I only eat dinner...good or bad?

Options

Replies

• cheetosandburritos
    cheetosandburritos Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    There's also a book called the warrior diet. He writes about eating the same way you do.
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/61580105/OriHofmekler-The-Warrior-Diet-Fat-Loss-Program
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Your body NEEDS food all day for fuel. If eating breakfast makes you hungry all day, try eating the right, filling foods that sustain hunger much longer. I personally can't go without eating breakfast and eat at least 6 times a day. It doesn't make me overeat or feel like I'm starving. But, whatever works for you. You don't need other peoples' opinions.
  • choconuts
    choconuts Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's bad at all, it's the standard calories in vs calories out. To ME, doesn't matter WHEN you consume your calories.

I quit eating breakfast for a similar reason. I've NEVER been a breakfast eater, yet when I started MFP I tried to force myself. I found myself starving at night with no calories left.

I no longer eat breakfast, and can have more 'snacks' during the afternoon or after dinner. Works much better for my body.
  • itontae
    itontae Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    sounds like it's working well for you.
    It actually makes a lot of sense.
    Keep up the good work :smile:
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Everyone can find an article to support or discourage you from what you are doing(or anything anyone does for that matter!)...My motto is if it is working, you feel strong and not worn down and tired, and you are getting all the nutrients you need then I say go for it.

There is no "one size fits all" for weight loss.

Good luck!!!
  • mommie3car
    Options
    I started seeing the nutrionist last week and she gave me a 5 small a day plan and believe or not I feel great. When you don't eat during the day your body is storing the fat that it has. You have to eat breakfast. I am loosing weight and not feeling sluggish
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    When you don't eat during the day your body is storing the fat that it has. You have to eat breakfast.

albatross-l-stare.jpg
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Everyone can find an article to support or discourage you from what you are doing(or anything anyone does for that matter!)...My motto is if it is working, you feel strong and not worn down and tired, and you are getting all the nutrients you need then I say go for it.

There is no "one size fits all" for weight loss.

Good luck!!!

Agreed!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    So, do all these people who insist you get fat only eating once a day and that it isn't healthy really think that human beings evolved eating several meals a day? A hundred thousand years ago humans were lucky to eat one meal every few days. In the Middle Ages, people generally ate once a day, if they could even eat every day.

If you had to eat several meals a day in order to survive and be healthy, the human race would've died out hundreds of thousands of years ago.
  • cprys8942
    cprys8942 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    So, do all these people who insist you get fat only eating once a day and that it isn't healthy really think that human beings evolved eating several meals a day? A hundred thousand years ago humans were lucky to eat one meal every few days. In the Middle Ages, people generally ate once a day, if they could even eat every day.

If you had to eat several meals a day in order to survive and be healthy, the human race would've died out hundreds of thousands of years ago.

lol i love this.
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I started seeing the nutrionist last week and she gave me a 5 small a day plan and believe or not I feel great. When you don't eat during the day your body is storing the fat that it has. You have to eat breakfast. I am loosing weight and not feeling sluggish

The way this reads to me... My nutritionist put me on 5 meals a day and I feel great so if everyone else in the world eats 5 meals a day they'll lose weight and feel great too.

Eating more meals doesn't make you lose weight. Eating less calories then your daily caloric burn is what causes you to lose weight. The reason why nutritionists recommend eating many small meals is because you're less likely to be hungry. Note I said less likely. Losing weight is as personal as each persons fingerprint or signature. We're all different and you telling the OP that she has to eat breakfast is as small minded as if I were to tell you that eating 5 meals a day is wrong for you. However I'm not going to go there because I'd be wrong for telling you to change what's working for you.

Shame on everyone that is telling the OP that what she's doing is wrong just because it's wrong for you. What she's doing is perfectly safe and is working for her. Try a little support... that's what these forums are for.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options

The way this reads to me... My nutritionist put me on 5 meals a day and I feel great so if everyone else in the world eats 5 meals a day they'll lose weight and feel great too.

Eating more meals doesn't make you lose weight. Eating less calories then your daily caloric burn is what causes you to lose weight. The reason why nutritionists recommend eating many small meals is because you're less likely to be hungry. Note I said less likely. Losing weight is as personal as each persons fingerprint or signature. We're all different and you telling the OP that she has to eat breakfast is as small minded as if I were to tell you that eating 5 meals a day is wrong for you. However I'm not going to go there because I'd be wrong for telling you to change what's working for you.

Shame on everyone that is telling the OP that what she's doing is wrong just because it's wrong for you. What she's doing is perfectly safe and is working for her. Try a little support... that's what these forums are for.

Praise be to Bruce... Bruce be praised!
  • eddiegirll
    Options
    Sounds to me your body is hungry in the evening & wanting to pig out to make up for the loss of energy earlier in the day.

