McDonald's

Options
123457»

Replies

• KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Maybe in the locations you've been in, but I refuse to eat anything at McDonalds, and I've met people up there visiting or we're just stopping there so others in the group can eat, and I've brought my own bottled water and snacks, and no employee has ever said anything. I've also worked in cafes and restaurants for years in the past, and neither my coworkers nor myself would ever dream of telling someone they can't eat food that they brought in, especially if children are with them. That's a way to get bad press and reviews, and that is a HUGE no-no.

It's not just McDs that have that rule. Bowling alleys, Bars, clubs, etc, all have signs on the entrance door saying "Only food and drink purchased on these premises may be consumed on these premises". They dont take kindly to you basically using their space to eat your own food/drink, and indeed, why should they? They want you to buy their products!

Again, not saying it's the right attitude, but i can see why they do it.

Never encountered this rule, with the exception of movie theaters and theme parks (GO UNIVERSAL STUDIOS for letting people bring in their own food and water! YAY!) and some concert venues. I don't go to bars or bowling alleys anymore, but I never had a desire to eat while I was at one anyway, so I don't know. But any actual sit-down restaurant? Maybe a fancy shmancy one...but I've brought my own stuff into fast food places, coffee shops and cafes, parks...hell I've brought my own stuff into OLIVE GARDEN, and no one said anything. Some people have extreme food allergies but they want to hang out with the other people there, and when I worked for Starbucks, we frequently had people bring in their own food and drinks..they even brought in their own COFFEE. We never once told them to get out. Parents especially brought snacks for their kids, and I frequently see that at sit-down restaurants--parents bringing food for their kids, because they don't want their kids eating the food at the restaurants or their kids are allergic. I've had people come into the restaurants I've worked at and buy absolutely nothing..they just want to sit and enjoy the atmosphere or meet people or conduct interviews, and that was fine with us. I've brought cake and snacks to Applebee's, as well, because we were celebrating. Their waitresses get drunk on the clock, so pfft, if they got on my case about bringing cake, I'd call them out on their BS priorities game. :tongue:
  • BunnyBearLove
    Options
    haha, McDonald's must be the ultimate curse word on MFP XD I love the asian salads with grilled chicken no dressing! :)
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    Like everyone says, just look at their nutritional info. Best thing you can do.

And if I can be pre-emptive regarding the haters:

NO, McDonald's food does not contain wood as a filler

NO, McDonald's meat does not contain hoofs and non-edible animal parts

NO, McDonald's chicken is not 70% corn syrup

NO, McDonald's milkshakes are not mostly flour

NO, McDonald's does not steal newborn babies in the night to make their Big Macs

Ok that last one was just me being silly, every other ridiculous claim I have seen on these forums. I don't like McDonald's either. But I don't need to spread lies and rumors about them or anyone else. Use your head.

LOl!:laugh:
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Maybe in the locations you've been in, but I refuse to eat anything at McDonalds, and I've met people up there visiting or we're just stopping there so others in the group can eat, and I've brought my own bottled water and snacks, and no employee has ever said anything. I've also worked in cafes and restaurants for years in the past, and neither my coworkers nor myself would ever dream of telling someone they can't eat food that they brought in, especially if children are with them. That's a way to get bad press and reviews, and that is a HUGE no-no.

It's not just McDs that have that rule. Bowling alleys, Bars, clubs, etc, all have signs on the entrance door saying "Only food and drink purchased on these premises may be consumed on these premises". They dont take kindly to you basically using their space to eat your own food/drink, and indeed, why should they? They want you to buy their products!

Again, not saying it's the right attitude, but i can see why they do it.

Never encountered this rule, with the exception of movie theaters and theme parks (GO UNIVERSAL STUDIOS for letting people bring in their own food and water! YAY!) and some concert venues. I don't go to bars or bowling alleys anymore, but I never had a desire to eat while I was at one anyway, so I don't know. But any actual sit-down restaurant? Maybe a fancy shmancy one...but I've brought my own stuff into fast food places, coffee shops and cafes, parks...hell I've brought my own stuff into OLIVE GARDEN, and no one said anything. Some people have extreme food allergies but they want to hang out with the other people there, and when I worked for Starbucks, we frequently had people bring in their own food and drinks..they even brought in their own COFFEE. We never once told them to get out. Parents especially brought snacks for their kids, and I frequently see that at sit-down restaurants--parents bringing food for their kids, because they don't want their kids eating the food at the restaurants or their kids are allergic. I've had people come into the restaurants I've worked at and buy absolutely nothing..they just want to sit and enjoy the atmosphere or meet people or conduct interviews, and that was fine with us. I've brought cake and snacks to Applebee's, as well, because we were celebrating. Their waitresses get drunk on the clock, so pfft, if they got on my case about bringing cake, I'd call them out on their BS priorities game. :tongue:

In fact McDs over here often have signs saying "No Loitering"..i.e. buy something or get out. A lot of other places have a minimum order value. They just only want people in there who are actually buying something, not just using it as a meeting place / rest place.
  • KimmyEB
    Options
    Our local McDonalds is the "hang out" spot...parking lot is so full that most people have to park at the gas station next door, or at the retail places behind it, or they take a bus. I think ours ENCOURAGES loitering. :laugh:

