A question for fellow MFP users

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Folks - let's keep the topic on track. Please do not hijack the topic and derail it by discussing matters not related to the original topic - it's not polite and against the forum rules.

Awwww, but I love football Mike and you said banana hammock...

Ok, fair's fair. I will stop.

Thank you! I have been wondering ALL day about what exactly a banana hammock is, but didn't want to sound like an idiot by asking. I am not sure why but your post just helped me figure it out. :laugh:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    My opinion on the ads - some of them are risque and some are gross, but everything is a matter of opinion.

As to the matter of the pictures and kids, here's my view -

I was raised Roman Catholic, couldn't wear anything suggestive, couldn't see anything suggestive, MTV not allowed, no dating, no parties, no talking to boys, etc etc. I lashed out the moment I could and rebelled, and I ended up paying the price later on for my stupidity (but that's another subject).

There are things that are appropriate and things that are not depending on the age. As parents it's our JOB to TEACH what is appropriate and what is not, instead of them trying to figure it out in secret or behind our backs. My daughter (age 9, but in middle school already) knows that what is okay for a 14 yo girl to wear is not okay for her to wear. I taught her this not by hiding the world from her but by teaching her.

As for the actual pictures there are pictures that are not appropriate for kids, but what are kids doing on here? What are kids doing over your shoulder on a diet website? I'd be more concerned about the side effect of your child worrying so much about their own eating that they develop an eating disorder. There are malware, pop ups, viruses all over the place. If you're researching breast cancer, what do you think is going to come up? Do you want your kid to see an inappropriate pop-up?

Yes there are rules here and if you're here you should follow them, but if PG13 is the rule then nothing really that I've seen has really crossed the line. And again it circles back to someone's opinion of what is okay and is not versus what is ACTUALLY okay and what is not.

anyways....my 2 cents.

Love it. I have 2 young boys, not old enough yet to understand what something sexual is, but they do understand dieting, fat and skinny. If I had a girl around too, I would be even more careful not to display this site. My goal is to teach my kids at their very young age how to have a healthy lifestyle that they can follow forever, not bouncing between diets. There is stuff all over at school, in stores and in public that is my responsibility to teach them about. I need to make sure that I prioritize my time to give them that knowledge.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    My opinion on the ads - some of them are risque and some are gross, but everything is a matter of opinion.

As to the matter of the pictures and kids, here's my view -

I was raised Roman Catholic, couldn't wear anything suggestive, couldn't see anything suggestive, MTV not allowed, no dating, no parties, no talking to boys, etc etc. I lashed out the moment I could and rebelled, and I ended up paying the price later on for my stupidity (but that's another subject).

There are things that are appropriate and things that are not depending on the age. As parents it's our JOB to TEACH what is appropriate and what is not, instead of them trying to figure it out in secret or behind our backs. My daughter (age 9, but in middle school already) knows that what is okay for a 14 yo girl to wear is not okay for her to wear. I taught her this not by hiding the world from her but by teaching her.

As for the actual pictures there are pictures that are not appropriate for kids, but what are kids doing on here? What are kids doing over your shoulder on a diet website? I'd be more concerned about the side effect of your child worrying so much about their own eating that they develop an eating disorder. There are malware, pop ups, viruses all over the place. If you're researching breast cancer, what do you think is going to come up? Do you want your kid to see an inappropriate pop-up?

Yes there are rules here and if you're here you should follow them, but if PG13 is the rule then nothing really that I've seen has really crossed the line. And again it circles back to someone's opinion of what is okay and is not versus what is ACTUALLY okay and what is not.

anyways....my 2 cents.

Love it. I have 2 young boys, not old enough yet to understand what something sexual is, but they do understand dieting, fat and skinny. If I had a girl around too, I would be even more careful not to display this site. My goal is to teach my kids at their very young age how to have a healthy lifestyle that they can follow forever, not bouncing between diets. There is stuff all over at school, in stores and in public that is my responsibility to teach them about. I need to make sure that I prioritize my time to give them that knowledge.

Well my daughter of course knows that I am trying to lose weight, but she has also been taught how to eat healthy. . I used to box.. and am studying nutrition as well as I am certifying to be a physical trainer. . so she gets plenty of versing in eating healthy. . without me making a point to do so. . It is just part of our life and has been for a long time. My weight gain came from difficult circumstances in my life beyond my control, not because I am not equiped with the tools to be in shape.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Thank you for answering my question,thats all I really wanted to know lol
    My ads are normally the one I posted,and relgious ones oddly enough ,and cars lol

Yeah, religious ads actually (truly) greatly offend me, so I report those to TPTB each and every time I see them.
  • couponfun
    couponfun Posts: 714 Member
    Options

Well my daughter of course knows that I am trying to lose weight, but she has also been taught how to eat healthy. . I used to box.. and am studying nutrition as well as I am certifying to be a physical trainer. . so she gets plenty of versing in eating healthy. . without me making a point to do so. . It is just part of our life and has been for a long time. My weight gain came from difficult circumstances in my life beyond my control, not because I am not equiped with the tools to be in shape.

