Looking for top 5 tips from all of you successful people...

Options

Replies

• debbiebaz
    debbiebaz Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • lexximan
    lexximan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Steph62002
    Options
    Need suggestions on how to make exercise a habit...I really do not like to exercise and will come up with every excuse!
    Any ideas/suggestions??
    Find something you love and go with it! I tried a number of different cardio exercises until I found that I love doing kickboxing. If you find something that you truly enjoy doing, it is much easier to do! I also love to lift weights. Take pictures every 30 days and record your measurements, seeing those changes will also help to keep you motivated.
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Divagettinfitin2011 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • trentnivins
    trentnivins Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    1.discipline is key ( kick yourself till you are focused)
    2.log all food here on mfp ( pick healthy food look online, try a diabetic diet)
    3. Eat breakfast have a snack eat lunch snack dinner snack before bed
    4.portion size and control ( stick with this for two weeks no cheating stick with it,
    This will form the habit of healthy eating and proper amounts, yes it's very tough but so worth it, IT'S ONLY 14DAYS STICK WITH IT YOU WILL THANK YOUR SELF and hopefully me :-)
    5. Plan ahead for cheat days use your birthday, holidays ie. Thanksgiving, Xmas , eater etc, like five six times a year to eat that really yummy food that you want but only then
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options

4. Take pictures every time you lose five lbs. It's great to be able to look back and see the progress you've made.

^This! If it wasn't for the photos my motivation would have dropped to zilch numerous times.

Drink lots of water
    Make sure you get plenty of fiber
    Measure everything. Food and your body.
    Build a support system both in person and online if possible.
  • Nichole1981
    Nichole1981 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KettyLan
    KettyLan Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kristinabb
    Options
    1. In the beginning it is 50% diet 50% work out !
    When I say 50% / 50% I mean 100 / 100 :) you need to count your calories and really push yourself 5-6 days a week in the gym

2. Don't look for reasons to give up! Everyone stalls, everyone plateaus, every woman gets TOM, everyone has off days everyone falls off the wagon a day or two, but your plateau is not forever but changing your life can be.

3. Think long term.... Ask yourself what you are willing to do long term as in "the rest of your life" and strive to get there. Was I going to stay on 1200 calories forever? no. Can I do it short term ? Yes. Therefore, I decided I could run/ lift 4-5 days a week for as long as my body allows (running 7-8 miles a day and lifting) so I can eat 2000 calories a day.

So in short we learn that its diet A N D exercise. No excuse. Thats how it is unless you want your weight loss to be temporary or you want to count calories (and keep them low) forever.
    1)the 50 / 50 (100/100 )
    2)Dont Give up
    3)Think long term
  • jshoe33
    jshoe33 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1. Use your willPower...it's free and it's yours

2. Exercise EVERYDAY - FIND at least 20 minutes for YOU

3. Log EVERYTHING you put into your body and make sure you never see your calories in the RED

4. Set a goal and reach it

5. Workout smarter, not harder...precision = efficient = more calorie burn in less time.
  • fixeruppper
    fixeruppper Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question. I started reading the replies and am blown away with all the wonderful suggestions. Hope you benefit from so many helpful people and take their advice. I couldn't stay on a diet before and like you just couldn't get myself together enough to even get started. Self talk finally worked for me and I didn't beat myself up. Start with MFP and just record everything you eat for a week. Don't worry about dieting, just make yourself write down everything you eat. Hopefully this may be enough to get you going. Good luck!!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    1. Plan ahead, consider what you might be eating in a day and make priorities. e.g. know that you're going for a drink/cake that day, put that in your diary first and base the rest of the day around it.

2. If you fall off the wagon get back on. It's the getting back on track that really matters the most. There will be high calorie days in the future - friends get married, you might have reason to celebrate an anniversary etc, it might be an important family meal, we can't be too strict all the time - just most of the time! ; )

3. Try not to eat rubbish, refined sugary stuff that plays hugely with your appetite and blood sugar and plus you get more food for cals if you eat more of the healthy stuff and trust me...it's filling!

