I Beg You......PROVE ME WRONG!!!!

Options

Replies

• Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman and my calories are set at 1400 and that is what I consume. I could not live with 1200 calories every day. I also eat most of my exercise calories back so some days are around 1600.
  • QBee73
    Options

2. Anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight (I'm going to say 50lbs or more) cannot be single and have kids.

3. Anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight spends a majority of thier day exercising.

4. 75% of women on MFP have their calories set at 1200 intentionally, even if MFP calculated them at 1600-1700 etc.

5. The average amount of time to lose weight and keep it off is longer than what is on here. I.e. losing 30lbs in 3 months is one of two things, someone who is very large to start with, or someone who exercises no less than 5 -6 days a week.

@ #2..I have lost 40lbs and I have a husband, two kids and a full time job. I make time to make it happen!

@ #3...like a said above I have a full time life and can not devote my life to working out but I do make sure do to SOMETHING at least 5 to 6 days a week. Even if it is 30 minutes.

@ #4...I have mine set at 1400-1600 because I am very active and lift weights.

@ #5...I lost my first 40 in 6 months and that was last year. Going for more!

HOPE THAT HELPS YOU!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    In this case I am asking you to prove me wrong, I have some pretty harsh statements and I need real live facts to help me squash these theories. I want the fat voices in my head to "shut the front door":

1. 89% of people who have posted pictures on here have been at thier goal weight at one point in time in their adult life, or highschool aged (don't know what to call that) life. So it's kind of like its a do-over. They've been there once, they know they can do it, and they did it again. Big whoop.

2. Anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight (I'm going to say 50lbs or more) cannot be single and have kids.

3. Anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight spends a majority of thier day exercising.

4. 75% of women on MFP have their calories set at 1200 intentionally, even if MFP calculated them at 1600-1700 etc.

5. The average amount of time to lose weight and keep it off is longer than what is on here. I.e. losing 30lbs in 3 months is one of two things, someone who is very large to start with, or someone who exercises no less than 5 -6 days a week.

6. If you are relatively healthy, but just carry a significant amount (say 30-50lbs) of extra weight, it's harder for you to see results than someone who is not relatively healthy (meaning hdl, ldl, cholesterol, bp all in line)

Let's start with these.
    *Remember, these are the fat voices in my head that I'm fighting*

I can only tell you my personal experience. I can't answer the percentages you posted:

1. 89% of people who have posted pictures on here have been at thier goal weight at one point in time in their adult life, or highschool aged (don't know what to call that) life. So it's kind of like its a do-over. They've been there once, they know they can do it, and they did it again. Big whoop. -- Yes, I was quite thin all the way through most of my 20s and started gaining around 29 and took most of it back off (then regained some but not all) by 30.

2. Anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight (I'm going to say 50lbs or more) cannot be single and have kids. -- I lost 34 pounds. I don't have 50 to lose. I am not single. I have one child (when I was 17). I was, however, single for years of my adult life. And I would be single again and OK with it if it happened. OK. I think I misunderstood this question. Yes, I lost a significant amount (not 50, but still) as a single mother with an alcoholic, stress-inducing boyfriend to cntend with.

3. Anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight spends a majority of thier day exercising. -- I lost 34 pounds in three months. I exercised maybe 90 minutes most days.

4. 75% of women on MFP have their calories set at 1200 intentionally, even if MFP calculated them at 1600-1700 etc. -- MFP set me at 1,200 calories. I had to lower it because I wasn't losing.

5. The average amount of time to lose weight and keep it off is longer than what is on here. I.e. losing 30lbs in 3 months is one of two things, someone who is very large to start with, or someone who exercises no less than 5 -6 days a week. -- There's no way to predict how fast YOU will lose. Everyone is different.

6. If you are relatively healthy, but just carry a significant amount (say 30-50lbs) of extra weight, it's harder for you to see results than someone who is not relatively healthy (meaning hdl, ldl, cholesterol, bp all in line) -- I lost an average of 1.8 pounds per week and dropped three sizes in three months. I was very healthy (and still am) and only 25 pounds over a healthy BMI at my very highest weight.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter what the responses are, only you can change the voices inside your head. Until you do that, you won't listen to what anyone else has to say.

As a matter of fact, the reason why I put questions on here like this is to get exactly this kind of feed back, I don't want it sugar coated. I do use it, I just sometimes wonder if I have my goals and aspirations set too high in the sky. And the 'voices' start to make sense. I want real feed back from those that have either experienced it or are experiencing it, not someone in a white coat who just knows the science of it. And is being paid to blabber to me.
  • jenniferlspies
    Options
    1. 89% of people who have posted pictures on here have been at thier goal weight at one point in time in their adult life, or highschool aged (don't know what to call that) life. So it's kind of like its a do-over. They've been there once, they know they can do it, and they did it again. Big whoop.

