im not losing weight and its been over 7 months :(

Options

Replies

• Walker_mt
    Options
    I have the same problem Im up and down around 82kg and im on 1200 cal a day. I don't think I'm cheating with my diet and I religiously log everything I eat. I'm walking on average 7km a day with some as high as 30km but I can't get under 80kg. I'm 178cm tall I've lost just over 20kg but can't budge this next 20kg which has been doing this now for nearly a year. I alternate weight training as well as 1-2 cardio at the gym as well as the walking. But I'm starting to think I need to change my serving sizes or go back on to the Dukan diet and straight protein as this is when I lost the weight. All help appreciated. PS I turn 50 at the end of the month. I also have a mirena and suffer from chronic anaemia.
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Get a full screening done, hormones, thyroid, anemia you name it. A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. If you are getting enough protein to preserve your muscle mass for the activity level you are doing, and you aren't cheating/over eating you should be losing, regardless of the food type your eating (again macro dependent). Clean or unclean. Get a check up me thinks. And yes it could very well be the BC, many many women have the same problem.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be harsh, but if you are eating under 1400 cals a day for the last 7 months then you would be losing weight. Even if you were sleeping at night and just sitting in a chair all day.

Are you being totally honest about your food and exercise?

Beer, wine, milk, snacks???

The only person you will fool is yourself ;-)

Exactly what I was going to say. From what I've read, the quality of your calories effects the quality of your weight loss, but the quantity of calories dictates the quantity of weight loss, so I think even with processed foods, you should be able to lose weight with that. Most likely you are mis-counting something. Get a HRM and a food scale and keep trying. (Unless, of course, its a doctor problem)
  • coullmom
    coullmom Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I cut out most processed foods!! Sometimes you can't help it but since I have been making my own meals, I have lost 7 lbs!! So happy! Good luck, you will get there!!!
  • laurensohn22
    laurensohn22 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Easiest suggestion, dont eat back your calories

If I don't eat my exercise calories I basically starve :/ because then I'd probably net around 800 or so
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical issue, regardless of how tall you are or whether or not exercise is part of the equation, you should be losing at a pretty decent clip at only 1400 calories per day.

Do you weigh (all of) your food? I can estimate that I've eaten a 'medium' banana and log it as 105 calories, but if I weigh it and it's 197 grams I'll know it's actually 175 calories. If this happens multiple times per day, you can easily see where the error lies.

Your weight can not have remained stagnant for 7 months on only 1400 calories per day - if there is no medical issue, the most likely culprit is that you're consuming more calories than you think you are. Swap out what you can for whole foods and invest in a $20 food scale.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical issue, regardless of how tall you are or whether or not exercise is part of the equation, you should be losing at a pretty decent clip at only 1400 calories per day.

Do you weigh (all of) your food? I can estimate that I've eaten a 'medium' banana and log it as 105 calories, but if I weigh it and it's 197 grams I'll know it's actually 175 calories. If this happens multiple times per day, you can easily see where the error lies.

Your weight can not have remained stagnant for 7 months on only 1400 calories per day - if there is no medical issue, the most likely culprit is that you're consuming more calories than you think you are. Swap out what you can for whole foods and invest in a $20 food scale.
    Ditto again.
  • laurensohn22
    Options
    And just for the sake of telling yall . I used to eat less than this . For years probably since 2008 I pretty much starved myself . Not on purpose I just didn't get hungry very often ,but after joining mfp it said I was in starvation mode everyday . So after about a month of it constantly say I'm in starvation mode I made my calorie intake higher and (as expected I gained weight ) . So yeah not sure if this helps
  • laurensohn22
    Options

Haha ok note to self buy my own portable scale
  • Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I hit a wall (I am a long distance runner). I started cross training (free weights and crunches) and the scale is moving again! I also made a vow to not eat junk food although I did eat a piece of dark cholocate today :smile:

SInce when is dark chocolate a junk food ??? Dark chocolate is good for you !
  • crabbyvirgo
    Options
    One of my favorite foods especially when I first started out is steamed brown rice. I got a mini rice cooker at walgreens for $9.99. I would mix 1/4 to 1/2 cup of brown rice with an equal portion of natural plain or vanilla yogurt (no high fructose corn syrup) and then fresh or frozen strawberries, blueberries or whatevs. For the non sweet version, I used salsa, pepper jack, and bell peppers and other veggies instead of yogurt and fruit. Good Luck!! Keep Trying! :0)
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I see a LOT of processed foods in your diary. I would suggest more whole foods...more veggies for sure.

^^ This, and I also see your calories up around 1800.

