water!

Options
1235»

Replies

• Theamazingem
    Options
    be careful with how much water you drink. I would say stick to the 8 glasses a day (8 oz each glass) there is such a thing as water poisoning and you can do a lot of damage to your kidneys. On a happy note, the more you force yourself to drink it the more you'll start craving it instead of juice or soda. I used to force myself to drink water and now I love it! soda just tastes weird to me now.. and I used to love soda

10512123.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Water itself is also a diuretic. But, as with tea and coffee, the amount of water you actually take in far, far outweighs the diuretic effect.

Does water dehydrates the body?

Actually, since you asked, water can dehydrate the body. Hydration requires water AND electrolytes (which we normally get from our food), if you have too much water and too little electrolytes you will dehydrate just as you would if you had too many electrolytes and too little water.

By the way, on the 'medical professional' thing - you are right, obviously people have every right not to take me on my word on my professional status, same for you. I did not however say 'I'm a dietitian, so I am right', I used and agreed with scientific reasoning. I only mentioned that I was a dietitian in the sense that I am perhaps more likely to hear food myths at my work so it was somewhat amusing that it was the first time I had heard this particular one.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Intechpc, when has God taken me out of my body and put you in it? I don't have to prove anything to you. I know who I am. You are nothing but words on a screen. I don't know you and you definitely don't know me, so stop trying to make it seems as if you are me. I have a medical degree and you can't change that fact. I'm finished talking to you. Have a nice life!

You are an MD? PhD? What is your specific degree and area of study?
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Uh....also, your pee isn't necessarily supposed to be CLEAR. CLEAR urine can be a sign of over hydration or diabetes.
    Your pee should be light yellow/straw colored.

Thank you for pointing this out! I think there are masses of people on MFP that are grossly overhydrating and probably making a lot more trips to pee than is really necessary for good health! :-)

Funny

What...dont think over hydrating is possible? It is.

Erin, of course it is, I just had to laugh about that so called sarcasm, which you didn't catch.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I'm going to say this and then I'm done with this topic.

What do I see as water?

Wa·ter (wô“t…r, w¼t“…r) n. 1. A clear, colorless, odorless, and tasteless liquid, H2O, essential for most plant and animal life and the most widely used of all solvents.

I know that some people count coffee and tea as water, but I don't, because they aren't water to me. Some people don't even drink regular coffee, they drink Frappuccino or Cappuccino and they are both coffee as well. I don't even see them as water.

Our body is made up of 70% water, according to some studies. Some studies have the amount less and some have it more. Anyway is goes, the body is made up of a huge percentage of water.

I will speak for my body. My body doesn't see coffee, tea, soda, juice, etc. as water and it's not supposed to see it as water.

A lot of medicine are required to be taken with water. I could be wrong, but I don't think people would drink coffee, tea, etc. with their medicine that states to take with water.

My body needs water. My body can live without coffee, tea, soda water, etc. but it can't live without water.

Water helps with fat loss. Coffee, tea, soda water, etc. don't. Please note that I have said fat loss and not scale weight loss.

Keep doing what you think is right for your body.

YoIPy.gif
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    If you dont drink water, at then look into drinking a pregnant person's pee...I hear it works.
  • GettingFit4Me2011
    Options
    I drink water! When I first started out on increasing my water intake...I could not stand just plain water, so I went for the flavored waters. After a month or two, I suddenly stopped using the flavoring and just started drinking plain water. I love it!

Drink some water if you think you are hungry, this just might fix the hungry pains.
  • spottedlee
    Options
    AZackery said,,,,,,,,

I know what I'm talking about.
    I noticed in all your claims, you haven't source any of it. Many, many resources says you don't NEED to gulp 64oz of pure water or more per day when you can get a good amount of it through other ways, coffee, soup, fruits to name a few.
    One good example,, if you are in middle of desert in AZ and there's no water... where can you find it,, it was right front of your face the whole time,, Cactus! Does it count as water? YES!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    If you don't drink "enough" water, you'll die.

Many diet sites recommend lots of water for a very good reason — it curbs your appetite and it gives you something to do with your mouth. Other than that, there's no medical advantage to drinking scads of water.

I'm not knocking the habit of drinking water if you need it. It does help curb your appetite, no doubt. And, when I was losing weight, one of the reasons I ate so much salad was that it kept me chewing!

If you don't need water for those, however, there's a good chance that you get enough water in your diet without having to drink plain water.

Even Snopes weighs in on the need to drink that much water.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

And then there's this document:

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/283/5/R993.full
  • jlafas1981
    Options
    WOW I need 18 oz of water.....just thinking about that is making me ill :(
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Can you explain how to do the math please? The way I understand it,, I weigh 268,, so this mean 268 divided by 2 equals 134, therfore it's 134 oz of water? GULP,, that's almost 17 cups of water,, Did I do the math right? 17 cups seem too way much for me, more than twice then suggested.
    That would tend to cast some doubt on the theory, eh?

Note, also, that approach does not take into account activity, temperature, or humidity.

Other than that, it's dead accurate! :-)

Drinking water can help people lose weight. Specifically, if you drink water before a meal, you will tend to eat less. Also, drinking water gives you something to do with your mouth and it's better for obese people to put water in their mouth than something that is completely devoid of any nutritional benefit.

Other than that, I can't think of a reason to drink much water. Neither can this guy:

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/283/5/R993.full

And even Snopes:
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp