October Whole 30 for Paleo/Primal Support Peeps

Options

Replies

• busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    http://www.nourishingfoods.com/rocky-mountain-grain-products-hemp-hearts-16-ounce.html 454g, 16 ounces for $15 here at this web page. Still amazed at how marked up food is in TX. I usually mail order as much as possible.

i m g  s r c]  html code with no spaces....   seech.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am!! I love soup!! This is one of my favorites:

Pumkin Coconut Soup
    (I have made this non-vegan by sauteing fresh pork sausage and skipping on the oil or margarine)
    http://vegetarian.about.com/od/soupsstewsandchili/r/pumpcoconutsoup.htm

Thank you for posting this link!!! :flowerforyou:
    I made my own version and it is DELICIOUS!!!
    I used a pat of butter to sauté the onion & 1/2 cup pumpkin pureé. Added 1/2 cup Aroy-D coconut milk (in the green carton ... the BEST coconut milk IMHO) chicken bouillon, curry, garlic powder & s&p.
    It took no time at all and is now a new favorite.

edited to add: the Aroy-D coconut milk in the green carton has two ingredients ... coconut extract and water. It is the best coconut milk I've tried and I've tried about 5 in the can and couldn't find one I really liked.

IMG_9892-1.jpg

YAY!! I'm glad you liked it!! :)

I'll post some more recipes this weekend!
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I've been playing with tweaking my calorie counts and my carb/fat/protein ratio to see what works best for me. Right now I'm eating a big breakfast and a medium size late afternoon/early evening meal and that's about it. I'm working on trying to figure out what my body really wants. I need 3 more pounds off by the end of October when I go back to my dietician.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Glad you are ok.. and that you've found some new yummy meals ideas. necessity is the mother of invention.
    Two amazing meal discoveries today that will help anyone on a budget -

First, woke up to a power outage when my CPAP lost power and I began to suffocate. :cry: This occurred over 2 hours before we usually wake up. :sad: Thank goodness, I'm okay now! :smile: No permanent harm done. By the time the electricity was restored, we were very late for breakfast and this is what I ate due to being out of bacon, sausage and leftover meats:

Breakfast (almost lunch time):

I had 4 eggs fried in a teaspoon of bacon grease topped with 1 can of Sardines in Louisiana Hot Sauce. OMGoodness, this was an unexpected delight. The hot sauce plus fish juices mixing in with the warm runny yolks were out of this world delicious! Now I grew up in New Orleans with seafood omelets and have since come to love the traditional Pacific NW's Salmon Scrambles (everyday fare) and Dungeness Crab for Christmas (breakfast or dinner) but as many seafood related dishes as I've nom nom nom-ed, I have never put sardines on my fried eggs or any other kind of egg. :love:

Lunch: was too full from breakfast which was served almost at lunch time so I had tea.

Tea: busy with an unexpected client so more tea

Dinner:

Didn't feel like standing up making salmon cakes one at a time in my smaller omelet pan (our larger pan died and wouldn't have let them release) was more work than I could fathom so...I got creative with looking around in the cupboard and refrigerator and playing the game "what foods need to be cooked first and how can I combine them in a brand new way?"

Threw some butter in a medium sauce pan, followed quickly by the finely minced onion that would have gone in the salmon cakes. Added a tiny yellow squash and a larger zucchini (both cut into a similar sized small dice so that they'd cook evenly and quickly) that were given to be by my coach when she knew she wouldn't get to eat all of her CSA veggies before she had to fly out of state but which I hadn't gotten to yet. :laugh:

So butter, onion, zucchini...then half a cup of Gertie's Finest Artichoke Tapenade and a few Tbsp of Okie Joe's Coconut Lime Salsa (which has both coconut milk and a little tomato). Lastly, stir in the can of salmon (14.75 oz) until thoroughly flaked, warm gently till salmon is heated through and serve in a bowl as a seafood stew. Topping with a splash of coconut cream or pastured, cultured sour cream optional. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Singing "put the lime in the coconut" now. :drinker:

Hope everyone is having a great day and thanks for the soup and chili suggestions!

