Stop eating breakfast. Here's why.

Options

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    People just don't seem to get it.

I can GUARANTEE you that I can eat one meal a day for the next 7 days and eat at a 500 calorie deficit, get my minimum protein and fat macros, and my servings of fruits and veggies in that one meal and I will be just as healthy and still lose weight as if I was eating a bunch of meals including BREAKFAST.

Also no one is saying that this approach is good for diabetics or a person with a medical condition. Not sure who pulled that into this. Just saying.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Ugh...this thread should be deleted. Haha...I almost feel bad taking time to write a post. I have nothing against people who do or dot eat breakfast. I also will not discuss/argue this topic. I don't eat breakfast, I DON'T eat a traditional postworkout meal, I train hard, I''ve made lots of progress. CLEARLY. I plan to continue in this fashion. Do what works for you. I'll say it again, this thread should be deleted.

Should not be deleted. It's called freedom of speech.

In my house on weekends having breakfast together is a great start to the day and something we really enjoy.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I love heated debates based upon anecdotal evidence and someone's blog . . .

and how many controlled studies are their that show not eating breakfast is harmful to weightloss/body comp?

Anyone can skew data of a research study to validate their hypothesis...its called statistics. If people on here are interested in seeing valid and reliable studies go to a scholarly peer reviewed journal where you will have plenty of information available to you so you can make your own judgement. That being said, many of those studies can be biased as well but they will still be more accurate than a lot of information that is out there.
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Some days I eat breakfast, some days I don't. Its whatever to me.

BUT

I always find it amusing when the out-of-shape "healthy" people gang up and attack the more-fit people with results they wish they had the discipline to attain for themselves. Ok, more than amusing.. its comedy hour.
  • elysecea
    elysecea Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I strongly disagree with you !!! Do you know that from my own personal experience that if you do not eat enough carbs for breakfast to give you energy for workouts, your body will use your protein for energy? The whole point is to build muscle to burn more calories. If your body is burning your protein you are eating instead of the carbs ( which are your energy suppliers). That will hinder your muscle building. Eating all of your calories at once not such a good thing...I dont understand how you have energy to go about your day. I see you have lost weight and that is awesome! You need to think long term and breakfast in my book is a must! I do high intensity cardio and If i did not eat breakfast I would never have the energy to do what I do, but hey if that works for you then by all means carry-on!

so the body doesn't use fat for energy?
    Well yes of course LOL I just failed to put that as well.
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options

I can GUARANTEE you that I can eat one meal a day for the next 7 days and eat at a 500 calorie deficit, get my minimum protein and fat macros, and my servings of fruits and veggies in that one meal and I will be just as healthy and still lose weight as if I was eating a bunch of meals including BREAKFAST.

Also no one is saying that this approach is good for diabetics or a person with a medical condition. Not sure who pulled that into this. Just saying.

I get it, I am not arrogant enough to think there is only one way to do things, but everyone has to find there own way, I applaud you for having the willpower to have only one meal a day, but it just doesn't work for me.
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Ugh...this thread should be deleted. Haha...I almost feel bad taking time to write a post. I have nothing against people who do or dot eat breakfast. I also will not discuss/argue this topic. I don't eat breakfast, I DON'T eat a traditional postworkout meal, I train hard, I''ve made lots of progress. CLEARLY. I plan to continue in this fashion. Do what works for you. I'll say it again, this thread should be deleted.

In my house on weekends having breakfast together is a great start to the day and something we really enjoy.

We do the same thing in my family, its called pizza night. Except we get up early... skip breakfast run out to the beach, spend the day swimming, surfing, diving then later on when we get hungry - we destroy two 19" pizzas between the 5 of us :)

The point is that we have a good time, it works for us... the way breakfast works for you. EVERYONE is different and I think that is all the OP was trying to say...
  • joejccva71
    Options

and how many controlled studies are their that show not eating breakfast is harmful to weightloss/body comp?

Anyone can skew data of a research study to validate their hypothesis...its called statistics. If people on here are interested in seeing valid and reliable studies go to a scholarly peer reviewed journal where you will have plenty of information available to you so you can make your own judgement. That being said, many of those studies can be biased as well but they will still be more accurate than a lot of information that is out there.

The National Institutes of Health doesn't just make crap up for the heck of it. All they do is research and studies. When you get 50 people into one room and half of them do one thing, and half of them do something different, and all the data is recorded....what are these people just liars or fakes?

Not all of the government are full of crooks people lol.
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    HEY guys!!! i have a belly button!!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    i guess i'll start eating breakfast again, since you can't be healthy if you skip it...
  • elysecea
    elysecea Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I strongly disagree with you !!! Do you know that from my own personal experience that if you do not eat enough carbs for breakfast to give you energy for workouts, your body will use your protein for energy?
    Unless you workout at night. Then AM carbs really don't matter
    Yes Jezzi that is true , I predominantly work out in the am because I work at night. I typically eat breakfast between 8:30 - 12:00 depending on when I get up, I just consider breakfast my first meal of the day. Sometimes I am an early riser and sometimes not LOL. Sometimes my dinner is at 9pm . I just try to make sure that I eat 3 meals a day plus 2 snacks, all within my caloric goal.
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options

I get it.. I just don't agree. I know that in theory I could do this.. but as I posted earlier, I'm a mom, and this isn't something I would teach my kids. Why? Because, for me PERSONALLY (see what I did there? all caps.. makes it official!), it's a lifestyle and not a diet. I'm not trying to be superwoman fit girl or a super model, I just want to be healthy. If I wake up hungry, I eat. If not, I won't. But I think the OP is taking a different approach than how I look at it as a mom. He's not. Well.. I don't think he is anyway...

