Gaining Muscle is NOT that easy.

Options
Maybe a mini rant.

I think women on here through out "you are gaining muscle" WAY too often. Gaining muscle is not as easy as you think ladies. doing the 30 day shred for 7 days sure isnt going to show a huge amount of muscle gain :P

From what I have read (numbers vary of course with different studies) a 12 week period of calorie surplus and a good lifting routine will show about a 4 lb muscle gain. If you are eating 1200 calories a day and not doing resistance training I highly doubt you are gaining muscle mass.

Like I said i think this is said WAY too much. If someone says they didn't lose or they gained one week, I see so many comments of women saying "its all muscle" or "don't worry its just muscle" and blah blah blah xD

/end rant

Replies

• jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I wish more people understood this, too.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Since this is for women, I might add that even 4lb/12 weeks might be generous.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Good rant.

With proper diet and heavy lifting, in your first year of training (the time when you can make the easiest muscle gains), 12 pounds of muscle is pretty much the limit. And that's with perfect conditions.

So people should know that they aren't gaining 5 pounds of muscle in their first month of lifting.

I've trained my a** off this year, and MAYBE added 5 pounds of muscle since january.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Since this is for women, I might add that even 4lb/12 weeks might be generous.

Oh i should have mentioned that this number was seen more often in men. Women were more likely to see 2-3 lbs.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    /agrees with rant
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    burning fat is a piece of freakin cake compared to building new muscle :cry:
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Unfortunately, it's not that easy for men to put muscle on either.

Men do have it easier though.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    burning fat is a piece of freakin cake compared to building new muscle :cry:

Dirk the Daring = Awesome =)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    *LOVE* Thank you for saying this! I get so tired of seeing "I gained 2 lbs in 5 days" and lots of responses are "don't worry hun, it's muscle!"
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Very true! Good post.
    Options
    Good rant.

With proper diet and heavy lifting, in your first year of training (the time when you can make the easiest muscle gains), 12 pounds of muscle is pretty much the limit. And that's with perfect conditions.

So people should know that they aren't gaining 5 pounds of muscle in their first month of lifting.

I've trained my a** off this year, and MAYBE added 5 pounds of muscle since january.

Exactly! And you are guy, so its easier for you to put on muscle then the women on here.

I have been lifting for a while now and still haven't seen really and muscle gain >.< One i start upping my calories I hope to!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Gaining jealousy is super easy, though.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree! My husband was on an intense lifting routine and was eating 3000 calories a day and was gaining 1 pound per week, most of which was muscle. (Seriously, he wasn't getting fat.) But he worked extremely hard and was constantly eating or was drinking protein shakes. You have to WORK to build new muscle tissue, it doesn't just happen.
  • STrubacz
    Options
    It's nice to say it to sound supportive and encouraging, but if it's not the truth, it'll only hurt in the long run. People will constantly think they're building muscle when really, they've just gained weight and may need to work harder the next week. Trust me, I'm one of those people! I'm at the plateau stage right now, and there are weeks I gain and weeks I lose. It's so frustrating... but I know I'm not building muscle because I'm definitely not doing as much strength training as I should!!!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

I have been lifting for a while now and still haven't seen really and muscle gain >.< One i start upping my calories I hope to!

squats, deads, and heavy rows :)
    Options

squats, deads, and heavy rows :)

Oh trust me I don't skip squats or deads :D those are my favorite!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    It takes a man a good solid month of weight lifting to gain 2 lbs of muscle. So yeah any of that "it's muscle" stuff is usually people that don't really understand how the body works.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Fianlly. Weight gain can be fluid in the muscle (inlfamation) but not muscle mass.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Haha- it's just like a girl saying "maybe he's out of town, or there really WAS an emergency, which is why he didn't call you." It's bull. We tell ourselves lies to make ourselves feel good. But that's what they are. Lies. Good rant.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Well said...and it needed to be said.

Sadly, we'll see "you're gaining muscle and muscle weighs more than fat" in response to the next "I've been working out and eating good for 2 WHOLE weeks and haven't lost" post....