Sexy In Six R-1 Results, R-2 Week One! *closed group*

Options

Replies

• Jarvis95
    Jarvis95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Have you tried it on an english muffin??? way lower cal and still pretty good :D
    Monday's Introduction... I am Isobel, age 59. One of these days I promise I will properly introduce myself over and above the info I have on my profile but I often come online at night and my brain is kinda mushy right now. I couldn't find the thread for a couple of days as I hadn't bookmarked it and my mushbrain wasn't sending me in the right direction to find it agin, lol

Tuesday: I am on the Black team GO BLACK!! First I had a picture of my kitty, then of a lunar eclipse, then on Sunday before church I had my hubby take a picture of me in my one and only black top. I am a "summer" if I remember correctly :p and I don't wear a lot of black.

Wednesday: If I could never ever have one again in my life, I would really miss Tim Hortons breakfast biscuits with bacon . However even though I could work one into my eating plan if I wanted, I don't t end to want to waste a bijillion calories on that one food item so haven't had one in a long time.

Thursday: New healthy food item actually is also a breakfast item. I love ricotta cheese (which I had previously only ever bought once to use in a lasagna for a change and didn't know what to do with the rest of it!) Now for breakfast I often have ricotta cheese, drizzled with a little liquid honey and then mix in whatever fruit is available, blueberries, peach, pear, raspberries, strawberries, whatever.. Mmm mm good!
  • lwdllc
    lwdllc Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thursday QOTD

I dont substitute good full fat ice cream with all the fixins. That is just an occasional reward, But I make my own pizza, refrigerated pizza dough, fresh roma tomatoes and mozzarella cheese, pesto sauce and maybe italian turkey sausage - on the grill, still pretty high in calories but So delish, 2 pieces paired with my homemade cesear salad :)
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    thursdays question:

I can't do much about my french fries, but I am also obsessed with starbucks, so I have them make my coffee with non-fat milk instead of whole, and leave out the whip cream =)
  • ejb245
    ejb245 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thursday QOTD: What have you found as a healthy replacement for your favorite unhealthy foods?

I don't know if I've really found a "replacement" for the unhealthy things that I love. I just eat a bowl of green beans with lots of non-salt seasoning instead of chips when I'm hungry at night. The crunch helps. And I love green beans, so it's a win-win.
  • dezedeze
    dezedeze Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thursday QOTD: A healthy replacement for egg rolls???? I suppose Viatnamese egg rolls...they tend to have more veggies like spinach, etc in them with rice instead of wheat wontons.
  • lablovr108
    lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Thursday QOTD: Okay ladies, this ties in with Wednesday's QOTD. Most of us have foods we are not willing to give up or feel sad about having to give up. What have you found as a healthy replacement for your favorite unhealthy foods?

My healthy replacement for the donuts that I love so much are Vitatops. Every Thursday someone brings donuts into work. I bring my chocolate Vitatop and heat it up in the microwave. I usually only eat these on Thursdays so that they stay a treat for me. For the most part, they help keep me out of the donuts.
  • drgirl1023
    drgirl1023 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thursday QOTD

One of my favorite foods is Italian Bread toasted with Parkay Butter :)!!! Since I am trying to lose weight I now have replaced Italian Bread with weight watchers wheat bread and with I can't believe is butter - lol.
  • 160poundgirl
    Options
    THURSDAY QOTD

I refuse to drink anything other than whole milk so i skip the cereals and just drink the milk :):)
  • StacyAS999
    StacyAS999 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thursday QOD:

I have found that I love the Orowheat or similar sandwich thins for sandwiches. They have my favorite parts of the bread (the crust) and only 100 calories, so I can splurge on real cheese! I'm also a fan of Skinny Cow ice cream.
  • emilytgs24
    emilytgs24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thursday's question. Cheese for me is something i refuse to give up but I have found that if I use stronger cheese i use less. So feta and blue cheese have been the favorites lately! I use feta on my tacos even!!! more of a punch than cheddar cheese. Also i put the cheese on top-never in anything anymore-so that the flavor doesn't get lost.
  • slender_sunshine
    Options
    Thursday QOTD: Okay ladies, this ties in with Wednesday's QOTD. Most of us have foods we are not willing to give up or feel sad about having to give up. What have you found as a healthy replacement for your favorite unhealthy foods?