4. Work out, but try and find something you enjoy and do it when you feel like doing it. I started MFP barely doing more than walking and it was after I lost the weight that I felt motivated to get out and move around and really, believe what they say...it DOES make you feel great. : P

5. Your friends are your secret weapon; your advisory group and you should pick and keep them wisely. My MFP friends are my biggest inspiration and motivation.

And good luck, you are the one in control... take charge! x
  • cherikasalzmann
    Options
    This is not possible for me, My partner and his 13 year old son eat whatever they want. Cookies, brownies, ice cream, pizza, hot dogs, cheese, peanut butter, mac and cheese, processed white bread....you get the picture. I have asked them to limit/change their eating habits to no avail. I go back and fourth from sticking to it to having food binges when no one is looking! Self will run riot all too often. Now what?
  • trentnivins
    trentnivins Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This is not possible for me, My partner and his 13 year old son eat whatever they want. Cookies, brownies, ice cream, pizza, hot dogs, cheese, peanut butter, mac and cheese, processed white bread....you get the picture. I have asked them to limit/change their eating habits to no avail. I go back and fourth from sticking to it to having food binges when no one is looking! Self will run riot all too often. Now what?
    Not possible MULE FRITTERS, BULL COOKIES I say you just need to read point number one in my original post. Let them eat whatever they want feed yourself what you need to meet your goals!
  • Jayney10
    Options
    bump
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    1. Eliminate processed foods, refined sugars, and junk food
    2. Up your protein, limit your fats
    3. Drink your water
    4. Mix up your exercise (strength and cardio)
    5. Eat back your exercise calories

Look at my ticker...I'm at goal...that should tell you something.

This is the plan! I do the same, watch my simple carbs and sodium as well. I also gave up soda and it made a big difference! While I am not up to strength training yet but I do resistance bands plus cardio and walking.

You can do it!!! We did!!!
  • ashleyplus3
    ashleyplus3 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    bump - thanks to everyone for the wonderful tips! :smile:
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Feel like I'm beating a dead horse by posting on here since there are already so many posts, but these are my top five:

1. Drink water. I keep a Camelbak bottle with me at all times and fill it up approx. 4 times a day
    2. Try to get .5-1 g of protein per pound of lean body mass
    3. Eat regularly throughout the day to stave off binging tendencies
    4. Make sure to do cardio AND strength training
    5. Get at least 6 hours of sleep a night
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I've found it so helpful to think of my calories as money. Every day, I am allotted x amount of money, and each thing I eat costs me. If I have a Dunkin Donuts bagel (my fave!) it will simply cost me more in the AM and I'll have less in the PM to spend. Helps to even it all out, and when you look at certain things, you'll realize the calorie cost is simply not worth it!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am stuck in a rut that I can't get out of. I have tried numerous times to eat healthy/exercise more/lose weight and have not been successful yet. I have no excuses...I know why I haven't been successful...it's because I don't do what needs to be done. I skip a few days here and there of working out...I don't stay within my calorie range because I just have to have that second slice of pizza or another chocolate chip cookie. And I know I am not the only one who has been in this position...you have all started somewhere and dug yourself out and have reached your goal or are on your way to reaching it. So what I am looking for is what tips do you have for a fellow MFP who has not been successful yet. Everyone is different so hopefully I find a few that work for me!

What are your top 5?!

don't ever CENY the second slice of Pizza or the extra cookie. Work out before hand and EARN that second slice. denying any sort of food is a path to misery. just keep your focus, work on your cardio and ENJOY your food..and water...lots of water....and once you have made inroads with cardio,add some resistance/strength/core training...mix things up, keep it interesting...lots of water..but don't ever deny yourself the food you love...earn it...and if you haven't earn't it you know how hard you must work to indulge and that should put a stop to that!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!