Oct. Challenge Week 2 Open!

Options

Replies

• Emwalker3406
    Emwalker3406 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Beginner Tricep Bench Dips
    Position yourself on a bench and place your hands on the edge of the bench right next to your hips. Then slide off of the bench until you're supporting yourself with only your arms and legs.

Place your legs so your thighs and shins are at a 90-degree angle to each other. Position your thighs hip-width apart and keep them parallel with the ground.

Lower yourself slowly by bending your elbows and allowing your knees to bend. Keep your lower legs perpendicular to the ground.

Raise yourself to the starting position, pausing at the top and contracting your triceps.
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    My weight today is 210. Up two pounds but it is my period week so hopefully that is why. I have never tracked consistently enough to know how much difference that makes. I did not make my 60 minutes of cardio this week nor did I drink my 8 cups every day, but I did step out of my comfort zone by wearing makeup every day and I did not eat a single reese's candy product! I will try harder to get more cardio in this week and drink more water!

Also, last week I was already making a point to not eat out while at work. I had been telling myself for months that this was "the last time" but as long as I was able, I did. So I literally have been leaving my cards at home so that I cannot buy any food anywhere and I have to eat what I brought with me and nothing else. It worked well (it sorta had to, but also I did not feel deprived like I thought I would). I will definitely continue this for the next week and beyond.
  • brmonet
    brmonet Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Okay so for week 1 Ive lost 1.8. Thats a good start. But I also didnt eat the best at the beginning of the week.

1. Pack your lunch all week. No eating out at work OR at home! -- I work in a grocery store that has a salad bar, does that count?

2. If you work in a building with an elevator… don’t use it! If you don’t have an elevator, then park farther away from the door when you go somewhere, or do both! -- No elevator but will parking at the very end of my jobs parking lot

3. 1 hour and 15 minutes of cardio! -- this should be easy for me since last week i only got on the elliptical 3 times and had 1 hour and 20 minutes in. This week Im pushing for at least 5 hours of cardio

4. 45 minutes of strength training! -- This is where my biggest weakness is. Im pushing for 200 push ups (might video tape it for giggles later), 500 sit ups, && going to actually pull out my 8lb free weight and figure out something to do with them lol

5. Try a new recipe this week and share what it was. -- my new recipe is spinach and feta stuffed mushrooms. They are so delicious and I dont even like spinach. I work in the meat/seafood department at my local giant eagle grocery store and never tried any of our service counter food. I also want to try seafood Jamaican jerk salmon

I must admit today, I caved in and ate a king size reeses. I avoided my vice (oatmeal raisin cookies) but needed something sweet. But, i only ate 611 calories including the reeses so i dont feel bad for eating it.
  • FitasBarbie
    FitasBarbie Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Okay for the try a new recipe challenge this week. It's my packed lunch for today Beef Chow Mein Noodles. Here's the recipe feel free to make your own revisions as some people would prefer different tastes.

makes 5 servings

391 cals/serving

Ingredients: (This is what I used)

Egg Noodles 450 grams
    Beef (stir fry cut) 200 grams
    Fish Cake 5 pieces (cut into bite sized pieces) - you can purchase this from asian stores, you can substitute tofu puffs or fishball or the like.
    2 eggs
    Garlic 6 cloves
    1 Large Onion
    1 Green Chilli
    Sesame Oil 1 tablespoon
    Beansprouts about 50 grams
    snow peas 100 grams
    1 tablespoon of hot sauce (I used lea and perrin's chef's little helper)
    1 tablespoon of worcesterchire sauce
    1 tablespoon thai fish sauce or soy sauce whichever you prefer I used thai fish sauce (you can buy this from asian stores)
    white pepper (you can use black pepper)

Procedure:

Cook and drain the egg noodles as instructed in the package (best to under cook it by 2 minutes cause we will stir fry this later).

Saute the garlic, onion, green chilli in a pan or wok for a minute or two (Medium Heat). Add in the beef fry until golden brown, add in the fish cake and saute for a few minutes. Add in the snow peas and then the beansprout and the rest of the ingredients except the egg and the drained noodles. Once the veggies is half cooked and still crunchy add in the drained noodles stir fry for 1-2 mins. Once the whole dish is piping hot crack both eggs and add in the noodles, stir, stir, stir! Turn off the heat and let the egg cook through the heat of the whole dish (remember to stir so that the egg can coat everything evenly.)
    Voila you now have your beef chow mein! Enjoy!

Sorry this is my first attempt at writing a recipe. Feel free to change or add on anything to the dish as you'd like. You can use a wide selection of veggies and meat for this.
  • SaishaLea
    SaishaLea Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Finished the Mini Challenge! Yay!
  • agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Jenn I can sooo relate to you. Tonight was our date night so I did double exercise today to make up for eating out at dinner and one glass of wine.