I haven't had meals this inexpensive taste this awesome in a while. So glad I discovered them! :bigsmile:
  • iluv2travel
    Options
    ResilientWoman - I've got to try that sardine on fried egg combo! I'm off to the store after work to get some sardines :bigsmile:

jmeej - That chili looks phenomenal! yum! i'll put that on my list for next week. Its in the mid-90's in SoCal right now so i'm putting off chili when it gets cooler.
  • justamyagain
    justamyagain Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am continuing to eat well, but I am still trying to figure out the carb/protein/fat ratios that work best for me. However, I am curious about total calories eaten per day. Do you watch your total calories? If so, how many do you eat?
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    jmeej - That chili looks phenomenal! yum! i'll put that on my list for next week. Its in the mid-90's in SoCal right now so i'm putting off chili when it gets cooler.

I have this problem too, just not right to make chili when I can still wear flip flops.
  • jamk1446
    Options
    I am continuing to eat well, but I am still trying to figure out the carb/protein/fat ratios that work best for me. However, I am curious about total calories eaten per day. Do you watch your total calories? If so, how many do you eat?

A couple of pages back, Ayla asked a similar question. Below is my response to her. I don't really track much anymore but it's around 1600ish for me.
    ?Hi all, are any of you not tracking food during this challenge as per the whole 30 site?
    it makes me nervous at the thought of not, but also not sure on what ratios to put in for each thing and cals so I can track on MFP if I want to. I did find a site, and it has me at quite high cals, but maybe ill just focus on eating the right things to hunger and not track.
    Starting weight:
    89 kg (196 lbs approx)
    158 cm tall (5 foot 2)

I am currently weight training 3 days, and 3 days of 20 mins of cardio (have been doing this for 2 weeks) but was doing a lot of classes at my gym before. Ive lost around 30 kg in the last 16 months, with about the same to go.

I don't really track closely anymore, 20/70/10 sounds like a good place to start. I do recommend eating intuitively but for some, with food cravings or disordered eating habits for example, your intuition may be skewed. I don't know if this applies to you, just throwing it out there. If you feel that applies to you, maybe track for a short time to get a feel for healthier eating patterns and then let it go once you know you can recognize what is working for you and what is not.
  • iluv2travel
    Options
    jamk1446 - i got my NuNatural vanilla stevia yesterday and i love it!! Looks like the 2oz bottle will last me a loooong time. I want to order the other flavored ones from Wisdon Natural as well. Plus iHerb rocks, I love the freebies in my box :bigsmile:

Also, thanks for the carb suggestion that you gave me. My appetite is better today after eating about 70-75g of carbs. :flowerforyou:
  • jamk1446
    Options
    jamk1446 - i got my NuNatural vanilla stevia yesterday and i love it!! Looks like the 2oz bottle will last me a loooong time. I want to order the other flavored ones from Wisdon Natural as well. Plus iHerb rocks, I love the freebies in my box :bigsmile:

Also, thanks for the carb suggestion that you gave me. My appetite is better today after eating about 70-75g of carbs. :flowerforyou:

You're welcome, glad that helped! I just got a box from iHerb myself and it was the first time that I liked the freebies I got! I got a stevia drink mix in (like Crystal Light stick) and a protein bar sample. Usually I get some weird or obscure supplements so this was a nice surprise. I just got the Berry flavor liquid stevia. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet but it smells pretty tasty.
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Bless Grokette and every other one of you who held your temper today while we Paleo folk got bashed in the forums over someone's innocent inquiry into our Paleo lifestyle.

I chose not to participate in the forum directly but sent an invite to the OP to join us here and at the 'Palelo Support?' thread. To cleanse your minds from the hate speech and rudeness, here's the Whole 30 Challenge results link from MDA. Worth your time reading, at least I felt it was certainly worth mine.

