Females: How many calories are you eating daily?

Options

Replies

• delicate_lass
    Options
    It depends.. I always plan what I am going to eat the night before and in my plan it's always around 1200-1224 cals. however I only stick to it for 2-3consecutive days, then I exceed the amount other days, BUT still keeping under 1500 in theori.. in reality I sometimes go over that if I eat more than I planned to..

so ideally I am aiming for 1200 calories and slighty over..I do not excersise much, but when I do, I prefer not to eat my burned calories.

ps. I am new to this forum and would really like some weightloss buddies, also, prior to applying for this website I have lost 16 pounds (it sucks that I can not enter a start weight in my ticker :S)
  • peppymint
    Options
    Wow, I have found this thread to be a fascinating eye-opener. What a HUGE variance there is in people's caloric intake! I'm really saddened by how low some people eat. I've been on here for about 9 months and basically haven't lost anything. I've tried lots of things, but basically all fairly low, often having a net of about 800-1100 because I'm very active and run 5 days a week. I'm 5"3 and 134 lbs. And yes, I am usually hungry, (okay sometimes starving) most of the time. Just in the last few days I'm taking someone's advice from on here and upping my daily average from about 1300-1600 to 1850 and it's a little scary I admit. I've done this for 3 days, and judging by my hunger levels I'll be taking it higher. But it's a step of faith I tell you! It seems like way too much food, although it's also a relief for my hunger.

Upping your daily average is an absolutely fantastic idea. "starvation mode" for the average woman is 1200 calories or lower. When you go any lower than around 1200, your body starts holding on to any fat storage it has because it is afraid you aren't going to be intaking enough nutrients. The best way to lose your weight is to up your calorie intake, so your body isn't clutching onto your fat. I eat approximately 1450 calories a day, and dont eat back my exercise calories. I find this has worked very well for me. We have a similar stature.. i'm 5'5" and weigh 140. Try upping your calories and see how it works!
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Gotta pimp this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395948-caloric-intake-results?page=1#posts-5451195

A study on MFP members showing that women with low body fat eat about 1900 calories a day.

That is a fascinating little study. Thank you for posting that! I may have to share that with some people both on here and in RL.

I know for a fact that some of those women who are so proud of eating 2000+ cals regularly burn over a 1000 cals a day through exercise, so they're actually netting around 1000 which is not high. From a weight loss perspective this is no different than eating 1100 (under the magical minimum 1200 number) and then burning a 100.

I'm assuming you also know that they don't eat any of those calories back.

Yes, the ones I am talking about don't. But i don't see why you need clarification. I plainly said they eat 2000 cals. And burn 1000. I didn't say they eat 3000, or 2500, or 2800 (which would be eating exercise calories back).
    ps I don't have a problem with any of this, the only thing I have a problem with is when some of these people come down hard on others who eat less, because it's hypocritical.

I'd love to know who you are referring to. Anyone I know from that thread is sure to NET at least 1200 but often eat over 2000 cals easily because they are so active. There is one girl who is only 5' tall and anyone that short has a much lower BMR. Anyone is welcome to come check out the threads and read what people are doing to look so HOT while EATING! :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Gotta pimp this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395948-caloric-intake-results?page=1#posts-5451195

A study on MFP members showing that women with low body fat eat about 1900 calories a day.

That is a fascinating little study. Thank you for posting that! I may have to share that with some people both on here and in RL.

I know for a fact that some of those women who are so proud of eating 2000+ cals regularly burn over a 1000 cals a day through exercise, so they're actually netting around 1000 which is not high. From a weight loss perspective this is no different than eating 1100 (under the magical minimum 1200 number) and then burning a 100.

It's also in no way a "study". It is a survey of sorts with no control or measure for accuracy.

I've always found that eating enough so that you are not hungry works. If you exercise and burn more calories it's just common sense that you will need to eat more in order to not be hungry.
  • RisyaLifsheTova
    RisyaLifsheTova Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I am 31yrs young :) 5'5 and 220lbs :) I eat about 1500 calories a day. Nothing more unless im a little hungry still :)
  • angelapolite
    Options
    I'm 39 and I eat 1300 calories a day. :flowerforyou:
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I'M 192, MAINTAINING NOW AND EAT 1,790 CALS A DAY. I EAT BACK AT LEAST HALF OF MY BURN CALORIES NO MATTER WHAT. YOU HAVE TO KEEP FUELING THE FIRE YOU KNOW....
  • SlinkyPinkyBunsOfSteel
    Options
    I'm supposed to be eating 1200 calories, but I eat anywhere between 1200 and 1600 cals. I usually burn off 800-1000 calories through excersise daily.:drinker: (I'm 5ft2 and 35 years of age. I weigh 155lbs)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

I'm assuming you also know that they don't eat any of those calories back.

Yes, the ones I am talking about don't. But i don't see why you need clarification. I plainly said they eat 2000 cals. And burn 1000. I didn't say they eat 3000, or 2500, or 2800 (which would be eating exercise calories back).
    ps I don't have a problem with any of this, the only thing I have a problem with is when some of these people come down hard on others who eat less, because it's hypocritical.

