NYBNY Challenge October (closed group)

Options

Replies

• szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    I shared my umbrella with someone today, as it is gross and rainy today. Bad weather!
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    my RAOK today was letting someone take the last package of pancetta from the grocery store... tried to substitute procuitto but it ruined the recipe.. thats what i get for trying to be nice :(
  • med79
    med79 Posts: 288
    Options
    One of my RAOKs for today was that I helped one of our guys complete his chore this evening.
    Hope you all are having a great evening!
    :smooched: Marie
  • Twinmom1221
    Twinmom1221 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Eggplant Caviar
    1 large eggplant (1 1/2 to 2 lbs)
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
    2 tbl olive oil
    1 6oz can tomato paste
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper

Cook whole eggplant in boiling water till tender, about 25 minutes (poke the eggplant with a fork). Cool; peel and finely chop. In medium killet cook onion and green pepper in oil til tender but not brown. Add tomato paste, salt, and pepper. Simmer 5 minutes. Add chopped eggplant; simmer, uncovered 30 minutes, sitrring often. Add more oil if it sticks. Chill. Serve with crakcers. Makes 2 1/2 cups.

This is an excellent spread/dip. I also used leftovers last night and topped chicken breasts with it and a piece of provolone cheese (feta would be good if you like it) and baked it. My chicken was already cooked so I just warmed it up.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Fish heads, fish heads, rolly polly fish heads! Or... something.

Pumpkin Seed Encrusted Baked Tilapia from Skinnytaste.com

Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 1 tilapia filet
    Calories: 184.5 • Fat: 5.9 g • Protein: 31.3 g • Carb: 2.3 g • Fiber: 0.2 g • Sugar: 0.1
    Sodium: 67.1 (without salt)

Ingredients:

* 2 tbsp raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds
    * 2 tbsp panko crumbs
    * 1 tsp dry parsley
    * course salt such as kosher
    * fresh cracked pepper
    * 4 pieces (5.5 oz each) tilapia filets
    * 1 tsp olive oil
    * 2 cloves garlic, crushed
    * olive oil spray

Grind the pumpkin seeds in a food processor or coffee grinder. Combine crushed pumpkin seeds, panko, parsley, pinch of salt and fresh pepper and set aside.

Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with foil for easy clean up. Drizzle 1/4 tsp oil on each tilapia filet. Rub over fish to coat, season with salt and pepper and top with crushed garlic.

Add crumbs to the top, mist with a little oil and place in the center of the oven.

Bake for 15 minutes or until fish is cooked through, then broil for 1 - 2 minutes, or until crumbs are golden (be careful not to burn).
  • adamkat
    adamkat Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Today I sent a link to a friend who has a budding cupcake business on where to get halloween decorations for her cupcakes as well liners and cupcake boxes. All at 50% off.

And here is my receipe for today. Love this one!!

Sweet Potato Baked Oatmeal

Makes 1 serving

Ingredients:

* 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
    * 2 oz. cooked, peeled, and mashed sweet potato
    * 5g unsweetened cranberries
    * 1/4 cup egg white substitute
    * 1/3 cup almond milk
    * 1/2 tsp baking powder
    * 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    * 1/4 tsp Torani sugar free caramel syrup
    * sugar sweetener only if needed
    * (water only if it's too thick - maybe a tbs)

Directions:

1. Baked sweet potatoes in an oven or a microwave until tender. Peel and mash 2 oz before adding to bowl.
    2. Combine the above in an oven proof bowl.
    3. Add sugar sweetener if needed.
    4. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until top is firm to touch.

Nutrition:

* Calories 243
    * Total Fat 3g
    * Sodium 306.31mg
    * Total Carbohydrate 39.51g
    * Dietary Fiber 6.77g
    * Sugars 16.51g
    * Protein 14.42g
  • wvualum
    wvualum Posts: 428
    Options
    My good deed today: I am picking up some items at the grocery store for a work friend on my lunch break.

My tip: I have a notebook (which I need to replace after spilling diet coke on yesterday) that I keep motivational quotes, recipes, tips, and pictures of skinny chicks I'd like to look like or pics of outfits I want to wear, etc. to look at when I need inspiration.
  • dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Baked Apple Spice Donuts
    1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
    1/2 cup oat flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp fine sea salt
    1/2 tsp each cinnamon, nutmeg & allspice
    1/8 tsp ground cloves
    1/2 cup stevia in the raw or 8 packs stevia
    1 tsp quality vanilla extract
    3 tbsp light extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
    1 cup unsweetened applesauce or homemade apple butter (recipe coming soon!)
    1 large egg
    1/2 cup milk of choice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 6 cup donut tin and a 12 cup mini muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.

In a large bowl sift together all of the dry ingredients.

In a seperate bowl beat together the liquid ingredients until smooth. Gently fold into the dry mixture, mixing only until incorporated. *Do NOT overmix!!!!*

Evenly divide the dough in the prepared pans- you will get 6 round donuts and 12 donut holes.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until lightly golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let rest in pan a few minutes before transfering to a wire rack to cool.

