WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,966 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    If you had been with me this weekend, you would not have believed it was me. Thursday was pretty good
    if you consider Mexican food and a few handfuls of cashews good. On Friday I had a shake in the room for breakfast, then went to the hotel breakfast room and while talking to people who were here for the same event, I downed three pieces of toast with peanut butter and a banana. I had a shake for lunch but then we’d bought tickets for the spaghetti and pizza dinner where I had five pieces of vegetarian pizza………my analysis is that there is so little real nutrition in pizza that you have to eat too much just to get adequate nutrition. I returned to my good habits this morning----shake and a banana for breakfast, Isagenix bar for snack, resisted all the chocolate that kept appearing on the table at the meeting then went to lunch and ordered a veggie soft taco and cole slaw. I had barely started eating the taco when Jake pointed out the avocado which gives me horrible stomach cramps so I stopped eating the taco and ate all the French fries. Dinner was better
    I ordered grilled chicken from the senior menu. It came with little red potatoes and cauliflower and broccoli. I got a double order of veggies and no salad so I didn’t have to even think about croutons and salad dressing. It tasted great and I felt healthier just eating it.

:flowerforyou: Cathy, I’m so glad you found a solution for the pain.

:flowerforyou: Rita, I haven’t been in the situation like yours, but my start on MFP was planning my food for the day and sticking with the plan. My first rule was to accept no food that was offered to me, no matter what. Having a hard and fast rule and a plan kept me from thinking about food all the time and gave me direction about what to do and say when offered food. No one can argue with you when you say you have a plan a rule that says you can’t deviate from your plan.

:flowerforyou: Rebel, I looked at your diary and it does look healthy. I stopped eating pasta because the calorie count was just too high compared to the nutrition and the amount I’d get to eat. 100 calories of steamed veggies will fill a plate and 100 calories of pasta will fill a scoop

:flowerforyou: Renate, I stopped worrying about insulting people and just eat what I want. If you were allergic to shellfish you wouldn’t eat the shrimp cocktail just to avoid hurting someone’s feelings.

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: well, it's way past my bedtime.....I want to walk in the morning but we have to be packed and the car loaded and at the morning meeting by 8:30 so I'd better get to bed and sleep fast.
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    Welcome to newcomers.... I'm already not new after only a week ....

Have had a good day today.... walked to the organic markets this morning.... managing to clock up 40 minutes of brisk walking along the way .... all the way justifying the lovely warm buttery freshly cooked (small) croissant I was going to deserve when I got there..... but they had sold out already..... so I found a guy who made the most wonderful fig, apple and walnut brownie.... went very well with my soy mocha.... and even though it probably had the same calories as a croissant it was sooo filling that I didn't need anything else till lunch time and it was all healthy.... feeling very proud of myself for resisting croissants..... which i didn't actually it was only because they had sold out!

Homemade pumpkin soup with loads of ginger, garlic and coriander for lunch..... so full I only need a carrot for afternoon tea..... and still 780 calories left for chicken salad for dinner..... I feel so good when I actually feel full, have eaten yummy healthy food AND kept within my daily limit.

Love hearing everyone's daily ramblings on this post.... :)
  • sallyjcu
    Options
    Hell - 000! Yes this week has been on the hellish side, but, I think a corner has been turned. Enthusiastically signed up for the spinning - but el' cheapo (Moi) signed up for yours truly 55 and older so I have to be at the university fitness center between 6 and 9 a.m. Well, el' cheapo here works until 10 p.m., signs in way too tardy on the diary ( at midnight you can be in the middle of filling in the facts and suddenly part of your diary has become....the next day . Which as you all know, messes up the works as to how one is really doing calorie/exercise- wise...must be wiser :huh: )

So, el'cheapo is going to give herself a gift!!! Go when you can and pay for the day and you will be much happier....and healthier.

This is living!!!