I'm 23 right now, and probably about 20 pounds lighter than I ever was in high school. During college (I graduated May 2010), I hit my highest weight of 210 lbs. I've never been in the single digits for pant sizes before now or wearing anything smaller than a large (I'm wearing 8s/mediums).
    3. Anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight spends a majority of their day exercising.
    I usually spend an hour max exercising, although I do tend to do some form of exercise every day. But, I'm also only working ~20 hours a week (soon to change when I start my first FT job next Monday). Even then, I only plan on doing ~30 mins every other day (longer on the weekends). I believe that it's not how long you exercise for that matters, but how intense you exercise. I did JM's 30 Day Shred this morning (~30 mins) and I worked harder than I do with longer workout.
    My MFP calories are 1370, which I eat plus exercise calories. I could not imagine trying to only eat 1200 calories exercising with the intensity I do!
    6. If you are relatively healthy, but just carry a significant amount (say 30-50lbs) of extra weight, it's harder for you to see results than someone who is not relatively healthy (meaning hdl, ldl, cholesterol, bp all in line)
    I'm almost 15 pounds away from my goal weight, and I can see the results a lot better than when I was just starting out (about 40 pounds ago). I bought a pair of size 10 jeans in May, and I'm already having to pull them up all the time plus my size 8 jeans are getting loose in the waist! In comparison, it took me from January to May to go from a size 14 to a 10.

The pounds lost is going down a lot slower (usually about .5 pounds a week compared to about 1.5-2 pounds a week in the beginning), but my body is tightening up a lot faster!
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    Which women gets their calories set at 1600-1700 calories??? I would LOVE that! I only started being "allowed" to have extra because I breastfeed, but that only gets me 300 more. I have to exercise for the rest. Is it height?

I wanted to take the slow and steady road so I left mine at the recommended 1 lb per week, and it calculated me at 1760 calories a day. I am desk job 9 hours a day sedentary. My starting info was 5'4" and 208.

I feel like an idiot for not being able to figure out MFP's method to figiuring this out and why others are so different, but after reading some of the replies it's making more sense.
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    In this case I am asking you to prove me wrong, I have some pretty harsh statements and I need real live facts to help me squash these theories. I want the fat voices in my head to "shut the front door":

Let's start with these.

1) In 5th grade I weighed 137 pounds....that would be the closest

2)I have a husband, 3 kids and 4 dogs who I take care of every day.

3)I have lost 40 pounds in 6 months. I have to find time to exercise. I run between 60-90 minutes about 3 times a week.

4)My calories are set at 1200, but I can rarely stay in that range.

6)I personally have had a hard time seeing results on myself. However my clothes have told me I have lost weight and need to go shopping!

Good luck to you and we all have the 'voices' from time to time:)
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    Hope this goes a ways to debunking some of your theories. Stay POSITIVE (that's what this website is for). You can accomplish your goals.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
  • rml_16
    Options
    Which women gets their calories set at 1600-1700 calories??? I would LOVE that! I only started being "allowed" to have extra because I breastfeed, but that only gets me 300 more. I have to exercise for the rest. Is it height?

I wanted to take the slow and steady road so I left mine at the recommended 1 lb per week, and it calculated me at 1760 calories a day. I am desk job 9 hours a day sedentary. My starting info was 5'4" and 208.

I feel like an idiot for not being able to figure out MFP's method to figiuring this out and why others are so different, but after reading some of the replies it's making more sense.

The more you weigh, the more calories you can have and still lose weight.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Let's start with these.

I can definitely disprove 2 & 3. I'm married with a 3 year old daughter, and I've lost 41 pounds exercising roughly 45 minutes a day 4-5 days a week.
  • farmers_daughter
    Options

Number 2 is more about having the time, and allowing yourself "me" time. Between getting everybody to the right places at the right times, and ensuring everyone has clean clothes, something to eat, homework done, and is bathed. I find little time, and when I find something that I do enjoy doing it's usually at an inconvenient time, OR even better I'm looked horribly at because I'm making my children spend an extra hour or so at daycare (even though they are being paid an extra fee, that I don't really have in the first place, for it), or my other babysitter sighs that she has to watch them *again* and give them snacks or supper.

Number 3, so am I hearing the majority of the masses correct that in the scale of exercise/diet, diet is much more important?
    If this is the case then I can understand why people would set their calories lower and then not exercise if they hate exercise. But for those of us who enjoy eating then we must make up for it with exercise, and learn to like it.

