Stop eating breakfast. Here's why.

Options

Replies

• Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast does not speed up, rev, or kick start your metabolism. Those that think that, have no idea how the human body works. I follow IF, never eat breakfast and eat the majority of my calories just before bed and I am in the best shape of my life and getting better every day.

That's a broad statement. I guess all of the nutritionists, scientists, and personal trainers who advocate 4-6 meals small meals a day including breakfast have no idea how the human body works? Like it was said ealier, people are different and need different approaches. You genetically seem to be able to get away with eating like crap and late at night while not doing cardio. I never could, but like I said, we're all different.

It's not that they don't know how the body works. They're just re-stating the same crap they've heard over and over. Eating throughout the day helps with appetite, nothing more. In fact, it has be theorized that taking in carbs so consistently throughout the day can actually have a negative affect on insulin sensativity in specific cases.

You're assuming all the meals are carb-loaded and that's not always the case. For some yes, but not for others.
  • CyrusMachin
    CyrusMachin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    "The concept isn't about growing up or actually running a race against each other. The concept is YOU WILL NOT PERFORM WELL WITH A NUTRITION PLAN LIKE THIS. Period...I don't care which of the areas you pick - endurance, strength, etc. - if you put two equally fit people next to each other, and use your diet plan vs. a sensible one, you will lose."

I've followed all kinds of eating regimens throughout my life and I can honestly say, that for me, I personally performed better in all sports when I didn't have breakfast - I don't know why but I just did. A simple mixture of BCAA's, caffeine and some grape juice always seemed to do the trick for me and it still does. I don't follow the Intermittent Fasting protocol per se, but I have in the past, and it worked for me. Bottom line...sometimes I eat breakfast, sometimes I don't. I will say this...You seem adamant that a person just can't perform to his highest potential if he practices Intermittent Fasting and I would argue that when it comes to performance, you gotta do what works for you. No amount of science can tell me that what I do doesn't work. In regard to your above comment...There's a guy named Herschel Walker that might disagree with you. He only ate once a day and continues to do so till this day. Some might argue he's the best running back of all time.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Also, I have read countless responses from those that say they would go hypo or they would not feel well if they skipped breakfast. I also fell into this category but my body adapted once it got used to using fat for energy instead of food. Your body is a comlex thing and we should never underestimate it.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I know alot of endurance athletes as well as bodybuilders at the Gold's gym I go to that train fasted because of the simple fact that if they eat breakfast before they train, they feel sick to their stomaches. lol
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    "The concept isn't about growing up or actually running a race against each other. The concept is YOU WILL NOT PERFORM WELL WITH A NUTRITION PLAN LIKE THIS. Period...I don't care which of the areas you pick - endurance, strength, etc. - if you put two equally fit people next to each other, and use your diet plan vs. a sensible one, you will lose."

I've followed all kinds of eating regimens throughout my life and I can honestly say, that for me, I personally performed better in all sports when I didn't have breakfast - I don't know why but I just did. A simple mixture of BCAA's, caffeine and some grape juice always seemed to do the trick for me and it still does. I don't follow the Intermittent Fasting protocol per se, but I have in the past, and it worked for me. Bottom line...sometimes I eat breakfast, sometimes I don't. I will say this...You seem adamant that a person just can't perform to his highest potential if he practices Intermittent Fasting and I would argue that when it comes to performance, you gotta do what works for you. No amount of science can tell me that what I do doesn't work. In regard to your above comment...There's a guy named Herschel Walker that might disagree with you. He only ate once a day and continues to do so till this day. Some might argue he's the best running back of all time.

"BCAA's, caffeine and some grape juice" You might not be eating something - but you're still fueling your body with something.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Fascinating. And think, you'll lose even more weight if you just skip ALL the meals.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    No, never experienced th Hypo thing, but if you are going to convince me that your junk food/ no cardio diet is the best approach, you have all your work ahead of you. I'll side with every every Bodybuilder, natural or not, professional atheletic trainer, and nutrionist until legions of guys like you are getting the same results. I actually did the whole eat like ****/high calorie diet and skipped breakfast and carido from 2005-2008. It sort of worked, I was benching 405 lbs. But I also weighed around 300 lbs.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast does not speed up, rev, or kick start your metabolism. Those that think that, have no idea how the human body works. I follow IF, never eat breakfast and eat the majority of my calories just before bed and I am in the best shape of my life and getting better every day.

That's a broad statement. I guess all of the nutritionists, scientists, and personal trainers who advocate 4-6 meals small meals a day including breakfast have no idea how the human body works? Like it was said ealier, people are different and need different approaches. You genetically seem to be able to get away with eating like crap and late at night while not doing cardio. I never could, but like I said, we're all different.

