Fit For Future Families - October 2011

Options
Welcome everyone!

This group is being started to lend support and motivation to those who are TTC, or plan to TTC.

Fit For Families is NOT for pregnant women, I would ask that you join one of our sister groups, (they're really great there!!). For people looking for general pregnancy support and not wanting to gain too much: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/332516-pregnancy-october-2011. For people who are VERY active and want to maintain that level while pregnant: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/332498-fit-fabulous-and-pregnant-october-2011

This group is very goal-oriented (no matter what your goals are) and I hope will be a place for you to come share your story and track your progress.
Check in is each Monday to keep us accountable over the weekend. Each week we set our own fitness or health goals, and the more suggestions the better!

Link to our last thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/305495-fit-for-future-families-september-2011

If you are new and want to join us, please give us some background on yourself. You can find all of ours on the August & September 2011 thread.

Job:
Length of time on the board:
Marital Status:
Length of time you've been with SO:
Do you have kids:
Length of time TTC:
Diagnosis:
Do you chart your BBT:
Do you use OPKs:
Are you on any meds for TTC:
Height:
Weight:
Goal Weight:
Strange fact about yourself:

Look forward to getting to know you!

Replies

• fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Yay - I'm first poster for (hopefully) my last month on this board - not that I don't love you ladies dearly but......I'd like to move on to worrying about gaining too much weight during pregnancy....LOL :laugh:

Yesterday was a good day for me although it started out very scarily. Friday night DH ran to the store and came out and the car wouldn't start....since he has early morning starts, I didn't think our weekend plans were going to work out. Looks like something that shouldn't have got wet. He got it towed home and after it stopped raining, the car started back up just fine. The plan is to do a full tune up this week anyways since we're home while it's light out - vacation this week!!! Yipee!!! Anyways, yesterday took DH's cousin and his family to the local fall fair. It was a late night because of the car issues we only got to the fair at around 6pm and then got the 2 year old home for 10ish....whoops, past her bedtime.

The whole time I was thinking to myself, next year, I will be walking around here with my little one. Overall a great day and since we were focused on keeping the little one active and happy, there was lots of running around. She's so cute though, because we only see her once every couple of months she really doesn't know our names - although she does recognize us....she was on one of the midway rides and kepts waving to me saying "Hi Lady" and to my DH "Hi GG" (which apparently stands for Good Girl....LOL he asked her why she was calling him GG though and she said, it means Good Guy). He carried her out of the fairgrounds and I overheard this conversation "Did you know you're my favourite little girl", "Yup!" LOL

And for being the fair and having all that fair food, it wasn't bad. I did have a caramel apple or at least shared one with DH (we have another one for today) and something quick to eat, but I was also chasing her through the crowds (four adults and a little girl.....means you're able to take turns playing where's waldo). Only downside is that now I'm not sure where the family is staying during our renewal: I get their point that it's probably better for DH's aunt and 5 year old cousin to stay with his aunt instead of us (so the kids have someone to play with everyday), but purely on a selfish standpoint, I really wanted Santa to come to our house for Christmas this year :frown: That's really what has me all excited...I'm going to get it all sorted out this weekend though because the plan is to completely get the extra spare room prepped for the guests this week during vacation and that would just make me sad if I did it and then no one stayed in it....
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Copyed from the last thread courtesy of Jalara. :)

flowerforyou First of all, Google is your friend! But be sure you take it with a grain of salt. We'll happily help you sort through it all!
    flowerforyou Best way to know your cycle is to track your Basal Body Temperature (BBT). Best website for this is www.fertilityfriends.com.
    flowerforyou Best place to get OPKs and HPTs (in bulk) and for cheap: www.early-pregnancy-tests.com or Amazon - buying in the store is too expensive! grumble
    flowerforyou And finally, because TTC has a secret language (okay, not really, but we're too lazy to write everything out), here's the basic abbreviations for you!

