 1/2 pound per week" I was able to get to the calories that I needed (which is way higher than 1200)
    5. The average amount of time to lose weight and keep it off is longer than what is on here. I.e. losing 30lbs in 3 months is one of two things, someone who is very large to start with, or someone who exercises no less than 5 -6 days a week.

This one has been true for me, but I don't know if it's the average. I have chosen to lose weight slowly this time, because I really wanted to be thin and KNOW it, as opposed to the many times that I have lost weight very quickly and still felt fat. I wanted my brain to not have to play catch up with my body, KWIM?
    6. If you are relatively healthy, but just carry a significant amount (say 30-50lbs) of extra weight, it's harder for you to see results than someone who is not relatively healthy (meaning hdl, ldl, cholesterol, bp all in line)

I was always relatively healthy, I never had any obesity-related health conditions, but I was afraid that I would some day if I kept gaining how I had been. I've seen great results by working hard.
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Here is my story that proves most of your voices wrong. I was heavy and inactive for the majority of my life. I am smaller now than I have ever been. I have lost over 60lbs and I am married with 2 kids under the age of 4. I have been a work in progress for the past 2 years with the ups and downs, but have maintained the majority of the lose through that time. I do exercise almost every day but it is about an hour a day, and yes I eat a lot - hence the exercise everyday. My daily calorie intake is set at 1600 and I almost always eat my exercise calories. Feel free to friend me if you need some more truths.

Don't let the voices bring you down.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Fight back against those voices.

1. My goal weight was what I graduated high school at (in 1999), so according to your "high-school aged" - yes. But when it's been 12 years, I say no. I got to my high weight BECAUSE I hadn't done it before.
    2. I am getting married Saturday and have no kids, so can't speak to that (but have lost ~45 despite what my ticker says)
    3. HAHAHA - NO! I exercise 3-4 times a week (5 if I can) for ~1-1.5 hours.
    4. Not a woman - can't answer
    5. I have had occasional "blips" of a 1-2lb gain but that's it. The rest has been consistent loss or maintenance. And I've been on here for over 2 years.
    6. That is how I started (relatively healthy but 40-50lbs overweight). I have seen so much progress its ridiculous. The combination of finding the right caloric intake and a good exercise program (cardio, weights, p90x, etc.) got me here. I stalled after a year on here, then did p90x (a regimented workout routine) and lost an additional 15lbs. So I'm going to say no to this one too.

Hope this goes a ways to debunking some of your theories. Stay POSITIVE (that's what this website is for). You can accomplish your goals.
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options

I guess it's possible that 89% are like that... although that seems like a strangely accurate percentage with no research attached ;-)
    I personally have never been thin. I'm currently a healthy BMI for the first time in my memory (other than being a little kid, and even then I'm not sure because I didn't care about that stuff).

I'm going for about 45lbs lost and I have a toddler... although I am not single.

I don't know if my 32lbs can be considered significant but I do not spend a majority of my day exercising. I have an office job and sit on my can 9 hours of the day. I am doing P90 and P90 master series which is about 30 mins - 1 hr of exercising 6 days a week. Totally doable in my book (I wait until the baby is in bed).

Not true here. I have mine set at .5lbs a week - about 1500 cals, but I'm also nursing still so that burns a few extra calories. I have been nursing for almost 2 yrs though so I think my body is pretty used to it; i don't think I burn as many cals doing it as I used to.

This isn't true for me. I've been doing this since April 1st and I have had great results (for me). I'm totally happy with the way this has gone so far. It's slowed down in the last couple months but I expected it to as I got closer to my goal.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    1. n/a because I don't have a pic posted. I have been at my goal weight for most of my life though.

2. n/a I've never been 50 lbs overweight.

3. You don't define "significant" here but I've lost 24 lbs (I'm at goal) by exercising 6 - 8 hrs per week.

4. I am a women and I have not changed any of the MFP settings.

5. n/a because I have no idea what the avg amount of time to lose weight is. It took me abt 4.5 months to lose 20 lbs, and another 4.5 to drop 4 more (20 was the goal).

