Catch phrases that annoy you....

Options

Replies

• amayzingamanda
    amayzingamanda Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I halfway feel bad for posting cuz someone earlier said they didn't like the phrase "amazing" so uh..... sorrry in advance lol

I absolutely cannot stand when people talk like they are typing a text message to their friends. I understand in a world of 140 characters or less, when you have something long to say, you will abbreviate. But seriously, did your English teacher (or insert whatever they are called outside of America) really teach you that it's ok to say "I-D-K, my B-F-F Jill" out loud as an acceptable sentence???? Or another example "B-T-W I defs wanna go out T-N" or "obvi" etc etc I'm sure you all get the point.

It drives me bonkers. For real.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Any use of the word "Peeps" that is not in reference to little marshmallow ducks makes me want to punch babies.
    Ah love mah peeps.

I insist on pics of you punching babies.
  • binary_jester
    Options
    I halfway feel bad for posting cuz someone earlier said they didn't like the phrase "amazing" so uh..... sorrry in advance lol

I absolutely cannot stand when people talk like they are typing a text message to their friends. I understand in a world of 140 characters or less, when you have something long to say, you will abbreviate. But seriously, did your English teacher (or insert whatever they are called outside of America) really teach you that it's ok to say "I-D-K, my B-F-F Jill" out loud as an acceptable sentence???? Or another example "B-T-W I defs wanna go out T-N" or "obvi" etc etc I'm sure you all get the point.

I get the texting thing...but people who use that form of writing here in the forums makes me want to kick kittens LOL.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    another one that irks me is 'in my opinion/ in my honest opinion'...of COURSE it's your opinion. that's why YOU are saying it..LMAO don't even get me started..

Thing is, that one is justified in some cases. I could say "breakfast sucks" like it's a fact. Saying "In my opinion" means i dont consider it a "fact", its just how i feel about it.

but the fact that you said it, yourself. means it's your opinion. no? just seems like overkill to me. like...'in my opinion, mondays are overrated' or i could just say, 'mondays are overrated' and i'm pretty sure whoever i'm talking to will know that it is indeed, MY opinion
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options

hahahahaa! some of the abbreviations that i see on here drive me up the wall, they have an abbreviation for EVERYTHING. pretty soon it's going to be entire sentences..
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    "it is what it is" is annoying to me, but I hear it so much I've started using it...which is even more annoying!
    I have a restraining order
    I'll call the police

I hate those.

hahaha... HAHAHAH!!!
  • alair1980
    alair1980 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Not a phrase per se, but the use of the word "literally" as in "I literally wanted to die". Did you? Did you really want to die? No, I thought not!!!!!
    And the fact that when I use the word, I have to preface it by saying that I mean the word literally, quite literally.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    The Greensheet catchphrase is the stupidest thing i've ever heard.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    "Things could be worse"

I am aware of that....but just let me b*itch about what pisses me off right now and I will worry about 3rd world countries later....
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    "At the end of the day". It didn't bother me so much until my ex got me into Jersey Shore (something I'm still cursing him for). That's like half of the show..just "at the end of the day" all the time.

Everyone from my region says that. I admit, I have guilty for abusing it too.
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    The use of the word "journey"...unless you are about to embark across country in a covered wagon.

I feel like you are entitled to say it as much as you like if you are Steve Perry...

lmfao
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    "Epic." It wasn't even cute when people started using it, and it definitely isn't now. Unless you are referring to The Odyssey or The Illiad, that **** is NOT "epic."
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    "It is what it is"

^ This ^
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I hate the phrase, and I hate even more than I catch myself using it lately... "I'm just sayin"
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    I get sick of people quoting Marilyn Monroe. She was a horrible role model for women. She banged a married man and acted like a dittzy blonde for money.
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    "My bad" Hell yeah it's your "bad" and I wanna smack you in the genitals
  • ranewell
    ranewell Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I also had an ex that always said "no worries..." AAAAARRRRGGGGHHH
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    "You have the right to remain silent, anything you do say will be taken down and may be used as evidence against you in a court of law"

Why can't they come up with something original for a change?
  • binary_jester
    Options
    "You have the right to remain silent, anything you do say will be taken down and may be used as evidence against you in a court of law"

Why can't they come up with something original for a change?
    You mean like...

*shot fired*

"FREEZE!"
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    "we'll see"