Sorry, I got off topic.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    i guess i'll start eating breakfast again, since you can't be healthy if you skip it...

*sigh*

Me too I guess.

Sorry Berkhan, but your Intermittent Fasting idea just doesn't work and sucks. Go back to eating breakfast ya bum. ;)
  • joejccva71
    Options

I get it.. I just don't agree. I know that in theory I could do this.. but as I posted earlier, I'm a mom, and this isn't something I would teach my kids. Why? Because, for me PERSONALLY (see what I did there? all caps.. makes it official!), it's a lifestyle and not a diet. I'm not trying to be superwoman fit girl or a super model, I just want to be healthy. If I wake up hungry, I eat. If not, I won't. But I think the OP is taking a different approach than how I look at it as a mom. He's not. Well.. I don't think he is anyway...

Sorry, I got off topic.

Just proving a point is all. I gotta stop doing that. Pisses people off. (not you just saying) =)
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've read through this thread, and I just don't want to get into it... but I wanted to join in the fun, so here's a breakfast recipe I wanted to share!

I make these Breakfast Muffins nearly every Sunday evening, for an "on the go" breakfast during the week - I warm up one or two and eat 'em on the drive to work! You could also warm up a whole wheat tortilla with some cheese and one of these muffins for an egg burrito.

You can pretty much make the "filling" however you want - this is how I do it....

To make 12 "muffins", this is what I saute' together in a large frying pan sprayed with no-stick spray:

1 medium Chopped onion - I use purple onion
    1 large Red Bell Pepper
    1/4 - 1/2 cup cooked broccoli
    1/4 - 1/2 cup cooked spinach
    Morningstar Farms Original Sausage Patties - 4 patties

I make sure everything is chopped up before I throw it in the pan.

As that's all cooking together I beat together the following:

4 whole eggs
    1 1/2 cups "All Whites" - carton egg whites, this is equivelant to 8 whole eggs
    10-12 tablespoons (approximated) skim milk.
    (I'm watching my egg yolk consumption, but if it's not an issue for you then you could certainly just use 12 whole eggs instead).

Spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Put equal spoonfulls of the "filling" mixture from the frying pan into each section of the prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle with a very small amount of shredded cheese - I prefer Parmesan. Using a ladle, pour egg mixture over the filling/cheese.

I bake at 375 degrees for 12-18 minutes until eggs are cooked through & tops a bit brown, they rise a little like mini souffle's but fall a bit after they come out of the oven. If needed I put the broiler on for the last 1-2 minutes to give 'em a nice browned top.

Once cooled these lift out easily with a small spatula. Because I only used 4 whole eggs for 12 "muffins", there's only 1/3 of an egg yolk in each one, but plenty of egg whites for the protein. This is a great alternative if you are keeping your egg yolk consumption down or watching cholesterol.

You can change the "filling" to suit your tastes - I use whatever leftover cooked veggies I have on hand... I've used green beans, bok choy, whatever's in my fridge that needs to be used!

I put the above recipe into my MFP database - they came out to 98 calories per muffin!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Ice
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Oh, this wasn't an argument, it was a statement. My first post had my stance on timing, what works for you (the op) doesn't work for me. I of the mindset that it’s more important to listen to your body’s needs than some prescribed time stamp. If I go to long without eating I get the shakes, no matter how I mix and match my macros, so for me the key is frequency. Even as far as what we eat is personal, I’m gluten and soy free do to intolerances and I’ve had great results with it, but an equal person without the allergy issues wouldn’t. That being said, I’m not running around saying that the only correct way for someone to lose weight is to follow my food and exercise regimen. The longer I’m on here the more I realize that blanket statements are can be dangerous potholes.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    i'm a mess, i haven't eaten since 10pm last night, so i ate after 8pm and i had some cho, i could feel it turning right to fat, then i skipped breakfast this morning and i think my muscles are atrophying away as we speak
  • Q9S7
    Q9S7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Okay okay, you got me there. So sorry to have infringed upon everyones consitutional rights.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options

The National Institutes of Health doesn't just make crap up for the heck of it. All they do is research and studies. When you get 50 people into one room and half of them do one thing, and half of them do something different, and all the data is recorded....what are these people just liars or fakes?

Not all of the government are full of crooks people lol.

I'm not saying anyone makes up crack just for the heck of it. All I'm saying is that not every single research study is going to produce results that have internal and external validity and reliability. Confounding variables can also weigh heavily on the outcome of a study. Even double blind well controlled studies can have unintentionally skewed results. There are many things that go into a study that can effect the results of it. Describing and defining each one of those thing would take a long time, I would recommend studying research methods to become more familiar with them.
  • FitForeverAgain
    FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I can also guarantee you I will outperform you in any phsyical activity in that same stretch - yes, any. Again, lock me in a closet, and I'll lose weight...but I won't be fit. Speed work, strength work, endurance work - you name it. Also, if I simply went for PR's or against my historical data, when do you think I would perform better?

Again, if WEIGHT LOSS is your goal, sure this will work (just like the genius closet locking concept). But if your goal is to be fit, energetic and perform - then this is silly.