OCTOBER CHALLENGE *aggiecass09 and friends* CLOSED GROUP

Options

Replies

• thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I have pretty much one primary motivator, and that is this: the motivation to constantly best myself. Every time I run further/faster, lift more, write more/better, learn more, read more, drive more, etc. I feel awesome. I am a big believer in proactive self-improvement -- there is always something about ourselves that we can be striving to better, and I like to always be working towards bettering myself.

Self-absorbed? Yeah, a bit. I sort of wish I could say that my family/friends motivate me. In a way, they do. But mostly, competition motivates me. And I think that the best competition is when you're competing with yourself.
  • aprylkemper
    aprylkemper Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    What motivates me is that I am constantly in competition with myself and constantly trying to prove to myself that I can do better than I ever thought possible.
    I am also motivated by the goal of becoming a personal trainer, knowing that I want to be a motivation and example to other people is a huge motivation.
    I also have a GoWearFit that I wear and plug in to show me the calories I've burned throughout the day. This is a huge motivation for me because when I think about slowing down or stopping I ask myself 'what do you want that to say? Do you want to be disappointed when you see that graph of calories burned?' with the answer being no, it always helps me push a little harder.

I'm also motivated by reading/watching motivational messages and I remember that I constantly have to seek that out in order to keep it front and center in my life.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Week 1 Goals (10/3-10/9): to follow workout schedule, water, menu plan and get 7+hrs of sleep

Plan to achieve: put workouts on calendar so I KNOW I will get them done, bring ice cup to work to refill with water daily,
    go to bed when my reminder goes off, pre-log as many meals as I can

UPDATE:
    I met my goals for the most part - i need to work harder on getting to bed so i get the 7hrs but i also need to make sure i get my waters in on the weekends...that is a struggle for me for some reason....

My Motivation
    I want to be the person I have always wanted to be. I want to be an active mom that is around for my kids and their kids and maybe even their kids. Having a healthy lifestyle will ensure that happens for me.
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My motivation:
    Since I first read the calendar, I have been asking myself, “What motivates you?” I still don’t think I have come up with an answer, but here is a list of things that I always go back to when I feel like giving up:
    1. Bucee. I want to be healthy and active for my grandson. He is so cute and so loveable.
    2. My health. I don’t want to have to take blood pressure meds and diabetes meds, and blood-thinning meds. I want to maintain my health without drugs.
    3. My husband. He is the sweetest man and he loves every part of my craziness. He even brought my work keys to me today when I left them at home this morning. 
    4. My “best friend”. I put this one is quotation marks because this is what she said to me one evening. “45 pounds is too much weight for you to lose. I don’t know why you want to do it anyway; you will just put it all back on. You are losing it too fast for it to be healthy.” Ticked me off! Don’t say things like that to me because that just pushes me to do what you say I shouldn’t or can’t.
    5. My students. I want the students at my school to realize that it is possible to lose unwanted weight and that you can change the way you eat and the way you think about eating. I hope that they see me out at the track walking or working out and are motivated to improve their own health.
    I guess this is it. I also think that the more weight I lose, the better I look, and the better I feel motivate me to keep going
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm my motivation

1) The confidence and power I feel when I know I am fit and strong and rocking it
    2) An active lifestyle - I am no good at sitting still, I like to run, climb, play and explore so being fit and healthy helps me live the way I want
    3) Clothes, I love them, and I love shopping for them, and I like to look cute in them!
    4) The Challenge, I am highly competitive and ambitious, I love goals and love kicking their *kitten*
    5) My long term health. I feel sad and scared when I see people in bodies that are breaking down around them and want to look after mine so it looks after me "it's the greatest instrument you'll ever own"
  • kiwikara
    kiwikara Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My motivation:

1. My brothers life was robbed from him and I don't want to take advantage of the life and body I got to keep. My health is very important to me and is not something I should ever take for granted.
    2. My boyfriend and I plan to have a large family. I need to be healthy and fit so I can take care of them as well as set a good example. I want to get in to this habit before I have them.
    3. I want to fit comfortably in to jeans and tight clothing. Knowing how powerful and sexy I felt in clothing I no longer dare to wear motivates me to lose those last pounds so I can gain that confidence.
    4. I am a dancer. Being able to do all the dance moves, leaps, turns and falls with perfect ease and grace was something I was wonderful at. I want the energy and body back that allowed me to be a great dancer.
    5. My bikini taunts me. I managed to not wear it once the entire summer of 2011.
  • emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Motivation... some days, it's merely that I am bored/A.D.D. and want a change of scenery! Here are some other reasons:

