I only eat dinner...good or bad?

Options

Replies

• Squem8
    Squem8 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't know about it being good or bad but I also didnt use to eat breakfast and made the decision to commit to having breakfast every day.

It used to be difficult to face breakfast in the morning but the more I have eaten it the more I have got used to it and I now miss it if I dont have it, so I reckon your body gets used to your daily routine and if you did want to change your eating habits, you would probably adapt to it pretty quickly
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat breakfast to kick start your metabolism. That's Just what the breakfast cereal companies want you to believe. If you eat your calories and hit your macros in one sitting, you don't find yourself hungry then you have nothing to worry about.

I never eat breakfast anymore. I eat all of my calories in an 8 hour window more or less, I have tons of energy. I'm getting stronger at the gym and I'm losing weight at 1.5 to 2.5 pounds a weak.

I don't know when I've ever felt better in my life.

I suppose many nutritional experts work for cereal companies then... I don't buy it. -- In your case you may not eat breakfast, however you are continuing to lose weight because you are allowing your metabolism to continue to be active by giving it multiple sessions throughout the day in which you are giving it needed fuel. Eating all your calories over an 8 hour period is much different then eating all of them at one meal. Doing so will slow, if not halt, the active processes of a healthy metabolism. This is not scientific, but I feel if you're built with a smaller frame, then the regularity of a functioning metabolism is even more vital. That's just an opinion though

Your metabolism will not "halt"... you would be dead if it did.

Nutritionists recommend eating frequently because it stops you from getting too hungry and therefore stops you from binging and eating far too much. Some people find it is best for them to eat small meals throughout the day because it stops them from overeating and snacking. Some people find it better to eat once or twice a day.

It all comes down to what works best for each person. Some people can't eat in the morning because it makes them sick. Some people would prefer to eat one or two large meals later on in the day. Some people have to eat throughout the day to stop them from getting too hungry and overeating.

Eat whenever it works best for you. DOn't go based on what someone else says.

There is no truth to eating first thing in the morning hurts your metabolism. Eat when you want to eat.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    The only metabolic issue that could occur is that the OP may be restricting her calories too low depending on the duration of how long she has been in this low of a deficit and depending on her lifesytle/activity level.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    If my metabolism ever gets so broken that it has to be "kick-started", will somebody please put me out of my misery?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I know that everyone says that eating breakfast is important when you're trying to kickstart your metabolism during the day...but I honestly don't like eating food in the afternoon. Not only does it make me hungry all day, it kind of just makes me tired. I usually drink a few cups of coffee and water during the day, eat my 1200 calories at dinner and then go to the gym sometime at night. Also, when I do eat breakfast or lunch I feel like i'm more tempted to pig out at dinner. When I only eat dinner I get full very quickly. Any advice?

If it is working for you, then just keep doing it. The whole "you have to eat breakfast" thing is a myth.
  • whitneyps7
    whitneyps7 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    When you don't eat all day, your body thinks you're starving so it goes into fat storage mode. I don't like to eat breakfast either so I started drinking a protein shake and now it's routine. Food first thing kickstarts your metabolism for the day.

It takes 72 hours of not eating for the body to even consider it's in starvation.

^^i agree
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    For one thing, no meal should be more than 600 calories so you body can process it and it doesn't turn straight into fat and since the min calories per day is 1200 net then there is no way to get that in 1 meal.

You are also forcing your body to store fat by not feeding it.

Amd where did you get that info from?

No doubt! People come up with some weird stuff! My dinner is always between 600-100 calories, sometimes more.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Eat my way, it's the only way. Here is thread #2,546,876 discussing this, and this is why.

I'm sure only people who eat my way are doing it right. Carry on.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with it if that is what you are comfortable with. I prefer to graze all day long...
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    So you eat 1200 calories in one meal? What are you eating?

My opinion: it's bad. Very bad. Mainly because it's tough to eat enough fruits and veggies and lean meats in one meal to meet your dietary needs. Without seeing your diary, it's tough to comment on how good/bad your eating is.

I think you need to focus on being healthy and not just being skinny. It's not good to starve your body and then stuff it with food. Try to focus on eating all your fruits/veggies/proteins/fiber.

