Replies

• CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    No thanks, a growling tummy does not make racetoplace happy. :(
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    The only way I would be willing to give up breakfast (& lunch!?) is if I had the luxury of sleeping until 2:00. Nope, not gonna happen.

what she said!
  • ninkdole
    ninkdole Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm glad it works for you, but there is no way I could go without breakfast. I look forward to my bowl of oatmeal every morning. :smile:
  • punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i usually wake up hungry, and i'm a total ***** when i'm hungry (and, thankfully, ONLY when i'm hungry!), so i think it's in the best interest of those who have to deal with me that i continue to eat breakfast!

Me too sister!
  • FitForeverAgain
    FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I would also say you could lose weight by locking yourself in a room with no food for a month - but it won't be healthy. There are many ways to lose weight, but that is not our overarching goal here. The overarching goal is become fit. This isn't myweightlosspal.com. Fit is a long-term commitment to eating correctly, and building lean mass while decreasing (or in some rare cases) increasing body fat to a healthy level. Out of all that, the key is LONG-TERM. Our bodies are not meant to build up a full days store of immediate energy needs. There's a reason we get hungry regularly, because we need doses of calories to burn throughout the day. If your theory stood, we could simply eat once a week and be done with it until next Monday!

Back the LONG-TERM concept. Do you see yourself eating one meal for the rest of your life? If you do not, then it is a diet plan, and not a lifestyle change. Simply put, this concept is unworkable, unhealthy, and unmanageable. It is misguided, and one more silly diet scheme to sell a book, or a website, or a ThighMaster. Be sensible, eat right, workout hard, and you will get results.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    in terms of weight loss it doesn't really make a difference if you eat breakfast or not
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Some mod please lock this thread for reasons of "bull **** information from some weirdo's blog"
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I read it as "blah blah blah.... magic formula.. blah blah blah...."

No thanks.

Agreed
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Fail Troll.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the article (sorry) but there have been a number of scientific studies that show the importance of eating breakfast. But, even so, I don't have more than a glass of soy milk most days because I'm just not hungry and for the next 8 - 10 hours I'm just going to be sitting on my *kitten* and won't need much energy for that.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    i usually wake up hungry, and i'm a total ***** when i'm hungry (and, thankfully, ONLY when i'm hungry!), so i think it's in the best interest of those who have to deal with me that i continue to eat breakfast!

Me too, you don't want to meet me in a dark street when I'm hungry . . . I'll either rip off your head or eat your arm. This is your personal experience, my personal experience is that I eat all day long and the pounds just melted off, and I mean from 6:30 AM to 10 PM or later. The only thing we have in common is that we (generally) stick to our calorie goals . . . so that's the uniting factor. It's not about time, it's about quality and quantity.
  • MrsFarrow
    MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I read it as "blah blah blah.... magic formula.. blah blah blah...."

No thanks.

Agreed

Third monkey.

I'll skip breakfast and go take some Hydroxycut. Maybe then I'll look like Kim Kardashian.
  • DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My first thought is.. would this be something you teach your kids.. if you have them? I wake up hungry.. I believe in fueling a hungry body. I'm not bashing you if it works for you, but I think this whole thing is a lifestyle.. and not eating breakfast isn't a lifestyle I want my kids learning or practicing.

But... This is from a mom's POV. I want to be an example for my kids.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    The OP is 110% spot on accurate.

Breakfast is not required. It's Calories in vs Calories out. Again, meal timing is irrelevant.

Intermittent Fasting is the real deal. http://www.leangains.com
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I would also say you could lose weight by locking yourself in a room with no food for a month - but it won't be healthy. There are many ways to lose weight, but that is not our overarching goal here. The overarching goal is become fit. This isn't myweightlosspal.com. Fit is a long-term commitment to eating correctly, and building lean mass while decreasing (or in some rare cases) increasing body fat to a healthy level. Out of all that, the key is LONG-TERM. Our bodies are not meant to build up a full days store of immediate energy needs. There's a reason we get hungry regularly, because we need doses of calories to burn throughout the day. If your theory stood, we could simply eat once a week and be done with it until next Monday!

Back the LONG-TERM concept. Do you see yourself eating one meal for the rest of your life? If you do not, then it is a diet plan, and not a lifestyle change. Simply put, this concept is unworkable, unhealthy, and unmanageable. It is misguided, and one more silly diet scheme to sell a book, or a website, or a ThighMaster. Be sensible, eat right, workout hard, and you will get results.

please explain how not eating breakfast is unhealthy?
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast and lunch and I look better than you therefore I'll stick to my way Thanks.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Some mod please lock this thread for reasons of "bull **** information from some weirdo's blog"

If they started locking threads based on nonsense misinformation from blogs, I think at least a third of all threads would be locked.
  • lamore13
    Options
    I totally disagree with you. I am a big breakfast person and I do agree to the fact that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Sounds to me you are just fasting and fasting is not healthy at all.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I disagree, if I dont eat breakfast then I tend to eat way more during the day, and they usually are not good options Im eating.

If you eat more during the day, then that's because you choose to.

All breakfast does is make it less likely you'll pick bad snacks later on. If you don't pick bad snacks, then to me breakfast is just wasted calories i could have when i actually wanted them.

http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/is-skipping-breakfast-bad-for-you.aspx
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Ok, have I got your attention now? For a long time we've been fed the idea that breakfast is important. In fact, people call it the most important meal of the day (mostly cereal companies. . .jk). I started to learn about a year ago that this wasn't true. The more I researched and read, the more I realised that we were getting bad info. I started skipping breakfast and even lunch, not eating until I got off work around 3, and I started losing weight on demand and felt great once I got used to it. There are programs that make use of this idea, such as intermittent fasting, which I've used with success.

I posted another article from this author the other day, but I just found this one and again feel the need to let everyone else read this. I believe strongly in the things this author believes in and they have all worked for me. Yes, he does have programs he's designed, but I'm not trying to sell anything. I just want everyone to have this information.

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/nutrition/logic-does-not-apply-part-2-breakfast/

I have to disagree as well... at least in my own experience. I used to be one of those people who skipped breakfast and lunch. I was tired all the time and gained weight. Once I changed it up to having a large breakfast and light lunch (no more skipping meals), I lost almost 10 pounds in 3 short weeks (without exercise). Intermittent fasting is one thing. Skipping meals entirely... that's a different story.