*My biggest motivator... family. My extended family b/c of the SEVERAL health problems they've experienced (all preventable) that I want to avoid, and hopefully rub-off some good habits on them! My daughter b/c I want her to grow-up seeing me happy with my body so she's got a good self-image and knows how important being healthy from the get-go is.
    *Clothing... not that I can afford the good stuff, but I am in LOVE with fashion of all sorts, and love being able to just walk into a store knowing I can grab a 10 and it will fit. Although I'm hoping those 10's will be baggy by the end of this challenge ;)
    *Because I can, and many others cannot. Actually, AggieCass posted something about this just a couple weeks ago, and it's been stuck in my head ever since--thanks, Miss Cass :flowerforyou: So when I'm feeling REALLY lazy, I remind myself that someone, maybe even just down the road, has no legs due to some horrible accident and misses the feeling of merely standing. I am so lucky to walk or run and not even give it a second thought... so I give it a second and third and fourth thought, etc. and get off my *kitten*!
    *The Warm Fuzzies... you know, that feeling you get when you've just finished your workout and realize you ROCK?! Or how your body loves you back when you give it all the good stuff it needs and walk away from the ginormous slice of office birthday cake?! It's a pretty addictive "drug" :happy:
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    What motivates me:

the feeling of accomplishing my goals
    looking back at how far i've come
    knowing i CAN do whatever i put my mind to accomplishing
  • punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Things that motivate me:
    Mine are more internal. I really want to improve my self/body image. I want to feel good about who I am and do what I want to do and what I know I can do.
    I also want to be able to do more physically, like hiking, and playing competivie rugby in the spring -> things I used to do. Basically, I want to be the best that I know I CAN be!
  • candykay89
    candykay89 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    What motivates me

Knowing that i have the power to do whatever i say i am going to do is an amazing thing.
    My MFP friends who are so giving of their time and their honesty.
    Being on this plan and sticking to it. Proving that i am in control of the situation and not the situation in control of me.
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    What motivates me? Here are just a few things

1. My Life Partner. I want to be the best I can be for her, for as long as I can.
    2. My MFP friends. You guys rock the house and while many of them see me as motivational, it's like priming a pump. You motivate me to help me get better, my success motivates you, which motivates me, which motivates you...
    3. Looking and feeling healtheir.
    4. Fitting into smaller clothing
    5. My desire to be more active and to travel motivates me to keep going
    6. Getting compliments especially from unexpected places
    7. Getting out of my comfort zone and doing things I neve thought possible
    8. My personal drive to always be the best me possible
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Sorry Cass, I dont have internet acces until Monday. I'm using my phone and I cant get on our spread sheet. Please dont remove me. :flowerforyou:

My biggest motivator right now is fitting in my weddingdress by March when it is due to come in.

My long term motivator is I want to always be healthy and not go down the path that my family has gone down.

And all joking aside I'd like to be considered a MILF when the time comes. I've always been known as JJ's chubby "young" step mom. I want to be a hot mom, so I can embarrass my future children. :laugh:
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I wanted to share a recipe with all of you! This is my partner's and my favorite meal. It's seriously delicious, and super-duper easy (especially once you get used to it). I do recommend trying to find a low-sodium salsa if you can, or being amazing and making it on your own. It will ease up on the sodium a lot. The stats here, however, are for a regular store-bought salsa.

For 2 large servings, or 3 smaller portions

Easy Enchiladas Verde!

8 oz. ground turkey (I use 93/7)
    1 cup 2% Mexican shredded cheese
    1 jar tomatillo salsa
    8 yellow corn tortillas
    (Seriously -- that's it!)

