October Whole 30 for Paleo/Primal Support Peeps

Options

Replies

• MUDDERinTRAINING
    MUDDERinTRAINING Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm super discouraged...

I started the Whole30 challenge on Monday (though we, as a family, have been eating loosely paleo for a month). I have been miserably hungry so far this week. I have been doing my best to limit carbs, but I am so sugar addicted I keep attacking the fruit bowl. Prior to this week I was a paleo baking fanatic; using monster amounts of dates and honey. With those taken away from me I feel so lost, lol.

Reading through the last few pages, it seems like everyone else is finding this way of eating to provide satiety fairly easily...I'm hoping that it's just an initial detox phase that is making me feel like I need to eat the whole kitchen! Could this be all it is, or am I doomed to hunger/sugar cravings forever?

PS...y'all have motivated me to check out our local CrossFit...and I'm really looking forward to it!
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    ResilientWoman - whant brand of liquid Stevia do you use? good job on the kettlebells! you're inspiring me to do 100 swings for tonight!

iluv2travel, I use NuNaturals but it's my first liquid Stevia and I'm open to trying others as well. DrBorkBork has touted the virtues of a Liquid Vanilla Stevia in more recipes than I can count and I'd be curious to find out if this is the same brand (e.g. NuNaturals) or if she found another.
  • racmac
    racmac Posts: 81
    Options
    I'm super discouraged...

I started the Whole30 challenge on Monday (though we, as a family, have been eating loosely paleo for a month). I have been miserably hungry so far this week. I have been doing my best to limit carbs, but I am so sugar addicted I keep attacking the fruit bowl. Prior to this week I was a paleo baking fanatic; using monster amounts of dates and honey. With those taken away from me I feel so lost, lol.

Reading through the last few pages, it seems like everyone else is finding this way of eating to provide satiety fairly easily...I'm hoping that it's just an initial detox phase that is making me feel like I need to eat the whole kitchen! Could this be all it is, or am I doomed to hunger/sugar cravings forever?

PS...y'all have motivated me to check out our local CrossFit...and I'm really looking forward to it!

Im new to this as well and i have been starving this week - especially the first 3 days and craving sweet foods.
    But and i must stress Im not following the whole lifestyle completely - I feel less hungry yesterday and today - so keep going you will get there.
  • EdelweissViola
    Options
    mudderintraining and racmac - When I "sugar detox," it usually takes 4 days. During that time, I am a monster and usually tell my husband that I am not responsible for the words that come out of my mouth. ;) After that, I feel amazing. You can do it!

Good morning, everyone!
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    ResilientWoman - whant brand of liquid Stevia do you use? good job on the kettlebells! you're inspiring me to do 100 swings for tonight!

iluv2travel, I use NuNaturals but it's my first liquid Stevia and I'm open to trying others as well. DrBorkBork has touted the virtues of a Liquid Vanilla Stevia in more recipes than I can count and I'd be curious to find out if this is the same brand (e.g. NuNaturals) or if she found another.

I haven't found this one in stores, I use Wisdom Natural Sweet Leaf line of liquid stevias. I like them so much better than the powders. My favorite is English Toffee.
  • jamk1446
    Options
    I'm super discouraged...

No, it will pass, especially if you can be really strict about it at first, giving in to the cravings perpetuates them. Make sure you are getting enough fat, that will help too.
  • jamk1446
    Options
    ?Hi all, are any of you not tracking food during this challenge as per the whole 30 site?
    it makes me nervous at the thought of not, but also not sure on what ratios to put in for each thing and cals so I can track on MFP if I want to. I did find a site, and it has me at quite high cals, but maybe ill just focus on eating the right things to hunger and not track.
    Starting weight:
    89 kg (196 lbs approx)
    158 cm tall (5 foot 2)

I am currently weight training 3 days, and 3 days of 20 mins of cardio (have been doing this for 2 weeks) but was doing a lot of classes at my gym before. Ive lost around 30 kg in the last 16 months, with about the same to go.

I don't really track closely anymore, 20/70/10 sounds like a good place to start. I do recommend eating intuitively but for some, with food cravings or disordered eating habits for example, your intuition may be skewed. I don't know if this applies to you, just throwing it out there. If you feel that applies to you, maybe track for a short time to get a feel for healthier eating patterns and then let it go once you know you can recognize what is working for you and what is not.
  • iluv2travel
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone!

