Replies

• Teddyaderwich
    Teddyaderwich Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    What no breakfast in bed...! Not on your nelly
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You can find information to prove that this works, not just blogs but actually studies. You can also find information to prove that breakfast is essential, that milk with dinner creates results, that eating only twinkles can allow you to lose weight. Just do what you want and feels good for you and everything will work out. The only rule is stop telling people your way is THE way.

Here here! Do what works for you. As long as it is not detrimental to your health. not some kind of short cut and something you can stick with, do what works!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    For years I never ate breakfast, sometimes not lunch and would start to eat at around 3 or 4, but unlike you I put on 70lbs, so its not a one size fits all approach to weight loss I would say. Since forcing myself to eat breakfast, I am now hungry in the morning and need to eat, but I have also started losing the excess pounds.

You think the not eating breakfast was responsible for the weight gain? And eating it was responsible for the recent loss?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast and lunch and I look better than you therefore I'll stick to my way Thanks.

Sorry but this is an ignorant statement.

ha ha ha ohh man!

wow harsh much?!?!! damnn

What exactly was harsh?
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Also, almost 4 pages of replies in 16 minutes...wow...
  • jezzi16
    jezzi16 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Yeah when you eat what has no bearing on weight loss. You still ate so many calories that day and you still burned that many calories that day.

I workout at night normally so I probably would need breakfast if did AM workouts
  • elysecea
    elysecea Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I strongly disagree with you !!! Do you know that from my own personal experience that if you do not eat enough carbs for breakfast to give you energy for workouts, your body will use your protein for energy? The whole point is to build muscle to burn more calories. If your body is burning your protein you are eating instead of the carbs ( which are your energy suppliers). That will hinder your muscle building. Eating all of your calories at once not such a good thing...I dont understand how you have energy to go about your day. I see you have lost weight and that is awesome! You need to think long term and breakfast in my book is a must! I do high intensity cardio and If i did not eat breakfast I would never have the energy to do what I do, but hey if that works for you then by all means carry-on!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    There have been NUMEROUS studies on the effects of eating breakfast and weight loss.

Pretty much all of them say, statistically, you are much more likely to eat healthier choices and less calories if you eat breakfast.

Is in necessary? Probably not. If you are a 100% dedicated, self driven person that never gives into their urges you might beat the statistics. But recommending it to the masses who WON'T beat the statistics doesn't help them.

The average person should eat breakfast. Period.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    For years I never ate breakfast, sometimes not lunch and would start to eat at around 3 or 4, but unlike you I put on 70lbs, so its not a one size fits all approach to weight loss I would say. Since forcing myself to eat breakfast, I am now hungry in the morning and need to eat, but I have also started losing the excess pounds.

You think the not eating breakfast was responsible for the weight gain? And eating it was responsible for the recent loss?

Nope, they didn't say it was the reason she gained weight, they said it wasn't something that worked for them and that "its not a one size fits all approach" as the original poster put it out there as.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I disagree with you based on no research at all and yet will call your theory stupid and go on to tell you what I do anyway.
  • FitForeverAgain
    FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast and lunch and I look better than you therefore I'll stick to my way Thanks.

And you don't think this is: "Breakfast is not required. It's Calories in vs Calories out. Again, meal timing is irrelevant."

So, I think I'll eat my weekends worth of food right now...then eat nothing until Monday. According to you, this works, right? I should be fueled and primed for my 6 mile tempo run this afternoon, my push day at the gym tomorrow and my 14 mile run on Sunday - right? No, our bodies are NOT efficient storers of energy.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I disagree with you based on no research at all and yet will call your theory stupid and go on to tell you what I do anyway.

:laugh:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I strongly disagree with you !!! Do you know that from my own personal experience that if you do not eat enough carbs for breakfast to give you energy for workouts, your body will use your protein for energy? The whole point is to build muscle to burn more calories. If your body is burning your protein you are eating instead of the carbs ( which are your energy suppliers). That will hinder your muscle building. Eating all of your calories at once not such a good thing...I dont understand how you have energy to go about your day. I see you have lost weight and that is awesome! You need to think long term and breakfast in my book is a must! I do high intensity cardio and If i did not eat breakfast I would never have the energy to do what I do, but hey if that works for you then by all means carry-on!

so the body doesn't use fat for energy?
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    Options

I am saying that eating regular meals has helped me get a grip on my problems with food. I am not saying that the method does not work, just not for me
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    There have been NUMEROUS studies on the effects of eating breakfast and weight loss.

Pretty much all of them say, statistically, you are much more likely to eat healthier choices and less calories if you eat breakfast.

Is in necessary? Probably not. If you are a 100% dedicated, self driven person that never gives into their urges you might beat the statistics. But recommending it to the masses who WON'T beat the statistics doesn't help them.

The average person should eat breakfast. Period.

The OP is simply stating that it isnt required to eat breakfast to lose weight nor be healthy.

And actually Martin Berkhan has proven studies that have showed more people have lost weight by skipping breakfast and eating higher carbs at night.
  • FitForeverAgain
    FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
    Options

so the body doesn't use fat for energy?

Very inefficiently. Otherwise, we could simply starve for a week and our bf% would drop quickly. Once glycogen stores are depeleted, your body is MUCH better at burning lean mass as fuel rather than fat, especially in an anaerobic state.
  • jezzi16
    jezzi16 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I strongly disagree with you !!! Do you know that from my own personal experience that if you do not eat enough carbs for breakfast to give you energy for workouts, your body will use your protein for energy?
    Unless you workout at night. Then AM carbs really don't matter
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

And you don't think this is: "Breakfast is not required. It's Calories in vs Calories out. Again, meal timing is irrelevant."

So, I think I'll eat my weekends worth of food right now...then eat nothing until Monday. According to you, this works, right? I should be fueled and primed for my 6 mile tempo run this afternoon, my push day at the gym tomorrow and my 14 mile run on Sunday - right? No, our bodies are NOT efficient storers of energy.

you are using extremes, significant metabolic slow down occurs somewhere in the 48hr+ range of complete fasting. not eating for 8-10-16 hrs isn't going to be unhealthy
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I read it as "blah blah blah.... magic formula.. blah blah blah...."

No thanks.

This ^^^ Amen.
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Disagree big time. Your body is starving after at least eight hours of sleep. Why would you want to skip anyway.