Must incorporate more of this into our humble little thread!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-end-of-the-2011-primal-blueprint-30-day-challenge/
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I wrote up a huge long post.......and then when I went to post it......I find the thread locked. Fail

That thread was RIDICULOUS. I was getting angry reading it.....wow
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    May I please come here to find some common eating ground with you folks?
    I'm interested in the paleo/primal way of eating and have dabbled in it before but went astray when family health issues came up and I resorted to my old ways of eating my stress with crappy food ... and gained 22 lbs back!

I know it's almost halfway through the month but would it be ok if I jumped in here to do the challenge?
  • jmeeej
    Options
    Paleo is silly and in no way advantageous to any other calorie restrictive diet.

........just kidding :P
  • jmeeej
    Options
    Feel free to ask any questions or check out any of the peoples diaries.

You can also start your 30-day challenge whenever you're ready. After all it's all about your life....

Do you have any specific questions?
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Feel free to ask any questions or check out any of the peoples diaries.

You can also start your 30-day challenge whenever you're ready. After all it's all about your life....

Do you have any specific questions?

Thanks!
    Yes, I have a LOT of extra fat on my body and I'm not sure how I should structure my eating.
    How high fat I should go. How much protein.
    I love veggies. I can go without fruit for now except I do enjoy berries.
    I'll never argue about eating fat ... lol ... but I'm just not sure how much I should eat.

Also, I recently tried the 1200 calorie route and made myself weak, dizzy and sick.
    I upped my calories but I've been bingeing.
    I'd love to hear from those of you who are succeeding at weight loss following a paleo/primal eating plan.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Hey good morning everyone.

I made a bone-in pork picnic roast in my Grokpot Tuesday night so we would have supper last night faster and I made a sauce out of raw honey, dijon mustard and Braggs ACV and then diced up onion, garlic and an apple to throw in it too. I let it cook on low over night and last night my hubby just turned on the Grokpot when he got home to allow it to start heating again until I got home.

It was fantastic!!!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Ha ha, thanks. I am glad I was busy at work and was off and on but the low carb haters (just in general) were out in full effect yesterday.

I have learned after that 90 day suspension that People fear change and what they don't understand so they have to argue. I no longer allow myself to stoop to their level.

Bless Grokette and every other one of you who held your temper today while we Paleo folk got bashed in the forums over someone's innocent inquiry into our Paleo lifestyle.

I chose not to participate in the forum directly but sent an invite to the OP to join us here and at the 'Palelo Support?' thread. To cleanse your minds from the hate speech and rudeness, here's the Whole 30 Challenge results link from MDA. Worth your time reading, at least I felt it was certainly worth mine.

Must incorporate more of this into our humble little thread!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-end-of-the-2011-primal-blueprint-30-day-challenge/
  • alexaransome
    alexaransome Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm in - Low carbing is great, not sure about going 100% paleo yet though
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Down another 2.6 pounds this morning! I am just shy of 30 lost since July 30th.

Went to the pool at the YMCA last night and spent 90 minutes playing around with my son in the water. He's almost 4 and he pretended to be a shark and chased me. Little stinker caught up to me and then bit me! He said "But Mommy, sharks bite people."

My breakfast is so yummy this morning. I have 2 1/2 eggs scrambled in butter with tomato/bell pepper/onion and some shredded cheese. I had to split with my husband so we made 5 eggs. Add in a couple of pieces of bacon and some strawberries and raspberries and it's deliciousness on a plate.

Now that the sugar cravings are gone and I'm not wanting junk food any longer I think it's time to give up my diet Coke. It hurts just to type that. I have been drinking it every day since I was 18 -- that's 30 years now. We still have a 6 pack left and when that's gone, I'm planning not to buy any more. Let's see how strong I am.