XXXSallyj
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi everyone

:frown: Isn't it awful how everything seems to break down at the same time? I've been looking out for a new washing machine for a few weeks as my old one is on it's last legs. Now the oven on the cooker has decided to stop working :grumble: :grumble: Mine is a gas cooker, and I have to keep the knob pressed in whilst lighting the oven, then gradually let go and it stays lit, but no matter how many times I've tried - the flame goes out as soon as I let go of the knob. :explode:

:flowerforyou: Thanks for the advice for my mum. I think she is now starting to realise she needs to lose weight, but as you say, she has to really really want it. The district nurse is coming to see her Wednesday to do a doppler (?) test. (I need to look it up on the internet) but it is to test her circulation and water retention.

:laugh: Now I need to practice what I teach - and stop eating unhealthy food myself! I decided I should try to eat new foods I hadn't tried before, so I bought a butternut squash. Now don't laugh :embarassed: but I've never tried one before, I'm going to cook it later this morning and have it with our Sunday dinner - any left overs I'll add to soup as it appartently makes lovely soup :huh: I'll let you know how I got on with the taste later. I've never been a big vegetable lover, in fact it's only recently that I've tried sweet potatoes and I love them, so who knows what other vegetables are out there that I might like. :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Seems a lot of you are going on cruises or have just returned from a cruise. Sounds lovely hope you have a great time (or had a great time). It's a wet day here, the thought of sun and sea sounds sooo good - wish I was there!

I still need to think of goals for October. I want to think of at least one goal I can achieve - I've not done very well in that department in the last few months.

Sorry I've not had time to mention you individually, but I think of you all and am glad of your friendship.

Viv x
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Finally managed to get out of bed. I have had the most awful stomach bug but seem to be over the worst now, just feel extremely weak. Will catch up with you all later as I'm shaky at present. x
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies & welcome to new friends.

I've been home a week after our lovely 3 week vacation :happy: & I am struggling to get going again:sad: . I must pay more attention to my food. The only thing I've managed to keep going is the gym this week. My portion control is out the window. I've decided my plates are too big. I had success with reducing my plate size some time ago but the plate got broken & has never been replaced - until today!

I have even more of an incentive to shed my excess weight as I really think I'm starting with arthritis. Had mild aches in my index finger & thumb joints for about a year but nothing serious. For the last 2 months my left hip has started to ache where getting up & climbing stairs is noticably painful. So a trip to the Dr is in my future. Probably painkillers but being lighter won't do any harm. Off to the cardiologist next week for the results of the MRI I had just before my holiday. No idea what he may have in store for me.

I love autumn/fall. For me its the season of warming home made soups & walking the dog on a crisp, cool morning. But its also the time to sit & quilt which doesn't burn many calories at all:laugh: Harvested the last of my potatoes & tomatoes this week. I'm surprised they survived after 3 weeks of total neglect. We have lots of little red cherry tomatoes but my favourites are the yellow ones. They are so sweet. I love them grilled with a few herbs on warm flat bread. I have a pepper & a couple of chili plants that survived too but its too cool outside to ripen properly so I'll have to bring them in. I have a small garden so everything is in pots & containers. I'm trying to find veggies I can grow during an English winter.

Take care & enjoy your Sunday while I catch up with the last of the post holiday ironing.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Lost one and a half pounds this week. Hoo boy, did my Friday am aquafitness class tucker me out. We start with weights right off the bat, no warm-up, and do all of our exercises with them. I was sore all day, and the next as well. I'm going to have to show up 30 min early to swim a few laps at 7:30 am.

Lovely weather for this Canadian thanksgiving weekend. Warmer outside than inside, so it is great to have an Indian summer off to such a good start.
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian Friends! Enjoy your family & time together:drinker:

Welcome to our new members! This is a great place for support & friendship.

I spent Friday & Saturday with my parents and my brother was able to come as well. I had not seen them for a couple of months because I was in MT. I don't like to go too long without visiting them. My Mother had gotten tickets to the Fall tour of historic homes and plantations in the area. It is a fundraiser for the Museum on the Island (History). My father is not as keen on going on these so I was glad to join her. They are always interesting and fun. Our favorite was an old schoolhouse that had been built for former slaves on the island and then sat empty for many years. A couple moved it and renovated to be their home on one of the creeks here. It was stunning what they did with such a simple and crumbling structure. The old, oversized windows were gorgeous and they used all the old flooring and beadboard. I wish I had photos to share. It has been in several magazines over the past few years. It has me looking at old buildings and wanting to do the same. I am a "re-doer" to the bone.

On the good side: I turned down the chocolate cake and ice cream that my Mother made for us. I made good choices each day there. Then I came home last night, with NO PLAN...always bad for me. I was very tired. Ate a salad, had a glass of wine and then, things went downhill from there. Made a bit of popcorn. Had another glass of wine. Ate a 100 calorie ice cream sandwich...then another...:grumble: :grumble: :grumble: Good news is, it's another DAY:love:

Mary: I am laughing at your calorie burning mail exercise! I know it wasn't funny then.

Rebel: Don't you love Flow Yoga? It is my favorite and I can tell you, it is great for every part of your body. And the best kind of strength training. They changed the Vinyasa Flow class schedule at my favorite yoga studio and I cannot make it to that class anymore. I try to do it at home but it isn't as tough a class when I do it alone:huh:

Barbie: Glad to know you VERY occasionally have some days like that:bigsmile:

Amanda: Feel better soon! Sounds awful:sick:

Everyone else: Enjoy your day and make good choices. I PLAN to today!!!
    Kackie:heart::heart: :heart:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Barbie, thanks for the comments on my diary. I have a DH who LOVES to serve me food and drink. It is one of his great pleasures in life. Sometimes I don't have the heart to decline the heap of pasta and wine. But I will have to set him down again and explain that I can sabotage on my own quite well, thank you very much!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

What to plan for today, as planning is key. Breakfast is over (toast and coffee, thanks to DH). The rest of the day is up to me, because he goes off and feeds the street people (told you he LOVES to feed people).

I will enter my intended intake now and see where it gets me. Meanwhile I have to work on year end for the business today. :grumble: Yuck. Although I am an accountant, I hate doing it for our own stuff :grumble:

ttyl
    :heart: Rebel
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Happy Thanksgiving to those in Canada!

And thanks to Kackie for reminding us about it.

Jeannie
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I don't know what's going on, the last 3 times I have tried to post a long post, it hasn't shown up. I can't figure out what's going on.
  • topaz2986
    topaz2986 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

First I'd like to say Happy Thanksgiving to all friends in Canada. I didn't even know Canada had a Thanksgiving Day. One of the things I love about the web and meeting others from all over...I get to learn so many new things!

I'll try the meal planning as you do, Barbie. I think it will help get me back on track....and keep me there. I participated in one of the monthly challenges for exercise/food/water on MFP for September. I completed all of the challenges, but then fell apart for a few days in Oct. I'll start fresh...and with a PLAN.

Lisa, pumpkin soup sounds yummy. I'll pass that on to my hubby. He made pumpkin chili last week that was really good.

I've spent the day ripping out a huge perennial garden that became horribly overgrown....as soon as my back recovers a bit (and my guys give up the tv)...I'll do my yoga dvd. I'm sure the yoga stretching will help me to not be so sore at work tomorrow.

I hope everyone had a great day!

Rita
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    What a beautiful day it was here! I feel much better...not at 100% yet but better. My husband and I walked through the city this afternoon and then when we got home, I got to the gym! It was a slow workout but at least I got myself there.

Cynthia…Thanks for the well wishes. What a great job you did figuring out your food choices before your night out. I hope you had a great night.

Michele…I agree with you about kale. I usually sub spinach in recipes.

Barbiecat… What a weekend. It always helps me to read your posts…coming back to the good habits.

Viv…it is so frustrating when things start breaking all at once. That happened with both my dishwasher and fridge last year….they were only about 6 or 7 years old. Thankfully I had an extra job then and I was able to replace them. I don’t want even to think about that happening now!

Amanda….I hope you feel better….

Kackie…. I can so relate to your story…going downhill is such a slippery slope. I could feel myself slipping when I didn't feel good. That is a very common pattern for me so I know its one I need to be aware of and act upon. Good that you turned it around.
    Have a good night!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,371 Member
    Options
    Jeannie - if the tickers does reset your days, there is a link where you can request that they reset it. You'll find it under "technical support"

barbie - all I can say is that "it's great to know that you are just like us, you have your 'off' days too". Glad you got right back on, tho

Made a coca cola cake yesterday. I thought the recipe sounded different, but I did think it would have more of a coca cola flavor. Some ladies invited me to a jewelry party today. Not that I'm real crazy about going. I'm not sure if I'll go or not since it's nice weather and I can string more popcorn for the Christmas tree. I like to string it on the deck so that if pieces of popcorn break off, I don't have to clean them up, the wind just blows them away. If I don't go, I'll take the cake to the bowling alley tomorrow. I followed the directions for the cake and found out that although it says to use two 8" cake pans, you really need 4 since it rises so much. Looks like I'll need to buy some canned pumpkin. Found a good recipe for a pumpkin bread which I just might give a try. I need to send some things to Bryan, so maybe I'll make one bread for him and one to put in my freezer. Update: I didn't go to the jewelry party, it was too nice out, not too windy, so I was able to string quite a bit of the popcorn. I'll take half of the cake to the food kitchen tomorrow and the other half to the bowling alley. Not that I really needed anything, anyway. there are these stacking rings that I would like to get, but I know that I can get them at the local jewelrs so I'm not in a rush.

Viv - I've found that with butternut squash, you need to add some seasoning. Like I just pureed some squash and added a bit of cinnamon. I tried it once cubed and just in my salad - was to me pretty bland. It needed a "kick". I recently made butternut squash soup and it had some spices in it. One of the hardest things I've found is trying to cut it in half to seed it and then roast it. Wonder if you can roast it whole, let it cool, and THEN cut it and seed it?

Amanda - get better fast! I hate to hear when someone's not feeling well.

kackie - I'd much prefer to have a class, I feel that I "push" myself harder when I'm in a class. But then there are times when it just doesn't work into my schedule so I need to do something at home. But for me, anyway, I can't do that every day.

Rebel - your dh loves to feed people, even homeless. Do you pay for all the food or does he serve at a soup kitchen? Good for him! I like to try different recipes, like I tried that cocoa-cola cake. It has good flavor, but it doesn't look like a whole lot. Fortunately, the soup kitchen will take this type of donation. Now I know that I need to make 4 cakes, not 2 like the recipe says and then cut them.

Did an hour of balance games on the Wii today. Tomorrow I'll take that extreme pump class. Making my breakfast for tomorrow so all I have to do is heat it up. I'll have some steel cut oats with strawberries on top.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: we are home safely and tired....suitcases are unpacked and most of the laundry done...back on track with my eating with only a few pieces of cheese as a small detour.......I was over my calories but at least the food was healthy...I'm used to doing more exercise so I have more calories for the day.

:bigsmile: tomorrow is DH's birthday and he wants to go to the lunch buffet at the Indian restaurant.....it will be a chance to sample some different things but a challenge to not over eat.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: we don't pick up the animals from boarding until tomorrow morning so I guess I'll have another early morning walk alone but when Brandy and Sasha come home they'll want to go for a walk with me so I'll get more exercise.

1675539m3u9wy902j.gif
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi everyone

:ohwell: It was quite dark this morning on our walk, the clocks go back an hour at the end of the month, (the end of British Summer Time) back to Grenwich Mean Time - not that it makes much difference, it will still be dark on our morning walk. It's starting to get darker earlier on an afternoon too, a sure sign that summer is over and winter is on its way.

:flowerforyou: Welcome back Barbie I bet your doggies will be pleased to see you. Happy birthday to your hubby.

:flowerforyou: Michele you are right, the butternut squash did taste a bit bland. I only used a little bit of it, so I think I'll puree the rest and make some soup. My friend Jane has some wonderful soup recipes, so I'll ask her for advice.

:bigsmile: I've worked out most of my meals today already, I've eaten breakfast and we'll be having a chicken stew/casserole for our evening meal. This leaves lunchtime :huh: :huh: I'm going into town with my mum (we may meet up with my 2 aunts) and we'll be eating lunch at a cafe. I've been wondering what to have. I usually have either an egg sandwich or a tuna sandwich (both with mayo!) but both are loaded with calories. I'm thinking I'll have the soup, its probably from a tin, but should be a lot less calories than a sandwich. This will be a test for both of us, I've mentioned that my mum is trying to lose weight too, she normally opts for the sausage roll followed by a piece of chocolate swiss roll. I wonder if I'll be able to talk her into something more healthy?? :noway: :noway:

:grumble: Still trying to find a reasonably priced cooker and washing machine, but the more I look on line the more confused I get. There are so many different ones to choose from, both items need to be a certain size to fit into the space we have, I can't afford to rearrange all the kitchen units!