Well, I haven't really found a healthy alternative for fries, but I make a healthier version of chicken fettucine using squash for the sauce.
  • slender_sunshine
    Options
    My healthy replacement for the donuts that I love so much are Vitatops. Every Thursday someone brings donuts into work. I bring my chocolate Vitatop and heat it up in the microwave. I usually only eat these on Thursdays so that they stay a treat for me. For the most part, they help keep me out of the donuts.

Those look great, but they're kind of expensive on their website. Is there somewhere to get them cheaper? I wonder if they could be homemade somehow...?
  • jellybean1971
    jellybean1971 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Thursday QOTD: What have you found as a healthy replacement for your favorite unhealthy foods?

I'm not sure there is a healthy replacement for chocolate or red wine. If someone knows of one let me know.
  • Bella1hud
    Bella1hud Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Friday's QOTD: People often think that eating healthy to lose weight or maintain has to be bland and boring. That is so not true! I daresay that I have been enjoying the foods that I am eating since I've been on MFP far more than whatever I was mindlessly stuffing myself with before I started MFP. I love the suggestions and recipes that others share and my meals are always enjoyable.

So, Friday's question is, what is your favourite recipe or meal suggestion that you have found since you've been on MFP?

I have several, I am posting one that I really enjoy when we want to have something special...it is fantastic over asparagus, or in eggs benedict...

MOCK HOLLANDAISE SAUCE

Makes 6 servings, 41 cal per serving

1/4 cup instant nonfat milk powder
    2 TBSP lemon juice
    1 egg yolk
    1 TBSP cornstarch
    1/2 tsp salt
    Freshly ground pepper
    1/2 c cup water
    1 TBSP unsalted butter

1. In a small saucepan, whisk together first 6 ingredients. Add in water and mix thoroughly. Cook over medium heat, whisking continually, till thickened.
    2. Don't boil. Remove from heat and add in butter, mixing well. Serve hot.
    3. Makes approx a cup

Serving Size 34g
    Calories 41
    Calories from Fat 17 41%
    Total Fat 1.96g 2%
    Saturated Fat 1.24g 5%
    Trans Fat 0.0g
    Cholesterol 6mg 2%
    Sodium 222mg 9%
    Potassium 97mg 3%
    Total Carbs 4.26g 1%
    Dietary Fiber 0.0g 0%
    Sugars 2.72g 2%
    Protein 1.85g 3%
  • Jarvis95
    Jarvis95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I tried to write for thursday earlier today but i was on a train and the wifi sucked!! sorry :(

Replacements: skinny cow ice cream, nestle mini ice cream sandwiches, cheese string, thin hot dog buns, lindt dark chocolate...three squares are 150 cals. Real indiana popcorn...you can have like 3 cups of the sea salt popcorn for 140!
  • klyvers512
    klyvers512 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thursday: I eat a lot of steamed veggies now, but add some cheese to make them taste better :)

Friday: Recipe....from txifonly (here on MFP)

Hubby and daughter both enjoyed this special treat! 131 Calories per serving ain't too bad either.

Oreo Cream Dessert - Serves 12 @ 131 calories each.

Ingredients:
    9 Reduced Fat Oreo Cookies
    3 Cups Fat Free Milk
    8 oz Cool Whip Lite
    1 pkg Jello Sugar Free Fat Free instant pudding
    Spray butter

Crumble cookies in a food processor and pour/press on the bottom of a 13 x 9 pan. Squirt 10 sprays of butter over the top to help "hold" them in place.

In a bowl, combine milk, pudding and cool whip (I used vanilla pudding but I will try chocolate next time). Pour over crust and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.

Note: I used the 3 cups of milk as it calls for but next time I will probably cut that back to 2.5 or 2.75 cups to make the dessert more firm and easier to serve.

Calories: 131 per serving.

