I know this has got to be a rare post

Options
1235»

Replies

• beautybrainsbooty
    beautybrainsbooty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    First, super proud of you taking care of the kids!!! Next, you have to put YOU first. I know thats hard with little ones, but its something you must do. Even If it means getting up at 5am (like me) you just do it. My boys are practically men and I still have to make a choice to put me first and be mom after that. Make that time for you and workout at home. Invest in some dvd's, weights and get after it. Seriously, you CAN do it, I am proof. Add me if you need support. Be well~~~~~
  • Lifting_chick
    Lifting_chick Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I know Zilla very well and have for years, and he is a great father that does have a hard time asking for help. His kids are very lucky to have him but also they could help more, he just never asks them to. And he does have people that care for him and would help but unless you force help on him, he never asks for it. Well when our girls get done with school softball things will settle down and you and I are gonna meet up and walk or run. And you know I will gladly take the kids for you to go work out with the guys. But you need to learn to ask the people that care about you for help sometimes :)
  • Lifting_chick
    Lifting_chick Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    :smile: I know Zilla very well and have for years, and he is a great father that does have a hard time asking for help. His kids are very lucky to have him but also they could help more, he just never asks them to. And he does have people that care for him and would help but unless you force help on him, he never asks for it. Well when our girls get done with school softball things will settle down and you and I are gonna meet up and walk or run. And you know I will gladly take the kids for you to go work out with the guys. But you need to learn to ask the people that care about you for help sometimes :)
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    "Dude, you don't do laundry, and yard work every day. [/quote]

thinking the Dude who wrote this, does not have kids...
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I became a single parent a year ago. My husband was abusing our daughter, then committed suicide when caught. So I am TRULY alone, as it seems you are. It's very easy to get frustrated and stressed out, so I get where you are coming from. That makes it doubly important for you to get your exercise in one way or another; exercise helps tremendously with stress because of the release of endorphins, not to mention it will help you sleep better so those few hours you get will be more beneficial.

In my case, I tried working out at home. I have a 12 year old daughter and a 13 year old son who has developmental disabilities and Tourette's Syndrome. The minute I walked in the door, they were shoving papers in my face, asking when dinner was, blah, blah, blah...you probably know exactly what I'm talking about! There was no working out at home after work. I don't work out well in the evening because I'm tired from work. I have trouble getting up in the morning; I have to eat at least a little something before I work out, then let it settle before I work out. So I sat down and took a hard look at what I needed to do. I was new in town (moved to be near family), so I didn't know what was available in my area. I found an Anytime Fitness two blocks from work. I signed up for a two-week free trial, and yesterday I joined. It's $29 a month, but with a little tweaking of the budget, I was able to find the funds to do it. Some days I go on my lunch break and eat at my desk, other days I go after work. My daughter and son both help out at home (he can't do as much because of his limitations, but he takes out the trash). I started buying them lunchables that are easy to pack so they can pack their own lunches. They each fold their own laundry, even my disabled son. His is not always folded the best, but basically, my feeling is that anyone who fusses about the wrinkles in his clothes can come to my house and iron them for me (My version of ironing is to mist it down with water and throw it in the dryer!). My bathrooms do not get a scrubbing from top to bottom every week; some weeks they just get a quick "wipe everything down" cleaning. And you know what? No one would say my bathrooms are dirty. My daughter is learning to do some things in the kitchen, and she helps with the bathrooms (now if I could just get her to clean her room!).

The important thing is to talk to your kids. They are old enough to help out. Tell them your problem, and see if they have any ideas. Kids sometimes see things in such uncomplicated ways, while we adults want to make everything hard. Your kids may have some good ideas on how they can help Dad get in his workout. They love you, and I'm sure they want you to be healthy for them, too!

Kudos to you for being there for your kids! Keep your chin up, and you will find a solution. You just have to look at your situation and see if there is anything that can be cut out or something you can allow someone else to do for you or help you with. It's not easy, but it's so worth it in the end.
  • JanetTerry
    JanetTerry Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I recommend getting you a $9 workout dvd from walmart! Just started Jillian Michaels 30 day shred.... it's like only 20 minutes long but intense. Can ya spare $20? All you need is hand weights!! Theres other dvds out there too or stuff online! I can speak first hand tho... Jillian packs it in 20 minutes. She is not easy on you!!
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I must say..hats off to you for being a dad in that situation. It's usually always heard of as the other way around. That being said, I'm a single mom who works full time and goes to school part time...& there is a way to make it work!!

I usually work out on my lunch hour, or right after work (arranging it with the babysitter of course; and because I'm NOT a morning person). When I do make it to the gym, it's all business from there!! Just yesterday I knew I didn't have much time but was determined and rushed in, only got in a mile run, and rushed out; being there a total of 20 minutes!! To me, thats better than nothing!!
    Sometimes I've even been known to workout around 10 pm or 11 after my son has gone to bed (tough, but you do what you gotta do.) By now my son has just gotten used to it being a part of my life. Usually I run and let him ride his bike along with me. (This works really great for fun/spending time together.) Some days I just do workout video's at home if I can't make it to the gym. Sometimes I've even taken my son to the park and while he played with the kids I ran cirlces around the playground/ran up and down the stairs of the equipment, did pull ups. Playing tag at the playground is a GREAT workout also!