:flowerforyou: Well time is getting on and I need to have a quick tidy up and put the chicken and veggies into the slow cooker so I'd better make a start.

Have a good day :heart:

Viv xx
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    A good Monday morning to you! I am back after spending the weekend at a church women's retreat. Had a great time and went on a really long walk around the grounds with my daughter and friends. Now I'm tired!
    I have a busy week - playing in a band concert tonight, keeping score at a volleyball match tomorrow followed by rushing to a meeting, bell choir and choir practice on Wednesday, band rehearsal on Thursday, and Friday leaving for the weekend for our annual family fall campout, the last of the season. Not sure when I am going to pack though! Maybe if I didn't have to go to work??

Michele - If you pierce the butternut squash with a fork and microwave it for a minute or a little longer, it should be a little easier to cut.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I woke up at 5 AM as usual and Jake asked to sleep late so I got dressed and had breakfast and went for my walk…….this is the fourth day of walking without my sweet poodles who are still being boarded and can’t be picked up until this morning.

:flowerforyou: I have decided that walking very early in the morning is a metaphor for life…….at the start it was dark and at times I wasn’t sure where I was and I was able to see only a tiny bit ahead of me, but I persisted and did not quit and quite suddenly I noticed that it was getting lighter and more was visible and I was better able to get my bearings and see farther down the road.

:flowerforyou: Today is DH’s birthday and he originally wanted to go to the buffet at the Indian restaurant. I agreed because it was his birthday and his choice. At bedtime he told me that maybe he would rather stay home and eat our usual food and be here with the pets who’ve been boarded since Thursday and maybe watch some shows we recorded on the DVR. So as part of my walk this morning I walked to the wonderful food store that’s a mile away and bought a small boneless leg of lamb and fresh cauliflower. When I showed him the food he was thrilled because he recognized that we’d been eating in restaurants too much and it was time to get back to healthy eating.

:flowerforyou: Viv, I have been gradually getting used to walking in the dark, too. We are far north and will have some very short days for a couple of months and don't want to skip the walks because of the darkness. I carry a flashlight when I walk the dogs individually first thing in the morning and when I walk them together I walk on the streets in our neighborhood where everyone has a light on a post in front of their house so i can see well enough. The dogs like to walk on the trails but we can't walk there in the dark. Good luck finding something healthy to eat in a cafe. I've just come back from a weekend of that challenge. Sliced tomatoes, broiled fish or chicken, steamed vegetables are about the only things I've found at that is not likely to be cafe food.

:flowerforyou: Mary, it is amazing how you find time for all the things you do :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :smile: It is Thanksgiving Day and the family is coming for dinner. I've got my meals planned for today and entered it in MFP. I did it yesterday and just had to make a small adjustment after the fact because of a change in cheese and a glass of wine. I knew yesterday would be a sedentary day, so doubled the effort with respect to food intake. Today will be a bit more active: some housework, some shopping, some food preparation and of course grand baby time :love: :love: . I am allowing myself a glass of wine and a slice of pumpkin pie at dinner. We'll see how I've done by the end of the day.

-Michele, DH volunteers at a soup kitchen called "Our Place".

Well, off to the store I go. Need to buy some more ingredients for dinner and want to buy a yoga mat for tomorrow's class.

Have a great day!

:heart:
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I have decided that walking very early in the morning is a metaphor for life…….at the start it was dark and at times I wasn’t sure where I was and I was able to see only a tiny bit ahead of me, but I persisted and did not quit and quite suddenly I noticed that it was getting lighter and more was visible and I was better able to get my bearings and see farther down the road.

What lovely words Barbie.... I am reading this after avoiding walking this morning by lying in bed.... I have just got up and am feeling guilty.... but I am going to compensate by going for a long walk on the beach in the sand... so to continue the metaphor... sometimes in life we choose to take the easy path but if we take some time to really ask what we need we eventually choose what is best for us.... even if it is a harder path.