2WW - Two-week wait until time to take pregnancy test (approximately 14 days after ovulation)
    AF - Aunt Flo (menstruation)
    ART - Assisted Reproductive Technology
    AW- Attention *kitten*
    BCP - Birth Control Pills
    BBT - Basal Body Temperature
    BD - Big Deed (baby making sex)
    BFN - Big Fat Negative (home pregnancy test result)
    BFP - Big Fat Positive (home pregnancy test result)
    BIL - Brother-in-Law
    BRU - Babies R Us Store
    BW or B/W - Blood Work
    CD - Cycle day
    CM - Cervical Mucus
    D&C - Dilation & Curettage
    DD - Dear/Darling Daughter or Designated Driver
    DC - Dear/Darling Child
    DH - Dear/Darling Husband
    DPO - Days past ovulation
    DS - Dear/Darling Son
    EDD - Estimated Due Date
    ENDO - Endometriosis
    ER - Emergency Room
    ET - Embryo Transfer
    ETA- Edited to add
    EWCM - Egg White Cervical Mucus
    FET - Frozen Embryo Transfer
    FMU - First morning urine
    FRER - First Response Early Response
    FSH - Follicle Stimulating Hormone
    F/U - Follow-up
    FWIW- For What It’s Worth
    HCG - Human Chorionic Gonadotropin
    HPT - Home Pregnancy Test
    IBS - Irritable Bowel Syndrome
    ICSI - Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection
    IF - Infertility
    IMO- In My Opinion
    IMHO- In My Humble Opinion
    IRL- In Real Life
    IUI - Intra-uterine Insemination
    IVF - In Vitro Fertilization
    KU- Knocked Up
    LAP - Laparoscopy
    LH - Luteinizing Hormone
    LMP - Last Menstrual Period
    LO - Little one
    LP - Luteal phase
    LPD - Luteal Phase Defect
    M/C - Miscarriage
    MFI - Male Factor Infertility
    MS - Morning Sickness
    O - Ovulation
    OB - Obstetrician
    OB/GYN - Obstetrician/Gynecologist
    OHSS - Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome
    OP - Original Poster
    OPK - Ovulation Predictor Kit
    OTC - Over-the-counter
    PCOS (POS) - Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
    PID - Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
    PMS - Premenstrual Syndrome
    PNV - Prenatal vitamin
    POAS - Pee On A Stick
    PP- PostPartum or Previous Poster
    RE - Reproductive Endocrinologist
    S/A - Sperm/semen analysis
    SAHM - Stay At Home Mom
    SO- Significant Other
    TCOYF - Taking Charge of Your Fertility (book)
    TIA - Thanks in Advance
    TMI - Too Much Information
    TSH - Thyroid Stimulating Hormone
    TTA - Trying to Avoid
    TTC - Trying To Conceive
    US or u/s - Ultrasound
    UTI - Urinary Tract Infection
    VBAC - Vaginal birth after caesarian
    WBC - White Blood Cells
    WWYD- What Would You Do
    YI - Yeast infection
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Pam- thanks for starting the thread! Hopefully this is your last month with us, I'm praying everything goes well! I'm glad you had such a wonderful day yesterday with family.

Pantera- Thanks for copying over the abbreviations

Well I've had a fun day today- I pulled out all my halloween and fall decorations and decorated the house. I've been waiting 2 weeks for it to be socially acceptable to have these decorations out:laugh: I love how much it changes the look of the house without having to move any furniture. I'm officially in my 2WW my temps were up this morning. We did a great job with timing this month, but since I just ovulated I know it is too early to tell anything. I've been cramping all day so thats ovulation cramps. Tomorrow I'll need to go to the pharmacy to pick up a refill of progestrone. I've been horrible taking my multivitamins this month so my goal this week is to get back into take them daily my other goal is to get the DH to take his SA again (we'll see how that goes).

Totally unrelated- any other fans of Survivor and Amazing Race on the board? It is acrazy how having these shows on makes my week so much more enjoyable!
  • fitterpam
    Options
    I used to watch them both but have skipped out the last few seasons.....I might start again....I hope that you have timed it right!!!!!

Bought my witch Halloween costume today and hubs bought his. I find it difficult to find costumes so I typically don't dress up, but I found one that is - dare I say it - kind of short and sexy with an overlay so child appropriate too.....Looking forward to Halloween this year...
  • thedestar
    thedestar Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later :happy:
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Back from the retreat--calculating just how good/bad I did food-wise. Weigh-in tomorrow morning....ugh. :-)
  • MandaLee8908
    MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    TTC on hold for us for awhile. AF has decided to be a pain after making me think I might actually be regular for once...and I'm not preggo as far as I know. I suppose that was wishful thinking.

It's ok I guess (until my next mood swing) as working on our new house has been put on hold. :cry: I just find myself having issues lately with people who have babies or are pregnant. The other day, I had to do a bili check on a baby (I am a medical laboratory scientist for those who don't know), and when the patient left, i had to go to the bathroom because I was crying.

