A question for fellow MFP users

Options

Replies

• SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    It is humorous that there seems to have been no complaints about this thread either.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/371100-ladies

Didn't see this thread before, so THANK YOU for point it out! Yum!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    While we debate this the mods are going around to a number of my friends and deleting their pictures. Why waste our breath?

Make people feel unwanted and they leave.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    I get irritated with people posting their *kitten* pics here because I have to look at them, which causes me to get no work done when I'm at the office. Thanks for all of the distractions! :flowerforyou:
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Ok so alot of people seem to have a problem with some of the pictures on this site,and it got me thinking about some of the ads I see.
    Now there has been A LOT of fuss over pictures people consider too risque,this is my question to those who have an issue with the pictures. I am not trying to attack,or start a war here im just generally curious if thoses pictures bother you because you log in from work or around your kids does having to see ads like this one bother you?
    Z_Performance_160x600-1.jpg

Now ive never put up booty pics or anything like that but ive always just viewed them as progress pics.I know others dont for the work/kids reasons I listed before. I just dont see the diffrence myself so I thought I would ask

Well it's no secret as far as I go. . I don't want my daughter walking by the computer seeing breasts or bottoms in the camera. . a bikini where you are standing back from the camera to show progress is perfectly fine. . nothing wrong with that. . So I just think it comes down to how you present the picture. .

Believe me when I get my boxing body back I will be showing my progress. . . but I think there are limits . . for me a tank top and shorts can show my progress just fine. . or perhaps a bathing suit.

Ok but you didnt answer the question about the picture i posted from the ad that is all over mfp. So do you have a problem with your daughter seeing that since it is a close up a butt i just cropped out the words on the ad. And if you dont why not?
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I have suggested 2 or 3 times to make viewing profile pictures optional. The way pictures are being deleted seems arbitrary and unbalanced.

Also...I think it is ironic that as I type this, I see a zumba ad that has a girl with what looks like her panties showing. *gasp*
  • Cupcake_Anonymous
    Options
    I have suggested 2 or 3 times to make viewing profile pictures optional. The way pictures are being deleted seems arbitrary and unbalanced.

How about just stop whining about the whole subject?
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options

Also...I think it is ironic that as I type this, I see a zumba ad that has a girl with what looks like her panties showing. *gasp*

it should totally be optional. I'm saddened.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    You make a great point... there are several adds that show women in bikinis or tight clothing... and that freaky jacked grandpa... I wonder if that is because most fitness related things include people's bodies...

I knew a website where all sorts of people would post their progress pictures and have fun with their friends.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    Jade come back so far your the only one who has an issue with those kind of pictures but you did not answer the question I asked
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options

I did see Mike's comment about "if you can wear it to work it's probably OK" - well I've just accepted a position at a topless club.....
    Great point, I love it!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Ok so alot of people seem to have a problem with some of the pictures on this site,and it got me thinking about some of the ads I see.
    Now there has been A LOT of fuss over pictures people consider too risque,this is my question to those who have an issue with the pictures. I am not trying to attack,or start a war here im just generally curious if thoses pictures bother you because you log in from work or around your kids does having to see ads like this one bother you?

Now ive never put up booty pics or anything like that but ive always just viewed them as progress pics.I know others dont for the work/kids reasons I listed before. I just dont see the diffrence myself so I thought I would ask

Well it's no secret as far as I go. . I don't want my daughter walking by the computer seeing breasts or bottoms in the camera. . a bikini where you are standing back from the camera to show progress is perfectly fine. . nothing wrong with that. . So I just think it comes down to how you present the picture. .

Believe me when I get my boxing body back I will be showing my progress. . . but I think there are limits . . for me a tank top and shorts can show my progress just fine. . or perhaps a bathing suit.

