Females: How many calories are you eating daily?

Options

Replies

• foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    QUOTE: wrong. you're on your way to destroying your metabolism.

You need to try upping your calories and eating exercise calories instead of lowering your calories.

lowering your calories does nothing but make your body think it's not getting enough fuel so it holds onto everything it has to keep you living. Eating less than 1200 calories isn't going to help weight loss, it's going to slow it down and eventually you'll have wrecked your metabolism so bad it will be hell getting it back on track.

WRONG! I am working with a fitness/health professional. I am eating less than 1200 calories a day and AM losing weight!
    [/quote]

you're 5'5" and 120lbs and want to lose more weight and a professional agreed with this? I'd question just how professional they are. Even with a small frame you are already at the bottom of a healthy weight for your height.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    QUOTE: wrong. you're on your way to destroying your metabolism.

You need to try upping your calories and eating exercise calories instead of lowering your calories.

lowering your calories does nothing but make your body think it's not getting enough fuel so it holds onto everything it has to keep you living. Eating less than 1200 calories isn't going to help weight loss, it's going to slow it down and eventually you'll have wrecked your metabolism so bad it will be hell getting it back on track.

WRONG! I am working with a fitness/health professional. I am eating less than 1200 calories a day and AM losing weight!

you're 5'5" and 120lbs and want to lose more weight and a professional agreed with this? I'd question just how professional they are. Even with a small frame you are already at the bottom of a healthy weight for your height.
    [/quote]

Yes! I know where my body should be at, I don't use some randon chart that groups all people my age and height.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I usually eat around 600 or 700 calories, 400 or less if it's a good day for me.

anyone who things eating less than 400 cals per day is a good thing needs to get professional help.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Danam, 44, 5'5 120 pounds wants to be 110 and has a health professional's approval.

Judgemental, much, but that sounds barking.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Oh dear, and I am about to be reported for extreme evil doing :(
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

It's not too late to edit. ;-)
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Well, I know I get cranky when I haven't had enough to eat.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Haha, thorn and floyd. Have already been drawn into a pm exchange, anti haha :(
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Haha, thorn and floyd. Have already been drawn into a pm exchange, anti haha :(

If it's not productive, don't respond. Sometimes there's just no room for a compromise.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Cheers, floyd, good advice. Live and let live, and never let my daughter near this forum unsupervised.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Usually 1200 but allow myself to go to 1600 on some days. I definitely eat back my exercise calories. If I know there's no way I can eat them back in a healthy manner due to being sick, being busy, etc..., I just don't exercise for the day. If I don't do this, I'm most likely to binge around temptations.
  • joeygirl84
    joeygirl84 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    27, 172 LBS AND I EAT 1210.
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm 189 lbs and allowed 1200 calories per MFP calculations. I usually eat close to 1200 (slightly under) and don't eat back exercise calories.

I'm having a hard time getting 1200 calories in in a day... I usually eat 900-1000.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I'm 27, 5'7", 126lbs, 1200 calories, will usually eat back at least half of my exercise calories.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Gotta pimp this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395948-caloric-intake-results?page=1#posts-5451195

A study on MFP members showing that women with low body fat eat about 1900 calories a day.
  • bresmith143
    Options
    I weigh 145 and I eat about 1400 a day and I eat exercise calories most of the time
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Gotta pimp this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395948-caloric-intake-results?page=1#posts-5451195

A study on MFP members showing that women with low body fat eat about 1900 calories a day.

YESSSSS!!!!

See ladies, you CAN lose mass, look damn good, and STILL EAT! OMG, imagine that?!?!
    And to those of you who "can't seem to eat more than 900-1000 a day"....uhm, bull. You are here for a reason...at some point you were very able to eat more than that. Now, if you want to do it healthily - try adding 2 tbsp of peanut butter to your day - boom, you're at 1200 now...and if I do say so myself, peanut butter and honeycrisp apples = heaven! Any healthy fats or whole fat milk if you drink skim will help you add a few extra calories to your diet to easily get you to 1200 (or higher should you choose) without feeling stuffed.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options

Thanks!! I had been one of the responders when psulemon was collecting data, and wondered what the results were.

Edit to add: THIS is the most important part of what psulemon posted: "And if you want to lower your body fat and have definition how can you get there without feeding your body because with each lb of lean body mass you are losing, you are reducing caloric needs by ~ 15.2 calories."

Plain english: if you are starving yourself, you are losing lean body mass, which means you will have to keep starving yourself because you are reducing your calorie need.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options

YESSSSS!!!!

See ladies, you CAN lose mass, look damn good, and STILL EAT! OMG, imagine that?!?!
    And to those of you who "can't seem to eat more than 900-1000 a day"....uhm, bull. You are here for a reason...at some point you were very able to eat more than that. Now, if you want to do it healthily - try adding 2 tbsp of peanut butter to your day - boom, you're at 1200 now...and if I do say so myself, peanut butter and honeycrisp apples = heaven! Any healthy fats or whole fat milk if you drink skim will help you add a few extra calories to your diet to easily get you to 1200 (or higher should you choose) without feeling stuffed.

On junk, yes, it's easy to go over 1200 cals.

When I decided to eat healthy, I also had no problem going over 1200 until I found out I was sensitive to grains. Seriously, I was having pasta and bread everyday. Without grains now, yeah, I'm kind of at a lost as to what to eat that is also comparably delicious and inexpensive for me. Grains are very cheap. I was getting whole grain pastas at 25 cents a box, and I can get a 30lb bag of rice for $20.

I can't eat peanuts but will look into other nuts to boost up my cals. I like walnuts, but they are pricey. So far, I've been drinking apple juice and eating dried fruits to get to1200 cals in addition to what I already eat, lean meats and veggies. I'm also probably going to incorporate potatoes into my diet and see how that goes, olive oil, avocados when they're on sale, etc.... Unfortunately, I don't like beans.
  • Cysso
    Cysso Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm 23 and 193.7 lbs. I have about 50 more lbs to lose and my rate of loss is set to 1 lb a week. I give myself 1,840 calories a day, 300 of which are for breastfeeding (so 1540 base and 300 for milk production). If I don't eat back my exercise calories my milk supply drops and my daughter gets upset (which is understandable). When I stop breastfeeding I'll probably reevaluate and see what my body needs me to do with my exercise calories.