Stop eating breakfast. Here's why.

Options

Replies

• FelizMi
    FelizMi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    What I've been told is to eat 3 small meals and 3 snacks about 2 hours apart throughout the day. Granted I leared this with my lapband pre-diet, but I was told that it is a good idea for everyone beause it keeps your body from bottoming out during the day. Constant energy as opposed to highs and lows.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    FFS

This can't be solved by witty banter back and forth.

It can only be solved by bare knuckle boxing... so hash it out. Do it. Just stop with the idiotic responses trying to "out do" eachother. :huh:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    i'm a mess, i haven't eaten since 10pm last night, so i ate after 8pm and i had some cho, i could feel it turning right to fat, then i skipped breakfast this morning and i think my muscles are atrophying away as we speak

Obviously
  • mrshickey
    Options
    I eat breakfast although I am going to try eating it later and not as soon as I wake up. This is because I tend to get hungry between breakfast and lunch so closing that time gap I hope it will fill that void and temptation to snack.

ditto. im rarely hungry straight away and on the odd occasion i am, if i eat breakfast im hungry alll day then i end up struggling to stay within my calories. ive stopped calling my meals 'breakfast', 'lunch', 'dinner' etc when im logging on here. i just say first, second, third meal and snacks. so sometimes my first meal is at midday, sometimes its at 8.

i dont thnk breakfast is important. enough food is, and the right type of food no matter what time you eat it
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options
    FFS

It can only be solved by bare knuckle boxing... so hash it out. Do it. Just stop with the idiotic responses trying to "out do" eachother. :huh:

Wel I will lose cos I cant make a fist for *kitten* :happy:
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I can also guarantee you I will outperform you in any phsyical activity in that same stretch - yes, any.

Again, another ignorant statement because you don't know me nor do you know any of the other bodybuilders or athletes on this site.

P.S. Go look in the mirror and ask yourself, "Do I need to grow up?"
  • FitForeverAgain
    FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    FFS

My idiotic response regarding 'outdo'ing' is the exact point I'm making. Yes, you will LOSE weight like this (and any other absurd impossible to maintain diet). BUT, you will NOT perform anywhere close to potential, nor be doing your body any favors in it's health. Are we after PURE SCALE BASED WEIGHT LOSS or LONG-TERM FITNESS? If you want the first, go with it, if you want the latter, then this insn't the approach.
  • grimms11208
    grimms11208 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You make me smile! :laugh:
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I would also say you could lose weight by locking yourself in a room with no food for a month - but it won't be healthy. There are many ways to lose weight, but that is not our overarching goal here. The overarching goal is become fit. This isn't myweightlosspal.com. Fit is a long-term commitment to eating correctly, and building lean mass while decreasing (or in some rare cases) increasing body fat to a healthy level. Out of all that, the key is LONG-TERM. Our bodies are not meant to build up a full days store of immediate energy needs. There's a reason we get hungry regularly, because we need doses of calories to burn throughout the day. If your theory stood, we could simply eat once a week and be done with it until next Monday!

Back the LONG-TERM concept. Do you see yourself eating one meal for the rest of your life? If you do not, then it is a diet plan, and not a lifestyle change. Simply put, this concept is unworkable, unhealthy, and unmanageable. It is misguided, and one more silly diet scheme to sell a book, or a website, or a ThighMaster. Be sensible, eat right, workout hard, and you will get results.

WHAT HE SAID.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    HOLY CRAP!

WHAT HAVE I UNLEASHED!?

Evidently breakfast is the golden calf of the myfitnesspal world. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to BBQ your golden goddess!

As a retort, first and foremost, half of you didn't even read the article, which is annoying.

I said in my post that skipping breakfast is one of the strategies I use to lose weight. I'm most certainly not starving myself, and I never said that it was impossible to eat breakfast and lose fat. That would be stupid of me.

My points were as follows;

1. Eating breakfast doesn't make your metabolism faster. In fact, it might (MIGHT, I said MIGHT) make it slower.

2. The morning is a great time to burn fat if you use it to your advantage. (a little fasted HIIT, anyone?)

3. The insulin response you get from carbs in the morning slows or even halts the process of using fat for energy.

As for how I look, I never compared myself to anyone else, or said anything that could be taken as a personal insult to anyone else, so it's disheartening that someone would discount what this article says based on how I look. Like my signature says, I've lost a LOT of weight, and learned a lot in my efforts to keep it off and take myself even further.

