Females: How many calories are you eating daily?

Options

Replies

• amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    Options
    I'm at maintenance right now and I eat 1650, most days I actually probably go over by 100 or so.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    I am 62 , 5 ' 4" - 174 pounds and started out at 1200 calories and was starving.

Bumped it up to 1300 calories and feel better. I don't always eat back my
    exercise calories. I try to stay under as much as I can.

Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    27, 5'10", 168-ish pounds, 1900-2000 calories on average (I'm on maintenance and don't track very often, but I try to stay around there).
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I know for a fact that some of those women who are so proud of eating 2000+ cals regularly burn over a 1000 cals a day through exercise, so they're actually netting around 1000 which is not high. From a weight loss perspective this is no different than eating 1100 (under the magical minimum 1200 number) and then burning a 100.

I have no studies or links or anything to back me up, but I'd imagine the person who eats 2000 and burns 1000 is going to be a lot healthier (heart and lungs, muscle, etc.) than the person who just eats 1000. Personally, I think burning that much is overkill, especially if it's done every day, but kudos to anyone who has the energy to burn that much daily!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked by how few calories most women here eat. I eat about 2,000 to 2,200 calories per day, which, minus exercise, nets me about 1,600 to 1,800. I dropped down to a net of about 1,400 for a couple weeks and stopped losing (not to mention that I was STARVING). I changed my goals to 1.5 pounds a week, and I've started losing consistently, again (and often more than 1.5 per week).

I feel the same way, there's no way I could do 1200. I think maybe some people don't realize you can lose weight with a higher cal goal and not be hungry all the time. :(

That is easily true for people that have a larger amount of weight to lose, but the closer you get to your goal weight the lower your BMR is, and thus the lower your net has to be in order to lose weight. I'm currently 140, my BMR is something like 1343 and my maintenance (with no extra exercise) is 1710. I'm shooting for 1 lb per week so my goal is 1210. After I lose a couple more pounds I will probably switch up my goal to 0.5 lb per week simply b/c I'm running out of wiggle room to not intentionally go below 1200. (plus I'm not going to override the site to ask for a lower-than-1200 net, so no sense keeping a 1 lb per week goal if the site won't even be able to support that goal anymore). On days that I don't exercise, I make sure I eat at least 1200. Sometimes I go over the 1210 goal too. I don't freak out over it, even if I'm a couple hundred over my 1210 goal, I'm still a couple hundred under maintenance and thus still on track to lose even if it's not as much as I selected in my account. I do exercise most days, though, b/c I enjoy eating extra snacks, and on the days I exercise I eat most (often all) of my exercise calories. Yesterday I ate over 1800 total but netted about 1200 b/c of exercise. Having a 1200-ish goal does not mean people are starving themselves. On the days that I don't exercise I try to make better (less calorie-dense) choices so that I can still have a good volume of food to keep me satisfied. I also watch my protein and fiber to make sure I get more than what MFP recommends regardless of whether it's an exercise day or not - helps me not feel crazy hungry even on my low-cal, no-exercise days.

We all have to remember that everybody on this site is at a different weight and activity level, so a higher calorie goal might be perfect for weightless for some and yet way too much for others, and a lower calorie goal might seem like starvation to some but is actually necessary for others. It's all about perspective for each person's individual situation.
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    1260 net, which means anywhere from 1300 to 3000, depending on my exercise.
  • emily2tx
    Options
    I am 5'7.5", 36 years old, weigh 132lbs (yay). I consume aprox 1200-1250 calories a day (I have been tested for low metabolism). I will eat back calories on the weekends, but not during the week. I have lost a pound a week since starting MFP using this method. I have surpassed my goal and now I am toning. I will continue to use MFP though, most likely for the rest of my life if it is still around!!!!!!!!!!
    It is a good idea to have your metabolism tested or test yourself with a slightly higher or lower calorie intake to see the healthiest weight loss rate. I think that 1-2lbs or less is a good healthy rate. I was told to eat 1100 calories a day, but with my active lifestyle, I can't survive on that!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I know for a fact that some of those women who are so proud of eating 2000+ cals regularly burn over a 1000 cals a day through exercise, so they're actually netting around 1000 which is not high. From a weight loss perspective this is no different than eating 1100 (under the magical minimum 1200 number) and then burning a 100.

I have no studies or links or anything to back me up, but I'd imagine the person who eats 2000 and burns 1000 is going to be a lot healthier (heart and lungs, muscle, etc.) than the person who just eats 1000. Personally, I think burning that much is overkill, especially if it's done every day, but kudos to anyone who has the energy to burn that much daily!