Optional spiced coating to roll in while hot: 1 tbsp cinnamon + 1/3 cup stevia in the raw

Serves 12
    (1 large donut or 2 donut holes)
    Per Serving: 105 calories, 4.5g fat, 15g carbs, 2.5g fiber, 2g protein
  • JamesonsMommy
    Options
    Apple Season.. I love this recipe more than the real thing :) Super quick and easy :) My only complaint is some of the red hots don't melt all the way.. Stole this from hungry girl :)

1 medium Fuji apple, cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    12 - 15 pieces Red Hots Cinnamon Flavored Candy
    1/2 sheet (2 crackers) low-fat cinnamon graham crackers
    2 tbsp. Fat Free Reddi-wip (or more!)
    Dash cinnamon
    Directions

Put apple cubes in a microwavable cup or mug. Top with Red Hots -- the more you use, the hotter your pie in a mug will be! Cover and microwave for 2 minutes. Stir well. Re-cover and microwave for an additional 1 - 2 minutes, until apple cubes are soft.
    Meanwhile, place graham crackers in a plastic bag and thoroughly crush through the bag; set aside.
    Once cup or mug is cool enough to handle, mix contents well. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
    Top with most of the crushed graham crackers followed by the whipped topping. (Use a double serving, if you like!)
    Sprinkle with cinnamon and remaining crushed grahams. Voila!

MAKES 1 SERVING (entire recipe): 140 calories, 0.5g fat, 44mg sodium, 47g carbs, 3.5g fiber, 24.5g sugars, 0.5g protein -- PointsPlus® value 5*
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    My current breakfast:

3 Eggs
    1/2 Cup of diced zucchini, yellow squash, onions, roma tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, and spinach
    1 Tablespoon Sriracha

Because I usually make this at work, I mix them all together and heat it up for two minutes, take it out, stir, and put it in for another two (our microwave sucks). It is so freaking tasty.
  • lauralou23
    Options
    My Tip for the day:

Vending Machine 101

There are times when you're caught empty-handed and you simply have no choice but to enlist the help of a vending machine. The first thing you should do is ask yourself if you are TRULY hungry or just want to feed a craving. If you need to satisfy a sweet tooth, your best bet is to choose something low in calories like fruity sugar-free gum, hard candy, or a small/light snack bar of some sort. If it's crunchy/salty food you crave, look for baked chips or a mini-bag of pretzels. On the other hand, if you really are hungry, you want to go for snacks that have fiber and protein without being too high in calories or fat. Look for filling snack bars that have about 200 calories -- the twofer granola bars from Nature Valley are a great vending-machine staple. Other brand names to look for? Kashi, Luna, Larabar, and KIND. As for the all-too-common trail mixes, those seemingly safe fruit 'n nut blends often come in multi-serving bags, making it way too easy to gobble down 600 calories' worth at once. So look for single-serving options or skip the mixes. Beef jerky, however, is an awesome option -- it has tons of protein, is usually low in fat, has lots of flavor, and is chewy so it takes a while to eat.
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    My good deed of the day is that I offered to share my lunch with my co-worker since she forgot hers on her counter today. I plan to make a feast.
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    I did the dishes and cleaned the bathroom even though it was my husband's turn. And I didn't even mention it to him. If that ain't kindness I don't know what is. ;)

Recipe:

Baked bananas

1 tablespoon of butter (melted)
    4 ripe bananas peeled and cut lengthwise into strips (3-4 strips per banana)
    cinnamon
    half a lemon
    pastry brush (or paper towel if you're desperate)

Preheat oven to 350. Place bananas on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet. Lightly brush each strip with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake until you smell bananas and they start to look carmelized. Squeeze lemon juice on top and serve warm.

4 servings at 125 calories or so each depending on the size of your bananas.
  • Twinmom1221
    Twinmom1221 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Today I sent indivdual e-mails to all my students with multiple mid-term grade reports instead of just sending one mass e-mail.

It might not seem like much but hopefully they will feel the personal touch and offer for help.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    My meal tip for the day.

After a workout I make an egg muffin.

.5 cup of 100% All White egg substitute
    1 wedge Light Swiss Laughing Cow Cheese
    1 Double Fiber Oro Wheat Muffin
    2 oz ham/turkey (optional)

I cook the eggs flat and fold them onto a toasted muffin with the cheese spread.

Without the added meat, it's 215 cals, 19 gr protein, 30 carbs. A great boost after a hard workout. Sometimes, especially after a weight training class, I add turkey or ham to beef up the protein. You just have to watch the sodium with the meats added in. Or sometimes I'll have a glass of almond milk on the side.

Katie
  • libs41223
    libs41223 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My good deed - I brought my son and neighbors to their bus stop again today (rainy and cold again this morning). But, the deed was passed on! My son felt bad for the kids who couldn't fit in my car so he got out and stood with them in the rain! I was so proud of him!
  • JamesonsMommy
    Options
    RAOK for today. actually had two...lol let someone use my shoppers card becasue they are one of those people who refuse to get the card then complain when they don't get the sale.. and second was giving a little boy a quarter for the stupid claw game :)
  • med79
    Options
    RAOK for today was that I told my hubby he could take our son to TaeKwonDo tonight and I stayed home with the guys. Usually I'm the one who gets to get out of the house for a while and takes our son to practice :)
  • med79
    Options
    My new favorite protein/after workout drink is: 1/2 c of dark chocolate almond milk, 1 c of brewed coffee, 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder. I love the flavor and the coffee adds an extra kick :)
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid that my RAOK are really random. I pushed a kid on the swings yesterday when his mother was busy with another child. I gave someone all my grocery points today to get discounts.

As for my tip today... Sometimes with special stuff or stuff that I feel I might overdo it on, I institute a three bite rule.

First bite: Taste the flavor. Is it sweet? Salty? What are the different flavors you can smell and taste in what you're eating?
    Second bite: Feel the texture. Smooth, crunchy? How does it feel against your tongue and the roof of your mouth?
    Third bite: This one is for MEMORY. Try to stamp it on your brain so you can remember it later with pleasure.

I find that if I'm mindful this way, three bites of anything is enough!