Why cut out dairy?

Options
124»

Replies

• lisasays
    lisasays Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am vegan, but the evidence is there and they are some of the best physicians in the world! Heart surgeons, etc.
  • lisasays
    Options
    Many people have the made the switch to organic.
  • lisasays
    Options
    Also, I wasnt always a vegan, but have been vegetarian for most of my life. I was a cheese LOVER! After a recent heart scare, my doctor encouraged me to go vegan again and it has been the best decision I ever made.
    Dont bash it until you are fully informed!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Read the China Study.

Then read this to learn why the China study is a load of BS:

http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the-china-study-fact-or-fallac/
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    Cows are given hormones. Doesn't that make their milk unhealthy?

Not unless you're injecting the milk. Here's the full story: In 1993 the FDA approved the use of recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH) in cattle. This practice resulted in greater milk production at less cost to the dairy farmer, a savings that has been passed on to you at your local supermarket. But it has also sparked much controversy, because rBGH boosts milk's concentration of insulin-like growth factor (IGF), a hormone that's been linked to cancer.
    Unlike steroid hormones, which can be taken orally, rBGH and IGF must be injected to have any effect. That's because the process of digestion destroys these "protein" hormones. So drinking milk from hormone-treated cows doesn't transfer the active form of these chemicals to your body. However, there is one ethical downside to consider: It's not good for the cows. Canadian researchers discovered that cows given hormones are more likely to contract an udder infection called mastitis.

So, the hormone argument doesn't affect whether the milk is good for us. If you don't drink milk because you object to this practice, then fair enough, but that's a debate for another thread.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have an intolerance to soy. Soy milk, soybean oil, anything soy. You put me on soy-heavy diet, and I'm in trouble. But that doesn't lead me to start a campaign against soy. It's just something my body won't tolerate. For other people, it can be a healthy part of their diet.

Avoiding dairy is a personal thing, and for some, it can have a positive effect on their health. For others, it will NOT be a miracle cure. I went off dairy for awhile due to a lactose intolerance. There were no positive changes for me. If it works for you to go dairy free, that's great! But that doesn't mean it'll work for everyone.
  • lisasays
    Options
    coyla - i dont eat soy either as I am allergic :-)

As for the article by the nutritionist, I will take the advise of heart surgeons and doctors (including my own) over any nutritionist any day. Many nutritionists are also okay with processed foods.
  • HMonsterX
    Options

As for the article by the nutritionist, I will take the advise of heart surgeons and doctors (including my own) over any nutritionist any day. Many nutritionists are also okay with processed foods.

Given what i've seen on here in various reports from doctors, and the "advice" they've given to people, ill take Alan Aragon's recommendations any day :)

I eat some processed foods, and I've never felt better in my life! Therefore surely, processed foods = good, right?

Like anything, eaten in moderation, processed foods are perfectly fine for the vast majority of us.
  • rdpixie
    rdpixie Posts: 96
    Options
    I try to avoid non-organic dairy but its nothing to do with weight loss for me.

Non-organic dairy cows are treated with hormones to encourage milk production as obviously they wouldn't naturally produce that much milk. On top of that their udders often get infected and therefore they are also given large amounts of anti-biotics. These cows are also usually fed GM corn rather than grass and this corn can damage the lining of their stomachs which means they are getting even more anti-biotics.

Its just not natural!
  • oceanrose78
    oceanrose78 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Whether you drink milk and eat dairy or not is your own decision. Do what makes you happy.

I have a severe intolerance to milk. But until 3 weeks ago I still cooked with it, and ate cheese, loved yogurt, sour cream etc. It made me sick sometimes but I dealt.

3 weeks ago I went from a mostly vegetarian diet to a mostly vegan diet, as an experiment. I don't miss it, though I do occasionally look longingly at the cheese sticks left in my drawer and delegated to dog training treats now. My sinuses are clearer, and my allergies have gone away and I'm loving vegan cooking.

But I don't care what you do. What I do find funny though is the argument you NEED milk for calcium. Check out this website for a graph of foods and their calcium content. I eat many of the foods on this list every day, so have a naturally healthy amount of calcium coming in from veggies and grains. Just not from dairy :).

http://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/calcium_content_of_selected_foods/
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options

...and most doctors are clueless about nutrition.

I'll take the nutritionist.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Don't know the author, nor his reputation, but this does seem to say most of what I'd read in studies related to dairy.

I don't think all the cancer-causing scaremongering is useful to the debate. The Dutch and Scandinavians eat a dairy-rich diet and they don't seem to suffer for it.

But at the end of the day... to use that old cliché...I do think it's a preference thing - you either like dairy or you don't. It's not a right or wrong/good or bad argument.
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    I try to avoid non-organic dairy but its nothing to do with weight loss for me.

Non-organic dairy cows are treated with hormones to encourage milk production as obviously they wouldn't naturally produce that much milk. On top of that their udders often get infected and therefore they are also given large amounts of anti-biotics. These cows are also usually fed GM corn rather than grass and this corn can damage the lining of their stomachs which means they are getting even more anti-biotics.

Its just not natural!

See, this is an opinion i respect. Perfectly valid, and indeed true. However, the ethics of milk producing aren't what this thread is about.

Also, reading that list of calcium foods, there's probably...2 things on that i can actually stand. I'll stick with the white stuff thanks :)
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I hear people all the time say they cut out dairy as a healthy life style change. I don't get it. Why would dairy be a hinderance to weight loss?

I eat at least 1 C 0% Greek yogurt a day, sometimes 2 C. Is this too much?

People only cut out dairy if their lactose intolerant or have some type of allergy to it. But dairy isn't a bad thing at all, it contains fats and other nutrients are our bodies can use. That if your not lactose intolerant, etc. Just make sure that you track the amount of calories in the dairy products you plan to consume. Besides that, eat all the dairy you want. Just make sure it fits within your daily calorie allowance for the day.
  • vegangirl88
    vegangirl88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

See, this is an opinion i respect. Perfectly valid, and indeed true. However, the ethics of milk producing aren't what this thread is about.

The thread is entitled "Why cut out dairy?". Surely the unethical treatment of dairy cows could come into that??
  • HMonsterX
    Options

The thread is entitled "Why cut out dairy?". Surely the unethical treatment of dairy cows could come into that??

Well, the OP was:
    I hear people all the time say they cut out dairy as a healthy life style change. I don't get it. Why would dairy be a hinderance to weight loss?

Ethical treatment of cows is not a hindrance to weight loss.
  • snorktharpe
    snorktharpe Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    yogurt has a lot of health benefits. you may want to watch fat and sugars contained in it but if 2 cups is within your goal limits, i think its a good thing :)