I'd love to know who you are referring to. Anyone I know from that thread is sure to NET at least 1200 but often eat over 2000 cals easily because they are so active. There is one girl who is only 5' tall and anyone that short has a much lower BMR. Anyone is welcome to come check out the threads and read what people are doing to look so HOT while EATING! :)

It would be in poor taste to single people out. I didn't have any one specific person in mind FYI. My point exactly - some people will eat that much and then run around telling everyone they should do that (and sometimes come down on people who don't) but they fail to share, in the same breath, that they burn the majority of all those calories off. So they're leaving people with the impression that the average person who burns let's say 200-300 cals through exercise can also meet their weight loss goals eating that much. Simply not the case. Again I don't have a problem with people eating so much, that's great! But then don't be hypocritical, netting around 1000-1200 and then tell others that they're eating too little (when they themselves are netting low).
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

It would be in poor taste to single people out. I didn't have any one specific person in mind FYI. My point exactly - some people will eat that much and then run around telling everyone they should do that (and sometimes come down on people who don't) but they fail to share, in the same breath, that they burn the majority of all those calories off. So they're leaving people with the impression that the average person who burns let's say 200-300 cals through exercise can also meet their weight loss goals eating that much. Simply not the case. Again I don't have a problem with people eating so much, that's great! But then don't be hypocritical, netting around 1000-1200 and then tell others that they're eating too little (when they themselves are netting low).

Yes, not every woman can eat 2000 calories. Small women who don't work out that much cannot. However, the point of the group is to be around people who aren't eating 1200 calories because we simply have nothing in common with them and think that most people eating 1200 should / can eat more. We aren't encouraging women to eating 2000 blindly. We encourage women to find their maintenance, subtract a small number from that (200-300 calories), then workout and eat their exercise calories.

I however DID lose weight eating 2000+ calories. My maintenance is 2200 at 150lbs. So yes, I lost weight netting 1800-2000 calories, and grossing 2000-2500 calories. Right now I'm trying to gain muscle and net 2500.
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My base calorie goal is 1720, but I usually end up eating between 2000-2100 after my exercise calories are added in. I would die if my calorie goal was 1200! LOL

Same here! Mine's 1790....I usually eat 1500-1790 if I don't exercise, but if I DO exercise, I play tennis, and end up with 2700 cals for the day or something....I never EAT more than 2200 though :)
  • Ali_TSO
    Options
    Oh, I'm 29 and 326 lbs right now, lost 27 so far!
  • Ali_TSO
    Options
    I'm shocked by how few calories most women here eat. I eat about 2,000 to 2,200 calories per day, which, minus exercise, nets me about 1,600 to 1,800. I dropped down to a net of about 1,400 for a couple weeks and stopped losing (not to mention that I was STARVING). I changed my goals to 1.5 pounds a week, and I've started losing consistently, again (and often more than 1.5 per week).

I feel the same way, there's no way I could do 1200. I think maybe some people don't realize you can lose weight with a higher cal goal and not be hungry all the time. :(
  • servilia
    Options
    I'm shocked by how few calories most women here eat. I eat about 2,000 to 2,200 calories per day, which, minus exercise, nets me about 1,600 to 1,800. I dropped down to a net of about 1,400 for a couple weeks and stopped losing (not to mention that I was STARVING). I changed my goals to 1.5 pounds a week, and I've started losing consistently, again (and often more than 1.5 per week).

I feel the same way, there's no way I could do 1200. I think maybe some people don't realize you can lose weight with a higher cal goal and not be hungry all the time. :(

Why do you assume those on 1200 are "hungry all the time"? I've been on 1200 and trust me I was not hungry lol
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    28 y/o, 141 lbs, 1200 calories per day. I do Not eat the calories I burnt.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

Why do you assume those on 1200 are "hungry all the time"? I've been on 1200 and trust me I was not hungry lol
    personal experience id guess - even when i was eating 1330 i was starving all the time... i did lots of exercise just so i could eat more.
  • servilia
    Options

personal experience id guess - even when i was eating 1330 i was starving all the time... i did lots of exercise just so i could eat more.

I see.. sorry you felt that way. I just don't want people to be pitying us and looking down on us! We're not all hungry lol I'm sure SOME people are, but not everyone. :) I saved almost all my cals for dinner though (not hungry during the day) so I had a really satisfying evening every time!
  • CBranson0503
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1200 a day. I do eat some of my exercise calories. I look at the net calories and make sure they are still at 1200 though.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1100 - 1600 calories on any given day... 1400 is my average I think.
    I don't aim to eat my exercise calories.. but sometimes friends want to go out for ice cream and it's good to have those calories so you don't feel guilty for eating the ice cream. :)

I used to do the 1200 calories a day, but I decided to change my weight loss goals to go a little slower and so I can eat more. :) I've been losing very steadily and I haven't hit a plateau this whole time.
    And it all honesty, once I reach my goal, I'm going to be eating around 1600-1700 calories most likely.. and taking a jump from 1200 to 1600 just wouldn't be reasonable for me, haha.
  • CBranson0503
    Options

I see.. sorry you felt that way. I just don't want people to be pitying us and looking down on us! We're not all hungry lol I'm sure SOME people are, but not everyone. :) I saved almost all my cals for dinner though (not hungry during the day) so I had a really satisfying evening every time!

I do not feel hungry with a 1200 calorie goal, but I also have a desk job where I sit all day. The only time I really feel hungry is in the morning, but I workout in the eveings so I am sure that is the root cause of that. I get hungry right after my workout too, but I allow for a post-workout snack for that.