Breakfast is just that (break the fast)....very important :heart: fuel for the body.....coffee does take hunger away & "sorta" satisfies that no breakfast feeling, but it doesn't take the place of a hot bowl of oatmeal :love: When that happens to me, I make myself eat whether I feel like it or not. :smooched:

Sounds like you might need to work on fueling small meals on the go, so you don't have to pig out at dinner time. I know how that feels; not good! I don't like it & won't allow that to happen to me.:cry:

5'4"
    Started Sept. 5, 2011
    Sept. 12, 2011:smokin: smokin
    Sept. 19, 2011:sad: sad
    Sept. 26, 2011:smokin: sad
    Oct. 3, 2011:ohwell: ohwell
    Oct. 10, 2011:noway: noway
    Oct. 17, 2011:ohwell: ohwell :yawn: tomorrow will be a better day!
    125-145---Goal weight
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me your body is hungry in the evening & wanting to pig out to make up for the loss of energy earlier in the day.

Breakfast is just that (break the fast)....very important :heart: fuel for the body.....coffee does take hunger away & "sorta" satisfies that no breakfast feeling, but it doesn't take the place of a hot bowl of oatmeal :love:

Sounds like you might need to work on fueling small meals on the go, so you don't have to pig out at dinner time. I know how that feels; not good! I don't like it & won't allow that to happen to me.:cry:

5'4"
    Started Sept. 5, 2011
    Sept. 12, 2011:smokin:
    Sept. 19, 2011:sad:
    Sept. 26, 2011:smokin:
    Oct. 3, 2011:ohwell:
    Oct. 10, 2011:noway:
    Oct. 17, 2011:ohwell:
    125-145---Goal weight

Did you just read the OP, then hit reply without reading anything else in this thread?

Bottled water companies and Breakfast Cereal companies are like priests. They bombard with with totally unproven, dubious, and sometimes downright false stuff, and people just believe it and buy their product.

Sigh...
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options

Breakfast is just that (break the fast)....very important :heart: fuel for the body.....coffee does take hunger away & "sorta" satisfies that no breakfast feeling, but it doesn't take the place of a hot bowl of oatmeal :love:

5'4"
    Started Sept. 5, 2011
    Sept. 12, 2011:smokin:
    Sept. 19, 2011:sad:
    Sept. 26, 2011:smokin:
    Oct. 3, 2011:ohwell:
    Oct. 10, 2011:noway:
    Oct. 17, 2011:ohwell:
    125-145---Goal weight

Seriously did you bother to read the post, she's not saying that she's that hungry. She's asking if it's ok to eat all of her calories in 1 meal and it is ok.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is only "very important" if you have problems with self control later in the day. It does not have a noticeable effect on your metabolism.

Eating lots of small meals does NOT boost your metabolism and burn more calories than eating your whole daily allowance in 1 sitting. If you find it helps you, by not leaving you hungry, making bad choices, then by all means stick with it. But remember that is a lot different to a biological process of burning more calories.
  • meg0013
    meg0013 Posts: 102
    Options
    seriously, quit with the excuses. i'm a senior in college taking 18 credit hours and working 20 hours a week. there are plenty of places on campus that have things like protein bars or fruit and vegetables, and you can eat between classes. i'm SURE you don't have class all day every day.

if you only want to eat one meal a day, that's fine. do what works for you. but quit complaining about not having time to eat because you're in college, its bull. we really do have more free time now than we will later.
  • JasonD334
    JasonD334 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    seriously, quit with the excuses. i'm a senior in college taking 18 credit hours and working 20 hours a week. there are plenty of places on campus that have things like protein bars or fruit and vegetables, and you can eat between classes. i'm SURE you don't have class all day every day.

if you only want to eat one meal a day, that's fine. do what works for you. but quit complaining about not having time to eat because you're in college, its bull. we really do have more free time now than we will later.

The last part of this is probably the truest thing I've read in this entire post. I am a District Manager for 17 multimillion dollar properties roughly 10 hours a day, have 60 employees that report directly to me and have needs all day everyday, have a wife and daughter, work out 1-2hours a day, work @ home for another 2-3 hours a day, and still make time for the things I want and feel I need. Time is only an excuse if you make it one, otherwise it's called functional scheduling. -- Anyway this post is boring now, and I don't want to give the protector of the post anything else to talk about. You know who you are...lol.
  • M3CH4N1C
    M3CH4N1C Posts: 157
    Options
    Its better than eating nothing at all. Seriuosly, if you are talking optimum wieght loss, it would be better to spread out 1200 cal. into say 4 meals with a snack. Or just snack all day until you hit your limit. It will take a while but once your metabolic rate adjusts you will be burning calories like a jack rabbit running from a fox.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Its better than eating nothing at all. Seriuosly, if you are talking optimum wieght loss, it would be better to spread out 1200 cal. into say 4 meals with a snack. Or just snack all day until you hit your limit. It will take a while but once your metabolic rate adjusts you will be burning calories like a jack rabbit running from a fox.

I wish this myth would die