October Whole 30 for Paleo/Primal Support Peeps

Options

Replies

• ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm already shifted fully into a Primal diet, (no more taste for junk or sugar!) BUT I'm not losing lbs or inches. I DO weight train, so I am gaining strength, but it sure would be nice to see some LOSS!!!! I am just looking for others who eat this way!

Just had a look at your food diary and my guess would be that your carbohydrate intake in too high some days and on those days your fat and protein grams are way too low.

You might consider trying not eating fruit or tomatoes or sweet potatoes for ten days and at the same time add fat and protein see how you feel then. Take a look at my diary for the last 3-5 days and compare it to yours. I'm 5'7.5", I weighed 248 at the start of October with a 44" waist. My highest weight was 352 and highest before Paleo/Primal living was 278. When I started this Way of Living, my waist was 52". That's a loss of 8" in only 5 months.

A good liquid fish oil supplement (without added sugar), eggs and bacon, and/or coconut oil are some of my go to foods for increasng metabolism and maintaining energy over a day with no snacking. In other words, I have some fish oil or coconut oil with my breakfast about half an hour after I wake up and can go all the way to 3-5 pm with no desire for food of any kind, especially true for me with coconut oil. That's 5 to 8 hours of sustained energy from eating 65-85% Fat, 50 grams of Protein (breakfast is 50g, whole day is 100-150g - sometimes a little less or a little later) and keeping carbs to a minimum and in tune with my training/life needs.

Welcome aboard the happy, healthy, supportive community of Paleo/Primal MFP Peeps.

Glad to have you!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Alright, one for the books tonight!!

Did a little research to figure out what I can do besides lift lots of heavy stuff while I'm injured. I put together a lower body routine that didn't touch a single weight and thoroughly kicked my *kitten*. I was so pleased. It didn't hold a candle to deadlifting and squatting but it served its purpose. I've detailed below.

HIIT warm up on the stairmill 2.37 miles in 15 minutes. ( I was hauling balls!)

Super set (3 sets of the groups of the 3 for the listed number of reps taking just a 45 second break)

20 Squat jumps
    20 BOSU ball side lunges w/toe touch
    20 Hindu Squats

20 Tuck Jumps
    20 Prisoner Squats
    20 Scissor Jumps

20 Box Jumps
    20 Lunge + twist
    60 second wall sits

CORE:
    60 second BOSU planks
    60 second Hello Darlin's
    60 second bridges (alternating legs)

Its an assicker but it was just what I needed today. Now I need to find one that doesn't use the arm...
  • ResilientWoman
    Options
    MsBanana, So pleased to read your post tonight. Made my day!
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    313784_2294787482031_1019371633_2567628_1734846756_n.jpg

I could use some help, shark week cravings have hit me hard ;( The antibiotics I'm on also calls for a doctor prescribed low carb diet. Go figure, at least I'm there. The antibiotic actually causes diabetes. Wow. But it's supposed to be the best thing against a dog bite. I'm so pissed at the owner right now for training that dog to be so violent! It's attacked numerous people and I'm the firSt woman its attacked. Even the doctor who treated me has witnessed and been attacked by the same dog, per the goading of its owner! That's what happedned to me! The owner actually told the dog to bite me. Of course I told the animal control officer, "put it down!" and he said, "sorry, I would love to, but in this county/city we are behind on the times and don't have a law to do so. The owner can pick the dog up after quarrentine if he wants it back." wtf? I hate this backward town. Can't believe there are places in America where no common sense exisits. And when the dog attacks and kills someone, what then? f'n..0(^@^&t)($*^*))_%^#&% !!!!!
  • ResilientWoman
    Options
    313784_2294787482031_1019371633_2567628_1734846756_n.jpg

I could use some help, shark week cravings have hit me hard ;( The antibiotics I'm on also calls for a doctor prescribed low carb diet. Go figure, at least I'm there. The antibiotic actually causes diabetes. Wow. But it's supposed to be the best thing against a dog bite. I'm so pissed at the owner right now for training that dog to be so violent! It's attacked numerous people and I'm the firSt woman its attacked. Even the doctor who treated me has witnessed and been attacked by the same dog, per the goading of its owner! That's what happedned to me! The owner actually told the dog to bite me. Of course I told the animal control officer, "put it down!" and he said, "sorry, I would love to, but in this county/city we are behind on the times and don't have a law to do so. The owner can pick the dog up after quarrentine if he wants it back." wtf? I hate this backward town. Can't believe there are places in America where no common sense exisits. And when the dog attacks and kills someone, what then? f'n..0(^@^&t)($*^*))_%^#&% !!!!!