I guess I can see if a group of people came into the place, and brought in Burger King food, and obnoxiously showed it off that they weren't buying anything or eating McDonald's products, yeah...that's a little weird. But shoot...people would bring in Dunkin Donuts coffee to my Starbucks, and I didn't care. I just refused to refill their coffee unless they got a new cup. :tongue:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    haha, McDonald's must be the ultimate curse word on MFP XD I love the asian salads with grilled chicken no dressing! :)
    Only for those who are "health gurus". And most of them become "health gurus" once they join MFP because for some reason they USED to eat it, but since they couldn't account for the calories, they now deem it a demon food and it's nasty and horrible and greasy and taste like crap. Lol, it's the sour grapes kinda thing.
    There are MANY here who can eat junk food, fast food, high calorie food and have it fit into their weekly diets. Is it the most nutritious. Of course you could do better, but as long as you get in your essentials, the rest is just calories added.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

In fact McDs over here often have signs saying "No Loitering"..i.e. buy something or get out. A lot of other places have a minimum order value. They just only want people in there who are actually buying something, not just using it as a meeting place / rest place.
    It's that way for most CA McDonald's because loitering encourages conflicts, and here they shoot to solve issues.
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    fruit parfait
  • KimmyEB
    Options
    shoot to solve issues.

:laugh:
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options

It's that way for most CA McDonald's because loitering encourages conflicts, and here they shoot to solve issues.

issues like getting a flour shake? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Southwest salad with grilled chicken! Yummy. I love the dressing, sad they don't sell it in stores.
  • fitjunk
    fitjunk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    O.K no need to be so fiesty! You are in fact allowed to bring a snack into the McDonalds here. Maybe it's just the staff not following the RULES, im not sure, but we do it all of the time here with no problem. I was just giving some good advice to the question and not expecting some snide remark from someone else on the topic! Im new here and not sure I will post anything again if there are lonely people here just looking to argue for their own entertainment. Just a thought.....people are here for encouragment and help..be nice..go excercise or do something productive instead of spending your time on the computer looking for some comment to rip apart! Have a nice day.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    However when McDonalds runs out of the usual mix for shakes (and icecream) there is a special mix we use with this special flour and water stuff.

Wait. When you run out of the necessary ingredients you just start adding whatever? I've been defending McDonald's against the rabid haters but if this is true it has me very concerned.

Special flour and water stuff? Do you know how a milkshake is supposed to be made? Here's a hint, you don't use flour.

So is the nutritional information provided only accurate for when you haven't run out of the necessary ingredients and just started grabbing whatever was handy?

Hoping I just missed the humor here...

but I worked at McD's for 4 summers and never saw this happen. :smile:

I know that Wendy's uses some powdered something or other to make Frosties. I never worked at McDonald's, so I don't know, but is it maybe something like that? And even if it is flour (I don't know how that's possible), I can think of worse things to ingest. If I get a milkshake, it's for the taste, not because I'm looking for health food.

Wendy's uses a liquid mix, it comes in a 2 1/2 gallon bag and is extremely a pain in the *kitten* to pour into the ice cream machine. I had an employee spill a bag on the floor once. Awesome. Are you in Hawaii? My friend is the DM of Wendy's Hawaii and they have to do everything weird there. Powdered frosty, frozen beef, etc.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    However when McDonalds runs out of the usual mix for shakes (and icecream) there is a special mix we use with this special flour and water stuff.

Wait. When you run out of the necessary ingredients you just start adding whatever? I've been defending McDonald's against the rabid haters but if this is true it has me very concerned.

Special flour and water stuff? Do you know how a milkshake is supposed to be made? Here's a hint, you don't use flour.

So is the nutritional information provided only accurate for when you haven't run out of the necessary ingredients and just started grabbing whatever was handy?

Hoping I just missed the humor here...

but I worked at McD's for 4 summers and never saw this happen. :smile:

I know that Wendy's uses some powdered something or other to make Frosties. I never worked at McDonald's, so I don't know, but is it maybe something like that? And even if it is flour (I don't know how that's possible), I can think of worse things to ingest. If I get a milkshake, it's for the taste, not because I'm looking for health food.

Wendy's uses a liquid mix, it comes in a 2 1/2 gallon bag and is extremely a pain in the *kitten* to pour into the ice cream machine. I had an employee spill a bag on the floor once. Awesome. Are you in Hawaii? My friend is the DM of Wendy's Hawaii and they have to do everything weird there. Powdered frosty, frozen beef, etc.

Not in Hawaii. I can't even remember where I heard that it was powdered, but I remember being quite surprised by that. My info may have been incorrect, though. :-)

I love me a good Frostie, anyway.

I was just reading through some of the stuff posted since I was last here and it occurred to me that the "flour and water" thing could not possibly be true. Or at least, it was NOT flour and water. Go mix some flour with water and see if you can drink it. I guarantee you can't, since it actually makes glue ...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Not in Hawaii. I can't even remember where I heard that it was powdered, but I remember being quite surprised by that. My info may have been incorrect, though. :-)

I love me a good Frostie, anyway.

I was just reading through some of the stuff posted since I was last here and it occurred to me that the "flour and water" thing could not possibly be true. Or at least, it was NOT flour and water. Go mix some flour with water and see if you can drink it. I guarantee you can't, since it actually makes glue ...
    I haven't had a Frosty in awhile. May have to go to Wendy's this week!!