That's you. It's just too bad that we aren't subjected to the same rules as everything else in society. You watch TV? You will see and hear more, much more there than you would ever think of seeing here! we ARE adults. You are supposed to be to be on this site (though clearly that is only lightly enforced). PG-13 is pretty clear as far as the standards that should be enforced - no nudity. If you see nipple (ridiculous in and of itself that it is considered adult only - IMO), or crotch that's inappropriate. But seriously, unless you live in Gnome or Fairbanks, maybe Moscow, you see more during the summer on the sidewalks of Anytown USA, or at any public beach. Adults should be treated like adults.
  • DevoteeofIset
    DevoteeofIset Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hmm.

1. This is a site for a group of people to support each other during the process of losing/gaining weight and getting healthy.
    All tv infomercials of fitness products all want before and after pics in minimal clothes.

With that in mind, it is a no-brainer to think people are going to have pics with skimpy clothes on especially as the weight starts coming off.
    And for the most part these are very VERY VERY inspirational... Let me say this again - VERY inspirational to most people who look at the progress.

When you are facing a bad day the last thing you can visualize is being thin and putting that chocolate down. Progress seems so far away. So seeing these pictures helps pull people from the food cliff of despair.

Sure, people probably can go overboard and possibly through the jubilee of success but that doesn't mean that some moderator should come by and delete the pictures.

If people find these pictures offensive, they need to exercise their right to not go to that person's page, skip their blog/topic post if you are offended by profile pic, or log off MFP. It is sickening to see so many people who can't take accountability for their own life and options and expect some "authority" to shield them from seeing anything, making any decisions or thinking for themselves.

Sheesh. I hope MFP shapes up and devises some plan, because although I love this site so far, if they go all censorship on pictures, what is next and I can't support that.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options

Ok but you didnt answer the question about the picture i posted from the ad that is all over mfp. So do you have a problem with your daughter seeing that since it is a close up a butt i just cropped out the words on the ad. And if you dont why not?

There is a difference between that which is entirely covered and someone wearing underwear and having the camera that close. . But to each their own. . I don't want her viewing scantily clad males or females. . That is my personal preference. . I have problems with a lot of the commercials and programs as well due to this. . so I also limit our viewing of tv.. . Everyone has different views in life and there is nothing wrong with being different. . it is what makes us unique.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'm offended by this ad: seriously, the look on her face is ridiculous. It's an ad for men, too- do men really want to go on an eDiet and look like her?? Or I could take the ad in an entirely different direction and think really dirty things about the advertisement and then I'm majorly offended! So I sincerely wish MFP would take it down. :-p

ugh.jpg
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to repeat myself again, but here's the abbreviated version of my opinion.

If you want contol, start your own site. Otherwise, stay and deal with it, or deactivate and don't deal with it.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    [guote]

[/quote]

That's you. It's just too bad that we aren't subjected to the same rules as everything else in society. You watch TV? You will see and hear more, much more there than you would ever think of seeing here! we ARE adults. You are supposed to be to be on this site (though clearly that is only lightly enforced). PG-13 is pretty clear as far as the standards that should be enforced - no nudity. If you see nipple (ridiculous in and of itself that it is considered adult only - IMO), or crotch that's inappropriate. But seriously, unless you live in Gnome or Fairbanks, maybe Moscow, you see more during the summer on the sidewalks of Anytown USA, or at any public beach. Adults should be treated like adults.
    [/quote]

Precisely. .and as a Christian mom. . we don't watch much tv for that very reason. . because there are too many risque scenes and foul language and such. . so I preview all programs that my daughter is allowed to view. . we watch things like sing off, biggest loser, x-factor, and of couse (selected cartoons)
  • Cupcake_Anonymous
    Options
    STOP WHINING ABOUT THIS. I'm seriously starting to think some of you are mentally challenged. Mike said no, he is the owner and what he says go. End of story. Don't like it, then leave.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    Sheesh. I hope MFP shapes up and devises some plan, because although I love this site so far, if they go all censorship on pictures, what is next and I can't support that.

They already have.

That being said,I love the rest of your post and agree 100% it is so awesome to see the pics of people that were in the same place as me an kicked *kitten* to have an amazing body.Somedays when I felt like giving up it was the pics on this site that kept me going