6. I was realtively healthy (triglycerides a little high from no exercise, but not dangerously so) before I started.

Not sure why I'm posting this since it doesn't prove or disprove anything other than if you are correct I am often in the lower % of your theories.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Well I am a single mom with a full time job and a company on the side. I workout 30 to 45 minutes 4-5 times a week on my lunch break. My calories are at 1450 before exercice calories and I eat 75% of those ( I am also 4'11'' 125 pounds so on the tiny side) I didn't have alot of weight to lose but I was obese at one time in my life.

I think you are trying to find a reason to fail.
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    Trying to explain that didn't do my brain any good, seriously...so I just cleared it all.

psych_distress.gif
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

I lost the first 50 lbs (from my highest weight) when I was working full time (sit-down desk job), PLUS going to school finishing a Masters Degree, AND also working a second job bartending at an Italian banquet hall (surrounded by bad food), so maybe I wasn't a single mother, but was busier than a lot of them.

I have lost 26 lbs this year, working out a couple of days a week (4-5 days the last several weeks). I make time by getting up early and hitting the gym before work, so I definitely don't spend the majority of my time exercising.

Saw a tagline on here a few weeks ago that said 'somewhere, sombody busier than you is running'.

Your 'fat voices' are just making excuses.....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    In this case I am asking you to prove me wrong, I have some pretty harsh statements and I need real live facts to help me squash these theories. I want the fat voices in my head to "shut the front door":

There are many that have lost over 100lbs and were obese as children. Gaining 30lbs is one thing. Over a 100 is another.
    I'm sure there a some on here who have done it.
    To get there yes. But once you reach goal, it's less.
    Unless you have numbers to prove that, it's speculation.
    I'll agree here. But many people on this site are working toward activity besides working out.
    Disagree. You can see results just by adding more activity. Fitness isn't just about losing weight, it's also about physical well being.
    Let's start with these.
    *Remember, these are the fat voices in my head that I'm fighting*
    Those may be the voices that are deterring you from achieving your goal.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    In this case I am asking you to prove me wrong, I have some pretty harsh statements and I need real live facts to help me squash these theories. I want the fat voices in my head to "shut the front door":

Let's start with these.

as for spending all day exerciseing nope I spend an hour to an hour & half at the gym 5 days a week.

As for the 1200 calorie thing I dont track calories so I cant speak on that one
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    1. 89% of people who have posted pictures on here have been at thier goal weight at one point in time in their adult life, or highschool aged (don't know what to call that) life. So it's kind of like its a do-over. They've been there once, they know they can do it, and they did it again. Big whoop
    . ~~~~I was BELOW my goal weight in my teens. Do I expect to get back down to 135? NO. I have set a reasonable goal. And you bet your *kitten* it will be a BIIIIIIIG WHOOP when I get back down there!~~~~

2. Anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight (I'm going to say 50lbs or more) cannot be single and have kids
    .~~~~False, as a new mommy, I quit smoking and lost 40lbs...now I am working off baby#2 weight and then some. And I am married (why the hell would having a spouse change if I can or cannot lose weight~~~~

~~~~If a majority is 30-40 minutes then ok~~~~

~~~~I UPPED my calories to jumpstart weight loss again. ~~~~

~~~I think it depends on the body. I am not very large.. but I have lost 15+ inches in 40 or so days... inches mean more than lbs~~~~

~~~ see above answer, I can see results faster than my scale shows me.~~~~
  • ruthie3110
    ruthie3110 Posts: 160 Member
    Options

Let's start with these.
    1. I have been at my goal weight, many years ago. I was fat before and lost weight to my goal rather than having been there naturally. But the pic in my sig is me at my goal.
    2.Never lost that much weight, but I'm not single and I don't have kids.
    3.When I lost weight before I didn't exercise. I don't do much now and really struggle to lose weight
    4.It's set to 1200 but I ignore it!! 1400-1600 sits fine with me.
    5.Not lost weight and kept it off so can't help
    6.I'm not really healthy due to things not related to my weight, but my BP has always been fine, don't know about cholesterol, but I find it incredibly hard to lose weight.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options

I am def in the 25% of people that has never gone down to 1200 cals when MFP recommended I have more!
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options

OK. One of the things you will find out around here is there are a lot of people on this forum that fat people like me will look at and say, "Why the heck are these people even here?!?