On the way home after the movie we stopped to hear this band but too crowded Oktoberfest crowd in town, so we went to local bar for dessert instead. I had the guy list all of them, none sounded good enough to me to blow it on my diet!! The bartender seemed mad that I couldn't make up my mind.

But really I was trying to figure out what the heck I was doing! So I had a hot chocolate mint liqueur drink and a couple of small bites of husbands pie.

I plan to do major hike tomorrow to make up for my badness today….will let you know if I make it to top of trail…its steep!
  • holly_v
    holly_v Posts: 292 Member
    Options

2. Yesterday my hubby just HAD to have this pecan pie at the store. So i have looked at it all night tonight. I mentioned to him that I want to get a fork and eat the middle out of it, so bad. So he got a piece. he started in with the "1 piece won't hurt" "it is so good". So I got a small bite of his, and it was so wonderful... then I left the room with my water and fiber one bar and got on here.

i would have smashed the pie in his face!
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Okay so for week 1 Ive lost 1.8. Thats a good start. But I also didnt eat the best at the beginning of the week.

1. Pack your lunch all week. No eating out at work OR at home! -- I work in a grocery store that has a salad bar, does that count?

2. If you work in a building with an elevator… don’t use it! If you don’t have an elevator, then park farther away from the door when you go somewhere, or do both! -- No elevator but will parking at the very end of my jobs parking lot

3. 1 hour and 15 minutes of cardio! -- this should be easy for me since last week i only got on the elliptical 3 times and had 1 hour and 20 minutes in. This week Im pushing for at least 5 hours of cardio

4. 45 minutes of strength training! -- This is where my biggest weakness is. Im pushing for 200 push ups (might video tape it for giggles later), 500 sit ups, && going to actually pull out my 8lb free weight and figure out something to do with them lol

5. Try a new recipe this week and share what it was. -- my new recipe is spinach and feta stuffed mushrooms. They are so delicious and I dont even like spinach. I work in the meat/seafood department at my local giant eagle grocery store and never tried any of our service counter food. I also want to try seafood Jamaican jerk salmon

I must admit today, I caved in and ate a king size reeses. I avoided my vice (oatmeal raisin cookies) but needed something sweet. But, i only ate 611 calories including the reeses so i dont feel bad for eating it.

For eating out, I meant, like taco bell, applebees, pizza hut. That sort of thing. We have a cafe at work and if I get only the salad I don't consider it eating out. How about trying arm curls with your weights? 5 hours of cardio?!? Do you ever sleep? LOL I have a treadmill at home, but to get on it kills me. After like 10 minutes, it feels like a hour! So boring! but at the gym, I can go forever on the treadmill. Weird huh?
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    Okay for the try a new recipe challenge this week. It's my packed lunch for today Beef Chow Mein Noodles. Here's the recipe feel free to make your own revisions as some people would prefer different tastes.

makes 5 servings

391 cals/serving

Ingredients: (This is what I used)

Egg Noodles 450 grams
    Beef (stir fry cut) 200 grams
    Fish Cake 5 pieces (cut into bite sized pieces) - you can purchase this from asian stores, you can substitute tofu puffs or fishball or the like.
    2 eggs
    Garlic 6 cloves
    1 Large Onion
    1 Green Chilli
    Sesame Oil 1 tablespoon
    Beansprouts about 50 grams
    snow peas 100 grams
    1 tablespoon of hot sauce (I used lea and perrin's chef's little helper)
    1 tablespoon of worcesterchire sauce
    1 tablespoon thai fish sauce or soy sauce whichever you prefer I used thai fish sauce (you can buy this from asian stores)
    white pepper (you can use black pepper)

Procedure:

Cook and drain the egg noodles as instructed in the package (best to under cook it by 2 minutes cause we will stir fry this later).

Saute the garlic, onion, green chilli in a pan or wok for a minute or two (Medium Heat). Add in the beef fry until golden brown, add in the fish cake and saute for a few minutes. Add in the snow peas and then the beansprout and the rest of the ingredients except the egg and the drained noodles. Once the veggies is half cooked and still crunchy add in the drained noodles stir fry for 1-2 mins. Once the whole dish is piping hot crack both eggs and add in the noodles, stir, stir, stir! Turn off the heat and let the egg cook through the heat of the whole dish (remember to stir so that the egg can coat everything evenly.)
    Voila you now have your beef chow mein! Enjoy!

Sorry this is my first attempt at writing a recipe. Feel free to change or add on anything to the dish as you'd like. You can use a wide selection of veggies and meat for this.

Sounds very interesting! Some of the stuff I have never heard of!
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I am down to 203.0 so that is a loss of 0.8.
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I know I said goodnight already... (Lol) but I just thought to add another mini-challenge for tomorrow!!
    I am goIng to shoot for 25 push ups, and 25 dips. You can adapt the push ups to your ability.

(Thanksgiving Dinner #1 tomorrow. :)

so what are dips???

