McDonald's

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

You know what's funny? I used to eat fast food every day and I was teeny-tiny. I stopped eating it years ago and that's when I started gaining weight.

Therefore, fast food makes you skinny! :-)

Yup, that's pretty conclusive proof right there! We all know correlation = causality ofc :)

See? Someone agrees with me, so it's even more true!
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Oh my!!

My kids love McDonalds, and althought I don't take them every single week, or every 2 weeks for that matter, I do get them a sundae or some nuggets every now and then. Now, that being said, I think only you can decide what you should eat. If you want to be really super strict, then do a salad or a grilled wrap, they're not too bad calorie wise. Now, if you feel like a burger or some nuggets then go for it, just make sure you work off the extra cals, or save your cals so you can eat what you want. The fruit and walnut salad is delish, it's basically fruit, yogurt and walnuts. You can get that, plus a wrap and some water if you'd like.

If you're going for a lifestyle change you're going to have to learn to deal with the fast food places in the world. Just be smart about your decisions. You won't ruin your kids (or your own) life if you take them there.

Have fun, let your kids have fun, and enjoy!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    However when McDonalds runs out of the usual mix for shakes (and icecream) there is a special mix we use with this special flour and water stuff.

Wait. When you run out of the necessary ingredients you just start adding whatever? I've been defending McDonald's against the rabid haters but if this is true it has me very concerned.

Special flour and water stuff? Do you know how a milkshake is supposed to be made? Here's a hint, you don't use flour.

So is the nutritional information provided only accurate for when you haven't run out of the necessary ingredients and just started grabbing whatever was handy?

Hoping I just missed the humor here...

but I worked at McD's for 4 summers and never saw this happen. :smile:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    However when McDonalds runs out of the usual mix for shakes (and icecream) there is a special mix we use with this special flour and water stuff.

Wait. When you run out of the necessary ingredients you just start adding whatever? I've been defending McDonald's against the rabid haters but if this is true it has me very concerned.

Special flour and water stuff? Do you know how a milkshake is supposed to be made? Here's a hint, you don't use flour.

So is the nutritional information provided only accurate for when you haven't run out of the necessary ingredients and just started grabbing whatever was handy?

I know that Wendy's uses some powdered something or other to make Frosties. I never worked at McDonald's, so I don't know, but is it maybe something like that? And even if it is flour (I don't know how that's possible), I can think of worse things to ingest. If I get a milkshake, it's for the taste, not because I'm looking for health food.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options

I :heart: Chick-fil-a . . . there's one in the lobby of my work, and some days it's difficult to walk past without stopping. I promised myself that I would only do chick-fil-a when traveling and I don't have time to stop. It's been 6 or 8 weeks, I still get the same thing I always got, grilled breast (bread removed), small fry, diet leamonade . . . yum.
    Buy 2 and FedEx me one.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

I :heart: Chick-fil-a . . . there's one in the lobby of my work, and some days it's difficult to walk past without stopping. I promised myself that I would only do chick-fil-a when traveling and I don't have time to stop. It's been 6 or 8 weeks, I still get the same thing I always got, grilled breast (bread removed), small fry, diet leamonade . . . yum.
    Buy 2 and FedEx me one.

I totally would, but I don't think they'll hold up in mailing. I'll just have to heat pack some next time I'm heading in that direction.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options

I know that Wendy's uses some powdered something or other to make Frosties. I never worked at McDonald's, so I don't know, but is it maybe something like that? And even if it is flour (I don't know how that's possible), I can think of worse things to ingest. If I get a milkshake, it's for the taste, not because I'm looking for health food.

Yeah, it's possible it's powdered milk. I was in high school and then first 2 years of college when i worked there, so we're talking a few years back, but if memory serves it was a liquid mix for both the shakes and the ice cream. I don't recall ever running out, really. Seems like the logical thing to do would be to explain to customers that we didn't have X, but we had Y or Z instead...and, of course, woud you like fries with that?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    My son works at McDonald's, this is not true. He does say its greasy and gross. He also told me that everything grilled is dipped in margarine before its grilled and that the decaf coffee is just watered down regular coffee.
    I doubt that. The meat has it's own fat so they throw it frozen on a grill then cook it. I know the breakfasts' have margarine on just about everything but the sausages and bacon.
    I worked there years ago an worked on the grill and was back up (filled everything and cleaned all vats, floors and dishes). Part of that duty was refilling the ice cream machine and the bags used were ice milk.
  • wagreen
    wagreen Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi what's not to love... the kid in us will always love Micky D's...I get a cheeseburger happy meal and diet drink with that and you will be just fine. Thanks for asking! Now would you happen to know which tortilla chips are ok to have if any?
  • ruthiegirl66
    Options
    McDonald's has fantastic salads but watch out for the dressings you get with them...They have or used to have a low fat oriental seasame dressing and the southwest dressing has a nice kick for 100 cal. for the whole packet. I have gotten the snack wraps minus cheese the chipotle bbq are the fewest calorie ( grilled of course) The fruit n yougurt parfait also very good if you prefer fruity...I have found that most places have something to offer, even if you are limited on choices it's better to know what you are getting before because sometimes I have really messed up thinking I ate "healthy" Cruise the restraunts websites for nutrition info before going so you have an idea of what you want and can get. The more information you have the better choices you can make. Have fun !!!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I call BS. pictures or it didn't happen.

