Ladies: Why so catty?

1235»

Replies

• Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    "Hey Generalisation, why so generalisation?"

well that's kind of a catty way to not answer this question. ;)

I prefer 'sarcasm' ;)

And my response was somewhat similar! lol
  • jenscot25
    jenscot25 Posts: 124 Member
    I think it has to do with jealousy and low self esteem. When you're ok with yourself and your world, you just don't care as much about what others look like/do/say.

So true.. I know when I've caught myself being like that it is because of my low self esteem. Kind of like, get them before they get you. I'm really trying to work on my whole being, not just my weight.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    :smile:
    Perhaps they are less likely to just throw down because of their manicures? :laugh: :tongue:
    Best profile pic ever.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    I never insult my own dignity by willingly throwing myself at a woman lesser than myself. I'm a smart alec, yes, and I could be a bit less blunt-but when it comes down to it a lot of people just can't pick their fights right. My solution is to look them straight in the eye (knowing I learned Kenpo from my Cousin) and ask them to hit me; they'll either realize how childish they are, they'll know how confident you are and begin to like you, or they'll hit you (in which case I usually own them anyway). I'm no Cat...'cept at parties ;)

That will go over great in the workplace. Good luck. :laugh:
    Don't know if I said that comment to the right place. But I was talking about yours.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,069 Member
    I would never work with people I would ever need to get smart with, so it's not an option ^_^

Not trying to insult you but your age is really showing. Unless of course you plan to own your own business and can fire annoying people.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Perhaps they are less likely to just throw down because of their manicures? :laugh: :tongue:

I thought OMG this guy look like LL! Was drooling! LOL!!!

I used a picture of someone less attractive than myself so I don't get hit on too much

hahaha...so what do you REALLY look like??
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,605 Member
    OK, so to summarise the thread:

Not all women do it. (Indeed, I know very few women I'd describe as either catty or *****y. Most of the women I know, professionally and socially, are supportive, inclusionary and kind.) And as has been pointed out on this thread, many men behave in catty, *****y and unpleasant ways.

i.e. some people are catty, and some people are not. I don't see what sex difference has to do with it.

I'm left trying to work out why on earth this stereotype of the '*****y' woman remains so resilient.

It couldn't possibly be that we're just basically labouring over the same tired old sexist stereotypes that should have been put to bed a few decades ago?

Perish the thought!

And I'm going to lose all respect for anyone who tries to use some Pinkeresque social evolutionary psych nonsense to support what is essentially an ideological position on sex difference. So don't even try, people....
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,069 Member

I used a picture of someone less attractive than myself so I don't get hit on too much

hahaha...so what do you REALLY look like??

6'2" 190, slim build (thanks to MFP), short brown hair, blue eyes
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Yeah, I don't agree that it is always the women either. You might be onto something with the self esteem thing... perhaps a lot of overweight people have poor self esteem? Which would perhaps explain why I tend to find that men are as 'catty' if not more catty on these forums than women?

To be honest in 'real life' (as much as I hate the expression because I am still real and living my life as I am typing this) I do tend to notice it more from women but I think that is because I care more about what women think. For example if a man told me he thought my top looked stupid, who gives a crap? If a woman did, I'd probably think it was a pretty catty thing to say - the difference for me in these 2 situations is only based on me actually caring about the comment they have made, it's the exact same comment!

Also, ironically I find that usually the most catty people are the first to ask 'why do people have to be so catty?' but of course this is a huge generalisation and I've seen nothing of the OP to make me think this is the case with them :)
  • livnlite
    livnlite Posts: 520
    I never insult my own dignity by willingly throwing myself at a woman lesser than myself. I'm a smart alec, yes, and I could be a bit less blunt-but when it comes down to it a lot of people just can't pick their fights right. My solution is to look them straight in the eye (knowing I learned Kenpo from my Cousin) and ask them to hit me; they'll either realize how childish they are, they'll know how confident you are and begin to like you, or they'll hit you (in which case I usually own them anyway). I'm no Cat...'cept at parties ;)

Are you saying, that only by intimidation do you get people to "realize how childish they are" or " begin to like you"??? Asking them to hit you, to show THEM how childish THEY are??? Am I missing something here?

Did you REALLY mean to say that? Hmm .. I never woulda thought confrontational Intimidation and violent tactics would work when trying to get along with people .. I never would a thunk it.

Huh ... I must be really outta touch for one thing ... I wouldn't even consider that type of behaviour when I'm offering cordial friendship or just simply trying to co-exist with my co-workers AND .. I am kinda still unclear about the term "Woman lesser than myself" .. Does that mean that someone is shorter? I'm baffled.
  • atlraine
    atlraine Posts: 172 Member
    [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Interesting!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Unfortunately I don't care enough to bother with what other women are wearing, doing, not doing, how they look, what purse they have, what shoes they wear, etc. I try to be nice regardless but if I happen to run into a woman who thinks she is the next coming of Christ, I just roll my eyes, laugh and move on.