Why would it be tough? 1200 calories is plenty of room for meat/veggies/fruits/grains.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    ..................1200 net then there is no way to get that in 1 meal.........

I can most easily get 1,200 calories in one sitting, which is primarily why I'm here...I used to get around 1,000 + calories per meal 3x daily.

OP...my body burns 1,880 calories if I'm doing nothing...literally, if I was in a coma my body would burn 1,880 calories and the doctors would feed me that through a tube. So long as you are meeting your net calorie goal for the day and not miserable eating only once per day, I don't see a problem. At 1,880 calories per day that means I burn 78.34 calories per hour on average...or 1.31 calories per minute...I don't think my metabolism cares or knows what time it is when I eat...it's going to burn 1,880 calories regardless of whether I eat once per day or 5 times per day.

Personally, I couldn't do it...I'm a 5x per day eater now, otherwise I tend to binge and/or overfill my plate at meal times.
  • kam5507
    kam5507 Posts: 40
    Options
    When you don't eat all day, your body thinks you're starving so it goes into fat storage mode. I don't like to eat breakfast either so I started drinking a protein shake and now it's routine. Food first thing kickstarts your metabolism for the day.

Exactly what she said!!! It is horrible, I know because that is what I use to do. Eat ONE meal a day is the worse thing you can do for yourself. It is a struggle to get in the habit of eating more. Just prepackage some snacks atleast to start.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Some days I'll have six meals, sometimes I'll have two. It depends on my schedule, how I'm feeling, etc. As long as I meet all my daily goals, I don't care. Some days I don't even have a "meal", just like 8 snacks. Mmm, snacks.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    As long as your diet is nutritionally sound, you are getting a minimum of 1200 k/cal, and you aren't tempted to reduce your intake further, you should be fine.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Exactly what she said!!! It is horrible, I know because that is what I use to do. Eat ONE meal a day is the worse thing you can do for yourself. It is a struggle to get in the habit of eating more. Just prepackage some snacks atleast to start.

Eating once a day is only bad if you either snack because you are only eating once or fill that meal with too much crap.

Your metabolism doesn't need to be kickstarted. It is constantly working all day, all night regardless... unless you go days without giving it enough food.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

No....just no! It's not "Exactly what she said"!!! That information is incorrect!!!!! It is all about personal preference and lifestyle! Meal timing is of no importance!
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options

It takes 72 hours of not eating for the body to even consider it's in starvation.

exactly. i really wish people would stop repeating bad information. You will be fine.
  • jeroem_clemente
    Options
    it really depends on how you distribute your calorie intake for the day. if you've already consumed your intake for the day then definitely you will be forced not to eat dinner.

best practice probably is to head start and plan your meal for the day. by then, you'll get a visualizatiion of what you will consume and edit them as the day goes by. apples, boiled eggs are some of the food i take and makes me feel full and with very minimal calories.

avoid bread, rice and other carbs so you can play better with your calorie intake.
  • kathleenmary73
    kathleenmary73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    when you are asleep, you metabolism is resting, so when you wake up it needs to be fed so that it can work for you. Not eating breakfast isn't terrible, but only eating 1200 calories at one time? Not good at all. Think about it, your metabolism is slow to no all day because it does not have what it needs and then suddenly you not only feed it, you knock it down with a big meal and then you expect it to work efficiently to burn the calories and not store fat after you've starved it all day long. Then, you're going to go work out and tax your body even more; after eating you need a lot of energy to digest your meal, especially a big one. Doing a work out you are calling on your boy to send energy to the muscles--can you see how that can be a problem? But then again if it's working for you, it's your choice.
  • tracyann5891004
    Options
    I have eaten like this for last 2 years and lost 4 stone, just joined here for some motivation to get last stone and a bit off. I find if i eat breakfast im starving by 11am and cranky and then keep on eating, while fasting till 4pm during the day food is the last thing on my mind. I have a meal when i get in and a piece of fruit if needed in the evening, it works for me. food during the day makes me sluggish and bloated. Its whatever works for your body. Just dont take away my coffee!!