I don't want you to think I was referring to you specifically, BTW...I'd been on this site before and have seen the "not safe for kids" issue come up several times, hence why I made the statement. So i wanted to make that clear :flowerforyou:

It's just I grew up on the side of being shielded at all times and man, it was not good.

I guess my main point is that each person has an opinion, and if people are going to be banned/have pics taken down it needs to be less arbitrary. That, and they should have a groups area (which has been in the "works" for a couple of years it seems) where people can go in, joke how they want, post what they want, etc, and then a general weight loss area. Although, to be honest, serious weight loss/successes/etc would PROBABLY NOT BE FOUND in the Chit-Chat, fun and games section. Just me, though.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options

I don't want you to think I was referring to you specifically, BTW...I'd been on this site before and have seen the "not safe for kids" issue come up several times, hence why I made the statement. So i wanted to make that clear :flowerforyou:

It's just I grew up on the side of being shielded at all times and man, it was not good.

I guess my main point is that each person has an opinion, and if people are going to be banned/have pics taken down it needs to be less arbitrary. That, and they should have a groups area (which has been in the "works" for a couple of years it seems) where people can go in, joke how they want, post what they want, etc, and then a general weight loss area. Although, to be honest, serious weight loss/successes/etc would PROBABLY NOT BE FOUND in the Chit-Chat, fun and games section. Just me, though.

You're awesome. . I love this. . .:smile:
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    So I guess I need to state it one more time. . Inappropriate sites are blocked on my computer due to content to protect my daughter. . as well as I screen the tv shows that she is allowed to view. . It is my preference. . due to my own personal beliefs. Everyone has their own beliefs and standards and I will not tell others what to do in their home. . but I do not want to turn on MFP which is here for help and support and have my daughter view inappropriate images. . that should not happen in this setting.

Yeah okay, you should feel free to raise your daughter in the manner which you feel is appropriate.

My problem with your statements, though, is that you are forcing me to accept your version of appropriate. Believe me, my definition on appripriate or the right way to raise a child varies HUGELY from yours. And I guess I don't understand why I should have to follow your beliefs, rather than there being a middle ground somewhere where, maybe, just maybe, you might have to stratech your behaviors or what you see mildly, as would I.

As a non-Christian, I feel the difference between you and me on this site. I feel often that on MFP I am being slapped in the face with "God Jesus Christian Pray Bible" stuff that I do, truly, find to be offensive. It would be nice if I did not feel like this so very often here.

I do NOT feel this on a site like Ravelry - and NOT just because of the existence of groups. I don't know that groups will "solve" anything. There is built in code on Ravelry that allows one to hide a specific Ravatar, and even go so far as to hide a specific person's posts, if desired. This solved SO VERY MANY problems in the forums there. Groups did not. Does anyone (who is or has been a Ravelry member) remember the McCain vs. Obama group problems of 2008 and how a LOT of people got permanently banned from Ravelry for the shenanigans?
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options
    I have seen pictures where they are not wearing much on biggest loser. What do you do in the summer? Are your children not allowed to go to the beach? Are they homeschooled? I walked into a grade school hallway, and those kids were wearing next to nothing! Booties hanging out, shirts too small and too tight. That was in a public setting, not on a website. If you limit the access to these other images, why don't you limit yourself from this site and other websites since they are not in your standards?

So I guess I need to state it one more time. . Inappropriate sites are blocked on my computer due to content to protect my daughter. . as well as I screen the tv shows that she is allowed to view. . It is my preference. . due to my own personal beliefs. Everyone has their own beliefs and standards and I will not tell others what to do in their home. . but I do not want to turn on MFP which is here for help and support and have my daughter view inappropriate images. . that should not happen in this setting.

As for her schooling I said it earlier. . there is a very strict dress code in place at her school prohibiting scant clothing, alcohol adds, half shirts, cleavage, anything that would distract students from their learning experience. . As for the beach. . yes people wear suits, but they are not right up in your face. . Like I said there is nothing wrong with wearing bikinis and such. . I love them. . it is how they are presented. .

My daughter told her cousin when he visited last time. . that walking around topless was inappropriate and that he needed a shirt. . lol. . I had to tell her it is different for guys.

EDIT: for the record. . I don't total shelter my daughter because I think that is wrong, but I do teach her what I believe to be the difference between right and wrong. . just because other kids do things does not make them something I want my daughter involved in. . It is my job to raise my daughter in a Christianly fashion. . and I will continue to do so to the best of my ability as I am nowhere near perfect. .

I re-read my post and realize it sounds kind of judge-y. That was not its intent. Rather, I was just looking for input on how you deal with it in real life.
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options

Even with the tools and understanding on how to be in shape and healthy, it is easy to lost that part of our lives. I used to run distance, ate very healthy, and stopped. There were reasons why, life happened. I just hope for better for my kids, like you do too.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

Yeah okay, you should feel free to raise your daughter in the manner which you feel is appropriate.