If I had been bitten (and I was bitten by a normally gentle, huge Great Dane on my forearm with one puncture wound from his canine perforating me over 1 1/2" deep, nearly to the bone), here is how I would shift my training and intake:

*1. I would eat more ruminants, especially lamb, goat, deer and grass fed beef.
    *2. I would focus on a minimum of 65% fat in each meal before consuming protein or veggies.
    *3. I would abstain from fruits and nuts until I was off of the diabetes causing antibiotic which as much as I hate to admit it, you probably *need* to prevent an almost guaranteed infection from the bite. My daughter was bitten as well by a different dog years later and got a horrid infection depsite her very strong and scary antibiotic but we were still eating grains and legumes then.
    *4. I am not a doctor or an expert but I believe that without the carbs (20g or less per day from only veggies, no fruits or nuts) the antibiotic should not be able to wreck your future health.
    *5. Increase your immune system and rebalance your body with only gentle cardio (moving slowly and only when it is fun!) a few times per week. Lift heavy with non-bitten limbs. Go for short intense (heavier) reps not lots of medium ones. If you can perform the exercise more than 4-8 times, skip it or go heavier.

In my limited, lay person experience, this will help the most. YMMV

What does everyone else's experience with dog bites and living Paleo/Primal say?
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    If I had been bitten (and I was bitten by a normally gentle, huge Great Dane on my forearm with one puncture wound from his canine perforating me over 1 1/2" deep, nearly to the bone), here is how I would shift my training and intake:

*1. I would eat more ruminants, especially lamb, goat, deer and grass fed beef.
    *2. I would focus on a minimum of 65% fat in each meal before consuming protein or veggies.
    *3. I would abstain from fruits and nuts until I was off of the diabetes causing antibiotic which as much as I hate to admit it, you probably *need* to prevent an almost guaranteed infection from the bite. My daughter was bitten as well by a different dog years later and got a horrid infection depsite her very strong and scary antibiotic but we were still eating grains and legumes then.
    *4. I am not a doctor or an expert but I believe that without the carbs (20g or less per day from only veggies, no fruits or nuts) the antibiotic should not be able to wreck your future health.
    *5. Increase your immune system and rebalance your body with only gentle cardio (moving slowly and only when it is fun!) a few times per week. Lift heavy with non-bitten limbs. Go for short intense (heavier) reps not lots of medium ones. If you can perform the exercise more than 4-8 times, skip it or go heavier.

In my limited, lay person experience, this will help the most. YMMV

What does everyone else's experience with dog bites and living Paleo/Primal say?

I don't have experience with a dog bite but based on the antibiotic need, I'd say the above advice is sound. And as far as TOM cravings, I always think upping my fat, particularly sat fat is the most helpful (but I feel that's true anytime I'm physically out of sorts). Busywaterbending, I don't know how you feel about supplementation, but I have found B6 to also be helpful for those few days.

I'm sorry there's no recourse from the law about the dog. I also live in Texas, but in my area there is a law for putting down a dangerous dog.
  • ResilientWoman
    Options
    Busywaterbending, I don't know how you feel about supplementation, but I have found B6 to also be helpful for those few days.

Yes, that sounds like an excellent idea and reminded me of a friend's experience when her cat got a snake bite. The bite wasn't poisonous but got infected and my friend spent many months worried about her cat until she found a new vet who did acupuncture style "surrounding the tiger" protocol. For her cat this meant Vitamin B injections in a circle surrounding the bite. It healed in a few days after that procedure.

Since that time, as a future acupuncturist, I have heard several similar stories but with people the practitioner usually dips the sterile acupuncture needle in a Vitamin B solution then places them in a circle to heal the wound from the animal bite. This protocol is also prevalent and highly successful in treating diabetic wounds.

So, something to think about...
  • Ayla20103005
    Ayla20103005 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hows everyone going?
    Day 3 of the whole 30 for me, and I feel a bit yucky, but I felt much worse yesterday. I am finding with the fats, I am not needing to eat as often, although today the latte cravings have been hard. I did try a coffee with coconut cream, but the taste was hard to keep drinking.
    I do worry about putting on weight eating this way, just because I am so used to "fat is bad". How has everyone else gone with weight loss? I am going to keep off the scales for the next 30 days though.
    Also not going to track my foods for the duration of this challenge, so really trying to tune into making sure im only eating when hungry, no matter when it is.
  • jamk1446
    Options
    Hows everyone going?
    Day 3 of the whole 30 for me, and I feel a bit yucky, but I felt much worse yesterday. I am finding with the fats, I am not needing to eat as often, although today the latte cravings have been hard. I did try a coffee with coconut cream, but the taste was hard to keep drinking.
    I do worry about putting on weight eating this way, just because I am so used to "fat is bad". How has everyone else gone with weight loss? I am going to keep off the scales for the next 30 days though.
    Also not going to track my foods for the duration of this challenge, so really trying to tune into making sure im only eating when hungry, no matter when it is.

I have a hard time with coconut in my coffee too, it won't have the fat but for taste, you might try almond milk.

I had a hard time getting over the "fat is bad" mentality too. Until I realized how much better I felt (first) and then (second) that my weight stayed in control. Being mindful of that full feeling will definitely help redefine your eating patterns.
  • ResilientWoman
    Options
    Hows everyone going?

Had a very nice day. I have no sense of how much I've eaten, if I've eaten or what I ate when under stress. I still track my foods to ensure that I am accountable for putting enough nutrition in me. Often at the end of a day, I feel encouraged to see that I've done a better job than I would have guessed at meeting my body's needs for fuel. I do not focus on calories, I focus on getting enough fat, protein and avoiding excess carbs.

Despite eating 100-200g of Fat per day, I continually am tested at less and less body fat %. One year ago, when I did hydrostatic weighing (dunked in a tank of water, more accurate than a scale), my body fat was calculated to be 44%. Now it is calculated to be 40.5%. I have shed the most pounds when my primary fuel sources are coconut oil and grass fed HWC. YMMV
  • jamk1446
    Options
    Just catching up on my blogroll and thought of posting this link here since many asked about lunch ideas.

http://primalkitchen.blogspot.com/

She packs a bento box lunch for her child and posts a picture and a list of the contents. Unfortunately, she doesn't list them in their own category under recipes but at the bottom of each post she links to other posts "you might like" that are other lunchbox posts.

Also, in time for Sunday breakfast:

http://primalkitchen.blogspot.com/2011/07/dairy-free-gluten-free-grain-free-sugar.html

This is a simple pancake recipe with no added sugar, only the bananas.
  • PrimalMorningMoon
    PrimalMorningMoon Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I finally hit the grocery store this afternoon. Got some good stuff to cook. :) Will be pulling out the crockpot for sure for the several roasts I have. Also got liver, which I love, but I'm not sure how the Spouse feels about it. And a heart...which I will be looking for a recipe to make it tender and yummy.

@momof8munchkins (I think that's the moniker) I really liked your link to The Primal Kitchen. Thx.

Today's eating was ok. Hanging on to a few things yet. Oatmeal, dairy--meaning milk, peanut butter, and a little sugar. I got some stevia drops that taste good so that will help a little with the sugar. I also tried that spoonful of coconut oil. Not bad at all, and I did stay not hungry until just before dinner. For the first time since coming here to MFP, at the end of the day the program told me I will actually weigh less if I continue to eat like I did today. :happy:
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    317045_201689093237566_127583850648091_482232_1777649714_n.jpg

thanks all for the great advice, and I will def. do my best to avoid carbs. The infection was pretty bad up until yesterday. I know that I need to prevent any further complcations from these full out antibiotics, and I'm totally praying that this dog doesn't have rabies. Anyhoo, can't stress out.... can't stress out.