Ad in some more exercise and try to limit your sugars, fats and sodium.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty hectic schedule most weeks - I've tried preplanning meals and buying fresh foods but inevitably my schedule changes and the food ends up spoiling. So I buy frozen now. I add mixed berries to my yogurt in the morning with some bran. Quick, easy and yummy. Some whole grain toast with frozen veggies and a piece of chicken makes a good meal for dinner.

It's not always easy but it can be done! Pick one thing a week to change in your diet and see where you are in a month or so. this is, of course, if your problem isn't medical.
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Easiest suggestion, dont eat back your calories

If I don't eat my exercise calories I basically starve :/ because then I'd probably net around 800 or so

You wouldn't starve unless you're eating all thr wrong foods. All calories are not created equal, a diet rich in complex carbs, lean meats, and healthy fats will keep you fuller longer even on lower calories.
  • kassandra81
    Options
    Looks like you've already got tons of advice and help but I thought hey, I'll chime in too! :)

Agreed, procesed food = not good.

Stick with natural foods, that you make.
    Try an egg with a few egg whites and maybe some oatmeal in the mornings.
    Veggie omlet, 1 piece of ww toast, etc.

Snacks: 1 small apple and 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese,

Dinners: Chicken, mushrooms, peppers, onion, garlic, some nice spices (watch the sodium) 1/4 cup brown rice, maybe some spinach, sweet potato is also good, green beans.

Those 100g yogourt cups are great.

Also, I bought a scale 4 months ago - the BEST thing I could have done, there is no guessing. Everything I eat is measured.
    I know exactly what goes in my body.

Also, looking at your meals, eat more often. I eat 6 times a day. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack.
    Good foods, smaller portions!
    Good luck, you can do it!!! :)
  • Helensarahgirgs16
    Options
    Well from the looks of your diary you really need to get on track.
    First of all.. NO NIGHT SNACKING! worst thing for you. If its SERIOUSLY necessary have some celery or something with no calories.

Then youve been ordering subway and having fudge brownies, nuttella, nutrition bars.. all PACKED with sugar.. do you know how long it takes to burn off a whole chocolate cookie?

Your MUCH better off eating wholesome fresh foods like fruit, vegetables, eggs, fish, chicken ect....

PLEASE AVOID JUNK!!!!! :)

GOOD LUCK SWEETIE!!! XOXOX
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    have you had your thiroid checked? that could be a contributing factor....
    just what I was thinking!
  • lee3978
    lee3978 Posts: 274
    Options
    You should be tracking your sugar intake. (Google it for more info) Most people start out tracking their sugars then when they go over their goal, they stop tracking it. That's like not tracking calories because you always go over. It just won't work. I estimated by your food diary that you had 87 grams of sugar today. They suggest not going over 30 grams each day. Maybe you need to look at some other food choices. You should probably up the protein and lower the sugars. There are alot of foods that are delicious without going overboard on the sugars. I know it's a pain to sit in the grocery store checking the fats, calories, sugars, sodiums, etc... but until you find some good alternatives, you may need to do this. I bet if you watched your sugar intake for a month, you would see a difference. Good Luck!

30 grams would be two pieces of fruit and nothing else. No yogurt or anything else would be able to be accounted for. That sounds kinda low???? I know I'm trying to watch my sugar.
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    Options
    Umm. Ok so for a long time I mean months my favorite machine was the elliptical and I have a trainer that works with me on weights once a week . Recently I started the c25k so now on the treadmill for 3 out of 5 days a week the other two days ill do strength

Also just an add about two weeks ago my gym shut down to remodel for 10 days . In those ten days I lost 2 pounds (didn't work out at all ) but now that I'm working out again (this is when I started the c25k) I have gained those 2 pounds back . Not cool -_-

If you lost weight while not exercising for a week, it may be that you really aren't eating enough. You may be underestimating how much you burn, thereby accidentally cutting too many calories per week. Ideally, many on MFP say just stay above 1200 net per week or only lose 2 lbs per week. I think cutting 15-20% of calories per week is really the most effective for steady and long term weight loss.
  • Joannguido
    Options
    why are you eating so much for breakfast and no dinner? you should try balancing your meals. If your eating that much breakfast its telling me your body is hungry due lack of dinner. Or maybe I missed the dinner log in? Try eating less at breakfast, less at lunch and a little dinner. Also get away from all the processed food, the sodium in them is horrible. I have cut salt out and don't miss it. Also try cutting back on your exercise. if you are at a gym that has a circuit, use it every other day. Your muscle need time to recoup from exercise. And I agree maybe you should bring it to your Dr.'s attention. Show him your food diary and ask what he thinks. Good luck