Do you obey the speed limit?

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    I sense a lot of hostility in some people about fast drivers...especially "loved" being called brainless and worthless on page 2. But whatever...

To quote an over-quoted quote, lol...I feel the need, the need, for speed!

But in my defense, I do not tailgate slow people, honk my horn, flash my lights, or anything else like that. I only get in front of a car if there's plenty of room without them freaking out that we may crash. They won't ever have to tap their brakes when I get in front of them, lol.

I didn't buy a new Camaro to drive Miss Daisy.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Only on the interstate. Everywhere else Im good. The reason is cops pretty much realize we are just trying to get to work or school, they dont care to much, as long as you slow down when you see them, shows your paying attention. I normally go about 80-85 on i75 (speed limit is 70). On the michigan highways I vary my speed greatly, especially when Im on the bike. There is one strip I will let out the throttle, its 50mph, but I normally do about 75 on it (so does all the traffic around me)

I am a police officer, and I don't stop people for speeding unless it is something grossly over the speed limit. I know other officers that stop people for 65 in a 55...I won't do it. I will stop people speeding in or near school zones, around daycares, hospitals, etc. no matter what. Doesn't mean they automatically get a ticket, but when there's a chance that a child or elderly person can't move fast enough out of your way, you'll get a nice lecture. But the best way to get a ticket from me? Try to tell me that I was wrong for pulling you over and give me a list of excuses that "prove" you know my job better than I do. Instant ticket there...
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    This use to be my hobby so just take it from there:
    123.JPG

I did win my class championship that year also. :)

Yes I speed, usually 10-15 MPH above posted, everywhere except in school zones.

Being as I design roads for a living, I know the highways have a design speed 15-20 mph above what the posted speed is. And that design speed is based more on "comfort" rather than any physics limitation.
  • xMissAprilx
    xMissAprilx Posts: 143 Member
    Ah...I hardly ever drive anymore. However, I do speed if I know where I'm going. I have been known to zig zag through traffic. If I see a cop it has been either slow down before I get caught or if too late and I can get away, I do. Not proud and I know better. One of the reasons my husband drives everywhere. Other than the fact I don't even want to attempt to drive in Vegas. Lol
  • Teddyaderwich
    Teddyaderwich Posts: 69 Member
    I'm quite a patient driver but always tend to find myself above the speed limit on open roads - and HATE it when traffic is merging to one lane your in the left lane obediently crawling along and then someone comes speeding along on the right to squeeze in - as Long as they don't nip in front of me am ok - I always find myself moving my car out to block them and putting my *paddington bear* stare on - :-)
  • coatsie79
    coatsie79 Posts: 187 Member
    I do now yes. I got caught speeding once. It gave me a wake up call. Now I don't speed because:

a) How would I be able to live with myself if my speeding caused the death of someone?
    b) How would I be able to look myself in the mirror every day if my speeding caused a crash and injured someone in my car, in another vehicle or a pedestrian?
    c) If I don't speed I can't get caught speeding.
    d) Does it really make a difference if I get home 5 minutes earlier?
    e) Is it really that big of an inconvenience to set off for work 5 or 10 minutes earlier during rush hour?
    f) Speed Limits are in place for a reason. Our safety and the safety of others.
    g) Am I so childish to think well if the guy next to me is speeding, why shouldn't I?
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    I do now yes. I got caught speeding once. It gave me a wake up call. Now I don't speed because:

a) How would I be able to live with myself if my speeding caused the death of someone?
    b) How would I be able to look myself in the mirror every day if my speeding caused a crash and injured someone in my car, in another vehicle or a pedestrian?
    Do you really believe that going 5-10 MPH is going to make a difference if someone lives or dies? Yikes.
    e) Is it really that big of an inconvenience to set off for work 5 or 10 minutes earlier during rush hour?
    Add up those 5-10 mins over a lifetime of driving. For example, assuming only 5 days a week for work, you waste an extra 65 hrs in only 1 year sitting in a car driving, or 95 days in a 35 year work lifespan. Yeah, 5-10 mins on a daily basis doesn't sound bad...but....I have better things to do with my life than sit in a car to get to work & back.
    Speed limits are set by politicians, not science. There's a reason they recently increased the limits in Texas to 85 MPH on hwys. Oh, and so far, there's no increase in accidents/deaths associated with this increase.
    g) Am I so childish to think well if the guy next to me is speeding, why shouldn't I?
    So you're saying I speed because the person next to me is? Kind of a big brush you're painting with.

I speed because I get bored driving the speed limit set for the below average driver that wouldn't know car control if it hit them in the face. To me, being bored is more dangerous than actually speeding. When I'm speeding, I'm more alert and aware. Maybe it's from my racing background. All I know is I've been driving almost 25 years and I'm accident free with a daily return commute of 90 miles....all while speeding.
  • coatsie79
    coatsie79 Posts: 187 Member

Do you really believe that going 5-10 MPH is going to make a difference if someone lives or dies? Yikes.
    Add up those 5-10 mins over a lifetime of driving. For example, assuming only 5 days a week for work, you waste an extra 65 hrs in only 1 year sitting in a car driving, or 95 days in a 35 year work lifespan. Yeah, 5-10 mins on a daily basis doesn't sound bad...but....I have better things to do with my life than sit in a car to get to work & back.
    Speed limits are set by politicians, not science. There's a reason they recently increased the limits in Texas to 85 MPH on hwys. Oh, and so far, there's no increase in accidents/deaths associated with this increase.
    So you're saying I speed because the person next to me is? Kind of a big brush you're painting with.