It's not that they don't know how the body works. They're just re-stating the same crap they've heard over and over. Eating throughout the day helps with appetite, nothing more. In fact, it has be theorized that taking in carbs so consistently throughout the day can actually have a negative affect on insulin sensativity in specific cases.

You're assuming all the meals are carb-loaded and that's not always the case. For some yes, but not for others.

No, I'm not, but most of the time when people are told to eat smaller meals throughout the day, they're also told to make them balanced meals. That means carbs.

Even if not all the meals include carbs, there are still no postivies to eating throughout the day other than appetite control.
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different. I'll take my healthy breakfast . . . .thank you! :wink:
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Fascinating. And think, you'll lose even more weight if you just skip ALL the meals.

"facts do not cease to exist just because you have a whitty comeback."- ME

Did you READ the article?
  • Brandi_Lee
    Options
    I don't agree that breakfast should be skipped all together, but I have seen many people have excelled weight loss and met fitness goals faster when they work out/train before they eat in the morning.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    What's interesting is that breakfast is different for many people. "They" say that breakfast should be within half an hour of waking up in order to "get your metabolism in gear." But I wake up at 5:30am and don't eat breakfast until I get to the office at around 8am. At thins point, I've been awake for three hours. Would my meal at 8-8:30am still be considered breakfast? IDK...
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I know alot of endurance athletes as well as bodybuilders at the Gold's gym I go to that train fasted because of the simple fact that if they eat breakfast before they train, they feel sick to their stomaches. lol

I used to hit the gym at 4am. There was no way I was waking up a bit earlier for bfast!
  • elysecea
    elysecea Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I can eat a full breakfast and then go jump around and I am fine LOL. Me personally I feel lethargic if I dont eat before I workout.
  • elysecea
    elysecea Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    What's interesting is that breakfast is different for many people. "They" say that breakfast should be within half an hour of waking up in order to "get your metabolism in gear." But I wake up at 5:30am and don't eat breakfast until I get to the office at around 8am. At thins point, I've been awake for three hours. Would my meal at 8-8:30am still be considered breakfast? IDK...
    For me, I classify breakfast as my first meal of the day.
  • LimeyTart
    LimeyTart Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    HOLY CRAP!

WHAT HAVE I UNLEASHED!?

Evidently breakfast is the golden calf of the myfitnesspal world. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to BBQ your golden goddess!

As a retort, first and foremost, half of you didn't even read the article, which is annoying.

I said in my post that skipping breakfast is one of the strategies I use to lose weight. I'm most certainly not starving myself, and I never said that it was impossible to eat breakfast and lose fat. That would be stupid of me.

My points were as follows;

1. Eating breakfast doesn't make your metabolism faster. In fact, it might (MIGHT, I said MIGHT) make it slower.

2. The morning is a great time to burn fat if you use it to your advantage. (a little fasted HIIT, anyone?)

3. The insulin response you get from carbs in the morning slows or even halts the process of using fat for energy.

As for how I look, I never compared myself to anyone else, or said anything that could be taken as a personal insult to anyone else, so it's disheartening that someone would discount what this article says based on how I look. Like my signature says, I've lost a LOT of weight, and learned a lot in my efforts to keep it off and take myself even further.

If you are finding success while eating breakfast as part of a healthy diet, then more power to you! As you get leaner, like I have, and you start to have trouble getting the last bit of fat off, you may need more advanced strategies to cut fat while trying to retain muscle.

I AM having that trouble. Thank you for the information. I will look in to this more in depth :)
  • franciscoj1
    Options
    I feel like I just wasted half an hour of my life reading this entire thread.

Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are culturally created concepts. Who says you have to eat at a certain time of the day? Who says you have to eat bacon and eggs or cereal for breakfast? Just listen to your body and do what feels right. For me, eating breakfast feels right because I'm hungry after 8 hours of sleep. If I wasn't hungry when I woke up I probably wouldn't be eating until I felt hungry.

And can't we all just get along? :)
  • dieseljay74
    Options
    Brother I wake up so damn hungry....especially if I lifted hard the day before. I would be drooling in the corner by 9AM without breakfast...
  • iamlegion714
    iamlegion714 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i just read the article. i am going to reference some of the published studies if i can find them online. i am interested. thanks for shakin *kitten* up, thats always a plus. gets some people to think and others to prove their ignorant tendencies.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I feel like I just wasted half an hour of my life reading this entire thread.

Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are culturally created concepts. Who says you have to eat at a certain time of the day? Who says you have to eat bacon and eggs or cereal for breakfast? Just listen to your body and do what feels right. For me, eating breakfast feels right because I'm hungry after 8 hours of sleep. If I wasn't hungry when I woke up I probably wouldn't be eating until I felt hungry.

And can't we all just get along? :)

Began to type a post then saw this. Just sums up what I think!