My problem with your statements, though, is that you are forcing me to accept your version of appropriate. Believe me, my definition on appripriate or the right way to raise a child varies HUGELY from yours. And I guess I don't understand why I should have to follow your beliefs, rather than there being a middle ground somewhere where, maybe, just maybe, you might have to stratech your behaviors or what you see mildly, as would I.

As a non-Christian, I feel the difference between you and me on this site. I feel often that on MFP I am being slapped in the face with "God Jesus Christian Pray Bible" stuff that I do, truly, find to be offensive. It would be nice if I did not feel like this so very often here.

I do NOT feel this on a site like Ravelry - and NOT just because of the existence of groups. I don't know that groups will "solve" anything. There is built in code on Ravelry that allows one to hide a specific Ravatar, and even go so far as to hide a specific person's posts, if desired. This solved SO VERY MANY problems in the forums there. Groups did not. Does anyone (who is or has been a Ravelry member) remember the McCain vs. Obama group problems of 2008 and how a LOT of people got permanently banned from Ravelry for the shenanigans?

I don't know what a Ravelry is but I'm a member of other forums and the ignore function is a HUGE help. Both to us mods and users. If you don't like someone, if you don't like what they say or their pictures you just click ignore and you never see anything from them again. This way you can be as safe as you like and others don't have to feel censored. If there's someone you don't like they disappear.

What's telling is that you see people who want to report others, but won't use the ignore function. They feel they shouldn't have to. Those are the ones just looking to start trouble. Most everyone here just wants to be themselves and either avoid body pictures or show off their success. There can be room for both.

An ignore function would save the mods here a TON of headaches.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options

Well I too use ravelry. . as I am a knitter and it is my business. . As for MFP and christianity. . we are not allowed to post things in reference to that in the threads anymore than people are allowed to post those types of pictures. .

We ALL have to follow the guidelines and rules of the site. . it is not just a select group of people. . believe me if I say anything I shouldn't I get talked to be the Moderators about it. . So I do my best to follow the rules that have been set forth.

As for groups. . I think it will be great. .because then like-minded individuals can express their views and feel open to do so. . My Christianity is a huge part of my fitness journey as it is others. . As people like to post progress pictures. . We should all have an area where we are free to be ourselves and be able to support and care for our friends. . but for now if friends want to show things that are not appropriate on here. . there is always email. . . .or pms. . Just my thoughts.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong. . I don't want a group of friends that is only Christian as I celebrate uniqueness and individuality. . That is what makes life interesting.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options

I don't know what a Ravelry is but I'm a member of other forums and the ignore function is a HUGE help. Both to us mods and users. If you don't like someone, if you don't like what they say or their pictures you just click ignore and you never see anything from them again. This way you can be as safe as you like and others don't have to feel censored. If there's someone you don't like they disappear.

What's telling is that you see people who want to report others, but won't use the ignore function. They feel they shouldn't have to. Those are the ones just looking to start trouble. Most everyone here just wants to be themselves and either avoid body pictures or show off their success. There can be room for both.

An ignore function would save the mods here a TON of headaches.

Much agreed. . and I know that was brought up to Mike and he said they would look into it.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Options

Even with the tools and understanding on how to be in shape and healthy, it is easy to lost that part of our lives. I used to run distance, ate very healthy, and stopped. There were reasons why, life happened. I just hope for better for my kids, like you do too.

Absolutely. . I want her to be healthy . . . thankfully she loves to run the track at school. . . :bigsmile: I wish I had just a bit of that energy. .
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I've seen this ad... It's on MFP right now. Strange that this would be allowed here...

Your profile picture offends me. Reported.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else wonder if Mike saves the "innappropriate" pictures to his hard drive before deleting them? :laugh:

Just kidding Mike. I believe the OP makes a really great point. We do get ads on here that show images similar to what you won't allow by members.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Much agreed. . and I know that was brought up to Mike and he said they would look into it.
    I tried the "Ignore" option on another forum. Finally I cancelled it because I wondered if they were talking about me.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Our avatars are only 95x95 pixels. I know I have wicked bad eyesight, but sometimes I can't even figure out what an av is until I click on the profile and see the enlarged image. Is that cleavage? Buttcrack? An elbow? I don't know!

For instance: http://stupidstuff.org/*kitten*_elbow/

So... I'M offended that some of your kids or coworkers have such eagle-eye vision that they can spot something naughty by simply passing by a computer, and I'm getting a crease between my brows from squinting! :laugh:
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options

Is that cleavage? Buttcrack? An elbow?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Our avatars are only 95x95 pixels. I know I have wicked bad eyesight, but sometimes I can't even figure out what an av is until I click on the profile and see the enlarged image. Is that cleavage? Buttcrack? An elbow? I don't know!

So... I'M offended that some of your kids or coworkers have such eagle-eye vision that they can spot something naughty by simply passing by a computer, and I'm getting a crease between my brows from squinting! :laugh:

/\ LOVE THIS! So true!
  • couponfun
    couponfun Posts: 714 Member
    Options

THIS!!!!! Too funny!