Females: How many calories are you eating daily?

Options

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I'd like to read where you've gotten your info from, can you point me in the right direction? Seems like you do alot of reading on the topic. Links?

Here's one before i get going. Pretty interesting article

ive-started-working-out-why-am-i-still-gaining-weight.

http://www.columbussports.com/content/writers/dan_falkenberg/ive-started-working-out-why-am-i-still-gaining-weight.shtml

Also check out

Scooby's website and forum board. He's pretty cool

http://scoobysworkshop.com/

sorry scooby is a known bro scientist that gives terrible advice
  • gp79
    Options
    The link is opinion not scientific fact / pure fact like you stated.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I am not in starvation and I'm very healthy. Where do you get off making these judgments of me? For your info you can keep most muscle mass with a decent protein intake and strength training. Go do some research on that. And I hope that in your first para you weren't addressing me by saying "you". I work out plenty but you wouldn't know that - so don't go around making assumptions.

I read that you said you did not work out. You cooked and cleaned and didn't have time for it!? Page 11

Yeah, no time for TWO HOUR workouts. I do have time for a ONE HOUR workout. You need to read more carefully and stop assuming things. So I do workout very regularly - but with my (very good) fitness level and low (but healthy) weight, it's hard to burn enough cals to justify eating too much more than I already do if I still want to stay in a deficit.

Oh my apologies then. I wish you had corrected me straight away that you did do some exercise! I didn't see it when i read your posts. Well thats good then.

Its good though that I wrote that info for other people out there that are in starvation mode and dont exercise. I hope you dont think i was attacking you. That wasn't my intent. I was just trying to pass on info to you and also other people here about those topics.

But still if you are doing 1 hour of exercise a day I still dont think 1200 gross calories would be enough to sustain you. Or is it 1200 net calories that you are eating? Especially if you arn't eating back exercise calories. If it is 1200 gross calories then you are putting yourself into starvation mode because of your exercise for 1 hour
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options

Agreed.
  • gp79
    Options
    I honestly don't know how anyone could eat all or most of their calories at once. I'm sure it works fine for some people, but I generally feel over-stuffed eating any more than 500 calories in one sitting (depending on the food). My brothers, on the other hand...

It takes planning actually. For example, the other night I had a lb of chicken breast as part of a meal and I left it until the end. I had a hard time getting it down. Lesson learned: Eat chicken first! haha
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    I am not in starvation and I'm very healthy. Where do you get off making these judgments of me? For your info you can keep most muscle mass with a decent protein intake and strength training. Go do some research on that. And I hope that in your first para you weren't addressing me by saying "you". I work out plenty but you wouldn't know that - so don't go around making assumptions.

I read that you said you did not work out. You cooked and cleaned and didn't have time for it!? Page 11

Yeah, no time for TWO HOUR workouts. I do have time for a ONE HOUR workout. You need to read more carefully and stop assuming things. So I do workout very regularly - but with my (very good) fitness level and low (but healthy) weight, it's hard to burn enough cals to justify eating too much more than I already do if I still want to stay in a deficit.

Oh my apologies then. I wish you had corrected me straight away that you did do some exercise! I didn't see it when i read your posts. Well thats good then.

Its good though that I wrote that info for other people out there that are in starvation mode and dont exercise. I hope you dont think i was attacking you. That wasn't my intent. I was just trying to pass on info to you and also other people here about those topics.

But still if you are doing 1 hour of exercise a day I still dont think 1200 gross calories would be enough to sustain you. Or is it 1200 net calories that you are eating? Especially if you arn't eating back exercise calories. If it is 1200 gross calories then you are putting yourself into starvation mode because of your exercise for 1 hour

When I exercise I eat back some or all of my extra calories, depending on how hungry I am.
  • Kim55555
    Options

you really think so. hmmm. but how do you know this? ps i wish there were emoticons on here so we can show our body language. Have you heard bad things about him? I've heard good things, and i reckon his book recommendations are good too like tom venuto's burn the fat feed the muscle.
  • gp79
    Options
    The whole meal frequency thing is up to the individual. Personally I find that IF works....works for me. I try not to recommend IF to anyone because most don't know it's in existence and the thought of it overwhelms them. What I usually suggest to friends etc is to do what fits best into your schedule. For folks just starting out losing weight etc I feel it's more important to focus on ensuring they know what their body needs in terms of TDEE. From there focus on Macros. It takes a real personal interest to succeed at this stuff.
  • servilia
    Options
    I honestly don't know how anyone could eat all or most of their calories at once. I'm sure it works fine for some people, but I generally feel over-stuffed eating any more than 500 calories in one sitting (depending on the food). My brothers, on the other hand...

I don't actually eat them in one sitting - I'll eat them from 6pm until bedtime, which for me means sometime between 11pm and 1am. And it's possible to get enough cals with calorie dense foods that don't seem to fill me up too much. For example, just 1/4 cup of cashews has 180 cals :) And I don't find them filling, I can eat a lot more. 1 tbsp of olive oil on my salad has 120 cals. So it's not that hard for me to eat my cals in a shorter period of time.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options

you really think so. hmmm. but how do you know this? ps i wish there were emoticons on here so we can show our body language. Have you heard bad things about him? I've heard good things, and i reckon his book recommendations are good too like tom venuto's burn the fat feed the muscle.

Tom's book is decent, if you liked it you should also check out Lyle McDonald. Very scientific, kind of a smartass and not fancy, but he knows his stuff and I've learned a lot from him :-)
  • gp79
    Options
    Bed time...plus I'm like the only guy trolling this thread right now =)
  • Kim55555
    Options
    When I exercise I eat back some or all of my extra calories, depending on how hungry I am.

I dont remember reading that. Perhaps you mentioned it earlier on in the topic or something I dunno. I've read all the pages. hmmm

Anyway that is great that you eat your exercise calories. Good to hear! :)
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Bed time...plus I'm like the only guy trolling this thread right now =)

seeya nice chatting with you.

its 3.30 pm on sunday where i am.

catchya later :)
  • servilia
    Options

I dont remember reading that. Perhaps you mentioned it earlier on in the topic or something I dunno. I've read all the pages. hmmm

Anyway that is great that you eat your exercise calories. Good to hear! :)

I didn't specifically write that I eat my exercise cals, but on page 10 when I first posted I said that until recently my goal was 1200 NET - net meaning I ate my exercise cals.

Bed time for me too - 2:30am
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Tom's book is decent, if you liked it you should also check out Lyle McDonald. Very scientific, kind of a smartass and not fancy, but he knows his stuff and I've learned a lot from him :-)

Thanks yeah I've checked out lyles website. i agree he knows his stuff! Very interesting. This is what I was reading when i was struggling to lose scale weight. It made me feel better to read about recomping. Thats what I was doing for quite a few months. My measurements were going down by heaps although losing very little on the scale. So his was one site that kept me from getting discouraged. His site and bodybuilding.com
  • Angelunaware
    Options
    I'm 48 and in menopause. I try to stay under 1000 calories a day and I don't eat back my exercised calories. I am losing weight, which isn't all that easy during menopause.
  • Kim55555
    Options
    ok seeya :)
  • nicholeb123
    nicholeb123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1100 and 1200 calories per day and I try not to eat back the calories.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 1200 for months.. and lost weight fine but then hit a stall. So.. after 3 months of struggling to lose 3lb I'm up 5lb after a weekend away and my middle daughters birthday. I'm going to try to keep to 1000 cals and see if I can kick start some losses again.
  • Heidiwarwick
    Heidiwarwick Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am 38 years old, 5'0" and 97 pounds. I generally eat some of my exercise calories. Unfortunately, when I exercise, my appetite seems to decrease!