Stop eating breakfast. Here's why.

Options

Replies

• Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Yay! I reached the end of the thread!

Having read the link, what it seems to say is:

1) Our bodies are designed to demand/require breakfast (the hormones described make you hungry, right? Grehlin or whatever it was called).

2) While in that natural state, if we eat, our bodies will prefer to store some fat, if possible.

3) We can prevent this by ignoring all the signals to eat from our bodies and delaying eating for a couple of hours.

As I am not attempting to lose fat right now, I'll just stick to letting my body tell me that I need breakfast. When losing weight in the past, I often split breakfas in two, which seemed very effective, but next time (hopefully having gained baby weight) I may just delay the whole thing a bit.

Thank you for the info. Our bodies really don't want us to lose too much fat, so if we want to, tricking them this way makes some sense.
  • butters1
    butters1 Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I've found, if I don't eat breakfast, I can easily go until 3 or 4 pm without feeling hungry at all, but if I eat breakfast, I will be starving all day long...I prefer to skip breakfast and keep all my calories in a 6-8 hr window in the afternoon....It's worked for me :) I've been consistently losing weight *well lately just inches b/c I've been building muscle* for the past 5 months.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    If you are skipping bfast and lunch, then you must be consuming all your calories in one meal??? And exercise in the evening?

I, too have to disagree......never once have I skipped any one of my 6 meals a day in the past year, and I have very successfully lost over 100 pounds :)
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If you are skipping bfast and lunch, then you must be consuming all your calories in one meal??? And exercise in the evening?

I, too have to disagree......never once have I skipped any one of my 6 meals a day in the past year, and I have very successfully lost over 100 pounds :)

No not one meal.....You have 6-8 hrs to eat in still---they are just from say 4PM to 12PM or 2PM to 10PM....I normally have one meal and two snacks in that time period....And you don't have to work out in the evening---A big part of IF is training while fasting.

I beleive either method works honestly....For me, it's easier to do what I'm doing now...It's all about making changes that you can keep forever right?? Well, I can skip breakfast and lunch way easier than I can plan out 5-6 small meals throughout my hectic day.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options

That's awesome! Welcome to the 100lb club!

No, I'm definitely not eating all my calories in one meal. I'm not sure why people keep saying that. Today I ate very little, just 3 hamburger patties with cheese and a bowl of raw broccoli covered in a little cheese and dipped in a little ranch, but I ate throughout the day once I got off work (each burger was 500 calories, so I still had plenty of cals). I had a hamburger pattie at 3:30, then lifted (I squatted 315x4 and 135x50 today. Obviously I'm really week from this low carb diet), then had the other two hamburgers and broccoli spread throughout the rest of the evening.

One of my favorite fast breaking meals after I get off work is an omelet with 4 eggs, 4 strips of bacon, 1/2 cup of sausage crumbles and 1/4 cup of shredded cheese. This all works out to about 500-600 calories with only about 7g of carbs and leaves me STUFFED for hours.
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options

One of my favorite fast breaking meals after I get off work is an omelet with 4 eggs, 4 strips of bacon, 1/2 cup of sausage crumbles and 1/4 cup of shredded cheese. This all works out to about 500-600 calories with only about 7g of carbs and leaves me STUFFED for hours.

Stop....you had me at bacon....
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

No not one meal.....You have 6-8 hrs to eat in still---they are just from say 4PM to 12PM or 2PM to 10PM....I normally have one meal and two snacks in that time period....And you don't have to work out in the evening---A big part of IF is training while fasting.

I beleive either method works honestly....For me, it's easier to do what I'm doing now...It's all about making changes that you can keep forever right?? Well, I can skip breakfast and lunch way easier than I can plan out 5-6 small meals throughout my hectic day.

i personally found IF is just more convenient and satiating for me, i usually have 1 smallish meal, 1 big meal and 1 dessert in my eating window. Normally i'll go 7ish hrs from waking to my first meal
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    wow, this has been an interesting read. It's 1:30pm here and I haven't eaten breakfast yet. Oh ****...:tongue:

To those who aren't willing to give up their eggs/bacon/oats whatever. You can actually eat these at any time of the day :smile:

To those who said they will make bad food choices if they don't eat breakfast, well that's just a lack of will power. And if you're under your TDEE and still getting adequate protein and fats then I don't see an issue.

To those that say they will be too hungry if they don't eat breakfast: that is because that is what you're body is used to. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ghrelin+&+leptin

It's also very easy to see the amount of people that have replied to this thread after reading the title and not the article.
  • horizonflight
    Options
    Ok, have I got your attention now? For a long time we've been fed the idea that breakfast is important. In fact, people call it the most important meal of the day (mostly cereal companies. . .jk). I started to learn about a year ago that this wasn't true. The more I researched and read, the more I realised that we were getting bad info. I started skipping breakfast and even lunch, not eating until I got off work around 3, and I started losing weight on demand and felt great once I got used to it. There are programs that make use of this idea, such as intermittent fasting, which I've used with success.

I posted another article from this author the other day, but I just found this one and again feel the need to let everyone else read this. I believe strongly in the things this author believes in and they have all worked for me. Yes, he does have programs he's designed, but I'm not trying to sell anything. I just want everyone to have this information.