Well yeah exercise is good and healthy, no one is going to argue against that. It might be too much of a good thing though but everyone knows their body best. In any case, I did say "from a weight loss perspective", not a health perspective. I just don't like the attitude that if you have a lower cal goal, say 1200-1300, that you're deserving of pity and not being good to yourself. In my college days I had plenty of time to burn tons of cals at the gym, but with a full time job, 1.5 hour commute (each way), and cleaning and cooking on top of it, I don't have 2 hours to spare for exercise every day. Not to mention that with a lower weight and higher fitness level (which I've gotten after a couple of months), my cals burned are pathetic. I use my HRM and it's sad how little cals you burn at 138lbs as a woman doing decent exercises lol
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    43 Yr old..5'5". I am currently eating between 1300-1500 a day
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I am 62 , 5 ' 4" - 174 pounds and started out at 1200 calories and was starving.

Bumped it up to 1300 calories and feel better. I don't always eat back my
    exercise calories. I try to stay under as much as I can.

Good Luck :flowerforyou:

I'm 41, 5"3' and 155 lb and ditto..for some reason 1200 was way too little, but 1300 is just right as long as I get some exercise calories in there. I've always had a real healthy appetite..I'm pretty much always hungry, but 1200 was leaving me grumpy and woozy.
  • mrskhendricks
    Options
    I am alllowed 1700 my trainer said I only eat about 1500 a day sometimes less and hardly eat back the cals I burns unless I splurge on something
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    OK, I've gone to the www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm as recommended and each calculator gives me a vastly different recommended calories to eat daily and still lose weight. One is 1440 and the other is 2017. So does one split the difference?

Also, no one has addressed the issue of not being able to eat much more than 1200 net a day while eating clean. How does one do that without being stuffed? The healthy food choices I am trying to make just don't add up to a lot of calories. And I do eat at least 1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter a day and nuts, bacon, and other calorie-dense foods. And I'm not afraid of butter or cheese/dairy. And I'll even have a treat like ice cream a couple times a week.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I can't exercise on a full stomach or even partially full. I became nauseous, feel sluggish, and have no oomph. And then the exercise reduces my hunger. I often can't eat for at least 3 hours after exercising beyond a light snack. I might have a protein drink instead of eating and be perfectly satisfied with that. Or a tablespoon of peanut butter.

I'm not trying to argue. Really I'm not. I just don't understand how I can get in my exercise, eat healthy, and eat the amount of calories many of you are recommending while eating clean.

Last point, I'm not hungry. Not starving at all. I do allow myself some splurges but, even so, once I've exercised, my net calories aren't anywhere near the level some of you say I should eat and I just don't understand how to get there without feeling like a stuffed pig.

BTW, to those who ask how I got fat in the first place if I can't eat a lot? Good question. I ate junk, calorie-dense foods with little nutritional value but, even then, I didn't eat a lot. I have been to way too many events in my life where those around me eat 2-3x as much as me and I don't understand how they can eat that much as I was stuffed just watching them. Yup, even when I was 237#. I do think I had an issue with mindless grazing which I now track here at MFP so I probably ate more during the day then I sometimes realized yet I've never been able to eat much at any one time. I've rarely gone back for seconds in my life. And my first plate has rarely been huge. Even when obese and gaining to obese, I could eat my whole meal off a small salad plate and be stuffed. And, no, the food wasn't heaped or overflowing.

Anyway, tear me a new one or give me advice. I just know I'd love to be able to eat such quantities as, yeah, I like the taste of food, too, but I still can't figure out how to do it and still be able to exercise and keep the majority of my foods nutritional.
  • Lolamako
    Lolamako Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    MFP set at 1200; On running days, I earn myself and extra 450-550 calories. Weights/HIIT/Pilates/etc days, I usually earn under 300. I used to not eat my calories back, then ate some, then started eating them all, and sometimes a tad bit more.

I did "oblivious october" where I didn't weigh myself the whole month, ate what felt like a pig, which was actually me just eating my exercise calories back after being used to only eating around 1200-1300, low and behold Nov 1st, I lost weight.

If I don't exercise I try to stay on the lower end, but usually don't even try to stay at 1200. I consider it part of my (unplanned, totally random, fly by the seat of my pants) zig zag diet :P

I'm losing slowly, but I am happy to be eating. I rarely feel deprived anymore.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    MFP set at 1200; On running days, I earn myself and extra 450-550 calories. Weights/HIIT/Pilates/etc days, I usually earn under 300. I used to not eat my calories back, then ate some, then started eating them all, and sometimes a tad bit more.

I did "oblivious october" where I didn't weigh myself the whole month, ate what felt like a pig, which was actually me just eating my exercise calories back after being used to only eating around 1200-1300, low and behold Nov 1st, I lost weight.

If I don't exercise I try to stay on the lower end, but usually don't even try to stay at 1200. I consider it part of my (unplanned, totally random, fly by the seat of my pants) zig zag diet :P

I'm losing slowly, but I am happy to be eating. I rarely feel deprived anymore.

A weight loss girl after my own heart. Good on you.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a problem going over 1200 cals eating what I consider healthy either until I found out I couldn't eat grains which was a staple of my diet.

Have you tried quinoa? It isn't a true grain but does a pretty good job of masquerading as one.

I haven't but heard a lot of good things about it esp. from my health professor. I don't have any nearby stores that sell it in my area but will definitely grab some, when I'm in the area.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    29, 5'8 and eating approximately 1600-1700 cal/day, minus approx 400-500 cal exercise for a net goal of 1250. Struggling a little after a drop from 1310 net, and yes, I do eat back most of my exercise calories. I'm already running a 1000 cal deficit courtesy of MFP - a 1400-1500 cal deficit would not be good for my body or my state of mind!

9371113.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    I'm currently doing it 1400 a day + eating my exercise calories. I've tried twice before over the past year doing it 1200 a day but both times I only managed to lose about 6lbs before burning out and gaining it all back. I'd just wait and look forward to being done so that I could pig out again. So this time I'm taking it slower and eating 1400 a day, and I really feel like this time its sustainable over a long period of time- I don't feel hungry as much and I don't feel like I'm having to limit myself every day, I eat pretty much what I want. Still in early stages so I'mma see how I go though. (:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    29, 5'6", 172 ish and I generally eat 1700-2000 a day. I could eat less and lose more WEIGHT but some of that would certainly be muscle and I do not want to lose ANY muscle at this point. Going for as close to pure fat loss as I can manage. 20 more lbs and we'll see where I'm at, should be around 21-22% body fat then.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Gotta pimp this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395948-caloric-intake-results?page=1#posts-5451195

A study on MFP members showing that women with low body fat eat about 1900 calories a day.

That is a fascinating little study. Thank you for posting that! I may have to share that with some people both on here and in RL.

I'm assuming you also know that they don't eat any of those calories back.

Yes, the ones I am talking about don't. But i don't see why you need clarification. I plainly said they eat 2000 cals. And burn 1000. I didn't say they eat 3000, or 2500, or 2800 (which would be eating exercise calories back).
    ps I don't have a problem with any of this, the only thing I have a problem with is when some of these people come down hard on others who eat less, because it's hypocritical.

You said 2000+, which indicates 2000 and above. That's why I needed clarification.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    OK, I've gone to the www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm as recommended and each calculator gives me a vastly different recommended calories to eat daily and still lose weight. One is 1440 and the other is 2017. So does one split the difference?

Also, no one has addressed the issue of not being able to eat much more than 1200 net a day while eating clean. How does one do that without being stuffed? The healthy food choices I am trying to make just don't add up to a lot of calories. And I do eat at least 1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter a day and nuts, bacon, and other calorie-dense foods. And I'm not afraid of butter or cheese/dairy. And I'll even have a treat like ice cream a couple times a week.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I can't exercise on a full stomach or even partially full. I became nauseous, feel sluggish, and have no oomph. And then the exercise reduces my hunger. I often can't eat for at least 3 hours after exercising beyond a light snack. I might have a protein drink instead of eating and be perfectly satisfied with that. Or a tablespoon of peanut butter.

I'm not trying to argue. Really I'm not. I just don't understand how I can get in my exercise, eat healthy, and eat the amount of calories many of you are recommending while eating clean.

Last point, I'm not hungry. Not starving at all. I do allow myself some splurges but, even so, once I've exercised, my net calories aren't anywhere near the level some of you say I should eat and I just don't understand how to get there without feeling like a stuffed pig.

BTW, to those who ask how I got fat in the first place if I can't eat a lot? Good question. I ate junk, calorie-dense foods with little nutritional value but, even then, I didn't eat a lot. I have been to way too many events in my life where those around me eat 2-3x as much as me and I don't understand how they can eat that much as I was stuffed just watching them. Yup, even when I was 237#. I do think I had an issue with mindless grazing which I now track here at MFP so I probably ate more during the day then I sometimes realized yet I've never been able to eat much at any one time. I've rarely gone back for seconds in my life. And my first plate has rarely been huge. Even when obese and gaining to obese, I could eat my whole meal off a small salad plate and be stuffed. And, no, the food wasn't heaped or overflowing.

Anyway, tear me a new one or give me advice. I just know I'd love to be able to eat such quantities as, yeah, I like the taste of food, too, but I still can't figure out how to do it and still be able to exercise and keep the majority of my foods nutritional.

I eat clean and have no problem hitting 2,000+ on my overall calories each day. I eat beans, whole grains, avocado, nuts, nut butter, dried fruit, bananas, etc. to get them in. I eat frequently, somedays, but on weekends I tend to eat regular meals.