Ayla... I personally came from a carb,protein, low fat, low caloric intake and high exercise mindset. After 10 years of this kind of living, I was lucky to have an intake of 1000 calories a day, and some days I would exercise as much as 5 or 4 hours at an athletic event. I have always been deamed healthy, and super in shape even with my fat thighs. Really, lot's of fat on my thighs. As of this spring, after getting back from a trip in the Grand Canyon I got the more than usual bloodwork done since I couldn't make it out of the canyon w/o help. I found out that I was anemic and the doc told me to up my carbs. and to up all supplements.

By July of this year I was taking mega doses of supplements and was on a 2k calorie diet of mostly carbs. I soon became hypoglycemic and prediabetic. F this, I thought to my self. These doc.s are trying to kill me. IN Aug. I switch back to my primal living and high exercise mode, but discovered Paleo here on mfp. As a personal trainer that was brainwashed on the lowfat, high carbs and tons of exercise mantra I truely believed it was always the way to go, but in just 1 month of high fat and low carbs with Paleo I can honestly say that I feel better, and I'm not gaining any weight. In fact, my thighs are visibly becoming more aestetically shapely and the celulite has disappeared. I feel better, and my anemia has disappeared. My reflexes are quicker too.

Just keep the carbs down and don't freak. Also, from the paleo30 sept. group, the advice of using heavy cream in my coffee or tea was brilliant! I didn't care for the coconut taste. Butter in hot tea is also very yummy.

I've gotten a pretty crazy feeling when I ovulate. I think I'm dropping eggs. Allot. I've had problems in the past, but it seems the high fat diet has caused me to really be ovulating allot, while sometimes I wasn't at all. hmmm. interesting.

I'm gonna ask my acupuncturist about the surrounding the tiger technique. I've been doing HO and chlorophyll compresses, but the infection is deep in my Soleus and Gastrocnemius of my right calf, pretty deep. ;( I will get better and thanks again for the advice. Please keep at me, I could use the support. Being in a backward, uneducated cow town is really getting to me.

On a really good note, we are enjoying heavy rain and thunderstorms (with rain!) for the first time in almost 2 years! :)
  • ResilientWoman
    Options
    BWB, Let me know if your acupuncturist has access to all the Chinese herbs she or he might need. If they think of anything that would be good for your wound right now and they don't have it, I'd be happy to run the herbalist and mail it to them or you. My mom lives in a small town in Mississippi and whenever I visit, I bring more herbs than any other gift! Most patent remedies run less than $4 and a full treatment of raw herbs (2 doses per day for 4-7 days) runs only $35 including the consultation. Compared to Western medical costs I feel this to be a bargain. Your acupuncturist can speak directly to the Apothecary via phone if they speak Mandarin. I don't so I always go through his adult daughter who is fluent in both English and Chinese.

Seattle is a difficult place to build community compared the neighbors-helping-neighbors culture I experienced growing up in the Deep South. It does, however, excel at Medicine, Cancer research, Acupuncture, Herbs, as well as health and fitness in general.
  • PrimalMorningMoon
    PrimalMorningMoon Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    317045_201689093237566_127583850648091_482232_1777649714_n.jpg

I've gotten a pretty crazy feeling when I ovulate. I think I'm dropping eggs. Allot. I've had problems in the past, but it seems the high fat diet has caused me to really be ovulating allot, while sometimes I wasn't at all. hmmm. interesting.

LOVE the picture! :)

One obnoxious (to me) thing that low carb eating does is mess with that whole menstrual cycle thing. Estrogen is stored in or regulated by fat cells. When you start moving those fat cells around, they release the estrogen and things change in the system. They do say paleo eating can be a boon for infertility issues. When I did it before, it simply changed the timing and intensity of it, probably-like you said-ovulating differently. Now I'm perimenopausal and have been having irregular periods for the last year. I hope the cycle doesn't get regular again...I want to be DONE with this soonest!

On a separate note, it's @jamk1446 Thx for the link!
  • jamk1446
    Options
    On a separate note, it's @jamk1446 Thx for the link!

You're welcome!
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    Count me in for the next 30,000 days.
  • ResilientWoman
    Options
    Count me in for the next 30,000 days.

Welcome. ROFL
  • busywaterbending
    Options
    (from another topic thread, a poster who is arguing with one of our dear Paleo diet participants) "No one is saying to eat an excessive amount of carbohydrates. I, myself, who does not have diabetes, still watch my carbs from whole grains. Like I said before, eating WELL BALANCED meals is the healthy way to go. I would never tell anyone NOT to eat whole grains at all. Fruits and Vegetables as well are important to ANYONE.

