Females: How many calories are you eating daily?

Options

Replies

• MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 38 and 5ft 3 and weigh 166lbs. My goal is to lose 1lb a week and daily calorie goal is 1250. I exercise about 4-5 times a week burning about 400-500 calories a time. I sometimes eat back what I've burned (and sometimes I treat myself to some wine lol!!). I am struggling to lose anything at the moment and i'm getting mixed messages on here and from my personal trainer in relation to "eating back calories"!
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I am 32, 145 lb, 5'8" and my goal is 1570 calories per day. I do eat at least some of my exercise calories. I tried 1200 calories a day and I was hungry all the time plus I only lost weight the first 2 weeks and then that was it.
  • Lets_get_going
    Lets_get_going Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm 20 and I currently weigh 119/5'5 once I started counting my calories I actually realized I consume somewhere between 900-1100, and this is my normal food intake I'm not starving myself, I just think cigarettes bring down my apatite... therefore I don't feel hungry. I do have periods of time where my apatite grows extremely for a few days or weeks and then I most likely consume around 1400-1500. I'd like to keep my calorie intake around 1300 I think that would be perfect for my size.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 38 and 5ft 3 and weigh 166lbs. My goal is to lose 1lb a week and daily calorie goal is 1250. I exercise about 4-5 times a week burning about 400-500 calories a time. I sometimes eat back what I've burned (and sometimes I treat myself to some wine lol!!). I am struggling to lose anything at the moment and i'm getting mixed messages on here and from my personal trainer in relation to "eating back calories"!

I'm not a nutrition professional by any means but maybe you could try just eating a flat 1500 or 1600 calories on days you exercise and not specifically eat your exercise calories. I just recently upped my calories and started eating my exercise calories but haven't seen much of a change. I'm patiently waiting but I'm not gaining so I'm happy about that.
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options

I'm not a nutrition professional by any means but maybe you could try just eating a flat 1500 or 1600 calories on days you exercise and not specifically eat your exercise calories. I just recently upped my calories and started eating my exercise calories but haven't seen much of a change. I'm patiently waiting but I'm not gaining so I'm happy about that.

Thanks! I might try that......at the end of the day I think it is just "different strokes for different folks" - we are all unique and need to find the formula that works best for us as individuals!
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me sad... So many MFPers are litterally starving themselves and thinking they're doing the right thing.

I agree!

I started on 1200, and did it for about 10 weeks, but i was hungry ALL the time!

I would never drop below netting 1400 now, not that i need to as i'm maintaining thankfully!

Even when I was at 1,400, I felt like I was starving. I would rather lower my weight loss goals than my calories.

i totally agree with this. at my current goal of 1570 (1 lb loss a week), i have noticed that on the days i don't go to the gym i am starting to go over my calories because i am so use to eating more on the days i go to the gym since i eat my exercise calories. i am considering lowering my weight loss goal to 0.5 lb a week as I am not in any rush and I am only trying to lose another 6-10 lbs
  • MelB124
    Options
    I'm new to all this but I'm taking my friends advice. I'm 27, 5"7, 229 and I eat 1510 a day. I only eat back what I've burned if I burn over 500 cals. I weighed myself this morning and even though I won't record any weight loss/gain until Sunday. I'm 224 (here's hoping) So it seems to be working for me!!
  • B3Streeter
    B3Streeter Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm 23 y/o. 5'2 and weigh 109lbs. My net goal is 1500. I eat back my exercise calories, and on those days I eat around 2000 or more calories. I am maintaining now and have learned that the more food the better!
    A girls gotta' eat!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've had single meals as big as some of the calorie goals here.

I hear you.. I'm not happy unless I have 1000 left for dinner and an evening snack!
  • loves2tap
    loves2tap Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i'm 39, 5'9" and i eat 1740 calories a day...sometimes i eat the ones i burn and other days i dont. it depends on how hungry i am that day.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    5'6, 125 lbs I think, 44yo. I have been maintaining on something about 1550, sedentary lifestyle.

I am judging nobody but I ate 1200 for 2 months to drop from 61 kg to 57 kg and I was hungry all the time. I fit back into my favourite track pants now but 1200, gaah! I hate that swear number! I logged 25 minutes of food preparation to hit that xyz 1200.

Now it is summer and I dont even need the stoopid track pants.
  • jessashcher
    Options
    I am 5'7 and I weigh 157lbs. I just lowered my calories to 1100, I was at 1200 but haven't lost anything for the past week. I don't normally eat my burned calories, I have dipped into them once or twice but try not to. I want to lose another 27 lbs.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    QUOTE: I started on 1200, and did it for about 10 weeks, but i was hungry ALL the time!

I am at 1061 calories per day and 99 grams of protein) I have 2 Herbalife Shakes and 1 meal (about 455 cals) and 2 snacks (about 140 cals) a day and am never hungry. I also take a cell absorption tab to make sure my body uses all that I give it.

So If you are always hungry I would assume that you are not taking in enough Protein.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    Options
    I am 5'7 and I weigh 157lbs. I just lowered my calories to 1100, I was at 1200 but haven't lost anything for the past week. I don't normally eat my burned calories, I have dipped into them once or twice but try not to. I want to lose another 27 lbs.

Sounds like you are on your way and doing it right!
  • ashesoh1234
    ashesoh1234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Wow, I feel like a porker! I eat at least 1500 cal a day and often much more. It's not uncommon for me to eat 1800 or even 2000 calories a day. I'm female, 37 yrs old, 5' 5", and I've lost 56 lbs in the last 25 weeks.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    Options
    I think we all have to remember that everyones body responds differently to exercise and dieting. Tweak according to your needs and what you see happing/working for YOU!
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

Sounds like you are on your way and doing it right!

wrong. you're on your way to destroying your metabolism.

You need to try upping your calories and eating exercise calories instead of lowering your calories.

lowering your calories does nothing but make your body think it's not getting enough fuel so it holds onto everything it has to keep you living. Eating less than 1200 calories isn't going to help weight loss, it's going to slow it down and eventually you'll have wrecked your metabolism so bad it will be hell getting it back on track.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    Options
    QUOTE: wrong. you're on your way to destroying your metabolism.

You need to try upping your calories and eating exercise calories instead of lowering your calories.

lowering your calories does nothing but make your body think it's not getting enough fuel so it holds onto everything it has to keep you living. Eating less than 1200 calories isn't going to help weight loss, it's going to slow it down and eventually you'll have wrecked your metabolism so bad it will be hell getting it back on track.
    [/quote]

WRONG! I am working with a fitness/health professional. I am eating less than 1200 calories a day and AM losing weight!
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I am 19, female, 152lbs, on a 700 cal diet. and I dont eat back what i burn.

you should probably seek help.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    Options
    I am 19, female, 152lbs, on a 700 cal diet. and I dont eat back what i burn.

you should probably seek help.

from a health/fitness professional!