Thank you ResilientWoman and jamk1446 for your liquid stevia suggestions. I did see NuNaturals online on iHerb and its about 5 bucks cheaper that buying it from the brand's actual website. I haven't seen that in stores either but I will checkout Whole Foods later to see if they carry Wisdom Natural and other brands. I want to try coconut oil and see how I like it so i'm hoping to grab a sample pack while i'm there.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!

If you are just starting and you find you are starving, get a jar of Nutiva's coconut manna and eat a tablespoon of it. It's pretty tasty and I can guarantee you that it will keep you satisfied for hours. I ate a tablespoon yesterday morning with breakfast at around 9:30 a.m. and it was 3:30 p.m. before I ate again. And I didn't have dinner last night either. I was satisfied.

Plus it's tasty!

I was craving Mexican food yesterday so I took some ground beef and cooked it with taco seasonings, put it in a bowl with lettuce and tomato and put cheese on top. It was so yummy I plan to have it again today for lunch.
  • jamk1446
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone!

Thank you ResilientWoman and jamk1446 for your liquid stevia suggestions. I did see NuNaturals online on iHerb and its about 5 bucks cheaper that buying it from the brand's actual website. I haven't seen that in stores either but I will checkout Whole Foods later to see if they carry Wisdom Natural and other brands. I want to try coconut oil and see how I like it so i'm hoping to grab a sample pack while i'm there.

iHerb also carries the Sweet Leaf line, that's where I buy from. Also much cheaper there than instore.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

I think Dr BorkBork is using Davinci's syrups and they are not stevia, but liquid splenda.

My favorite stevia whether in the liquid form or the powder form is Sweet Leaf and the liquid comes in a bunch of different flavors too.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Hey all. Sorry I have been MIA the past couple of days. Between Dr appointments and trying to go to work and keep up with household stuff I have been wiped out.

I am currently taking the Byetta that the Dr put me on and he said along with the Paleo plan that I should start losing weight on a regular basis again.

I am weighing in tomorrow even though your not supposed to because my Dr wants weekly updates on my progress.

Breakfast: Hardees Low Carb Breakfast Bowl

Lunch: Buffalo wings and salad

Supper: Grass Fed Chuck Roast, green beans and baby carrots.

Do whatever makes the most sense and the least stress to you. We're behind you 100%, don't forget that! Now I have to go research Byetta, I haven't heard of this one before. How goes the process of learning to give injections?

Thanks ResilientWoman!!

The Byetta is helping me with losing weight along with the low carb plan. I am kind of combining Paleo and Atkins (they are so close anyway). I am normally not one to count my calories or carbs, but for Dr accountability I am counting my carbs and even though I have been on the go, I am keeping to the low carb approach.

I am down 4 pounds since I started taking the Byetta injections. Last night made me sick though and it ended up making me purge my supper. My Fasting Blood Sugar is also normal after only 2 1/2 days of injections. It works FAST!!

I am excited. I purchased the Danskin 8 pound kettlebell last night and it came with a video. I can't wait to be able to try it out tomorrow morning before taking my dogs for a walk.

I am looking for other kettle bell workouts so if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!!
  • justamyagain
    justamyagain Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    So it has been about a week now. I am starting to feel fuller longer, and have actually had to remind myself to eat a couple of times. I feel like the quality of my sleep is better, but the quantity is still lacking.
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I was craving Mexican food yesterday so I took some ground beef and cooked it with taco seasonings, put it in a bowl with lettuce and tomato and put cheese on top. It was so yummy I plan to have it again today for lunch.

Thats what I had yesterday except sub the cheese for avocado chunks. It was SOOOOOOO good.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    TheGlen.. lol yes you read that correctly.. my husband and I have 8 kiddos ages 18-2.:bigsmile:
  • iluv2travel
    Options
    iHerb also carries the Sweet Leaf line, that's where I buy from. Also much cheaper there than instore.

Wow, I went to Whole foods and the Wisdom Natural brand was $13.99!!! I'm better off ordering online...
    I also grab a small pack of Artisana raw coconut oil and it tastes pretty good. I'll try cooking with it and see how it affects the taste of food. I'm starting to love iHerb, everything is cheaper plus no tax.
  • PrimalMorningMoon
    PrimalMorningMoon Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am in the process, really barely started, of changing to a pale lifestyle. This will be a great place to be accountable and learn. My first action is to organize the food supplies and make a grocery list. Fun stuff. My spouse eats horribly and HATES throwing stuff out. I will have to work around that...and he can eat all the non-paleo foods until they are gone. :) But I think I will make a food bank trip too...donating, of course.
  • AmbitionStrong
    AmbitionStrong Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm already shifted fully into a Primal diet, (no more taste for junk or sugar!) BUT I'm not losing lbs or inches. I DO weight train, so I am gaining strength, but it sure would be nice to see some LOSS!!!! I am just looking for others who eat this way!
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options

Thats what I had yesterday except sub the cheese for avocado chunks. It was SOOOOOOO good.