If there are any of you out there that can provide a few more suggestions on #2 I'm absolutely open to them. The hinders are time, and money, and self reflection (meaning how can I get over the negativity for taking 'me' time)
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    And BTW, THANK YOU! EVERYONE for ALL of the responses, this is feed back I need.
  • rml_16
    Options

If there are any of you out there that can provide a few more suggestions on #2 I'm absolutely open to them. The hinders are time, and money, and self reflection (meaning how can I get over the negativity for taking 'me' time)

If you have enough money for a pair of comfy sneakers, you don't need any more money to exercise. And even if you can't afford sneakers, you can walk in just about any shoe. Just step out your front door and put one foot in front of the other. Find someone to go with if you need to.

As for the "me" time, the best analogy I ever heard was the airplane oxygen masks. They always tell you to put yours on first before helping others because if you don't take care of yourself first, you won't be alive to take care of others!
  • ASaxe23
    ASaxe23 Posts: 163
    Options

OK this is true but at the same time at one point in time we all weight our goal weight we did not start off at 200+lb. we got there slowly so at one point and time everyone here was at their now goal weight even it if was only for a small amount of time.

I have a dear friend who lost over 100lb. He was going through a divorce and has six kids.

I love my first 30lb. by making dietary changes. You can exercise as little as 30-45 min a day and lose weight by eating properly (this is what I do now)

I'm at anywhere from 1898-2049 depending on what my nutritionist says

I don't quite understand this one, but I lost 30lb. in about 5 months

I was around 50lb. or so overweight when I started, I can totally see the difference even if I don't always admit it to myself, when I see pictures it's totally there in my face!

[/quote]
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

I don't have kids, but here are my thoughts....you should NOT feel guilty for taking time for yourself. Keep in mind that being heatlhy and HAPPY in your lifestyle can only benefit your children in the long run. I dont' know if you said how old they are, but I'm guessing by your age, fairly young? If you're taking them here and there for activities, do you have time to take a quick walk while you wait for one of their activites to be over? Can you strap them into a jogging stroller or put them on their bikes, or get them out for a walk with you? How about doing squats/lunges or using free weights while you're waiting for that laundry to finish?

I have friends who get exercise videos from the library, or buy them used (and cheap) online and do those while the kids are sleeping. I'm sure you can find ways to fit some things into your schedule if you look hard.

Good luck to you!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

If I work, I try to get up at 5-6am and do exercise videos at home (while I am married my husband works 5am-5pm so can't cover for me on days he works). When I don't work, I sometimes get on the elliptical for a half hour while my baby naps, and I let the girls watch a T.V. show.

My exercise DVDs (Turbo Fire) did cost $126 but I got 10 different DVDs, resistance bands, and a nice book explaining things, and suggesting a diet (I didn't follow that). The resistance bands run about $15 at Walmart, so the DVDs come in about $11 a piece which is pretty good. I did the entire 12 week program (it took me 16 weeks due to having to take extra "rest" days due to life), lost 12 lbs and gained a lot of shape.

I got my elliptical for $200 many years ago at a after Thanksgiving sale. Check out craigslist for used equipment if this is the way you think you'd like to go.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Which women gets their calories set at 1600-1700 calories???
    Me!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    3. Anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight spends a majority of thier day exercising. **I spend 1-2 hours a day working out -- I would hardly call that a majority of my day. I've lost 74.8 pounds.

4. 75% of women on MFP have their calories set at 1200 intentionally, even if MFP calculated them at 1600-1700 etc. **I didn't set my goal at 1200 intentionally. who would do that. I'd love it to be higher! LOL
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I have never been at my goal weight...

I don't have a 1200 calorie range... mfp set it to 1500.

I only excercise 1-1 1/2hrs a day a few times a week, and I lost my first 30lbs in 4 months.
  • MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    1. My goal weight is 170, I have never seen that number....I mean I'm sure growing up I was there at one point, but by the time I was in highschool I was already over 200 lbs.

2. Lots of my friends on here have kids and have lost tons of weight (over 100 lbs)

3. I think you will lose weight quicker if you exercise, but you don't have too. This is about a lifestyle change though, to become more healthy and exercising is a part of that.

4. I've only seen a couple women with their calories set that low....and they are 1) super short and skinny already, 2) have an eating disorder, 3) think this is some magic number told to them by society, and probably aren't here fora lifestyle change.

5. The rate at which I lose weight is only a little different when I do or don't exercise.Losing 30 lbs in 3 months in completely attainable for anyone.

6. Wea are losing weight using a calorie defecit method, not dependant on whose healthiest. If you have a 1000 calorie deficit everyday,you will lose weight even if you don't need to.

My calories are at 1200 and i just input everything truthfully. I am short (5'3) I don't think that is super short and I'm not skinny right not I'm 162, down from 170. The only thing I can say is everybody on here is different and we can't generalize. We are all on the same journey in different ways. :smile: