WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER

Options

Replies

• RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the well-wishes. Just had a message from my doctor that my thyroid dosage must be increased. Blood test pointed that levels are out of whack. This may explain some symptoms I've been having. Fortunately, blood tests are pretty accurate. Only thing is that it will take a while to level out again.

Good night!!
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Oy, can't believe I missed a few days. Trying to catch up with classes and learning some programming on the side. It's for an AI class but will probably come in handy once I get serious about my research.

It's been a good week, only one day over on my calorie goal thanks to it being a beer gathering at my house. I did fall into a bowl of ice cream this morning but made up the calories on the elliptical trainer this afternoon so its all good. WI is tomorrow and fingers are crossed for a good result. Hubby says my butt looks smaller :huh:, isn't he romantic, but hopefully that's a good sign. I don't feel like I lost anything, nothing feels much looser, but we shall see.

Cynthia
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    I did fall into a bowl of ice cream this morning

Cynthia

Now that sounds like heaven to me... I am an ice cream addict!!!!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Rita - you're not the only one who missed yesterday because things were hectic. I did, too. Did an hour of hula hoop on the Wii yesterday (Sun), plan to take the extremepump class today. What is the difference between a kettlebell and using a dumbbell?

barbie - I've read most of Michael Pollan's books and think he's on the right track. Hardest part is, most others don't.

Lisa - yes, Food, Inc. is a very good movie. Really makes you think twice.

Cathy - you MUST be losing weight just from worrying, I know I would. That is...when I wasn't stress eating.....lol I certainly hope and pray for your son. Even if he doesn't get home by Christmas but the day or two after that, at least he'll be home.

Rebel - feel better fast!

Quilter - the other quote I like is "if you want to make God laugh, make a plan"

Welcome Mary! I'm looking forward to getting to know YOU

Vince's friend called and said that he'd be here today. Not sure what time, tho. I made some of these lemon bars because I know that he likes lemon bars. I'm not at all crazy about the ones you get in the box (Krusteas?) but these are quite good.

Still getting ready for the social. I'd forgotten how much work it is!

I tried this "Tofutti" pizza. Only 180 calories per decent size slice. I was afraid that it wouldn't be all that good...but it IS. I would certainly consider buying it again.

Well, Vince's friend came here last night. Went over on my calories, but only by about 150. I know that he likes lemon bars so I made him some from scratch and then made him another batch to take back. He wasn't sure what time he was going to leave when he got here, but he and Jessica talked and decided to meet for dinner, so he's thinking now that he'll leave around 9:30. There is a Newcomers board meeting, so I originally wasn't going to go but I just may be able to. We shall see. Then want to come home and work on the Halloween decorations. Not sure when I'll be able to get exercise in, I'm certainly going to try, maybe before dinner.

I went practice bowling yesterday. Earlier Bryan called and Vince told him that I would be home around noon. So I ran home, Bryan didn't call so I went practice bowling. When I got home, you should have seen the look I got from Vince! "Bryan called". I only bowled 3 games, did it by myself so it only took about an hour. It seems Bryan was sleeping. Sometimes he doesn't call when he says he will so that's why I went. Bowled a really lousey game first -- a 68. Then a 114, but then a 120, so at least that one was sort-of decent. Got home and called Bryan, asked him to call me back since him calling the US is free. Nothing really new there. He said he'd call around 10 our time on Thurs.

Amanda - so glad you kept with the swimming! It's such good exercise! I'm so very proud of you. I didn't swim, took lessons, now even tho I'm still uncomfortable in the deep end, I can do it if I must, so I know what an accomplishment you achieved!

Cathy - congrats!

Faye - why defrost the freezer???? I vote heartily for a soak in the jacuzzi

Took out my digital camera. Last time I used it was in June. Before that in January. But it says that I have a full charge! I'm going to try to take lots of pics at the social, mainly to document who all was here and things like which tables/chairs, etc. did we have for the next time we have a social. That's what we did this time, looked at the pics of our last social so now wwe know that we have a few more tables and we borrowed a few tables. I would really have thought that if someone had a card table, they'd naturally have chairs, but that wasn't the case, so I borrowed some chairs from one lady.

Hey there, Kathie. So glad to have you! Your goals sound very doable. I like the fact that it isn't a whole lot at once so you won't get discouraged. Fantastic!

I'm thinking that I'll make eggs for Steve (Vince's friend). I'll take out our toaster so he can have toast if he wants it. So better get on the breakfast stick. Have a great day everyone! (I missed seeing DWTS last night, but I TiVo'd it so I'll watch it. So sad Carson Presley is gone, he wasn't a good dancer but he was a hoot)

Michele
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    GOOD MORNING!

Kathie: Welcome! So glad to have you here. I think you will find great support, friendship and inspiration from all the ladies on this site. We look forward to getting to know you!

Robin: You are right... We had a long road moving all over the world way too often over the years, but we now get to spend our time in some lovely spots doing some very nice things, so I am very fortunate and I don't ever take it for granted. You just never know what life will hand you, so you have to enjoy wherever you are at the moment!

Faye: Good to hear from you. Love the darling photo! I am assuming this is darling grandchild? How old? Where does (he) live?
    I am missing our DGD. Wish she was closer.

Lisa & Cynthia: I too am an ice cream addict...so I CANNOT have it in the house. But I am laughing at your turn of phrase. That does sound delightful!

Rebel: So glad your Doctor is getting your thyroid under control. Hope it gets settled and you are feeling more like yourself soon!

Another beautiful day here and I have LOTS of garden work to get done! Brocolli in the ground but still too many weeds. Everyone have a nice day. :heart: Kackie
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    @cathy ...congrats on grandbaby

welcome newcomers

weighed in yesterday and have a 1lb gain(i will give myself 1 week and then update my ticker)...i am slightly surprised as i was very active, but again its not so much being active as what goes in your month....i am still a bit sluggish, yesterday i was able to do a couple hours(cardio and weights, though no spinning)...today i will spin dont want to push to hard, since i dont feel 100%....have a lovely day all:flowerforyou:
  • Kebatyza
    Options
    Keba here. I am 54 years old and this is the second time I have engaged in a 90+ pounds goal. For me, working 12 hour days and trying to go the gym is hopeless. Any thoughts? Keba
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Another thing I thought of for those with Carpal Tunnel - do you have an orthotic or divided keyboard - they are useful because you aren't bending your wrist to type. THey take just a little while to get used to using them, but then you'll never want to go back to a regular keyboard.

Keba - don't think that you have to lose 90+ you have to lose 1. Then you can think about the next 1. Is it possible for you to include a small walk in your 12 hour working day? You don't say what you do and it may be that you are already on your feet for much of that time. Do you drive and if so can you park a little further away and just have an extra couple of minutes walk, or if you take transit can you walk to the next stop. Just little modifications might help you.

Welcome to the other newbies. This is a great group for help and inspiration.

Off to the repair shop to pick up my dad's watch. It was given to him for 30 years service and it had broken. He bought a new watch rather than getting it repaired. He passed 3 years ago, so I thought I'd see if it was worth getting repaired. Had a call yesterday to say it was ready, so I'm going for a little walk in the sunshine to fetch it. I'm teaching this afternoon so need to get moving.
  • melbasc
    melbasc Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies!! Where have you been all of my (dieting) life?? hahaha....just saying "hi" because I am new to the site and didn't know how to bookmark this topic as a favorite without posting here. Looking forward to much success with a little help from some wonderful new friends!:flowerforyou:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies!! Where have you been all of my (dieting) life?? hahaha....just saying "hi" because I am new to the site and didn't know how to bookmark this topic as a favorite without posting here. Looking forward to much success with a little help from some wonderful new friends!:flowerforyou:

Glad to see you found us! Come back often for support, and let us get to know you!
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    hi all,
    it has been a gorgeous day here. started out pretty cool this morning but right now is perfect. Went for a 12 minute walk....why 12 minutes I don't know. But way better than I have been doing the last few months so I will applaud myself for that.
    Enjoying the day. Drinking water today another way better today than the last few months. Eating is still not what it should be but I am having to use what I have before I can replace it with healthier choices so getting there.
    Have a wonderful afternoon and evening
  • Pam3
    Options
    Keba here. I am 54 years old and this is the second time I have engaged in a 90+ pounds goal. For me, working 12 hour days and trying to go the gym is hopeless. Any thoughts? Keba

hi keba, and welcome....are you able to walk during a lunch or dinner break...maybe wear a pedometer and counts your steps....if its safe park a bit from where you are going.....are you always sitting(desk job)?maybe getting up and walking to the water cooler, taking the stairs.....do you have pets?maybe a short daily walk with them....good luck on your journey:flowerforyou:
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options

Welcome to you and all the new gals.... Keba, mary, kathie, and any others I missed..... I totally agree with your comment.... if only I had had this sort of support 20 years ago!!! :flowerforyou: feel free to send a friend request if you want another friend :)

I just love reading all these posts and feeling involved in everyone's lives in some small way.... no time to reply to all although I'd love to ....

Just got back from my C25K walk/run this morning ..... I'm still amazed that I'm actually doing this.... 3 weeks in .... but the good feeling seems to last for hours afterwards ..... I won't be convinced until I complete the full 9 weeks though.

My big goal I must do for today.... is drink water .... i really struggle with this... sometimes I'm ok and then I just forget.... I've had 2 glasses so far but I aim to have another 8.... gulp.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Have a great day/evening everyone

Lisa :bigsmile:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Welcome all new people.
    Keba,I agree with Pam.Don`t look at the big pic,it can be overwhelming.Baby steps.It`s a lifestyle change .Everything you change to the positive is your road to success.It`s not about how fast you can loose it,it`s what you learn along the way.
    I`ve lost 107 lbs and it has taken me 5 years,not to say it would take you that long.I had 3 surgeries ,health issues etc.that got in the way.You can do it.There`s lots of support here.
    Have a good night all!
    HUGS
    jane
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I to work 12 hr shifts. On my feet most of the 12 hours. But don't move alot . I've gone to walking in place. Listen to music and move to it standing in place. Co-workers use to look at me funny but now they don't even notice. I also clear out a small place in my garage. A few weights , rowing machine, treadmill I walk at a slow slow pace 2 to 2.5 for at least 30 to 60 minutes a day. Every bit helps.
    Joyce
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to convince myself that I wasn't sick, but I gave up today and went to the doctor. I got put on a very strong antibiotic that wreaks havoc with my blood sugar, so they told me to eat very often. I have decided to not log, as it will be too depressing, but will at least stick to healthy foods. I have to take it for 10 days. Oh well, at least I will eat healthy, and what is 10 days compared to the years that I haven't watched what I ate?
  • Pam3
    Options
    I have been trying to convince myself that I wasn't sick, but I gave up today and went to the doctor. I got put on a very strong antibiotic that wreaks havoc with my blood sugar, so they told me to eat very often. I have decided to not log, as it will be too depressing, but will at least stick to healthy foods. I have to take it for 10 days. Oh well, at least I will eat healthy, and what is 10 days compared to the years that I haven't watched what I ate?

feel better....you are right what is 10 days...just try and eat as healthy as you can:flowerforyou:
  • Sweetpea3963
    Sweetpea3963 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa, I know what you mean about drinking the water. I always seem to fall short of the goal. I just don't like the stuff. I actually don't drink much of anything during the day - only a couple of cups of coffee......My dad is the same way and he is 86. My mom is 83 and she keeps a glass of water set out on the counter and takes a drink every time she passes by it. I need to strive toward drinking more water.

I hope all you ladies have a good evening.

Renate
  • topaz2986
    topaz2986 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

It's late...I'm finally settling in for the nite. What a busy day...but I did spend some time getting new stuff for me. I have a new scale. Hopefully this one will be more consistent! And I bought my kettle bell to try some new exercises and went to the library to pick up "Food Rules".

If I have one addiction...it's also ice cream....almost any flavor...especially Ben n Jerry's and Haagen Daz. mmmmmmmm.

Welcome to all the new ladies. I'm sure you'll love it here...great support group!

Renny...My hubby also has thyroid problems. When his levels are off, it can wreak havoc with him...he gets bad muscle cramps and migraines. Hope you start feeling better soon.

Michelle...From what I've been reading using kettlebells gives a better workout than dumbells. They have an odd shape and aren't as well proportioned as dumbells so more (and more complex) muscle groups are used. I'm looking forward to giving it a try! If you see me being very excited over some real progress....you know they're working!!!

Genealace...Thanks for the exercise video idea. I found a couple of good ones on YouTube last nite. I guess I'll be adding those to my other exercises. Less fat n less pain....I can live with that! Work just bought us all new computers and keyboards. I doubt I could get them to spring for another keyboard...but I think the wrist exercises will help. The stretching felt great last nite while I was doing them.

Everyone have a great Wednesday...I still have to go clean up the kitchen after a late dinner. I'm tired!

Rita
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Michelle, I would have gone over by more than 150 calories if I made lemon bars.

Kackie, lucky you having a garden.

Keba, that is a tough one. Do you get breaks during work where you can at least walk around for 10 minutes at a time.

Mary, get better fast and do what you have to do.

Good to know I'm not alone in the ice cream addiction. No more of that in my house for a while and my hubby is on board with it. Had a nice loss today, down 3.75 lbs this week for a total of 18.75, yay. Tomorrow is my monthly book club so it will be my cheat day. I'll make mindful choices, but will not worry if I go over.