October Whole 30 for Paleo/Primal Support Peeps

Options

Replies

• jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Good to hear! I think it usually takes at least 1-2 weeks to get mostly adjusted......but after you do it only gets better!

For women especially, gauging weight is difficult as you tend to fluctuate much more than men. I believe this is mostly due to water weight and hormones.....someone could correct me if I'm wrong but I recall reading that somewhere.

Anyway, are you weighing yourself at a consistent time? I only weight myself once per week on saturday mornings first thing when i wake up.

Also if this is the case.....are you still eating dairy? I know for a couple of weeks I was in love with Greek yogurt, however, coincidentally those two weeks netted my zero weight loss. After I removed dairy again I began dropping. I haven't tried it again to prove my theory, but i believe the two are correlated.
  • mj_zepeda
    mj_zepeda Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The thing is... this weekend has been a total disaster. I had LOTS of carbs, and I discovered something.. I don't know if you guys agree with me? But when I have carbs or anything sweet... I CRAVE even MORE CARBS afterwards. So it really sucks. You fall off the wagon completely and then you start carb binging all day long. When I stay "on track" everything goes fine.. but whenever I have a piece of cake.. or some sweet stuff I want more and more. I guess it will take me the whole week to go back to the weight I saw on the scale last friday! :( 136.5 lbs. My goal weight is so close! I want to get down to 130 lbs... but most of all lose the belly and lose body fat. (currently at 27% body fat and want to get down to 20%). I have noticed huge difference in my body! Cutting out wheat has been a bit hard because I was a muffin, cake, cookie addict. Now I feel so free! It's great when you don't "depend" on those anymore ( that doesn't mean I don't like them anymore though) LOL

I live with my parents... and it is hard for them to understand why I want to cut wheat and grains from my life! Mom just thinks I am getting all paranoid and she looks at me as if I were a complete freak, she says that I have already lost a lot of weight.. and that I should "calm down" with this "diet" she calls it. Today they all wanted to order hamburgers! And I was more like wanting some broiled chicken, or some ribeye steaks..but nobody wanted to! It's hard when you disagree with the rest. Saying NO all the time.. specially when you spend weekends with your family ( weekends are always about eating out, or just hanging around together) so .. this is making a boundary between us and I don't like it . :( I mean, I don't want to be the family's neurotic girl. And there's no way to convince them to go PRIMAL.... Weekends really make me fall off the wagon.

HELP!

Eating something with too much sugar causes me to have cravings for more like a couple of days, not just one. If I'm going to indulge I have to be prepared to fight off the munchies for a while.

It is really hard for some to imagine a life without grains. I would remind your family that you are still eating good foods, anything you could get from grain- fiber, vitamins- can be gotten just as easily from veggies and fruit. If your parents harp on you about obsessing over your food choices, instead of talking about losing weight (a vanity to their eyes, you're already perfect to them) I would let them know how much better eating this way makes you feel. They may be more inclined to support you in this effort if they know it is positively affecting your health and mood.

Part of the problem is also that food is so wrapped up with emotional attachments, by rejecting their food, it can feel like you are rejecting them. Especially if it makes you reluctant to join them in going out to eat or other social events, they feel that loss of you. You need to find ways to reassure them that your food choices don't mean you don't still want to be together. Suggest other family activities that don't revolve around food- family game night? Also, start making/ bringing your own food selections to family meals. You can still share their company but eat the foods you want to fuel your body.

Thanks so much for the support! I know I will do better this weekend. I will try new stuff. Probably cooking for my family on Saturday :) ANY IDEAS of what I can cook for them to love?
  • jmeeej
    Options
    Make some coconut-breaded chicken breast served with pineapple and cauliflower rice. Maybe served with some steamed broccoli or asparagus.

The chicken is breaded with egg-whites, almond flour, and shredded coconut fried in coconut oil. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ......it's magical.

Or anything with bacon is an easy sell with non primal-ers
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Make some coconut-breaded chicken breast served with pineapple and cauliflower rice. Maybe served with some steamed broccoli or asparagus.

The chicken is breaded with egg-whites, almond flour, and shredded coconut fried in coconut oil. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ......it's magical.

The chicken sounds awesome!!!
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    News to report

Paleo/leptin reset victory- today I got down 62 grams of protein within 30 minutes of waking, had no sugar in my coffee so far and mondo levels of fat.. this is good right? ;)

Also my husband found a herd-share opportunity of grass fed, hormone free cows and sheep that we can buy into very cheaply.. meaning we will own part of the animal. I am so excited about this.. that means we can ,legally, in our state have healthy milk, cream and butter from our very own cow. I am hoping that I can tolerate unprocessed cream and butter.. it will be so wonderful to have dairy back in my life again and possbily be able to eat cheese we make ourselves.. I can almost taste alfredo sauce lol drool :flowerforyou: but even if it doesn't work out for me, my family will still reap the benefits.

Congrats on leptin reset victory. I have begun to think that if I posted how many days I ate of leptin reset, e.g. x days of 42 on plan or how many days since my last mistake, I might have a better chance of succeeding. LOL

Herdshare? Anecdotal plus personal experience with gluten/dairy intolerance leads me to believe that an entirely pastured/grass fed cow produces milk that I thrive on while a cow fed grain produces milk that I get very ill on. Herdshares fed according to your needs would rock! (Color me green with envy!)

I am hoping that is the case with me also..store bought dairy makes me very sick..keeping my fingers crossed. I am finding that I am more mindful of what I am eating if I log every day and post a couple times a week at how the reset is going for me. it seems to keep me on track. on that note.. another day with no sugar in my coffee.. Yay.. this a major step in the right direction for me.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I hope everyone else is off to a Fantastic and Paleofied week.

My pants are getting looser day by day and the Cardinals are in the World Series.............We are trying to score tickets, even standing room only now. I can't even get any work done because I keep checking the website, LOL............

Had my typical eggs, bacon and sausage for breakfast with coffee and ice water for breakfast. I have energy and feeling fantastic and stress free for the first time in quite a while.

I got lots of play, relaxation and Vitamin L over the weekend. I am ready to hit it hard this week with kettlebells and some couch to 5k running.

Have a GREAT Day everyone!!

And remember:

"Now is the accepted time, not tomorrow, not some more convenient season. It is today that our best work can be done and not some future day or future year. It is today that we fit ourselves for the greater usefulness of tomorrow. Today is the seed time, now are the hours of work, and tomorrow comes the harvest and the playtime.” - W.E.B. DuBois
  • asugar
    asugar Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am getting on the band wagon kind of late. Really would like to join though. I have been doing the Paleo for a few weeks other than some slip days ... still getting used to no grains at all. I really miss them. I know I am much better without wheat, it causes many health issues for me. I definitely have the "wheat belly" -- is there actually a book about that? Let me know what is going on with the group; thanks.
  • jmeeej
    Options
    8 Reasons wheat WAS making you gain. But now that we're all wheat free, it's all good :)

Anyway I just thought you guys might want to read about some of the reasons this way of life works.....

http://fitbie.msn.com/eat-right/tips/8-reasons-wheat-making-you-gain/
  • PrimalMorningMoon
    PrimalMorningMoon Posts: 85 Member
    Options

My biggest vice right now is Crystal Light. I can't stand my water plain. I did reduce my consumption today from 4 singles to 2 so I guess that's progress. I'm not sure I want to give it up at the moment so I guess that's in my 20%.

I like to have unsweetened herbal teas when I want something besides plain water. There are so many choices, I prefer fruity flavored teas like peach, cinnamon apple, blueberry. I drink them iced.

I like ice water and lemon or lime...a real slice is best, but the juices are ok too. True Lemon is ok and easy to pack around...little packets of dried lemon juice.
  • nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I also binge on carbs. Did you know that eating sugar spikes your serotonin levels? Serotonin makes you feel good. When the serotonin goes down, we want more sugar to get another serotonin spike. It is literally a drug addiction - I used to eat sugar knowing this consciously and using it to elevate my mood. I would have small binges.

It takes a day or two of low-carb self-control to shut down the sugar/serotonin roller coaster, but then it just... stops.

That is one reason I love Paleo.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I cheated this weekend and ate a cupcake - I totally got a sugar buzz off of it! I felt strange for about 30 minutes and then had to distance myself from the dessert table...sugar is definitely like a drug!
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I cheated this weekend and ate a cupcake - I totally got a sugar buzz off of it! I felt strange for about 30 minutes and then had to distance myself from the dessert table...sugar is definitely like a drug!

Sugar is something I can't moderate AT ALL.
    It sure seems to act like a drug in my system, for sure.
  • Birder150
    Options
    I also binge on carbs. Did you know that eating sugar spikes your serotonin levels? Serotonin makes you feel good. When the serotonin goes down, we want more sugar to get another serotonin spike. It is literally a drug addiction - I used to eat sugar knowing this consciously and using it to elevate my mood. I would have small binges.

It takes a day or two of low-carb self-control to shut down the sugar/serotonin roller coaster, but then it just... stops.

That is one reason I love Paleo.

It's amazing how fast the cravings go away once you just stop eating that stuff.
    That's one reason I love Paleo as well.
    That and being able to eat FAT. I love me some FAT! :happy:
  • Birder150
    Options
    If anyone is having trouble with getting their play time in, I have an almost 4 year son who would love to play dinosaur wars or wrestling or basketball or race cars with you. He wears me out!

He's adorable but I'm scared! :happy:
    I'd love to have the energy of a 4 year old again.
    It's so great how they can just break out in to a run for no reason and run around in circles and just keep going and going. And going.
    Well, great if you're them! lol
  • Birder150
    Options
    8 Reasons wheat WAS making you gain. But now that we're all wheat free, it's all good :)

Anyway I just thought you guys might want to read about some of the reasons this way of life works.....

http://fitbie.msn.com/eat-right/tips/8-reasons-wheat-making-you-gain/

Good reading! Thanks for sharing the link jmeeej.
    My copy of Wheat Belly should be here any day.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    OK - I just drank the last diet soda in the house. Time to give it up. This is going to be a challenge for sure.

I normally only drink diet soda - nothing else. The amount of water I drink in a day is what I put on my toothbrush to brush my teeth. I've been that way since I was 12.

So now it's going to be water with lemon or lime or cucumber or something along those lines. Given the amount of money I spend on diet soda, I should have a nice savings each week.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    hockyfan,

wtg! I'm sure you will not miss them at all.

water + fruit or herbs is nice.

Lavender, crushed mint, tumeric, lime, lemon, crushed berries.... :love: Water.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I like the carbonation of soda but not all the stuff that's in it , so I started drinking sparkling water with lemon.. no calories or bad stuff but it gives me that soda fix when I need one.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the support! I know I will do better this weekend. I will try new stuff. Probably cooking for my family on Saturday :) ANY IDEAS of what I can cook for them to love?

I agree about the bacon! Grilled bacon wrapped shrimp or chicken tenders.

Roasted veggies are a great side to wow people if all they eat are steamed veggies. Toss w/ olive oil, coconut oil, or butter. Spread out on baking sheet, sprinkle with salt & pepper, roast in oven 425degrees- 15-25 minutes depending on the veg(s) until they are beginning to brown and edges get a little crispy. A favorite in our house is broccoli, we can't get enough. We will do this very often with company using mixed veggies, that way picky eaters can pick out something they like from the mix.

Chili is an easy meal, see the post from an earlier page with the link to Mark's Daily Apple recipe.

http://www.ineedtext.com/FoodBlog/2010/01/21/chipotle-mexican-grills-barbacoa-beef-recipe-wannabe-is-a-winner/
    I love this recipe, I don't even brown the meat first or use the the juniper berry. Cook, shred, serve with salsa, onion, tomato, avocado, shredded lettuce or cabbage and wrap in leaf or romaine lettuce. And you can still offer cheese and sour cream so every one builds their own they way they want.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2009/09/slow-cooker-beef-bourguignon-recipe.html
    One more for the crockpot! This tastes pretty decadent, but please, use real bacon :happy: I didn't even use the full amount of bacon- only 3 or 4 pieces and it was still pretty rich. And I used one of those small cans of tomato paste- I just used the whole can rather than waste it.
  • mj_zepeda
    mj_zepeda Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It really sounds magical!!!! I wish I could get that almond flour though... or coconut oil. I live in Brazil and that stuff does NOT exist here. Or at least I haven't seen it. Wish I could do more paleo-primal foods... but I have to look in other markets... maybe I can get some other type of flour that's NOT wheat.