The number of people with diabetes goes up because people DON'T eat well balanced diets. They eat junk. They drink soda. Look at the number of people in our country that are overweight. It's because they eat JUNK. People aren't taking care of their health the way they need to. Saying that it's because they put out information that you should eat healthy carbs is ridiculous."
    (and my reply to her on that thread was my testamony, which I'd like to share here:)
    nope, don't agree. I've been religiously raw foods and primal diet since 2004, and was gaining weight. I havent touched processed foods or sodas or gluten since 2004. I'm the person you say can't get diabeties. I was diagnosed Prediabetic hypoglycemic in June 2011, I was gaining weight with a 1k a day calorie diet of nothing but veggies, fruits, gluten free nuts, and fish and eggs. I was 124 lbs and the doc wanted me to EAT MORE CARBS to fix my problem? wtf? Actually prescribed potatoes and cereals and pastas to my diet and I was becoming sicker and more diabetic. I was also Anemic to the point of hospitalizaiton and megadoses of liquid supplementation by August kept me going. [a tick bite in May, causing rocky mt. spotted fever almost killed me!]

Well, what do you know, I told the doc. who kept upping my carbs. to go to hell, started eating fat and low carb in Sept. when I started researching how the body NEEDS fat, and DOES NOT NEED carbs. You should research it yourself!

I now have a new doctor, and new tests, and I'm better, feeling better - and for the first time in over 5 years I can eat more than 1k calories a day of chicken, sweet potatoes, and cilantro with out gaining weight. And no hypoglycemia. AND I now weigh 113. That's from 124 in June of this year by eating MORE [calories and fat, less carbs and no grains]!

Hmm. in only 4 months, this drastic a change going from a high carb to a primal to a paleo diet? Paleo all the way! I'm sold. So is my Indian gastroenterologist here in town.

I just want to say thanks to the Paleo people who really have helped me out with some great information, links and leads on the scientifically proven way to have a healthy metabolism and healthy life.

I can't believe I was so brainwashed for over 15 years to think that fat is bad. I think doctors are what's causing the obesity epidemic in America, and I feel such pain for my fellow athletes and fitness enthusiasts who (like I was) are educated to have carbs and protiens with tons of exercise, and no fat. I can't believe how wrong the FDA is and America is suffering for it.

I've dropped 10 lbs since the start of the year, with by quickest and best results being from August - now [with clear muscle definition in my legs due to fat loss and a loss of cellulite]. And I have energy to move even on a low carb diet, something that I was convinced by doctors and coaches was impossible. How come more Americans don't know about this?

Anyway, feeling fine, even though my dog bite is swollen and infected. The antibiotic I'm taking is pretty rough, but I'm handling it. Hope to be healthy in another week. Pilates today. :) After some acupuncture and a chiropractic visit from a great doc. from Houston who just happens to have an office in the backward town I'm currently living in. Also want to buy some Zumba dvds. I just discovered the free Zumba classes I hit up down town (where that dog bit me) are actually not zumba. I love the dancing.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of Mondays but I'm hoping this week is going to go better than last week.
    It's already off to a good start.

Breakfast- Smoothie: 2 Scoops of Egg Protein powder in 8 oz of water and a cup of frozen mixed berries

Elevensies- Half a garden veggie frittata with bacon... mmmm bacon.

Lunch- Roasted Chicken Thigh (lemon, garlic and black pepper) 2 cups of brocolli

Afternoon/Pre-workout Snack: Sliced Cucumbers and bell peppers, red grapes and a spoon or 2 of fresh ground almond butter

Dinner- Pork Chops (grass fed locally raised- from the farmers market), green beans and a sweet potato

Going to the gym tonight and I will be kicking my *kitten*. I'm going to attempt a total body routine. My arm is feeling better and I'm going to attempt some upper body stuff. No, I won't hurt myself further. I'm only going to try weight bearing type exercises (no lifting. swear.) and I promise if it hurts I'll stop. Keep your fingers crossed for me! :bigsmile:

Hope you all have a wonderful day! I'll keep you posted!

~a