Cooking time: 20 minutes (if you can do multiple things at once)

Preheat oven to 350. Brown turkey in pan. While turkey is browning, pour half of salsa into saucepot and heat on medium. Once salsa is hot, add in 3/4 cup of cheese. Stir until cheese melted, then reduce heat to low to keep gooey consistency.
    In small pan, heat corn tortillas one at a time over medium-high heat. Heat each side for 15-30 seconds. The tortillas will become soft and flexible. As you remove each tortilla, fill immediately with turkey and cheese/salsa mixture (try not to overfill -- you should have just enough for eight tortillas). Roll the tortillas and place seam down in round 9-in baking pan. Once you are done rolling all of the individual enchiladas, sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup of cheese over them and then add the rest of the jar of salsa.

Bake for 10-15 minutes. (To make these even softer, heat the additional salsa on stove top before pouring over enchiladas!)

Enjoy :)

For 2 servings:
    Cals -585
    Carbs - 53
    Protein - 39
    Fat - 20
    Sugar - 11
    Sodium - 2135 (sorry, store-bought salsa'll do that)

For 3 servings:
    Cals - 390
    Carbs - 35
    Protein - 26
    Fat - 13
    Sugar - 8
    Sodium - 1423
  • shannonaufman
    Options
    It just occurred to me that I forgot to talk about what motivates me. I guess my motivation is similar to everyone else's. I want to look good, feel good and be proud of my health, fitness and body. I am also motivated by the fear of what happens if I don't take care of myself. I am petrified of becoming an obese or very overweight adult. I hope to have children eventually, and I want to have good nutrition habits and a healthy lifestyle before they come along.

Sometimes I think I need to find some 'flashier' motivation. Like, a vacation that I want to wear a bikini on or a marathon I want to run or something like that... but I'm lacking that right now. That might be the source of my struggles lately, so I'm trying to figure something out! :smile:
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    there are only 29 "active" people in our challenge...down from the 60 who initially signed up :( sad day...

anyhoo, those of you who are posting and participating i LOVE! I just caught up on all of the posts and YALL are my motivation! Wow!

Have a fabulous friday
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i'll update my counts on monday....i need to get the plank and lunge challenges caught up...that is the one thing i just cant "get" to....
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Per Tim, my awesome physical therapist this is what I am to do daily.
    I know It doesnt fit the challenge 100% but its what I'm allowed to do:

squats but with the least resistance. I dont have the mobility yet to go all the way down. I do 3 sets of 12 reps. 3 times a day.
    bridging 3 sets of 12 regular with feet together and arms on my chest.
    3 sets of one legged bridging with 5lb weight on my ab area and arms on my chest.
    stationary bike 15 minutes. Once in the beginning once at the end.
    single leg presses without weight until I fatigue.
    calf raises on an incline

Then stretching.

This weekend I'll be taking advantage of an indoor pool to swim laps. The first time in a pool in over 6 years!
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    My motivation:

1. My nephews and nieces
    2. My future plans to get married and have kids... when I find the one!
    3. My family after I started to lose weight -- their words really help me a lot!!!
    4. My old clothes that I missed wearing!!!!!
    5. Early deaths occurring in my family.... I do not want to be an early death because of my weight.

So sorry that I posted this late... This was a BAD week for me :(
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    This week I am going to try to up my water intake from 8 cups to 9 cups!! I did NOT drink enough water this past week and I REGRET IT so I'm kind of going to make up for it this week! :) Also... I am going to try to do better with my exercising -- aiming for 4 out of 7 days! I may try to do it tomorrow during the day as long as I can get stuff printed off for my class in the PM with time to spare for a hour work out! :) I am really tempted to see my weight, but I am still holding off until October 31st and I am excited and I wonder what the results will be. I found that when I check weight everyday, I am more aware of what I am doing and how it affects my weight, so this is definitely a challenge for me not being able to check weight, but I know it will be worth it at the end! :)
  • MOOOSEEE3
    MOOOSEEE3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Well, let's just say I'm glad last week is in the books. It was a suckful week for me. I ate, but didn't log, I drank my water, but just didn't reach my goal of 20 cups a day. I did the challenges minus 1 day and I slept at least 8 hours a night. Even though the week was suckful, I did however end it with a bang.

I ran 10.17 miles in a row and only walked for the warmup of 3 minutes. Prior to this I had only run 7.5 miles. Can you say insane? But I did it, and I finished, and I finished strong. Glad it's a new week, I'm ready to shoot for the stars and meet all goals this week.

What are you going to do?