Don't use them as a benchmark. You have people here who are fit and have been fit their whole lives and are simply using this site as a tool to stay that way. Then you have the people with anorexia, bulimia, and other eating disorders who are actively using this site to facilitate their disorder. No joke. I was shocked when I discovered this. Obviously you can't use these folks' calorie settings as an idea for what you should be doing.

What you should count on is basically 1-2 pounds a week. Depressing, but that's the way it is. It took years to put on the weight, it will take years to take it off. 52 weeks in a year means that if you can stick with this for just one year you should be able to get rid of 100 pounds of fat.

Don't put much stock in the people who dump much more than 10 pounds in a month. Either they are very fat to start with, and so it is easier to dump weight, or they are doing something unnatural and/or unsustainable to lose weight fast. It almost never sticks.

Well I'm married, but I have two kids. What you put in your mouth does not depend on how many children you have. It's definitely harder when you have a family and you have to plan and eat meals that other people have to share. But it's about quantity, and you control how much you put in your mouth. Whether you are married or single, whether you have children or not, you are in control of what you put in your mouth.

I don't exercise. I have lost just over 10 pounds since July 11th. Diet is far more important than exercise. If you try to exercise off one slice of pizza you will be on the exercise bicycle for hours. It is far easier to simply not eat the pizza. Exercise is important as it makes you healthy. But weight loss is all about the calories.

I can't comment on this. I simply plugged in my stats and said I wanted to lose 2 pounds a week and took what MFP gave me. So far I'm tracking about 1.2 pounds a week. I've been at this 8.7 weeks and have lost 10.5 pounds. I'm sure the reason I'm not tracking 2 pounds per week, per the calculator, is because of the days I was over-calorie.

If you want to lose 2 pounds a week, you will need to be religious about hitting your calorie goals every day. This is probably unrealistic. You will go out to dinner sometimes and not be able or care about tracking calories. You will go to birthday parties or other celebrations. Sometimes you might even (gasp) drink a beer.

Like I said, over the last 61 days I have been doing this I have lost 10.5 pounds, so I'm averaging 1.2 pounds a week. Losing 30 pounds is going to take me 25 weeks.

In the end, you have to be in this for the long haul, and it's all about you, not what other people are doing. Other people are great for inspiration, but don't assume that everyone is a good role model.

Steve

• ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    1. 89% of people who have posted pictures on here have been at thier goal weight at one point in time in their adult life: Granted, I'm only 23, but I haven't been at my GW since freshman year of high school, so no.

4. 75% of women on MFP have their calories set at 1200 intentionally, even if MFP calculated them at 1600-1700 etc: I had this problem, mostly because of my eating disorder, I bumped it up to 1370 (I know, not a a lot) because I noticed I wasn't losing weight and I was exhausted and my body just ached constantly.

5. The average amount of time to lose weight and keep it off is longer than what is on here. I.e. losing 30lbs in 3 months is one of two things, someone who is very large to start with, or someone who exercises no less than 5 -6 days a week. - I actually agree with this. 10lbs a month is not healthy (for me at my size...)
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options

Nope never

Wrong again.

I lost nearly 7 stone and only cycled, never used a gym

Mine is at 1470

unsure

maybe

Let's start with these.
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Which women gets their calories set at 1600-1700 calories??? I would LOVE that! I only started being "allowed" to have extra because I breastfeed, but that only gets me 300 more. I have to exercise for the rest. Is it height?