Seriously? WTH is wrong with me?! I have only been off BCP for a month! Maybe it's just my damn hormones. I HATE IT THOUGH! I find myself going into a super angry fit after a perfectly great day...just out of the blue...when I see a pregnant woman or a baby. It's frustrating! :mad: I don't want to be like this. And what's worse, i find myself venting to the only person IRL that understands right now...and I feel awful venting to her as she just miscarried about a month ago. She is soooo supportive and tries to cheer me up, but I feel like a horrible friend. :frown:

I really hope that working out at the Y will help these mood issues. DH is going to get sick of me. I am really trying to put on a happy face in hopes of convincing myself that I'm fine, but it's fooling everyone but me. :ohwell:
  • Smores18
    Smores18 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm checking in, sort of. I think right now I'm going to wait on making any goals until I know what the doctor says about my miscarriages. I will talk with him about exercise and weight loss and see what his opinion is to be sure I'm not doing anything to hurt my chances. I'm pretty sure I will have to take at least the next cycle off, they want me to take 3 off but I only have 3 more cycles of TTC before we have to stop for quite a while because I will be getting into my student teaching and don't really want to put that on hold because of going into labor. Anyway, I will see what the doc says on Wednesday and update my goals accordingly.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! Just a quick hello...I've been pretty MIA around here lately, but have been lurking here and there. September was a busy month, and I'm sure it'll just get busier for the rest of the year!

Hope everyone's week gets off to a good start!
  • 9Honey16
    9Honey16 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • thedestar
    thedestar Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Pam- Sounds like a really fun day! So exciting that this will (hopefully) be your last month with us!

AFM- Happy October everyone! Car shopping yesterday was EXHAUSTING! We ended up with a Chrysler Pacifica which I think all of us will really enjoy, and its big enough that our little family has plenty of room to grow. But since we have a new bill every month things are going to be extra tight (as if they weren't already) for the next while. Anyways, goals for this week are to try and exercise for 30 minutes 4 days, drink more water, and work on my mood with my hubby. Hope everyone has a great week!
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Morning all. Good news--I am back down to my pre-vacation weight from the first week in September--minus another .2 lbs. I'll take it. Now just gotta keep going in the right direction. I've changed my WW weigh-in day to Friday--I keep having all these points left over for the weekend, and then I think I undo much of the work I've done right before weigh-in. (I don't think I can use many of my weekly points and lose weight, since I'm technically right on the cusp of a healthy weight anyways.) So now I'm forcing myself to decide to use them at the beginning of the week if I'm going to use them, and hopefully the rest of the week will be filled with more stabalized eating. We'll see.

Babywise-still just holding till the beginning of a new cycle. I've had horrible aches and back pains the last few days. I think it is ovulation taunting me, or a bit of a bug. Either way, very annoying.

Fall appears to have arrived here. I gotta find my sweaters...
  • melissaforster07
    melissaforster07 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I responded to this on the last thread before I realized that we had moved to October...
    I have done lots and lots of research and if you want to stay away from medicated consistency, here are some medically proven ways to help. (Youère going to wish you never asked...LOL)

1. Avoid sugar. Sugar causes your body to go into insulin overdrive and when your body is producing insulin, it cannot process calories as effectively - leading to slow weight loss.

2. Avoid Xenoestrogens and Phytoestrogens. Xenoestrogens (literally "foreign estrogen") are man-made compounds that mimic the effects of natural estrogens in the body.Phytoestrogens (phyto meaning plant) are naturally occurring estrogenic compounds that are found in a variety of plant foods such as beans, seeds, and grains. These estrogen mimickers wreak havoc with the natural body chemistry we have and can lead to serious conditions (various cancers have been linked to increased estrogen or sometimes even excessive intake of estrogen mimickers) and abdominal weight gain. To avoid them, eat organic as much as possible, use natural cleaners in your home, only use BHA free plastics. As for which foods to avoid completely, at the top of the list are soy and caffeine.

3. De-stress and Exercise. I grouped these two together because they really do go hand in hand. I usually do a meditation while I am taking my walks. Just head out someplace quiet and do a 30 min walk. Focus on your breath - going in and coming out. Pay attention to the rhythm of your stride and enjoy the natural setting. By the time you have finished your walk, you will fell much more relaxed. Also most experts say that for PCOS, strength training is just as important as cardio, if not more so (depending on the study). Strength focused calisthenthics are perfect especially right after your walk. I do as much as I can (when I am not being lazy like now) as I can in 15 minutes and then use the final 15 minutes for some really great stretching (or yoga poses).

Hopefully this helps every get in the mood for focusing on the health. Best part is ALL of this can be done throughout your pregnancy because it is really low impact and if you start it now, youèll have more energy at the end of your pregnancy to spend with your child. This is about gaining a healthy lifestyle, not about losing a bunch of weight.