I speed because I get bored driving the speed limit set for the below average driver that wouldn't know car control if it hit them in the face. To me, being bored is more dangerous than actually speeding. When I'm speeding, I'm more alert and aware. Maybe it's from my racing background. All I know is I've been driving almost 25 years and I'm accident free with a daily return commute of 90 miles....all while speeding.

- Yes 5 or 10 MPH can mean the difference between life or death.
    - 5-10 mins on a daily basis doesn't sound that bad because it isn't.
    - Speed limits are set in conjunction with local authorities, transportation agencies, the police, injury and fatality statistics etc. The type of road and the changes in vehicle safety (bodywork, ABS breaking, airbags etc) have seen recent changes to speed limits that you mention.
    - I didn't comment on the reason why you speed, I commented on the reason I don't.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Yep, these days I am a pretty safe driver. Try to go with the flow. I've wrecked a bike or two and paid more than my fair share for speeding tickets, reckless driving and insurance premium.

Haven't laid a bike down since 1984. I'm not always first to arrive but I always show up.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    I thought the speed limit was just a suggestion. Haha.

It's not!? Thats the problem!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I usually do about 5 over on city streets and 10 over on the highway.

Of course, that's when I'm not stuck behind people doing 15 BELOW.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    I speed because I get bored driving the speed limit set for the below average driver that wouldn't know car control if it hit them in the face. To me, being bored is more dangerous than actually speeding. When I'm speeding, I'm more alert and aware. Maybe it's from my racing background.

AMEN!
    The worst is people who accidentally speed. If you don't know how fast you're going you're not paying enough attention to safely drive fast. I never don't know exactly how fast I'm going. Everyone with a decent racing background has developed their speed sensing abilities, high performance vehicle control, and always has an escape route planned in case anything imaginable goes wrong. What you do with your right foot has a very small part in the fast equation. Try explaining slip angles to a 23 year old female in a *****tegra and you'll likely get the finger. I don't think there's a paved mountain road I've ever been on that doesn't have a set of skid marks starting just before the apex and making a straight line into the brush. That's what happens when you have a panic reflex that makes you slam on the brakes. It's not speed that kills people it's lack of vehicle control.
  • I go way over the speed limit most of the time but when my kids are in the car then I only go 5 over.
  • EPICSRT
    EPICSRT Posts: 222 Member
    Uh, speed limit?! Nope, can't say that I do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0m53bUQ4g4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Okay, okay......if the helmet and info about the video didn't give it away, this was actually at a sanctioned racing event.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    I use to speed but after 4 tickets and realizing it's a waste of gas and doesn't actually get you anywhere faster in any measurable amount of time, i have stopped. I'll go a couple over the speed limit to keep the flow of traffic going but that's usually it.

I always laugh at the morons that go flying past me and weave in and out of traffic only to meet up with them at a red light a short distance later....idiots.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    This is a fascinating topic. I think the most interesting thing for me is the people who won't speed with their child on the car or near a school.
    Does this mean that if you have a speed related accident and hit someone else's car who has their child with them that it's OK? Or that if you have an accident on the highway and injure an adult it's not a problem?
    Curious.
  • brianward81
    brianward81 Posts: 217 Member
    This is a fascinating topic. I think the most interesting thing for me is the people who won't speed with their child on the car or near a school.
    Does this mean that if you have a speed related accident and hit someone else's car who has their child with them that it's OK? Or that if you have an accident on the highway and injure an adult it's not a problem?
    Curious.

This. It's this double standard that is so infuriating.

"If my kids aren't in the car I'm willing to risk my life and others. If my kids are then without their mother or father, it was worth it to get there 2 minutes quicker. LOLZ".

Also; "It's not speed that kills people it's lack of vehicle control." No it is both. You speed which gives you less control and less margin for error therefore you can't control your car or brake as fast which results in accidents.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    I use to speed but after 4 tickets and realizing it's a waste of gas and doesn't actually get you anywhere faster in any measurable amount of time, i have stopped. I'll go a couple over the speed limit to keep the flow of traffic going but that's usually it.

I always laugh at the morons that go flying past me and weave in and out of traffic only to meet up with them at a red light a short distance later....idiots.
    If 2 people drove 15 miles and one drove 55 and the other 70, the difference in arrival time is about 3 minutes. I don't think risking the life of others at 80-90 miles an hour is worth an extra 5-7 minutes.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Curious.

This. It's this double standard that is so infuriating.

"If my kids aren't in the car I'm willing to risk my life and others. If my kids are then without their mother or father, it was worth it to get there 2 minutes quicker. LOLZ".

Also; "It's not speed that kills people it's lack of vehicle control." No it is both. You speed which gives you less control and less margin for error therefore you can't control your car or brake as fast which results in accidents.

Exactly!
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    New driver....so i obey it