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/nutrition/logic-does-not-apply-part-2-breakfast/

Dear TateFTW,

I disagree. This is what you do when you purge your body of the nutrients it needs to continue to function. You must have read the following:

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/diet_and_fitness/article578724.ece

Next thing we know people will say that anorexia and bulimia aren't medical conditions but, instead, are actually healthy for us. Really?
  • Acg67
    Options
    Ok, have I got your attention now? For a long time we've been fed the idea that breakfast is important. In fact, people call it the most important meal of the day (mostly cereal companies. . .jk). I started to learn about a year ago that this wasn't true. The more I researched and read, the more I realised that we were getting bad info. I started skipping breakfast and even lunch, not eating until I got off work around 3, and I started losing weight on demand and felt great once I got used to it. There are programs that make use of this idea, such as intermittent fasting, which I've used with success.

I posted another article from this author the other day, but I just found this one and again feel the need to let everyone else read this. I believe strongly in the things this author believes in and they have all worked for me. Yes, he does have programs he's designed, but I'm not trying to sell anything. I just want everyone to have this information.

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/nutrition/logic-does-not-apply-part-2-breakfast/

Dear TateFTW,

I disagree. This is what you do when you purge your body of the nutrients it needs to continue to function. You must have read the following:

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/diet_and_fitness/article578724.ece

Next thing we know people will say that anorexia and bulimia aren't medical conditions but, instead, are actually healthy for us. Really?

really? how is skipping breakfast purging your body of nutrients?

and the article you listed the author stated she couldn't skip breakfast and feels terrible when doing so, she doesn't present any actual research against skipping breakfast

and did you just bring up eating disorders? and somehow that is even relevant to this conversation? if you eat the same amount of cals, when you eat them or how many meals you eat them in makes zero difference
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    It was just last night I was reading about intermittent method/training/nutrition. From what I gathered there's a feeding stage and a healing/recovery stage. During the feeding stage you simply eat all of your calories for the day. A feeding stage lasts for like 8 hours. So 4 meals spaced out every 2 hours. Your first meal being your largest one and your last being the smallest. Call it not eating breakfast, but if you count ahead 8 hours using this method, If you eat breakfast at 6 am, you should be finished eating for the day by 2pm. If breakfast is at 10, then you'd be done eating by 6. Simply adjust based on your individual schedule.

I don't do the above, but I don't think it's unhealthy. I do think that marketing messes with people more than they realize. Just like making you think there's something wrong with you by saying you're an "overpronater" so here buy these special shoes that will cure your problem. When I first started in a natural running form, I ditched my heavy duty brooks beasts for a pair of saucony kinvara's and haven't looked back. I run farther and faster with zero aches / pains. The mind!

There's an article out there to support whatever you believe. Just do what works for you.
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    Despite proof from your article, there is also an abundance of research that proves breakfast is key to weight loss. I suppose there is no conclusion when it comes to this topic; it depends on the individual.

Weight-loss is actually quite simple. You need to burn more calories than you eat. (And consume healthy calories) Unless I'm wrong, I don't think what you eat at what the time of the day is a significant issue when it comes to weight-loss.
  • horizonflight
    Options
    I feel like I just wasted half an hour of my life reading this entire thread.

Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are culturally created concepts. Who says you have to eat at a certain time of the day? Who says you have to eat bacon and eggs or cereal for breakfast? Just listen to your body and do what feels right. For me, eating breakfast feels right because I'm hungry after 8 hours of sleep. If I wasn't hungry when I woke up I probably wouldn't be eating until I felt hungry.

And can't we all just get along? :)

Began to type a post then saw this. Just sums up what I think!

Circadian Rhythm.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    HEY guys!!! i have a belly button!!

Holy ****! I do too!!!! :noway:
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    i usually wake up hungry, and i'm a total ***** when i'm hungry (and, thankfully, ONLY when i'm hungry!), so i think it's in the best interest of those who have to deal with me that i continue to eat breakfast!

Same here...I can only imagine how many people will be killed if I didn't eat until 3pm. *shudder*
  • horizonflight
    Options

Dear TateFTW,

and the article you listed the author stated she couldn't skip breakfast and feels terrible when doing so, she doesn't present any actual research against skipping breakfast

and did you just bring up eating disorders? and somehow that is even relevant to this conversation? if you eat the same amount of cals, when you eat them or how many meals you eat them in makes zero difference

You're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine. If you disagree with what I say then I'm happy for ya'. Doesn't change my mind about the thread and the information within the thread.
  • horizonflight
    Options

In addition, the starter of this thread clearly indicated that he "started skipping breakfast and even lunch" and he started losing weight on demand. He made no mention that he was eating the "recommended caloric goal" for the day for his particular body. If I starved myself I'd lose weight quickly myself, I'm sure I'd also gain it back since I've tried that route before. The mention about anorexia and bulimia was not referencing that's what he's doing. I was cross-referencing that, in my opinion, saying that skipping meals and not making up the calorie count your body needs for proper nutrients is ok, is the same as saying that anorexia and bulimia are not medical conditions and are perfectly ok. I DID NOT say that the thread owner had anorexia or bulimia or was bound to end up with either conditions.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Dear TateFTW,

How is it purging your body of nutrients if you're getting your daily caloric requirements? Simple question here..
  • Acg67
    Options

Dear TateFTW,

You're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine. If you disagree with what I say then I'm happy for ya'. Doesn't change my mind about the thread and the information within the thread.

i'm not trying to change your opinion but i fail to see how eating disorders even come up in the topic of skipping breakfast and instead adding those calories into other meals