Stop eating breakfast. Here's why.

Options

Replies

• Jennyzfit
    Jennyzfit Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You could probably find an article to support any diet or nutrional philosophy. Stick with sources you know are valid and do what works for you.

I totally agree with this statement.
  • Jennyzfit
    Options
    You need breakfast every day and to eat about every 3-4 hours to keep your metabolism up. Metabolism up means burning calories and running your body effeciently. Kinda like a car needs gas to run. Wierd anology but it's the only one I can think of right now.
    Here's to wishing you good health.
  • strawberryromper
    strawberryromper Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You need breakfast every day and to eat about every 3-4 hours to keep your metabolism up. Metabolism up means burning calories and running your body effeciently. Kinda like a car needs gas to run. Wierd anology but it's the only one I can think of right now.

I've read this a lot, but I've never actually seen a study to indicate that you do harm to your metabolism by eating less often than every four hours or so. I did see a website link to a study indicating that it does take much longer to slow your metabolism by not eating (and that you do not go into "starvation mode" if you eat, say, less than 700 calories one day- basically that it takes a longer period of severe calorie deficit to trigger a slowed metabolism). I think someone else in the thread has already linked to that one though.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

::SIGH::
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You should read these
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20339363
  • Jennyzfit
    Options
    I've never read the studies either. With exercising and having an active day this works well for me.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Look no further than this thread to see why this world is so stinking fat. If you don't eat every three hours you will hit starvation mode, get sick and die. Common sense is rarely seen these days...........sad.
  • saturn2002
    saturn2002 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with anyone skipping breakfast. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, the reason why I states this during the night we sleep for 8 or more hrs without eating, so we must feed our body, this is why it's called BREAK-FAST we are breaking our 8 or more hrs fast . Now if you stated you had your larger meal at breakfast and eat lighter for the rest of the day I could agree with you.. No matter how you change your eating habits you should have a meal in the morning to break your fast.
    Good luck with your healthy life style.:smile:
  • _CHRISTIE_
    _CHRISTIE_ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You could probably find an article to support any diet or nutrional philosophy. Stick with sources you know are valid and do what works for you.

I agree with this! I used to not eat breakfast...hence why I ended up 200 lbs... now that I eat breakfast I do much better with balanching the rest of my meals.... I think to each their own, but I don't think for a lot of reasons what you are doing is healthy but that's just my opinion!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with anyone skipping breakfast. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, the reason why I states this during the night we sleep for 8 or more hrs without eating, so we must feed our body, this is why it's called BREAK-FAST we are breaking our 8 or more hrs fast . Now if you stated you had your larger meal at breakfast and eat lighter for the rest of the day I could agree with you.. No matter how you change your eating habits you should have a meal in the morning to break your fast.
    Good luck with your healthy life style.:smile:

...did you read any of this thread?
  • Jennyzfit
    Options
    Look no further than this thread to see why this world is so stinking fat. If you don't eat every three hours you will hit starvation mode, get sick and die. Common sense is rarely seen these days...........sad.

Thank You Thank you! :)
  • strawberryromper
    Options

Thank You Thank you! :)

I'm confused about if you know what's going on here and are being snarky, or if your thank yous are genuine...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I agree with this! I used to not eat breakfast...hence why I ended up 200 lbs

Post hoc ergo propter hoc
  • Jennyzfit
    Options
    I meant a genuine "thank you" because I truly believe you should eat every 4 hours. I don't mean eating full meals either. With MFP you can still get your calories in by eating every 4 hours. It's all about choices of what your eating.
  • strawberryromper
    Options
    I meant a genuine "thank you" because I truly believe you should eat every 4 hours. I don't mean eating full meals either. With MFP you can still get your calories in by eating every 4 hours. It's all about choices of what your eating.

But they were being sarcastic/hyperbolic, so you were thanking them for agreeing with something that they were only "agreeing" with because they think is silly.
  • Jennyzfit
    Options
    My apologies if I offended anyone.
  • debswebby
    Options
    My husband eats once a day - his main meal at about 9 - 9.30 at night. He has never had a weight problem.
    He says that whether you eat 3 meals a day or 5 or 1, you should only eat when you're hungry and not when the clock tells you to. If you want breakfast, eat breakfast. If you're not hungry at 12 or 1 don't have lunch. It won't kill you. We have forgotten how to listen to our bodies. Our bodies tell us when its time to eat not the clock.
    Its taken me a long time to get used to this and I still haven't really. I've been trained from a young age to eat by the clock.

But you know, everyone is different and what works for one, won't work for someone else. You need to find whatever method is going to make this easier to bear and if it ain't broke don't fix it :smile:
  • hooma
    hooma Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Lol this is a funny thread. It would be cool if you had to take a reading comprehension quiz proving that you actually read OP's article before commenting on it. I'm sure there are people who would still disagree and could cite valid reasons, but that would take the conversation much further than "nu uh" and "yea huh."

I've been thinking about trying IF for a few weeks now and am trying to read up on it. Thanks for posting this article. The only reason why I hesistate is because I like my morning routine and I finally found a cereal that is decently healthy and delicious (not the most compelling reason). And if it doesn't work than I guess I'll have no choice but to...start eating breakfast again!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

You obviously do not know anything about metabolism.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options

oh. my. holy. god.

Is someone playing a joke on me right now? Where's the hidden camera?