WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER

Options

Replies

• PrimalMorningMoon
    PrimalMorningMoon Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    @AliceLMS I've canned pumpkin...kinda like tomatos, cooked the squash then put it in the jars to cool and seal. I used it pretty quickly, so it might not be a long term kind of thing. I think a hot water process would be enough rather than the pressure cooker. Research research research. :)
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    i have a question...do you all eat your exercise calories back or not??????in september i did not, and notice a small loss, in october doing the same thing gain a pound, now i eat some back....so confused...HELP please
  • Sweetpea3963
    Sweetpea3963 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    I am one of those over 50 people (closer to the 60 side of this number). I lost my job in March this year and gained additional weight from that time on. Also became depressed and my arthritis has flared up as well. It became a vicious circle with the exercise hurting and then not exercising because of the pain and gaining more weight......and so on and so on....... I am starting to feel less depressed and figure this happened for a reason and maybe I am better off as I did not enjoy my job anyways. I am really enjoying MFP and finding it is a very helpful tool for tracking my food and exercise. I have not been on blogging pages much yet, but looking forward to what others have to offer. Happy October Everyone!

Renate
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,
    I am one of those over 50 people (closer to the 60 side of this number). I lost my job in March this year and gained additional weight from that time on. Also became depressed and my arthritis has flared up as well. It became a vicious circle with the exercise hurting and then not exercising because of the pain and gaining more weight......and so on and so on....... I am starting to feel less depressed and figure this happened for a reason and maybe I am better off as I did not enjoy my job anyways. I am really enjoying MFP and finding it is a very helpful tool for tracking my food and exercise. I have not been on blogging pages much yet, but looking forward to what others have to offer. Happy October Everyone!

Renate

welcome renate,...this is a wonderful group of ladies, very supportive....if you can exercise a little(working through the pain) will really help with both depression and to aleviate the arthritis.... good luck
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    I am really enjoying reading about everyone's lives through this post... not just the weight struggles but the cleaning, gardening, canning pumpkins, etc ...... really does make me feel part of a community.... albeit virtual.

As I am on the other side of the world from most of you the sun is just rising now and I am about to start my day ..... I am off to meet a couple of friends for a morning tea in a very smart new cafe overlooking the harbour.... should be lovely but I am really worried I am going to find it difficult to stay on track..... will have to go for herbal tea and maybe just a small piece of cake.... or a big piece of cake and a very long walk later!

:happy:
  • lindaj07
    lindaj07 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hi lovely ladies! I just looked in to see you all and really - what a busy place this is! You all seem to be really positive, busy and hard working! Glad to see you all, it's been a while! Me? I've been busy too, got down to my original target weight, which was a bit heavy for me, so now I'm trying for my 'ideal' weight. Right now, I'm on hold, with just 13 pounds to go. I've upped my exercise regime and thinking about changes in diet too. Hopefully, this will get my weight moving again. Good luck everyone! Have a great weekend!
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    well' saw the doctor yesterday afternoon. She did a Doppler of my leg looking for a blood lot as I have been having cramps in my legs. No clot thank goodness.
    PT is now starting to massage the IT Band which is a muscle that runs from your hip to under your knee. Mine is very tight and needs loosening up.

Dinner tonight with daughter and sil and new baby at their house, we are bringing dinner in.

Starting to pack, Monday is Arizona day.

Lost the last pound I had gained.

Natalie
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Pam: To eat or not to eat the exercise calories: I think everyone varies on this one but I think my body does best when I vary things...Some days I need more food than others and I think it is best when I pay attention to that. If I don't feel especially hungry then I don't eat them. But some days I seem hungrier so then I do eat some of those exercise calories. I try not to eat all of them but on special occasions. I think my body just seems to adjust to whatever I do too often...if I cut calories too much, my metabolism just slows down to adjust, and I DON"T want that. I try to vary my exercise routine for the same reason. Your body just may need a little "jolt". I have heard some people say that they always vary their calorie intake over the course of a week...low one day, higher the next...but the same number total each week, in order to keep their bodies guessing...and losing. That seems like a good idea but I haven't officially ever tried it!

Welcome Sweat Pea! I think you will find some nice support and friendship here. Take care!

Everyone have a great evening, kackie:heart:
  • randylevy
    randylevy Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My monthly posting of the birthday list has arrived! Please send me a message if you want added to the list.

50+ thread Birthdays

Hi Mary, please put me down for July 31st.

Thanks.

Randy Levy
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Lisa - Welcome! By posting you joined! Now it'll be under "my topics" whenever you log in. One thing -- at the end of the month, our fearless leader, barbie, starts a new thread. You can get to that by going to the previous month's posts and there will be a link to the new month. Glad to have you on board. Hey, I'm still blaming my weight on my preganancy, and my daughter is 27! (as a note: I'm not old enough to have a 27 year old....lol) What part of Australia are you from? My daughter did volunteer work there a few years ago.