If you are finding success while eating breakfast as part of a healthy diet, then more power to you! As you get leaner, like I have, and you start to have trouble getting the last bit of fat off, you may need more advanced strategies to cut fat while trying to retain muscle.
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I think that the OP could be onto something, but to each their own. I always like to think of us as animals. I often wonder what animals have the luxury of waking up in the morning to find food waiting for them out in the open. I can't really think of any. That is why I like the idea of working out before eating. I feel like it simulates hunting or foraging for my first meal. I would also imagine that on some days, even the best hunters, don't find their food until 2 in the afternoon. I won't be trying it because I like to remain conscious and alert. I have found that I get cranky and kind of loopy if I don't eat.
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    The amount of misinformation on here sometimes makes me want to vomit.
  • FitForeverAgain
    FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I can also guarantee you I will outperform you in any phsyical activity in that same stretch - yes, any.

Again, another ignorant statement because you don't know me nor do you know any of the other bodybuilders or athletes on this site.

The concept isn't about growing up or actually running a race against each other. The concept is YOU WILL NOT PERFORM WELL WITH A NUTRITION PLAN LIKE THIS. Period...I don't care which of the areas you pick - endurance, strength, etc. - if you put two equally fit people next to each other, and use your diet plan vs. a sensible one, you will lose.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    FFS

My idiotic response regarding 'outdo'ing' is the exact point I'm making. Yes, you will LOSE weight like this (and any other absurd impossible to maintain diet). BUT, you will NOT perform anywhere close to potential, nor be doing your body any favors in it's health. Are we after PURE SCALE BASED WEIGHT LOSS or LONG-TERM FITNESS? If you want the first, go with it, if you want the latter, then this insn't the approach.

But the article actually mentions body composition specifically, as opposed to scale weight. This article is about cutting fat while maintaining muscle.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    The amount of misinformation on here sometimes makes me want to vomit.

Well, there is a lot of information in this post, which is vomit worthy?
  • joejccva71
    Options

The concept isn't about growing up or actually running a race against each other. The concept is YOU WILL NOT PERFORM WELL WITH A NUTRITION PLAN LIKE THIS. Period...I don't care which of the areas you pick - endurance, strength, etc. - if you put two equally fit people next to each other, and use your diet plan vs. a sensible one, you will lose.

I don't understand your arguement. You are saying that I won't perform well because I didn't eat breakfast?

Please clarify and then we'll continue this debacle.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    I think everyone is waiting . . .
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    There have been NUMEROUS studies on the effects of eating breakfast and weight loss.

Pretty much all of them say, statistically, you are much more likely to eat healthier choices and less calories if you eat breakfast.

Is in necessary? Probably not. If you are a 100% dedicated, self driven person that never gives into their urges you might beat the statistics. But recommending it to the masses who WON'T beat the statistics doesn't help them.

The average person should eat breakfast. Period.

The OP is simply stating that it isnt required to eat breakfast to lose weight nor be healthy.

And actually Martin Berkhan has proven studies that have showed more people have lost weight by skipping breakfast and eating higher carbs at night.

When I say studies, I mean double blind medical studies. Not broscience studies by people attempting to sell books or programs or supplements.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

except you're not really talking about 2 different diets but meal plans, assuming identical macros, why would a meal plan that includes breakfast have better results/performance then one without?
  • joejccva71
    Options
    There have been NUMEROUS studies on the effects of eating breakfast and weight loss.

Pretty much all of them say, statistically, you are much more likely to eat healthier choices and less calories if you eat breakfast.

Is in necessary? Probably not. If you are a 100% dedicated, self driven person that never gives into their urges you might beat the statistics. But recommending it to the masses who WON'T beat the statistics doesn't help them.

The average person should eat breakfast. Period.

The OP is simply stating that it isnt required to eat breakfast to lose weight nor be healthy.

And actually Martin Berkhan has proven studies that have showed more people have lost weight by skipping breakfast and eating higher carbs at night.

When I say studies, I mean double blind medical studies. Not broscience studies by people attempting to sell books or programs or supplements.

So you're referring to the NIH and other medical studies that Martin Berkhan links on his site? He also gives all of his Intermittent Fasting methods and instruction for free on his site. Also he doesn't try to sell supplements, he merely recommends which ones to get like Scivations BCAA's which are the leading BCAA supps in the world. I use them still to this day.

Not sure what you are getting at here bro.