Thanks! I am relatively new to the PCOS world. I was diagnosed back in February and since then my lifestyle has been over haled. I have been doing a lot of the things you mentioned above...but I still have so much to learn. A lot of the reasons my husband and I are waiting until the Spring to officially TTC is because we want my body to be as healthy as possible before we start down that road. On the good days, I say that PCOS has really opened my eyes to a lot of things. I struggled with an eating disorder in high school/early college and never really learned a good relationship with food. PCOS has forced me to learn how to eat right, exercise, and had taught me a whole new lifestyle. Of course, everyday isn't good. There are some days that I am sad and just downright angry. I hate the way PCOS makes me feel when I slip and have a piece of pie...or whatever. Each day is a learning process for me for sure!! Keep the advice coming! :-)
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies - thank you for turning over the thread - I haven't had a chance this weekend.

School is crazy stupid busy and I have no life at all, and barely time to get on here. I've gained back everything I lost so as of today I am tracking on WW again - and faithfully. I packed a healthy lunch and starting tomorrow I will be going to the gym after school every day.

Wish I had more time - I don't though. Miss my girls and hugs to you all!
  • fitterpam
    Options
    Thedstar - Let me know how you enjoy it. I have the same issue with the extra payments (just as I'm trying to cut back on bills, here comes another monthly one.....ARGGGGG) which is why we've cut back to one car. I know it's going to be a hassle once we have kids, but we're getting bikes too so whoever has the kids at home can bike them to the store, the doctors or the library, etc.

Melissa - glad to hear that you've changed so much. Don't beat yourself up for occasional indulgences. They aren't completely taboo - you can have a piece of pie once in a while and not kill yourself too much (just don't expect a loss that day). It's never going to be an easy road and I can tell you that my taste for junk food diminished dramatically when I cut the sugar - I can't finish a McDonalds meal anymore. It's never going to be "changed" either though - I fell off the wagon close to the beginning of the summer and still am struggling with the snacking and the cravings and the junk!!!

Karen - YAY on the loss!!!!! Sounds like WW is doing its thing for you!!! It was really cold here on the weekend - and I didn't take a sweater with me to the fair and almost froze my arms off!!!

Jalara - We're in the same boat on the gain perspective again. Your school is definitely more important - we miss you too!!!!!! *hugs*

AFM: Today's weigh in was 246.9.....ARGGGGG So today I am starting to track again - properly and make sure to get LOTS of exercise. Today also coincidentally falls on the same day as my first day of vacation and it looks like the first day off AF in almost 3 weeks. Based on what I can tell, here is what happened. The pill triggered a light bleed that had nothing to do with my AF. AF was set to start last Thursday and.....last Thursday was definittely like a day 1 for me, so now I'm confused. Do I called them on my counted day 30 (from the light bleed) to start progesterone to induce a day 1 or do I wait another 2 weeks for it to start naturally? Guess I'm calling the clinic today
  • pixieofdoom
    pixieofdoom Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss Smores
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Mind if I join? I'm just starting TTC for the first time, so I can use all the support and advice I can get! Here's a little bit about me:

Where you live: Washington, DC
    Job: Attorney
    Length of time on the board: 7 months
    Marital Status: Married
    Length of time you've been with SO: 6 years
    Do you have kids: No
    Length of time TTC: Just starting now.
    Diagnosis: None
    Do you chart your BBT: No
    Do you use OPKs: No
    Are you on any meds for TTC: No
    Height: 5'6"
    Weight: 131
    Goal Weight: 125
    Strange fact about yourself: I get lightheaded at the sight (and sometimes just the thought) of blood. I guess I'm going to have to get over that one or have very accident-averse kids!
  • meggamix
    meggamix Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Hey all! Can you believe it's already OCTOBER? Whoa!

I took my last Provera last Thurs and I'm supposed to call the doc on CD1 so I can go in for an US I think on CD3. I'm so worried that I'm going to misinterpret CD1! Yesterday I had some pretty dark spotting, not sure what counts as D1 anymore....
  • baloney17
    baloney17 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Happy October. Thanks for putting up all the abbreviations for what everyone is talking about. One that I'm still not sure of is AMF. I know it has to do with the person who is posting but I'd like to know the specific words. Thanks all!
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Nancy, thanks for putting the link on the other board. I totally forgot that a new thread would be started!

Happy Monday everyone! I just wanted to pop on and say hello! I will probably not be on here much in the next month or two. We are taking at least a month off from TTC so that I can get my shoulder treated. If at the end of the month it still hurts/hurts again I'll be trying to scheduel surgery. My friend who used to be a prenatal nurse advised against surgery if there's any possibility that I could get pregnant so I'll be schedueling it for right about when AF should be appearing that way I will know for certain I'm not pregnant and I'll be laid up for a few weeks after so I'll probably miss my ovulation for the following month. I definitely want to get this taken care of before having a kiddo! If putting my shirt on hurts I can only imagine how it would feel to pick up a baby right now! *Pout*

I hope you all have a fantastic day! good luck and baby dust to all!