INGREDIENTS CALORIES CARBS FAT PROTEIN SUGAR FIBER
    Oreo - Sandwich Cookies - Reduced Fat, 9 cookies 450 81 14 3 42 3

Jell-O (Jello) - Sugar & Fat Free Vanilla Instant
    Pudding (Mix Only), 1 container (1 pkg (10g) ea.) 100 24 0 0 0 2

Kraft - Lite Cool Whip, 0.5 container (150 tbsp ea.) 750 113 38 0 38 0

Lucerne - Fat Free and Lactose Free Milk, 3 cup 270 36 0 24 33 0

I Cant Believe Its Not Butter - Original Spray, 10 sprays 0 0 0 0 0 0

Add Ingredient

Total: 1570 254 52 27 113 5
    Per Serving: 131 21 4 2 9 0
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Friday QOTD: Favorite Recipe...

Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal (my tweaked version)

1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oat (cooked per instructions)
    2 tbsp pumpkin puree
    2 egg whites
    sprinkle cinnamon
    sprinkle pumpkin pie spice
    1 tsp brown sugar
    1/4 cup 1% milk

1 minute before the oats are finished, whisk in egg whites. Then add pumpkin and spices, including brown sugar. Pour into a serving bowl and add milk.

Calories- 248 Carbs- 39 Fat- 4 Protein- 15 Fiber- 7 Sodium- 145
  • lwdllc
    lwdllc Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    ok since fall is coming one of my favorite foodie weapons to have around the house is SOUP! I can make a ton, freeze it and its cheap and soooooo delis - so here is one of my favorites - soooo easy - its from Cooking Light - I usually use dried herbs and leave out the spinach if I'm going to freeze this soup, I ad the spinach per serving.

Sausage and Spinach Soup

Fresh herbs are added after the soup cooks so they'll retain their bright color and flavor. You can substitute 1 teaspoon dried herbs for each tablespoon fresh, but add them with the tomatoes.

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients

10 ounce sweet turkey Italian sausage
    Cooking spray
    1 cup prechopped onion
    2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
    1/2 cup water
    1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
    1 (14.5-ounce) can organic stewed tomatoes, undrained (such as Muir Glen)
    1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    2 cups baby spinach
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
    2 tablespoons grated fresh Romano cheese

Preparation

Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage in a large saucepan coated with cooking spray over high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Add onion and 2 teaspoons garlic to pan; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup water, beans, tomatoes, and broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Uncover and cook for 3 minutes or until slightly thick. Remove from heat, and stir in spinach, basil, and oregano. Ladle 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 4 bowls, and sprinkle each serving with 1 1/2 teaspoons cheese.

Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving
    Calories: 261
    Calories from fat: 30%
    Fat: 8.6g
    Saturated fat: 2.8g
    Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 2.5g
    Protein: 20.9g
    Carbohydrate: 23.1g
    Fiber: 5.4g
    Cholesterol: 62mg
    Iron: 3.4mg
    Sodium: 842mg
    Calcium: 105mg
  • anettabon
    anettabon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For Thursday's question, it's not exactly a substitute, but I've been stalking the posts on eatingwell.com, some of my favorites:
    Gnocchi, so good! http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/skillet_gnocchi_with_chard_white_beans.html
    Oven "fried" fish and chips: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/oven_fried_fish_chips.html

For Friday, favorite recipe, I love this side dish of roasted broccoli (I always leave the olives and capers out though), it's so quick and easy:
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/mediterranean_roasted_broccoli_tomatoes.html
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    Fridays question
    I struggled with this one, as I'm a college student and a vast majority of my meals come from A. the freezer, B. a box, or C. a can.
    but I do love my crock pot, and since it's fall, (even though it's 80 here, for some reason) I thought that this would be perfect

2-3 chicken breasts
    1 can of cream of chicken soup
    chicken broth
    quartered red potatoes
    carrots

I put the chicken in the bottom, fill the crock pot about 1/2 full with potatoes and carrots, add the cream of chicken soup, and add enough broth to cover everything. Start it around 8-9 am and it's ready for dinner, super easy =)