what would you guys do?

Options

Replies

• nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Not that you want to upset your child (because I have a 13 y.o and when she makes me stuff I love it) BUT honesty is really the best. Show her your MFP page and your food diary. Show her how many calories you are allowed and how long i takes you to work off treats. You can use the recipe builder to explain what is in a cake/cupcake/cookie etc. This helps her as well as you. Explain you are trying to lose weight to keep you healthy and then come to an agreement with her that you will have tiny taste tests of her cakes and baked goods etc. I'm sure she will appreciate your honesty and half a cupcake won't hurt you (and the best bit is that she will still get to see you enjoying her cooking!!!). You can also google some low-fat, low-cal recipes for her! My daughter had some extra weight and lost 9lbs (not through me hasselling her but with education about food, portions and nutrition values). Always good to be honest and educate your kids.

Good luck!!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I'm a new caker and this is a huge problem for me as well because I can bake some yummy cupcakes and cakes! With all the licking and tasting I do :blushing: , it's horrible, THEN I eat my finished product.

I would just do it like you do everything else- in moderation... have 1 cupcake or a small slice of cake then work it off. If and when I bake, I will allow me a slice (or 2 :wink: because I swear my stuff is GOOD), then give it away asap! My neighbors, co-workers and friends appreciate my work.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    My 11 year old is learning how to bake. I came home from work and was greeted by her beautiful smiling face that just SCREAMED of accomplishment . She grabbed me by the hand and lead me to the kitchen and there in front of me was at least a dozen intricately decorated cupcakes.. She pointed to 2 of them off by themselves and said "I made these ones special for YOU "

Not wanting to ruin the moment I smiled , ate them and raved for the next 20 mins on how they were the best cupcakes i HAVE EVER HAD, how she must have worked sooo hard on them, how proud of herself she must be , etc. As im walking off to my room to get the shorts and tshrt on my 1:1 with "Dr Treadmill" she says..."Im gonna make a cake tommorrow" (sigh)

I guess the extra mins on treadmill are nothing compared to seeing her light up as I complimented her baking but if this keeps up I not sure what Im going to do LOL

Im not one to tell you how to parent but here is what I would have done.

"Those look delicious. Thank you for making them special for me. I will have one after my dinner and after I workout."

Daddy what about the other one?

"Well sweetheart its important that we not over indulge. Eating cake is ok but in proper quantities. Ill save it for tomorrow or the next day."
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    11 is not to young to understand proper nutrition. You need to help these kids early on make good habits right from the start. If they are too young to learn this lesson then why do we teach them to read at 5?

Seriously If you can learn to read you are old enough to learn you dont eat Junk food all the time.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    teach her to bake low fat muffins.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    eat one, factor into your caolries for the day, save one for tomorrow, factor into calories, and next time bake with her and show her healthy recipes?

yes..or just encourage it in general. I think everyone had an easy bake oven that they played with. I used to love baking with my gram and it was part of the reason I became a chef :)
  • quigonnjae
    Options
    eat one, factor into your caolries for the day, save one for tomorrow, factor into calories, and next time bake with her and show her healthy recipes?

yes..or just encourage it in general. I think everyone had an easy bake oven that they played with. I used to love baking with my gram and it was part of the reason I became a chef :)
    She most definately has a VERY creative streak... Im doing everything in my power to encourage that ...wether it be with food or the clothes designs shes making ALREADY ..
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I think everyone had an easy bake oven that they played with.

I didn't. I wanted one.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options

She most definately has a VERY creative streak... Im doing everything in my power to encourage that ...wether it be with food or the clothes designs shes making ALREADY ..

I think someone already mentioned this, but ask her to make things that are healthier. Find a recipe and give it to her saying something like, "Those cupcaks were so good, and I was looking through a website and found this recipe. Do you think you could make this?" Then, she knows the website to look at later when she wants to surprise you more, too.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    That is so sweet. . I would of totally eaten them as well. . :smile:
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Eat them and compliment her. Then work your butt off in the gym.
    Seconded

agree

Fourthed :smile:
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Its your daughter....EAT, ENJOY, LOVE, and work your *kitten* off
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Better yet...Take it into the "office" for everyone else to eat :)
  • quigonnjae
    Options
    she did it again yesterday .. this time it was cookies... Thanks to all the advice I feel I balanced the "good daddy" thing with my diet goals...She brought out a fresh cookie and and glass of milk for me .. Her smile absolutly brightened the room... I told her id love to have a cookie... but it would be more special if she shared it with me ... she ate half and I ate the othe half :-D
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    Not too long ago my son made dozens of oatmeal cookies as part of a cub scout achievement. I ended up eating 2-3, *raving* about what a fantastic job he did, and then telling him these were too delicious not to share. We gave some to a neighbor friend, he took some for his teacher, my daughter took some for her teacher, and my husband and I took some to work.

It allowed us to enjoy some, give him the praise he deserved for working so hard, and share the treats instead of overeating.
  • quigonnjae
    Options
    Shes getting a better and better understanding of what Dads goals are ... Shes even getting to the point where shes slapping my hand if im getting into the fridge (even for water) if its later than 8 PM LOL
  • anlory
    anlory Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What a guy, that's all I can say :)
  • anlory
    anlory Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    oops! ill change my picture, asap!
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Shes getting a better and better understanding of what Dads goals are ... Shes even getting to the point where shes slapping my hand if im getting into the fridge (even for water) if its later than 8 PM LOL
    Uh oh sounds like you've got a drill sergeant now. Haha.
  • quigonnjae
    Options
    Uh oh sounds like you've got a drill sergeant now. Haha.

a VERY cute drill sargent at that :happy: