South Beach Diet Support and Chat Thread!

Options
123457»

Replies

• nannabannana
    Options
    bump
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Found another good website for SB recipes

http://www.southbeachcenturyclub.com/index.php
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

I am a little nervous to move into Phase 2 next week. Seems a little extreme to add in 3 fruits and 3 starches a day all at the same time. Thoughts?
    Oh, yikes, Babs, no, don't add all those back at once! In fact, take it veeeerrry slowly. And you may find that you don't add back 3 of both at all, or at least not on a consistently daily basis.

To the key to adding back the fruits and grains is to do it one at a time, and take a day or two to check out your body's response to that food. Dr. A suggested starting with a fruit like an apple or a serving of berries (both really healthy fiber and nutrients wise, fairly low GI). Add that one serving, and maybe eat that same food the next day too. See if you have any cravings (the feeling that you HAVE to eat even tho you know you can't be hungry yet). Certain foods are just problems for certain people. With me, it's peaches. If I eat them, I'm going to have cravings. Other people have no problems at all with them. Anyway, after a couple of days of that, add in a grain, and most SBD "veterans" suggest a simple whole grain, like a serving of oats or brown rice or whatever rather than bread, just to ease your body back into processing these foods. The next day, you might change out the fruit, but keep to one serving. Go thru several foods in this fashion, paying attention to what your body is telling you. Gradually add in a second serving of one or the other, then a few days later, add in the 2nd serving of the other. I think because fruits and grains tend to be higher in calories, some people find their weight loss stalls if they go back to 3 servings each of grain and fruit. I tend to end up at 2 servings of fruit, and 2 of grain, with 3 occasionally, like when I want a couple slices of pizza w/whole wheat crust for supper.

If you take things slowly like this, you run much less chance of "shocking" your body by throwing too much back at it at once. Sometimes the first couple of weeks on P2 may be wonky weight wise anyway as your body settles in, but things will even out and then it'll be great! :)
  • healthybabs
    Options
    Thanks Jewels for setting me straight on that, totally makes sense to add them back gradually. Don't know what I was thinking about !! Going to plan carefully for next week. I think I will put the carb and fruit on my diary and then plan the rest of the day around that. Me thinks a homemade 100% whole wheat personal pizza with a big salad sounds great for Saturday supper!
  • healthybabs
    Options
  • Poniesarepretty
    Poniesarepretty Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    As anyone tried SB and had success with PCOS symptoms? I have a "mild case" of PCOS and my DR suggested that i reduce my carb intake....SB looks like it might fit the bill. atkins is just too restrictive for me i am trying to find something more balanced.
  • healthybabs
    Options
    As anyone tried SB and had success with PCOS symptoms? I have a "mild case" of PCOS and my DR suggested that i reduce my carb intake....SB looks like it might fit the bill. atkins is just too restrictive for me i am trying to find something more balanced.

I don't have PCOS but I can tell you that I have tried Atkins and it was too restrictive for me as well plus didn't really fit my health needs. Take a look at my blog post above, I have alot of links in there that talk about South Beach, food lists of what you can and can not have and also some recipe links to see if those are the kinds of meals that are sustainable for you. Feel free to take a look at my food diary. My first two weeks were quite successful and I am in the next phase and feeling great. South Beach is not really a low carb diet, but it is a diet rich in good carbs which are loaded with fiber, lean proteins, and low fat dairy and eventuallly in phase 2 the addition of some more carbs and fruit. I love it because that is how we like to eat so not a massive change for us. Good luck!!
  • maddiecab
    maddiecab Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm starting phase one today at 171 pounds. Hubby out of town for a week so it might help that I dont have to cook dinner:smile: Just returned from spring break vacay and I was shocked to see myself in the photos. Here we go......Tina
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Bump... Is anyone still active on here?
  • CearaFiyalady
    Options
    Hey everyone, I'm new to my fitness pal and looking for support and motivation. I just started south beach phase one today and am hoping to be successful! ...And NEED to be successful...I scheduled a photo shoot to start my portfolio, and have had to push the date back a month already. Not only is it unprofessional, but disheartening. I worked so hard to go from 152 to 115, and have put on 9 pounds in the last month...instead of losing the ten I was supposed to. :( I'm living in NY right now, so the access to carbs and my weakness...CHOCOLATE...are out of control, and slightly dangerous ;) Anyone else doing phase one? This is my second attempt. The first, I made it cheat free for 10 days and lost maybe 7 pounds or so. BUT I kept it all off :) Thus, my thinking that south beach is the way to go for permanent and healthy weight loss. I have an inCREDibly hard time with cravings for sweets and the whole 'phase one stops cravings by stabilizing blood sugar' thing unfortunately dosnt work for me :/ Anyone have craving issues? P.S. I NEED FRIENDS! ADD ME :)
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    hi, i sent u a message would be nice to have an sbd friend, i start tomorrow Woo hoo I have been doing a low carb high protein thing but cant seem to get the mix rite, and am sick of eggs! so bought the book at the weekend, so phase one here we go, lets do it. :)
  • smittenkitten4
    Options
    My fiance and I have been on South Beach since the end of June, going strong on Phase 2. I didn't see the big results during Phase 1 like he did, but I still lost some and I don't have cravings most of the time. He still struggles with wanting fast food, I still have times where I could eat half a pound of mashed potatoes and not blink, but neither of us has fallen off the wagon too badly. So far I've lost 30 lb and my fiance has lost 41, so it's working for us! Feel free to add me as a friend, I leave my food diary open in case anyone wants to see what South Beach looks like in real life.
  • Nita523
    Nita523 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 7 of South Beach. I've been doing a terrible job at tracking my food in MFP, but I've vowed to get back to it this week :) A few fello SBD friends would be nice!
  • KH9107
    KH9107 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi all! My doctor recommended I be on the South Beach Diet because of the way a medication I am on reacts with starches so I'm giving it a try. I had lost a lot of pounds years ago with Atkins, so I know I can do it! Thanks in advance for the support!
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I received a phone call from my doctor today because my blood work came back with high cholesterol overall and really bad LDL numbers. She suggested South Beach for me as well. I picked up the original and supercharged books at lunch today and would love some company along the way.
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Hi I thought Id post an update on here, I started SBD P1 25th september, I was 74.8 kg part one was hard at times, but I got through (I missed fruit) anyway part 2 is very easy, I sometimes catch myself slipping up, but it has changed my way of eating and has become a lifestyle for me and my family. They now all eat brown bread, pasta etc which is a good thing.

Anyway in the 6 weeks Ive been doing it Im now 68.5 kilos and very close to my goal, so I thought Id let you all know it works!!! :))) Happy south beaching everyone xx :smile: (thats 6 kg or about 14 lbs in 6 weeks yippee)
  • thelawwon
    thelawwon Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm down 17 1/2 since about 10/6...all on the south beach diet!