I know that's a funny internet phrase but there's no way she would have pictures. She's a former employee and that's the second time I've seen the claim that McDonald's uses flour in their milkshakes. The first time I called BS too. Now I heard it straight from the source that it's true. I feel like an idiot for defending McDonald's at this point.
    Lol, I'm betting it's powdered milk.

That would be my guess or some other powdery mix - which I still doubt. Usually if a store is out of something it's just too bad until next truck, or they borrow from a neighboring store. If a store did something weird with flour than it's a human screw up - that can happen at any restaurant.

Don't believe me, all I was trying to tell you guys is my experiences. Sorry for not wanting to listen to or believe the truth of what has happened in the stores that I have worked in.
    Not necessarily too bad until next truck since we used to have too many abusive customers then so decided to do it this way.

My son works at McDonald's, this is not true. He does say its greasy and gross. He also told me that everything grilled is dipped in margarine before its grilled and that the decaf coffee is just watered down regular coffee.

For the very last time I live in australia and things are different in different countries.
    Especially considering nothing was ever dipped in margarine at out store? We didn't even HAVE butter except for english muffins.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

Yeah, it's possible it's powdered milk. I was in high school and then first 2 years of college when i worked there, so we're talking a few years back, but if memory serves it was a liquid mix for both the shakes and the ice cream. I don't recall ever running out, really. Seems like the logical thing to do would be to explain to customers that we didn't have X, but we had Y or Z instead...and, of course, woud you like fries with that?

Don't think you people understand, or even read my explanations - if we run out of icecream or such like that I do not live in the best neighbourhood and I remember getting punched in the face twice whilst working there and robbed as well. (and abused if we ever did not have product - i was only an employee, not a manager so i therefore did not make the decisions geez people.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    At McDs I always have grilled chicken on Bacon Ranch salad with Light Basamic vinergarette dressing. Only 270 calories total including dressing. Its high in salt but I've researched most of the fast food and this works best for me. I also have a gluten allergy so my choices are very limited.
    110 lbs lost since Nov.2010
  • Beckym1205
    Beckym1205 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I call BS. pictures or it didn't happen.

I know that's a funny internet phrase but there's no way she would have pictures. She's a former employee and that's the second time I've seen the claim that McDonald's uses flour in their milkshakes. The first time I called BS too. Now I heard it straight from the source that it's true. I feel like an idiot for defending McDonald's at this point.
    Lol, I'm betting it's powdered milk.

That would be my guess or some other powdery mix - which I still doubt. Usually if a store is out of something it's just too bad until next truck, or they borrow from a neighboring store. If a store did something weird with flour than it's a human screw up - that can happen at any restaurant.

Don't believe me, all I was trying to tell you guys is my experiences. Sorry for not wanting to listen to or believe the truth of what has happened in the stores that I have worked in.
    Not necessarily too bad until next truck since we used to have too many abusive customers then so decided to do it this way.

For the very last time I live in australia and things are different in different countries.
    Especially considering nothing was ever dipped in margarine at out store? We didn't even HAVE butter except for english muffins.

Thank you for sharing your personal experience.

I think we all have different personal experiences with different restaurants (fast food or otherwise) and I don't think anyone's PERSONAL EXPERIENCE should be on trial here.

So, I would once again like to thank those who shared their first hand personal experience regarding this place and I am grateful you took the time to share.
  • fitjunk
    fitjunk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You don't " have" to order anything, just take your own snack ! Let the people that want to eat there,eat there. Then you don't have to worry about what you just ate and how your going to burn it off.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    You don't " have" to order anything, just take your own snack ! Let the people that want to eat there,eat there. Then you don't have to worry about what you just ate and how your going to burn it off.

No, you either have to eat your snack alone outside, or think about where you're going to land when they throw you out. You aren't allowed to eat food or drink not bought on the premises in there.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Maybe in the locations you've been in, but I refuse to eat anything at McDonalds, and I've met people up there visiting or we're just stopping there so others in the group can eat, and I've brought my own bottled water and snacks, and no employee has ever said anything. I've also worked in cafes and restaurants for years in the past, and neither my coworkers nor myself would ever dream of telling someone they can't eat food that they brought in, especially if children are with them. That's a way to get bad press and reviews, and that is a HUGE no-no.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Maybe in the locations you've been in, but I refuse to eat anything at McDonalds, and I've met people up there visiting or we're just stopping there so others in the group can eat, and I've brought my own bottled water and snacks, and no employee has ever said anything. I've also worked in cafes and restaurants for years in the past, and neither my coworkers nor myself would ever dream of telling someone they can't eat food that they brought in, especially if children are with them. That's a way to get bad press and reviews, and that is a HUGE no-no.

It's not just McDs that have that rule. Bowling alleys, Bars, clubs, etc, all have signs on the entrance door saying "Only food and drink purchased on these premises may be consumed on these premises". They dont take kindly to you basically using their space to eat your own food/drink, and indeed, why should they? They want you to buy their products!

Again, not saying it's the right attitude, but i can see why they do it.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    no ****tin i would crush a 20 piece right about now!
  • sherrillg
    sherrillg Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I've become quite accustomed to their oatmeal - and they serve it all day, so I eat it most of the time when we are there (3 yr old twin granddaughters and live in the land of rain (Seattle) and must get some energy out in their playlands!)