I need to learn to eat avocado. I can't get past the fact that it's what guacamole is made from and guacamole just reminds me too much of what was in my baby's diaper. Nasty! Today instead of the tomato I put some fresh salsa on top.
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options

Thanks ResilientWoman!!

The Byetta is helping me with losing weight along with the low carb plan. I am kind of combining Paleo and Atkins (they are so close anyway). I am normally not one to count my calories or carbs, but for Dr accountability I am counting my carbs and even though I have been on the go, I am keeping to the low carb approach.

I am down 4 pounds since I started taking the Byetta injections. Last night made me sick though and it ended up making me purge my supper. My Fasting Blood Sugar is also normal after only 2 1/2 days of injections. It works FAST!!

I am excited. I purchased the Danskin 8 pound kettlebell last night and it came with a video. I can't wait to be able to try it out tomorrow morning before taking my dogs for a walk.

I am looking for other kettle bell workouts so if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!!

Lauren Brooks Ultimate Body Sculpt and Conditioning with Kettlebells, Volume 1, 2 or 3 or she has a Kettlebell workshop video with Z-Health drills and Kettlebell instruction. She has amazing technique and the women I know who have studied Kettlebell drills just from her videos without getting a certified personal trainer/Kettlebell instructor have managed to stay safe learning them which is saying something. If you can find a cross-fit/kettlebell gym or an RKC/AKC certified Kettlebell instructor that's awesome. Lauren's videos are the next best thing to a live trainer, especially for safety and for beginners.

One caveat, if you have ever done any strength training before you will need a 12 kg/26 lb Kettlebell. An 8 lb Kettlebell is known in the industry as a 'doorstop'. When I first started, I was so deconditioned that I could barely lift a 4 kg/9 lb bell. This only lasted for a week or two, then I moved straight up to the normal size bell little girls start on in Russia, the 12 kg/26 lb bell. After 2 years. My go to bell is the 16 kg/35 lb bell and I finally have a pair of 12 kg/26 lb bells (52 lbs total) for paired bell exercises.

I'm about average for someone who has done it for only a year although I've been doing it over 2 years. I have progressed from deeply deconditioned with not athletic history to elite athlete in 2 years but am still way, way behind people who have had anything like a more average body. Hence, if you still have the receipt, you can always take it back. If not, it'll make a good doorstop one day soon.

Wherever you start with Kettlebells, just start. Their design is like nothing else in the health and fitness industry. A true test of their value is how rarely you see (if ever) anyone reselling them. They are passed down as an inheritance to children and grand children and I cannot imagine mine ever leaving the family. It took me over 6 months to save up for my first real bell from Dragon Door. I bought it through an RKC instructor and saved the shipping charges which are often more than the bell itself. You can also find AKC local instructors if you're lucky and their bells are awesome as well.

I love what they do for me when I use them. I love what they do for me afterward when I'm being a couch potato. Increased metabolism for 12-24 hours afterward will mean lower blood sugars for you during that time so be careful when you're first starting to keep an eye out for the shift. It'll blow you away! LOL I love how they've changed my health and how they've changed my income. I love that they are teaching my daughter fearlessness. At age 3 1/2, she started training. Remember that I've never trained in any physical discipline other than Tai Chi in my life and until recently knew next to nothing about them. My daughter started with the 4 kg/9 lb but quickly (age 4, at a weight of only 40 lbs herself) moved up to the 12 kg/26 lb for her Kettlebell deadlifts. She would do 200-400 deadlifts with the 12 kg bell before breakfast just for kicks and because she could get her training and Mandarin (counting) practice done at the same time.

If a 4 year old can do 200-400 deadlifts with a kettlebell at over half her body weight, what are all of you folk who haven't fallen in love with them doing??? Move slowly, frequently. Lift heavy things whether it's your body or a kettlebell or a truck tire. Play. Rest. Laugh. Love. We only get one body and one life (as far as I know, although I'd still trade this body in on one that never knew gluten if I could) so we might as well have fun with them!