If there's a will there's a way. You just have to find what works best for you, and even sometimes find the 'little' ways in life to make it work. Best of luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • pink59eldo
    Options
    I'm not a single dad buuut...lol I am a single mom and finding the time is very hard. As children get older they have more and more homework that we need to help them with, along with their chores. Then comes our jobs, dinner, and I'm going to school full time. I get up very early while my son is still asleep and work out in the yard (which can be tough in the Washington rain). I take my mat outside when it's dry and when it rains I do all cardio. Good thing I have a big back yard. This way you are with the kids and can hop in the shower just in time before they wake up. Also after my son goes to bed I'll do a video workout like 30 Day Shred or Abs. I know it's hard to find the time, but it's worth it! :)
  • TamJohn2011
    TamJohn2011 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've gotten some great advice on how to fit exercise into your very busy life. I've been a single parent for years. Its hard to find time for yourself but you can do it. Hang in there!
  • pink59eldo
    Options
    luv_lea: I really liked all of your examples of fitting in a workout, no matter how much time you have. It is hard and it's true, the kids do get used to it. My son is getting used to it being a part of my life and every so often he'll do part of a video with me. It's cute and it's a good way to show them how to build life long habits!
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    I'm not a single father, so I can only imagine how hectic it is.

When I don't have time to get to the gym, I do quick workouts in the garage. Try doing bodyweight circuits. All you need is a timer (I use a Gymboss but there are sport timer apps for Apple and Droid), and maybe some tunes to keep you going.

Sample workout
    Set to 10 rounds; 30 seconds on/15 seconds rest

-Push ups
    -Burpees
    -Mountain climbers
    -Sit ups
    -Running in place/High knees
    -Push ups
    -Burpees
    -Mountain climbers
    -Sit ups
    -Running in place/High knees

Rest a few minutes, then repeat.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I belong to the New York Sports Club, which has many names around the country. They have on site babysitting which I believe is quite affordable. I only pay $45 per month for full membership.

Also, the YMCA near you may have similar features. Many Ys have been renovated to rival local private health clubs and I know for a fact that the Y will let you pay whatever you can afford.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody, tried this morning 5am, half way through and just too sleepy. I'll figure something out, looks like late night will have to do. Go down to the basement(dungeon) and do freeweights, maybe run in the am. YMCA on the weekends. Get the kids to help out more when they can. I'll get there one way or another....Thanks MFP friends.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    1. Learn to use your slow cooker
    2. Don't "work out"........instead "play" with the kids.....toss a ball, play kickball, ride bikes, dance silly, play Wii fit...........swim at the Y....yardwork........
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I would say during the week when work, homework, etc are necessary, things like dusting, yard work, etc. can wait until the weekend or another day.

Laundry can be put in during the morning. Dry it when you get home. Can put another load in and put in the dryer before bed.

30 day shred is great. I would do it in the morning though as it's a really good workout. I wouldn't want to do it on a lunch break as you would have to get ready again. (Wasted time if you already did in the morning.) At the end of the day I want to relax, not start a dvd. :)

The crockpot is a great idea! I love using it! Throw something in the morning and it is tender and ready to eat when you get off work. Easy! Nothing burns and you don't have to spend time watching the oven/stove.

Chores- Make a list of what needs to be done for the week. Let the kids pick which ones they want to do. Cross off as you go!

During the time when there is practice, you can do whatever it is that you need to catch up with.

I think freeing your time a little with using the crockpot (feels like someone made supper for you), sharing chores, etc. will help you not feel so overwhelmed. Try going to bed just 1/2 hr. earlier to wake up 1/2 hr. earlier. Try a dvd if you aren't able to go to the gym.

I know we aren't living your life, but we all have these responsibilities of life. Just have to see what works in your household. Good luck with everything. :)
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am a single mom of three so I know how hard it is. At the moment I have flexibility at my job, so that helps me a lot.

How old are your kids?
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Daughter 17 and son 11, very busy kids.
  • aiyana1228
    aiyana1228 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have not read all of the posts so these things have probably already been said but here goes anywahy.

As a single mom with an honors high schooler that is invilved in marching band and varsity soccer I totally relate. I am very proud of all the people that get up at the crack of dawn to work out but when I already only get about 5-6 hours of sleep there is no way in H*** that is ever going to happen. The idea of going to the gym is nice but for many single parents that is not in the budget. I so understand where you are coming from. I spend my biggest focus on calories in to be sure I am not putting myself in the position of having to work out for an hour and a half every day. I keep the phelosophy of don't sit if you can stand, don't stand if you can walk, don't walk if you can run. I do not always get lunch at work (45 minute commute plus 9 hours- I am gone from 7 to 6) but when I do I go for hard power walks. I also have the advantage of working in a large building with 7 floors and when I started this journey I decided that the elevator was my enemy. During soccer practice I try to walk the track when I can. I have to plan for this by doing things like throwing a load of laundry in before I leave for work then it gets put in the dryer in the evening while another load goes in. As for food I cook up bigger packages of meat to add to meals for multiple days so I am not spending much time on dinner. I would love my daughter to help more but probably like you-bottom line is I want her to do her very best in school especially in those AP and honors level classes. So I guess what I am saying here is if you are asking about workouts in order to get ripped-Good luck. It sounds to me like you are a really dedicated dad and understand that what is good for your kids is the most important thing you do. My guess is that you are really just asking about enough work out to help the weight loss. If I am correct do not beat yourself up. Sleep deprivation is counter productive to weightloss too. Do what you can when you can and know that any excercise you can get in is better than nothing. Our kids are with us for such a short time. We can both get ripped when the kids are in college! For now we just need to do what needs to be done to be sure we are still around for the day that our kids get to be the ones giving up everything for our grandchildren... Good luck! Small changes made with consistency add up to big changes! Good luck!