Oct. Challenge Week 1 Open!

Options
O.K. This is our week 1 open challenge. It is open all month long for anyone looking to join...

To join: message me so I can add you to the spread sheet.

I'll post next weeks thread on this thread so we all can find it easier.

Weigh in: Weigh in day is Friday. Message me your weigh in and measurements if you measure. If you weigh another day of the week, you can keep your weigh day, just message me.

Here's the link for the spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqxTXEpIQxabdGR1U05jNGVkMTBLTi1kWmFvZk9RWEE&hl=en_US#gid=0

If you already joined, and don't see your name on the sheet let me know!

Any ideas for challenges are so very welcome! This is a group effort, so feel free to suggest anything you want to do or see!

Jenn

Replies

• jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    October 1st to October 7th:
    1. Log your food
    2. Drink 8 glasses of water a day, plain water.
    3. 60 full minutes of exercise, Cardio exercise.
    4. 30 minutes of strength training.
    5. Get out of your comfort zone.
    6. Bonus: See how many days you can go without your food vice, such as candy, pop, carbs… something you really have a hard time giving up or eating in moderation. :smile: Let us know the results!

We need to get back to the basics. Logging and drinking. So this week TRY your hardest to drink all 8 glasses of water. Log everything you eat. Every stinking bite of food. If you really don’t want to log it then don’t eat it. I know for me, I have slacked off on logging and gotten busy so not doing the drinking. I think that this is why I haven’t lost in weeks.
    I know 60 minutes seems like a small amount, but if you are busy or just getting started, 60 minutes seems like a long time. You can break it up in 15 minute times 4 days a week.

Strength training can be anything from squats to calf raises or even some gym equipment lifting. I’m not good at names of exercises, sorry.

Comfort zone: Trade in those old baggy jeans for ones you aren’t sure fit. Maybe they do?! If you never wear makeup, try it. If you are like me, and never ever fix your hair, try a new do. (I wear a surgical hat all day at work, so ponytail is my everyday look). Smile more. Say hi to people as they walk past you, talk to your cashier at the store. Do something different, and enjoy it! Boost your confidence! You deserve it!

Water TIP: Buy a 1 liter water bottle. Drink 2 per day. You can reuse it or there are 2 liter plastic bottles at the dollar store. At first I bought a 1 liter water bottle and drank 2, then I found a reusable 2 liter bottle and I fill it up the night before and pour into a glass of ice during the day. MUCH easier to count 8 glasses this way.

Exercise tip: if you have stairs in your home, try going up and down over and over. After a few times it gets harder. No equipment needed! Step up and down 1 step while you watch t.v. Rent a work out DVD and try it before you spend your hard earned money on it, only to find out you hate it.

Logging tip: if you don’t have a smart phone, try logging your food the night before. If you pack your lunch for work log it before you go so you know where you stand. People at my work always bring in food to share, have your own snacks on hand, so you don’t have to guess what you are eating.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    This looks like a great start! I've always wanted to get involved in some sort of challenge group through MFP :D
  • jcarmel
    Options
    I agree, I've been wanting to do a challenge but wasn't really sure how! Looking forward to it!
  • Pam37841
    Options
    Hi, I would like to join please. I will post my measurements and weight on Saturday. My man has been stationed away from home and I am picking him up in 84 days! I need all the help I can get!
  • Emwalker3406
    Emwalker3406 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I am really looking forward to this to keep me moving forward.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Sounds good I can post my weight and measurements on Tuesdays
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Imma do it!! ;) 60 min of exercise freaks me out a bit...but that will be my "comfort zone" for the first week!! :) I am tooo excited! Tricking the Scale and Tossing the Treats! HAHA!!
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    Welcome! You all have been added!
  • cwyatt1119
    Options
    I just joined MFP today and this challenge is right on time! I'm doing it! I need to lose 41lbs and i'm excited to do it with other folks! I will weigh in on Fridays....now i gotta buy a scale...scary!!!
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    Pam... What branch is he in? Congrats that he gets to come home!

Jake, do you want to message me your stats from last tuesday for the start week?

mama! You can do it! I like the tricking the scale! Too funny! You can do 10 here and 10 min there. 10 min a day for 6 days... very doable! right???
  • mkaluzny
    mkaluzny Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I am in. I will get you my weights and measurements on Monday. I have just completed team challenges for August and September. Many of the members fizzled out by the end of the month, leaving me feeling disappointed. Maybe an individual challenge series will be for me. I am currently at my goal weight and am looking for exercises and challenges to keep me motivated. This sounds like the place for me right now.
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    O.K. I moved the measurements section to page 2. Bottom of the spreadsheet left side. Makes it easier to see.
  • nightbird1103
    nightbird1103 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I'm looking forward to the October challenge. I put on about 15 lbs being home with the kids this summer and need to knock it off-- and then get to my goal!! I started back in 2008 at 211. My lowest to date was 155 in 9/10 and I'm back up to 175 :( Didn't really do anything but eat this summer.

SW: 175
    Oct Challenge Goal: 167

Look forward to getting to know all of you!

Michele
  • Akemy_M
    Options
    I Loved the week challenges!!! I already do some of these, but I hope to manage to do the Bonus one: during the weekends is kind of hard not drinking while going out with my friends.
  • FitasBarbie
    FitasBarbie Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Jen my SW is 152lbs for this challenge as of my weigh in yesterday. I already have the water bottle mine is 1.2 liters and I can drink up to 3 bottles a day. I'll try my best to lower my carbs as much as possible for week 1 as carbs is my weakness. I'm doing the 30 day shred so it counts as strength and cardio right? Great challenge Jen! Looking forward to this weeks loss! Good luck everyone :wink:
  • jellybean1971
    jellybean1971 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jen for starting this.
  • 1RareJewel
    1RareJewel Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • BethanyCee
    Options
    I've been feeling really frustrated and stuck lately, I think a challenge is just what I need to kickstart me back into good habits!
  • radcamacho
    Options
    Jen my SW is 150 for this challenge as of my weekly weigh-in yesterday. I haven't been great about drinking the water but I am getting back into it. I already run for an hour and 15 everyday so the cardio won't be too hard. However, the strength training will be! But I guess that will be me stepping out of my comfort zone! I'm really excited, this is my first challenge!
  • sninny
    sninny Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My start weight is 216 and I am going to see how long I can go without sugar and baked goods, especially cookies. It will be extra difficult since I'm visiting family this weekend and my mom loves to bake!