This is a great video example of how t do dips, with variations to make it easier/harder. :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKjcgfu44sI
  • jennmoore3
    Options
    I found a thread of motivational quotes, so every so often I'm going to post one.

So, Saturday's quote of the day:

It's easy to say you're too tired, too stressed, too busy, too this or too that. TOO BAD! The only way you'll strip away the fat is to start by stripping away all the excuses!
  • mabelebam
    mabelebam Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Awesome job on getting to week 2 guys! Love the new challenges! I'm down a pound from my starting weight recorded in the spreadsheet, but that was over a week ago. So my weight pretty much stayed the same. :( not surprising though...didn't have too great of a week, eating wise. Oh well, this week will be better, I hope!

1. Pack your lunch all week. No eating out at work OR at home! We can do it!!! - This will be a real test for me! I rarely pack lunches to go, because I live 45 minutes away from my college and commute on a packed train daily. But I'll try to pack something light to take because it'll be a healthier (and wallet-friendly) option!

2. If you work in a building with an elevator… don’t use it! If you don’t have an elevator, then park farther away from the door when you go somewhere, or do both! - For me this would be easy because I walk alot around campus and also to/from the train stations. :)

3. 1 hour and 15 minutes of cardio! Oh my!!! - Will try to get some running done during the week in addition to the 30DS and badminton!

4. 45 minutes of strength training! We WILL have buns of steel! LOL - I'm relying on 30DS and Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism for this one!

5. Try a new recipe this week and share what it was. - Looking forward to this! I'll report back with my experience! :)

Hope everyone will have a fantastic week ahead! :)
  • mabelebam
    mabelebam Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm up 1.8 :sad: but I'm trying not to stress about it too much! I've read about a lot of people gaining their first week or two of 30DS. Plus it's my TOM. Next week will be better! I've just got to keep making good choices, food wise, doing 30DS, and getting other exercise in!
    Here are my stats

SW 213
    CW211.6
    GW 135

I feel you! My weight fluctuated alot during the first week of the 30DS...but after that, I lost 3lbs! Just have to be patient and stick with it! Hang in there! :)
  • holly_v
    Options
    so sat-sat i lost 2.4lbs. I did 110 minutes of cardio and 105 minutes of strength training. i was down 3lbs but i ate out last night for dinner and that always affects me. eating out was also my vice! oops.

this weekend will be difficult with 2 thanksgiving dinners...sigh.

great work everyone!
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    This sounds amazing...
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hi Group!

Just found our week 2........wow Jenn....trying to kill me??? lol! j/k!!

Sounds like everyone is doing FABULOUS!! Keep it up!!
    Our group is AWESOME!!

Last week exercise was a challenge for me...my allergies are in full swing and not getting much O2 to my lungs!
    Woke up feeling great today....off to do my wog. Tomorrow's plan is to hit the station gym and do some strength
    training before my shift.

Yesterday was CRAZY at work....SIX collisions....c'mon people..can we not watch where we are going??
    (Sorry...had to vent!):grumble:

Have a great day everyone!!!

Pam:flowerforyou:
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Just did a 2 mile walk outside in this wonderful weather (I'm in Mississippi)! I'm glad to say I have gotten 40 minutes of cardio out of the way which is WAY more than the 0 minutes for the last challenge! lol For my new recipe, I'm going to make this chicken parmesan bake tonight...http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2008/02/end-of-chicken-parmesan-as-you-know-it.html I think the person that posted it on another thread said that it was about 500 calories a serving almost. I plan on doing a very low-cal veggie as a side. I'm going to put it in my recipe thing on here and get the exact amount of calories though.

**Just added it to my recipe box, and I pretty much cut the recipe in half and did without the oil (am going to put some sauce in the bottom) and it was 328 for one serving.
  • Emwalker3406
    Emwalker3406 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I know I said goodnight already... (Lol) but I just thought to add another mini-challenge for tomorrow!!
    I am goIng to shoot for 25 push ups, and 25 dips. You can adapt the push ups to your ability.

(Thanksgiving Dinner #1 tomorrow. :)
    Twenty dips so far and boy my arms feel like jello. I'm going to try some push ups (no promises on quality but will do my best) later this evening when I get back home.

You all are working so hard and are amazing!!!
  • holly_v
    Options
    Just did a 2 mile walk outside in this wonderful weather (I'm in Mississippi)! I'm glad to say I have gotten 40 minutes of cardio out of the way which is WAY more than the 0 minutes for the last challenge! lol For my new recipe, I'm going to make this chicken parmesan bake tonight...http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2008/02/end-of-chicken-parmesan-as-you-know-it.html I think the person that posted it on another thread said that it was about 500 calories a serving almost. I plan on doing a very low-cal veggie as a side. I'm going to put it in my recipe thing on here and get the exact amount of calories though.

**Just added it to my recipe box, and I pretty much cut the recipe in half and did without the oil (am going to put some sauce in the bottom) and it was 328 for one serving.

oh god that looks so good. im making that this week totally