Viv - when people form habits (like your mum), it is so very hard to change. Change only happens when THEY want it. Then you can support her to the nth-degree. Until then, you're doing great

Ordered a few more DVD's mainly because they were on sale.

We went to lunch with the Newcomers. It was to be at the cafeteria at the local college. From what I understand, they have good fresh food. Unfortunately, for some reason they moved their homecoming meal inside, which means all they were serving were hot dogs and hamburgers. Yuk! We wound up going to this cafe near us, some people went to this Japanese restaurant. Anyway, Vince was commenting how last night I had this big veggie salad, how he thought I was becoming a vegetarian. I just said "no....I had a big piece of meatloaf too". What would be so horrible if I were to become a vegetarian -- not that I think I would, just that I'm preferring veges lately.

Roasted some chickpeas today. That's been my latest snack that I like. For some reason, I will eat them but I'm not crazy about chickpeas but I like them roasted. Go figure!

Pam - if I were to eat my exercise calories, I've found that I do not lose any weight, as a matter of fact I gain. By not eating them back I might lose or at the minimum maintain. I figure if I don't add them in and go a bit over on my calories, I'm still pretty safe because I didn't include anything from exercising.

Welcome Renate! I've gotten some really good tips from the other women on this forum so I'm sure you will too

lisa - what did you decide on for your "breakfast", was it a small piece of cake or a large one with a walk? Herbal tea is good.

The DVD series I have is called "Supreme 90 Day" It was only $20. The total body workout really, to me, isn't all that great. It was only 1/2 hr, didn't hit biceps or triceps. So I figured I'd do the bicep and tricep DVD thinking that they were all only 30 minutes long. WRONG. The bicep DVD is 1 hr long. Guess I'll just have to try them all to see how long they go for. To me, it's good and it's bad. I wasn't crazy about the fact that you worked abs first thing, my thought is that I don't want to fatigue abs before I do the other exercises. However, I did like the fact that they gave you a mini-preview of the exercises that you were going to do, gave me a chance to get a drink of water and get the equipment I would need ready. I also liked the fact that you did three sets, and everyone was doing them at a different speed. I didn't feel like I had to "keep up". Tomorrow I'll do some HIIT and then take the tai chi class, having taken that one in a while.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: about our trip. We are in Ocean Shores, Washington. We can see the waves in the Pacific Ocean from our hotel room window. We drove across the top of the Olympic Peninsula and along the coast to get here. The drive was beautiful and almost no traffic. We stopped for Mexican food along the way for lunch----I had a taco salad with black beans instead of meat. The cook in the restaurant is a friend of ours. today is his 71st birthday and he offered us pieces of his birthday cakes ( carrot and red velvet) and we said "no, thank you) but we sang Happy Birthday to him. We are traveling without animals
    they have gone to "autumn camp" (it's the wrong season for summer camp:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: )

:flowerforyou: there is rain predicted for the weekend but so far it is dry. and foggy and cold. We'll be in meetings from noon to bedtime tomorrow, all day Saturday and all morning Sunday so if there's a walk on the beach, it will have to be tomorrow morning.

:flowerforyou: we brought the cashews with us and I predict that they will be gone by the end of the day tomorrow.

:bigsmile: I'm not posting food and exercise while I'm gone but trying to be smart (cashews and Mexican food:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Pam, I started eating some of my exercise calories the day I came home from a two hour walk feeling faint and realized that if I was going to push my body that hard, I'd need to give it more fuel.......I never add sweets or any sort of empty calories and sometimes I don't eat all the exercise calories but it has worked for me......sometimes I'll walk an extra couple of miles just so I can have cereal or peanut butter or some other more calorie dense food.

:flowerforyou: Sissy I went to Papeete and other Pacific ports in the 1970's on World Campus Afloat, not a glamorous cruise but great ports to stop in........have a great time.....I hope your dress fits.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Alice I bake pumpkin and other squash and freeze it in freezer bags and it turns out great ( and not pressure canner involved :bigsmile: ) How right you are to acknowledge the blessing of having a full and active life........my life is the same.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Went to my first yoga class today - 45 minutes. It was called 'flow yoga'. Whatever it was, I liked it. It was not easy and I had to modify some of the moves, since my old body is none too flexible and none too fit :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Because I like it, I am more likely to go (perhaps even 2x/week), and that would be a good thing. I am definitely the oldest in the class (could care less about that actually, it's just a statement for no good reason what-so-ever) :bigsmile:

My *new* temporary position is going well so far. I have a *new* office, which apparently has a *freeze* and *sweat* time programmed during the day. Good thing I dress in layers! :laugh: :laugh:

ttyl
    :heart: rebel
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Laurel, you will be STRONG for the dress.

Lisa, welcome. Figured where you live based on your pic.

Oh Barbie, BAD husband!

Joyce, I thought I was the only one that liked that sugary, cornsyrupy stuff. Love me some candy corn.

Viv, my mom was overweight as well. Then she passed out at work and was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes. She has an older brother whose body has really deteriorated because of his diabetes and that finally got her attention. She followed the doctor’s diet guidelines to a “t” and lost 100 lbs in 2 years. She’s a role model at work now and they made her start a weight loss group. She’s off all meds as well. Hopefully it won’t take something that drastic for your mom, but until she’s ready, she won’t do anything about her weight.

Sissy, fingers and toes crossed for you.

Mary, enjoy the retreat. And yay on Priceline. Do you belong to Groupon? My offer today was two nights for two at the Planet Hollywood Hotel in Vegas for $138. It included a $50 meal credit and a $50 table credit plus 4 drinks, so an incredible bargain. But I live in Vegas already so kinda dumb for me.

Pam, what to eat is more a “know your body” kind of thing. What works for some might not work for others. Take the time to get to know what your body needs to operate best. Don’t make changes each week, pick one thing and stick to it for at least 3 weeks or a month. For instance, if try eating most of your exercise calories. If you don’t like the way the weight moves, reduce it to half of them. Keep going until you find a balance that works for you. For me, I eat ALL of my calories. I’d be unhappy otherwise.

Renate, sorry for your troubles, it can be so depressing. I’m glad you found us and MFP to help turn things around for you.
    Natalie, yay for no clot.

It's finally cold here, kinda glad. The chain has to be fixed again and I think there is a way to tighten it so it won't fall off again. Today was elliptical day though so I was able to get my exercise in. Tomorrow I may walk if hubby doesn't have time to help me with the spin bike. I wish I lived nearer the university since I can use that gym for free, and it's a pretty nice one too. I'll be using it next year once I'm a teaching assistant. Time to get back to the Oregon football game (we live in Bend OR in the summer, if I forgot to add that). Oh man, sometimes you really don't want to see replays. Just watched a young man land on his arm and have his elbow bend the wrong way. OUCH.
  • 1960lisa
    Options

lisa - what did you decide on for your "breakfast", was it a small piece of cake or a large one with a walk? Herbal tea is good.

Michele

I had a wholewheat scone .... not sure if you call them scones in US.... perhaps a biscuit?.... with jam, didn't have the cream... and a lemongrass tea.... how healthy was I!
  • 1960lisa
    Options

I keep changing my photo... I can't decide whether to put of photo of myself or not.... what do most people prefer....I quite like the idea of keeping it a bit anonymous but then I like seeing ones where people put photos of themselves as well.... what's the general consensus on photos??
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options

I keep changing my photo... I can't decide whether to put of photo of myself or not.... what do most people prefer....I quite like the idea of keeping it a bit anonymous but then I like seeing ones where people put photos of themselves as well.... what's the general consensus on photos??
    my favorite profile pix to use is my Bodi boy but lately I have felt more of a need to connect to people so I put up a pic of myself the way I hope to look again someday. I won't put up one of me now because I don't enjoy looking at them and when I log on to MFP I want the first thing I see to be either motivating or happy making.

That is my two cents. (Most of the ladies on this thread hadn't seen a pix of me in my profile for a year and a half:wink: )
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    my profile picture right now is my cat Haifa, who died in July. I miss him. sometimes I have a picture of me or me with my wonderful husband. sometimes I have a picture of Sasha and Brandy, the frisky poodles, and sometimes Bernie, the delightful cat who celebrated his fifth birthday yesterday :bigsmile:

I woke up early and hubby is still asleep so working at the computer seemed liked the least intrusive thing I could do
    I'd really like to make a shake in the blender, take a shower, and go for a walk. but I'll be a good sport......he needs the sleep.....I slept for quite awhile in the car yesterday while he drove us.:bigsmile:
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options

I have a cartoon photo for a couple of reasons - I hate looking at pictures of me. I find them depressing and deflating. I figure once I can post an actual picture of my body that means I've finally overcome a lot of hurdles. And secondly, in my work I see a lot of people taken advantage of because they post too much personal info. Not posting is just ingrained in me. I don't have a photo on my facebook page either.
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! It's Friday and in Canada at least it's a long weekend! :happy:

I'm going to try a new vegetable dish to take to my friends for thanksgiving dinner. My stylist told me about it while she was cutting my hair last night. I still need to find the whole recipe - but it is basically like a cross between a vegetable frittatta and a souffle! If it turns out I'll post the recipe.

I hope you all have a great day.

Bea
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My pic is a piece of Rosaline lace that I made at a workshop in England last year. I did more pieces this year. The thread is very fine and the little flower is about the size of a penny.

I'm all packed ready to go away for the weekend. Just waiting for my friends to arrive. Hope I haven't forgotten anything, but I probably have.

Panic call from my sister yesterday (her time in England) asking if I had some of the books that she needs to use for the class she is teaching because she was over-weight on her suitcase. I have them all and they are also packed ready to take.

Have a good weekend everyone, Happy Thanksgiving to the Canadian, and Happy Colombus Day to those in the US that celebrate it.